Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

awesmoe posted:

Man, the menus/UI are some amateur-hour poo poo.

Its way improved over Dark Souls 1. But you should have expected as much :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Internet Kraken posted:

Stay classy internet.

I loving hope that's my message - in that exact place too. Hah of course it isn't - appropriate since there were people earlier using VPNs.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
How come on PC, when I have something targeted, backing away makes my jerk stop and turn completely around?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

flowinprose posted:

Don't worry about it, you'll be seeing more of him later. That's just a one-time optional opportunity to fight him early.

If I killed him does that mean I won't be seeing any more later on or is there going to be a second?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Linux Nazi posted:

How come on PC, when I have something targeted, backing away makes my jerk stop and turn completely around?

Are you sure you're locked on? You should be able to strafe.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"
Is anyone else having trouble summoning? I've managed to get one person, but every other sign I touch says "Connection Error" or something like that. I'm not seeing the game being blocked by my firewall, is it just sever strain or am I missing something?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Linux Nazi posted:

Getting too far away may break the targeting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

If I killed him does that mean I won't be seeing any more later on or is there going to be a second?

He shows up three times throughout the game. If you kill him during the first, IIRC he doesn't show up during the second but still does during the third. Technically he's an optional boss all 3 times.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

You can encounter him 3 times IIRC, but if you kill him in the optional arena, the boss fog wall in the Forest won't be there.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Linux Nazi posted:

Are you holding the run button? DSII lets you run in any direction without breaking lock on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hellburger99 posted:

Is anyone else having trouble summoning? I've managed to get one person, but every other sign I touch says "Connection Error" or something like that. I'm not seeing the game being blocked by my firewall, is it just sever strain or am I missing something?

Everybody is spamming summons right now. You have to fight other players to get somebody to summon them.

Its a wonky system, but that's :darksouls: that's just how its always been forever

Just keep at it till you get one, that's how it goes. Maybe try summoning people slightly further away from the obvious spots.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zaphod42 posted:

He shows up three times throughout the game. If you kill him during the first, IIRC he doesn't show up during the second but still does during the third. Technically he's an optional boss all 3 times.

Technically 5 in NG+

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Tip: the ballistae at the floaty guy do friendly fire damage, try to avoid shooting your allies in the head.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

How to fix the lightning in this game: shows off a later game area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN6GJRVghOo

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I died a few minutes after picking up the torch and now I can't light it from the bonfire anymore. :confused:

I'm still trying to struggle along with the weird controls but it's really frustrating. I've wasted 3 lifegems already just by trying to open a door or use the bonfire because I keep trying to use the button I would in Dark Souls 1. And the character control feels a little...off, for lack of a better word. I hope the rest of the game gets better, because so far this is less than impressive. :(

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I went to a clear area and a dragon dropped off a knight, died to him and after respawning he doesn't show up anymore. :(

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Apr 25, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I made it like 30 seconds

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

To the person who asked about rumble on the DS4: I definitely get rumbling every time I'm summoned.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Holy poo poo, I thought I was good at Dark Souls but this is destroying me. Of course it starts out way loving harder. Okay, here's one tutorial area with zombies. Done? Now fight these guys twice your size.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I love how your character gets grodier each time they die without becoming human.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why the hell is aspect ratio still locked at 16:9? Those black bars are getting really annoying.
DS2 was supposed to be a good PC port and Durante wrote in his pre-release "review" that PC version supports any resolution "supported by the system". What a bunch of bullshit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

I died a few minutes after picking up the torch and now I can't light it from the bonfire anymore. :confused:

I'm still trying to struggle along with the weird controls but it's really frustrating. I've wasted 3 lifegems already just by trying to open a door or use the bonfire because I keep trying to use the button I would in Dark Souls 1. And the character control feels a little...off, for lack of a better word. I hope the rest of the game gets better, because so far this is less than impressive. :(

You might be out of torch time. Each torch you pick up adds time, as you run around with a torch you burn time.

