Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Just an FYI for those not-so-virtuous goons: If you've had a VAC ban at any point you can't connect to online. A workaround is using the Family Sharing feature to use another account and play online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I was having a White screen crash, but fixed it on a hd6870.

I have a dual monitors using 2 DVI to hdmi. One goes to a monitor the other a hdtv. I switched it so only the monitor is enabled and Dark Souls booted up. Also have GPU Scaling enabled.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
Valve needs to have an unban feature for VAC. After a certain amount of time reverse the VAC ban. There's no reason to ban people forever.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
It's cool to see people progress by how many ratings my i did it!! message gets on the lone giant when there were 0 messages there.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Just got to Majula, taking a quick break to post here and run some errands.

Holy loving poo poo, I love how this game looks. The art is as fantastic as ever, and really benefits from being run at 1080p, and the animations (so far) seem so much more fluid than the first game that I'm wondering how I'll ever go back. Dual wielding, in particular, with my new Swordswoman character, feels way less janky than it did whenever I tried it in DS1. Only died once, too. Jumped in a pit in the Betwixt with a guy, then got surprised when he and his rear end in a top hat archer friend started actually doing more than a sliver of damage to me, unlike the earlier enemies I'd faced.

This is gonna be a good loving game you guys. :allears:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
This game is really really good. I've already seen three or four tough guys I skipped, but I'm sure someone skilled could've beaten them all at low sl :v:

Think tomorrow I'll pick up from the bonfire I was at, can't be far from a boss (just died to a bunch of guys in a room with ballistae)

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

After 100 hours on PS3, the load times in this version are astonishing.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
And now I am ready... I am ready for fights!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Ceive posted:

I was having a White screen crash, but fixed it on a hd6870.

I have a dual monitors using 2 DVI to hdmi. One goes to a monitor the other a hdtv. I switched it so only the monitor is enabled and Dark Souls booted up. Also have GPU Scaling enabled.

I'm only using one monitor, and it does not have a DVI entry. Will retry with GPU scaling though!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

It's whatever key you have bound to "two hand weapon", like Dark Souls 1, except in menus where it's whatever you have bound to "Function 1" in the menu keybinds (unlike Dark Souls 1, where it was just hardbound to "insert").

I feel like the OP is gonna need a FAQ on, at least with default or key bind options, what keyboard commands correspond to what ps3 buttons ingame. And other tips for us mouse+keyboard diehards.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So how do ripostes work now? I just parried some guy using a poison club thing and didn't get any kind of riposte-action, especially not when the backstab animation is a long, drawn-out beatdown. I thought it was supposed to knock them flat.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
Prepare to look cute and feel cute!

Mondlicht fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 25, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

You feel incredibly sluggish compared to DS1. It takes just a moment to perform just about any action, even raising your shield, which has led to a lot of bullshit deaths. I hate it but I guess I'll get used to it.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Ravenfood posted:

So how do ripostes work now? I just parried some guy using a poison club thing and didn't get any kind of riposte-action...

Yep ditto here. Hope those aren't gone; smashing a guy in the face with a boulder on a stick while he's knocked on his rear end is the best.

The high frame rate is feeling a little to crisp I find. Just going to take some getting used to compared to the seemingly really thick air that exists in Lordran.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pmchem posted:

I feel like the OP is gonna need a FAQ on, at least with default or key bind options, what keyboard commands correspond to what ps3 buttons ingame. And other tips for us mouse+keyboard diehards.

It's kind of funny, I've played a grand total of 30 minutes of Dark Souls II but I already feel like an expert doling out advice on M+KB woes having dealt with the mouse/keyboard controls in Dark Souls I.

Right off the bat I recommend swapping anything in the mouse commands menu that says "left click" to "right click" and vice-versa.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

How do I get rid of this dumb mouse cursor?

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Anyone know where the save files are located? Apparently this game doesn't use cloud save!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Pressing 'B' on a ladder doesn't do what it used to.

Edit: Mustache remains dapper even while hollow!

