Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

The fact that VAC isn't mentioned anywhere on the store page is kinda hosed up.

It wasn't mentioned on the rust page either when they banned me for using mumble as a crosshair. :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Do weapons degrade faster now? It feels like weapons breakdown faster. The number of things I've had to beat to death with my fist is growing. Keep losing god damned soul stacks.

It's like the first time I played DS1 all over again.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Tasoth posted:

Do weapons degrade faster now? It feels like weapons breakdown faster. The number of things I've had to beat to death with my fist is growing. Keep losing god damned soul stacks.

Everything breaks faster than in DS1. You also get free repairs at bonfires (unless something is completely broken) to even it out.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Where is this tutorial area y'all are talking about?

After character creation, i wandered through a door and took a left somwhere to kill two blighted ghouls and got cockblocked by a petrified corpse in front of a switch. And met the irishest dude.
Then got to Majula and met the Crestfallen Warrior and a lady who told me i could now level up but wouldn't let me. Went down some tunnel near the bonfire with a working switch, fell/drowned to my first death because it was dark as poo poo and i thought i could just run to that waterstream. Nope, chasm.
Then suddenly i'm in the forest of everlasting trees or something and fight off zombies. Good thing i know Dark Souls 1 'cause the game sure didn't tell me how to fight. Then i find a white dude chiling under a tree and a white fogged passage and nowhere left to go, so i warped back to Majula.

I feel like i'm missing something, there should be messages explaining how poo poo works a la DS1, right? I only found the one tombstone near the first bonfire that was obviously a tutorial hint.
Do you just not walk up to fogwalls or something?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Got summoned along with another guy in Forest of Fallen Giants and got lead to (boss spoilers) the one-time mini encounter with Pursuer. When we killed him, by sheer chance I did the Warcry emote at the exact same time. Funniest drat thing, synchronised screams of triumph.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dezztroy posted:

Everything breaks faster than in DS1. You also get free repairs at bonfires (unless something is completely broken) to even it out.

You can hold three weapons in each hand now, so I guess everyone should start carrying backups for their backups.

quote:

Funniest drat thing, synchronised screams of triumph.

War-cry and the one where you do that sweet wrestler's pose are my new favorites.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Class: Pugilist

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stay classy internet.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm playing with my PS3 controller, and every time I open the menu or talk to an NPC my mouse pointer appears in the center of the screen. Is anyone else dealing with this? Can I stop this nonsense?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Fooma posted:

drat this game looks nice with all the tweaks.

Best thing to come out of this thread so far. :allears:

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Shab posted:

That's actually much more viable than you might realize.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So I installed the game on my laptop and the framerate was too low for online play, so I tried it on my desktop and it crashed on startup. I looked online and people were saying enabling GPU scaling or switching from hdmi to DVI would fix it but that hasn't worked for me, anyone have a smiler problem/solution. Otherwise I'm stuck offline with a choppy framerate.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Tasoth posted:

Basically how it works now is think of your weapon health as regular health. Bonfire repairs it but once it breaks you have to repair it. You should avoid letting it break as much as you can because repairing is a bitch. If you can eat the equip load use a secondary weapon, otherwise at least have it ready to go in your inventory. It usually isnt a problem except on certain levels that have long stretches between bonfire or none at at all No Man's Wharf

Certain weapons like whips degrade REALLY fast, like after a handful of enemies. Keep in mind there's also substances that will break your equipment.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I went to a place and a crow dropped this giant flying knight guy on me. Now that i want to fight him he won't show up again. Anyone know what's up with that?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Are any console players noticing a marked difference in graphics? I haven't been following the thread closely

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I went to a place and a crow dropped this giant flying knight guy on me. Now that i want to fight him he won't show up again. Anyone know what's up with that?

Don't worry about it, you'll be seeing more of him later. That's just a one-time optional opportunity to fight him early.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Boss who shows up a few times, the first one is optional but beating him gives you early extra prizes

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Matlock Birthmark posted:

When you were walking on the path to Majula, did you see all those mist doors. Entering those is the tutorial area. First one on left has the basic message signs with how to attack and all that.

Hm, i walked up to the first three or so of those fog doors, noticed that i couldn't walk through and got no prompt to do so either (like in the first game), and then skipped the rest of them.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Cicadalek posted:

I dropped a white summon sign as soon as i got it and was immediately summoned by someone who I helped until he died to the last giant, just before the boss died itself. "Hope that guys game isnt hosed or something", I thought to myself.

Then I fought the boss myself and the exact same thing happened. I'm scared to look :(

Ahaha I wonder if that was me. Where you a Cleric? I saw whoever it was finish him off as I died. I had to fight him again.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hahaha, clicked a bloodstain near the edge of a cliff in the main hub. Some guy tried to do the warcry emote at the sun, but the end of the animation made him fall off the cliff. The last thing you see is him turning around in panic. This game is so good.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can you summon your friend via Steam??

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bef posted:

Can you summon your friend via Steam??
You can't in console fwiw. There's a weird ring that supposedly helps match you but I never bothered with it

EightBit posted:

Streaming blind run on hitbox, holy poo poo this thread blew up:

http://www.hitbox.tv/EightBit
Hows the latency on Hitbox these days compared to Twitch?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

yup, GOTY.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
How are all of you playing online? I keep getting timeouts to the Dark Souls server.

My VAC status is "in good standing", so it's not that.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

slev posted:

There are all these bloodstains in front of this treasure chest. I don't want to open it. :stonk:

Open it you little bitch :getin:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Shab posted:

Be aware that your dapperness reduces every time you die.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Cleric is ROUGH this time around. Starting at the highest SL with 3 endurance and being forced to two hand a heavy weapon is much trickier than the other two times.

