Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I beat all the sword guys.

I'm not gonna be able to beat that boss.

My souls :negative:

EDIT: Okay I'm actually gonna try looking for that path but I swear I didn't see anything. I must be crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hahaha, there are going to be a lot of bans very quick if it turns out this game is using VAC. There's already been about 100 downloads of the current anemic public table.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Those "sword guys" are chumps after you've leveled up/upgraded weapons a bit. But it's nothing to take on first thing if you don't know what you're doing.

e: boss is also a chump. You can do it if you try!

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Ha finished at least NG++++++ in Dark Souls, just installed and died to the second enemy. This is everything I hoped for and more :allears:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Ignimbrite posted:

I think something's up with my DS3, I get random button presses - pressing evade sometimes will make me drink an estus and get me murdered, so will attacking. sometimes.

When DS3s get old that happens - I had to replace mine last month because the problem got really bad. If you twist one half of the controller down and the other half up gently and it starts to execute a bunch of random button presses, then you might want to replace it. I think the DS3 just gets kind of loose over time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HellCopter posted:

Those "sword guys" are chumps after you've leveled up/upgraded weapons a bit. But it's nothing to take on first thing if you don't know what you're doing.

e: boss is also a chump. You can do it if you try!

Well the sword guys weren't hard once I figured out how to fight them, they just take FOREVER to kill with my dagger. Also they kept kicking me off ledges to instant death.

The boss just destroyed me though. I didn't even get a chance to see how he worked since he took off all my stamina with one hit, then killed me with the next.

EDIT: HOLY gently caress HOW DID I MISS THIS PATH :suicide:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I beat all the sword guys.

I'm not gonna be able to beat that boss.

My souls :negative:

EDIT: Okay I'm actually gonna try looking for that path but I swear I didn't see anything. I must be crazy.

This is the door you're looking for. Right on coastline, kind of tucked away so it's easy to miss. Basically if you're facing the ocean, turn right.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Can't believe I bought a complete console port that didn't bother to change on screen icons from xbox to keys.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

:stonk:

uhh dont do that man

attack once. no more no less

NEVER R2

honestly if you are curious look up the wiki to see what was in it and if you can live without it

I looked them up and they were both titanite shards, nothing that'll ruin me thankfully.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Mondlicht posted:

Does it have a mode button? I had to hit mine a few times for it to have movement on the left analog, for example.

THANK YOU. I had no idea that little button was back there. Flipped it, controller seemed to go dead, but unplugging it and replugging it after that made the controls go normal again. Now I can actually play this game normally. :love:

Edit: Well, the 4 regular buttons are still somewhat hosed up and still can't be changed, but at least attacking is normal.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 25, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man I've got the lovely fog door and no item graphics bug. The only reference to it suggests a reinstall. Uuuuuugh. :negative:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Control Volume posted:

I looked them up and they were both titanite shards, nothing that'll ruin me thankfully.

There's really no reason to destroy a chest (unless it turns out to be a mimic of course :v: ). If it's trapped usually there will be a about million messages around it that say "trap" and you can just be ready to roll away after opening or come back later when you have more health.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

No ragrats

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Internet Kraken posted:

Well the sword guys weren't hard once I figured out how to fight them, they just take FOREVER to kill with my dagger. Also they kept kicking me off ledges to instant death.

The boss just destroyed me though. I didn't even get a chance to see how he worked since he took off all my stamina with one hit, then killed me with the next.

I guess what they intended players to do on entering Majula was go to the monument and talk to Saulden, since he points you directly to Forest (and you can see the path really nicely from his position). This game is not great about unambiguous direction-giving! No surprise there.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

I did the same thing, except I just ran around in circles for a while instead of finding my way to the big guys. :v:

Dec 30, 2008
Well I picked a Cleric because that's what I'd played in Demon's and Dark Souls. Turns out you don't start with enough stats to use your starting weapon :thumbsup:. I finally get the point of strength I needed to use the only effective weapon I have and the fucker breaks before I have time to read the message telling me my weapon is about to break. So at this point do I have any options beyond restarting and picking a class that isn't gimped, or fighting my way through the forest with a broken thief's sword/my fists?