Sauer fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 25, 2014

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
Man, the framerate makes this feel like a whole new game. It's actually a little discombobulating to have everything look this smooth in a Souls game, gonna need to get used to it.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Tip / complaint: the mace you can buy from the blacksmith is amazing both because of stats and the extra damage from strike weapons. However, it is so awesome it is easy to feel like other weapons are a downgrade so its hard not to keep using it for way too long.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gently caress no man's wharf. Please tell me there's somewhere else I can go after Dragonrider?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Tip / complaint: the mace you can buy from the blacksmith is amazing both because of stats and the extra damage from strike weapons. However, it is so awesome it is easy to feel like other weapons are a downgrade so its hard not to keep using it for way too long.

Yeah, Strike damage in general is incredibly strong in DS2. It tears through any heavily-armored enemy. There's a reason dual powerstanced maces are the Speedrun weapon of choice, and it's not just the low stat req.

Bobnumerotres posted:

gently caress no man's wharf. Please tell me there's somewhere else I can go after Dragonrider?

Go back to Forest of the Giants and kill the other boss there, it takes you to the same place as No Man's Wharf does when completed.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Bobnumerotres posted:

You feel incredibly sluggish compared to DS1. It takes just a moment to perform just about any action, even raising your shield, which has led to a lot of bullshit deaths. I hate it but I guess I'll get used to it.

Raise ADP.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
So I've unplugged the HDMI going to my tv and enabled GPU scaling but it still crashes on startup. What the hell?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm just glad I can finally get silly skin tones without having to break the character creator.

Kind of shocked I already saw the Moonlight Greatsword though. Not something you'd expect a random guy to be carrying around.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
RE: Riposte animations. Wait until the enemy's rear end is on the ground then light attack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just blitzed through to the boss of forest of giants but I can't get back to Pate for the soapstone. Someone want to lend a hand with directions from the second bonfire? This place is a maze.

quote:

Pressing 'B' on a ladder doesn't do what it used to.

Hold up or down and do it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DSauer posted:

RE: Riposte animations. Wait until the enemy's rear end is on the ground then light attack.
Fantastic, going to give this a try. I was attacking too early, then?

Also, anyone have any idea why the game seems to minimize itself every so often? poo poo gets me killed.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
Looks like this may genuinely be patch 1.01 because I got the weird disabled from online play after a failed summoning bug.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Where do you find the torch? I feel like I picked one up right beside the first bonefire but I couldn't find it when I checked the inventory later on.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
I'm getting absolutely rocked. I think I've died at least 20 times already and I'm probably only an hour into the game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Laughing Zealot posted:

Where do you find the torch? I feel like I picked one up right beside the first bonefire but I couldn't find it when I checked the inventory later on.

I believe it shows up as a timer in your inventory screen. You don't equip it, per se, but you enable it at any bonfire by toggling the action from "Rest at bonfire" to "Light torch".

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
This is stupid. But it works.

Press Windows key + P when the game is on the white screen. It's suddenly working for me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So why is my regular white sign soapstone not working? Trying to bro-op with a friend for the forest boss (big dude with hole in his face) and place my sign before the fog door but it's just greyed out. I restarted the game a couple times after downloading the update that just came out and still nothing.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

After starting a new game it just sends me to a black screen. Steam overlay and all that work fine but I have to alt-tab and shut the game down. Restarting after the install and running in windowed mode didn't help. Am I the only one with this problem?

Edit: Also the game cache validates perfectly.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 25, 2014

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Internet Kraken posted:

Kind of shocked I already saw the Moonlight Greatsword though. Not something you'd expect a random guy to be carrying around.

It does look like it, doesn't it?

Pwnstar posted:

How do I get rid of this dumb mouse cursor?

I'd like to know this as well. Cursor is pissing me off.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS

Azran posted:

This is stupid. But it works.

Press Windows key + P when the game is on the white screen. It's suddenly working for me.

Didn't work. :(

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Mondlicht posted:

Prepare to look cute and feel cute!

I'm already fabulous (dont really think I need to spoil this but eh, whatever)

SuicideSnowman posted:

I'm getting absolutely rocked. I think I've died at least 20 times already and I'm probably only an hour into the game.

I died 4 times in the tutorial because I am an idiot.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
So I'm guessing going to the place with the giant stone-wearing armour guys is like going straight to the catacombs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I died a few times to bad positioning and the first miniboss who gets airdropped by a griffon. That was a rough one.