But man, the MACE this time! Holy poo poo.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
Is it me or the game is monotomous aesthetically for the first 30 minutes? Everything is just so darn bland. I feel that there are no details, just bland stone or jungle walls everywhere.

I dare say it almost looks like a cheap mod for DS 1 or something.

Tysn
Jan 15, 2008

StarkWhite posted:

The reason guard break and leap attack are hosed on m+k is because it waits for you to input double clicks before anything executes, so your timing is off. Further, there's a slight delay on attack if you use your mouse (while the piece of poo poo waits to see if you double click), which makes the game basically unplayable for me. I cant believe this passed Q&A. If anyone has any workarounds other than binding attacks to the keyboard, I'm all loving ears. What an embarrassment.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

HOLY FLYING gently caress

THIS HOLY loving SHITSTORM OF A MOUSE CLICK DETECTION SYSTEM AAAAAA

It seems completely and utterly loving random when the game decides to register my clicks as actually attacking, to the point where I have stood in front of an enemy for about 5 seconds, get mauled by them, and THEN finally, I swing.

It doesn't seem dependent upon mouses. It doesn't seem dependent upon any set variables inside of the game. It's just sometimes, you can swing as fast as you like.

Other times? YOU DO NOT SWING. EVER. PERIOD. AT ALL.

I've got kind-of a rough solution to bypass the mouse lag by taking advantage of the keyboard combat mappings (which have no input lag) and remapping the mouse to them using Autohotkey.

code:
^p::

toggle := !toggle

return

#if toggle

LButton::h
 RButton::u
 XButton1::g

#if
You can try this yourself by downloading & installing Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/) and then copy-pasting the above code into a .ahk file and running it. Basically how it works is you toggle it on and off by pressing CTRL+P on your keyboard, and when on the left & right mouse buttons will instead send 'h' and 'u', which by default are mapped to left & right attacks. Note that you'll have to ALT-TAB outside of the game to toggle it on/off, as ingame it won't recognize the command. Also I have the strong-right attack mapped to the 4th mouse button which you may or may not have.

It's a pretty ridiculous work-around since you'll have to now use the keyboard to navigate around the menus. However the combat feels drastically smoother by doing this & makes executing guard-breaks much easier. I've barely started the game so I'm not really sure if doing this will interfere with anything later, however if you can't stand the mouse input lag you could try this.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is the only way to get out of a menu and have the game save what you just did to right click on the title bar and select the icon for the controller B button? (Which I found out after much flailing around at random) Because apparently 'esc' means 'close this menu and don't save any of the controls you just spent ten minutes screwing with'. From! :argh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can i just say that i miss the simplistic yet immensely rewarding weight of the first game's backstabs, and also that i HATE that you can't turn the camera while backstabbing anymore.

That got me killed like twice already.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Am I missing something blindingly obvious, or is the only way to get out of a menu and have the game save what you just did to right click on the title bar and select the icon for the controller B button? (Which I found out after much flailing around at random) Because apparently 'esc' means 'close this menu and don't save any of the controls you just spent ten minutes screwing with'. From! :argh:
I might be misunderstanding your question, but try clicking outside the menu.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Okay, I give up. You've bested me trading crows. I just want to play the game now, I'll make a gimmick character later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Grondoth posted:

Cleric is ROUGH this time around. Starting at the highest SL with 3 endurance and being forced to two hand a heavy weapon is much trickier than the other two times.

But man, the MACE this time! Holy poo poo.

How high is your ADP?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Getting use to KB+M and its not too bad, cant seem to parry poo poo with it though

Oh and the first boss there the Last Giant? Tearing off its own arm to get at the player loving owns

Dunno how anyone would need help on that boss, but I've been dropping signs down to assist and have been getting summoned constantly.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

HenryEx posted:

Can i just say that i miss the simplistic yet immensely rewarding weight of the first game's backstabs, and also that i HATE that you can't turn the camera while backstabbing anymore.

That got me killed like twice already.

Have you tried turning off the cinematic camera? I have no idea if that would actually help.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

What was up with that reptile thing at the end? I didn't see a way to it.

You mean the cyclops? Its fairly difficult to fight. Its guarding a magic tombstone which lets you change genders. Yeah. There's another earlier on too, before you picked your class, which you missed. That one is guarding a pine resin and if you kill it, it drops a REALLY good ring.

I made sure to kill him on my first way through booyah

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Stringbean posted:

Getting use to KB+M and its not too bad, cant seem to parry poo poo with it though

Oh and the first boss there the Last Giant? Tearing off its own arm to get at the player loving owns

Dunno how anyone would need help on that boss, but I've been dropping signs down to assist and have been getting summoned constantly.

I got my rear end handed to me in PS3 when I kept giving him space before I realize you gotta get up in his grill

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Elysiume posted:

I might be misunderstanding your question, but try clicking outside the menu.

Welp.

Yeah that does it. Still not exactly intuitive though. For a game designed from the ground up for the PC, one would expect a 'save settings' button somewhere.

Also seriously not even sure if I want to play right now with this double click BS. Seriously the worst possible control scheme they could have possibly come up with. And the controls that can only be bound to pre-defined combinations of mouse and keyboard... I mean wow, this is bad. DS1 was better than this and that's saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Backspace button works. Still stupid as gently caress.

e:

BobTheJanitor posted:

Also seriously not even sure if I want to play right now with this double click BS. Seriously the worst possible control scheme they could have possibly come up with. And the controls that can only be bound to pre-defined combinations of mouse and keyboard... I mean wow, this is bad. DS1 was better than this and that's saying something.

Yeah, I really want another DSMFix. The default mouse controls are just :psypop: weird, the controls are still listed as Xbox prompts, and then the mouse barely works at all. I'm really disappointed by the port. At least it runs better than DS1 and doesn't use GFWL.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 25, 2014