Also make sure you press Y to toggle through the things you can do at a bonfire. You don't light torches using the bonfire menu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I went to an clear area and a dragon dropped off a knight, died to him and after respawn he doesn't show up anymore. :(

He'll show up later keep going!

Internet Kraken posted:

Holy poo poo, I thought I was good at Dark Souls but this is destroying me. Of course it starts out way loving harder. Okay, here's one tutorial area with zombies. Done? Now fight these guys twice your size.

You've wandered into this game's new londo ruins. Try going somewhere else dude.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean the cyclops? Its fairly difficult to fight. Its guarding a magic tombstone which lets you change genders. Yeah. There's another earlier on too, before you picked your class, which you missed. That one is guarding a pine resin and if you kill it, it drops a REALLY good ring.

I made sure to kill him on my first way through booyah

If you have trouble and use magic, they can't fit through the doorways in the tutorial area or the stone gate thing that leads up to the other one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP

FuzzySlippers posted:

To the person who asked about rumble on the DS4: I definitely get rumbling every time I'm summoned.

I assume you are using the 3rd party DS4 thing right?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Ahaha I wonder if that was me. Where you a Cleric? I saw whoever it was finish him off as I died. I had to fight him again.

Nah I was a sorcerer, shootin mad soul arrows.

Got him beat now though. 90% of summon signs fail for me but at least there's a lot of them. On PS3 there would be maybe 3 around the boss gate, and once they failed you would be waiting for ages for replacements.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I love that when you're trying to quit you have to go back to the first screen, hit start game, wait for it to connect to the online server, and then and only then can you actually quit the game. That's the most consoley thing ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

If you have trouble and use magic, they can't fit through the doorways in the tutorial area or the stone gate thing that leads up to the other one.

He's also weak to lightning, hence the gold pine resin you find nearby. Heide knight sword works wonders too if you come back later.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also dont forget to

Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP
Raise ADP

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

I love that when you're trying to quit you have to go back to the first screen, hit start game, wait for it to connect to the online server, and then and only then can you actually quit the game. That's the most consoley thing ever.

Yeah lots of console PC ports do this, Dark Souls 1 did this, but it does loving SUUUUUCK. :(

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

HellCopter posted:

Are you holding the run button? DSII lets you run in any direction without breaking lock on.

Nope, not running. Not backing away far at all, they won't even be out of weapon range and it turns my jerk around. I'm not braking lock either.

I just got done playing a ton on PS3 and it's completely off from that.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Genocyber posted:

liked+subscribed

How can anybody make a video with a shtick like that without giving into their own self-respect?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

RBA Starblade posted:

Well, you won't be seeing him for a while if you defeated him there, but you can eventually run into him again.

If you didn't defeat him, you'll probably be seeing him sooner.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Jack Trades posted:

Why the hell is aspect ratio still locked at 16:9? Those black bars are getting really annoying.
DS2 was supposed to be a good PC port and Durante wrote in his pre-release "review" that PC version supports any resolution "supported by the system". What a bunch of bullshit.

The general gist I'm getting from most forums at the moment is anyone with any criticisms for Dark Souls II is a lying nerd. You lying nerd.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, it won't do 5760x1080 either. :mad: Lies!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Does anyone else seem to have all the pre-order items appear after character creation, despite not having pre-ordered?

(I did pre-order but cancelled it.)

menieres_4_life
Oct 27, 2007

You don't need equilibrioception to balance the books - in space!
This may have been answered earlier, but can I summon a bro who is on an Xbox?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

Nope, not running. Not backing away far at all, they won't even be out of weapon range and it turns my jerk around. I'm not braking lock either.

I just got done playing a ton on PS3 and it's completely off from that.

Welp after dying its fine again.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Not that it's the wrong way, but you've gone into an area that's a little more advanced. Try looking around Majula thoroughly, there are other areas you should probably go first unless you want to keep trying your luck there.

(I would be more specific but I'm not sure if that would be too spoilery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Whats up with these tiny rear end summon signs I'm seeing :|