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Why the gently caress couldn't they be assed to display actual keyboard controls rather than game-pad ones...I'm trying to figure out how to do a dashing jump.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Knowing where to put messages after playing some on the PS3 version has been really helpful. I think I'm getting the message rated notification every 20 seconds or so and it's really helping me out of some of the dumb situations I've managed to get myself into

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Haeleus posted:

Why the gently caress couldn't they be assed to display actual keyboard controls rather than game-pad ones...I'm trying to figure out how to do a dashing jump.

Hold run (spacebar by default) and hit jump (f by default).

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Guest posted:

Well I picked a Cleric because that's what I'd played in Demon's and Dark Souls. Turns out you don't start with enough stats to use your starting weapon :thumbsup:. I finally get the point of strength I needed to use the only effective weapon I have and the fucker breaks before I have time to read the message telling me my weapon is about to break. So at this point do I have any options beyond restarting and picking a class that isn't gimped, or fighting my way through the forest with a broken thief's sword/my fists?

Two-hand the mace. Maces rock. Bust some heads.

Eventually, items appear that will make weapon degradation less of an issue.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Guest posted:

Insufficient stats in DaS2 isn't as crippling as it was in DaS, your weapon will do reduced damage but it's not going to turn into a nerfbat like it used to. Especially if you two-hand the mace it will do fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm loving this game but they were full of poo poo on the graphics on pc. This is barely better than ds1, flat out worse in places. I'm fine with that but still.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Guest posted:

There's a priest's chime you can find in Majula that will let you cast miracles (and hexes). I'm not sure if you can cast any offensive ones yet, but they will eventually wreck enemies at later levels so it would be worth sticking with the class I think. Maces are also great.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So is this game VAC protected or will there be hackers all over the place in a few weeks/months like in DS1?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Guest posted:

You should, just two hand it. Cleric isn't gimped at all.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Machai posted:

So is this game VAC protected or will there be hackers all over the place in a few weeks/months like in DS1?

It isn't VAC protected but it still doesn't let VAC banned people play.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

There's a priest's chime you can find in Majula that will let you cast miracles (and hexes). I'm not sure if you can cast any offensive ones yet, but they will eventually wreck enemies at later levels so it would be worth sticking with the class I think. Maces are also great.

Cleric starts with the same chime anyway, you don't need to get the Majula one unless you had a different starting class.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

skasion posted:

Cleric starts with the same chime anyway, you don't need to get the Majula one unless you had a different starting class.

Oh, didn't realize that. You can also punch people with the chime for some decent damage, if your mace breaks and you're desperate/have no back-up.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone know where Dark Souls II keeps it's savegames? I want to back them up on Dropbox. Thanks for the Help!

Dec 30, 2008

HellCopter posted:

Two-hand the mace. Maces rock. Bust some heads.

Eventually, items appear that will make weapon degradation less of an issue.

Nah, even two-handed the broken mace is hitting for about 20 damage on hollows. The one-handed broken thief sword is hitting for about 40.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Guest posted:

Nah, even two-handed the broken mace is hitting for about 20 damage on hollows. The one-handed broken thief sword is hitting for about 40.

Broken weapons are no good, get that mace repaired.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Guest posted:

Get a spare Morning Star from Majula.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

skasion posted:

If it's early enough in the game, he may not have the blacksmith unlocked yet though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

the increased chat messages are perfect

Dec 30, 2008

skasion posted:

How?

Edit:

Kimmalah posted:

If it's early enough in the game, he may not have the blacksmith unlocked yet though.

Yeah, I think this is my problem.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

You need a key from the merchant Melentia in the Forest, but first go and get the Morning Star in Majula, it's on a cliff face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I got bored of nobody invading me so I decided to use that cracked eye orb I looted off a pig rat...thing.

Any of you happen to be Doran? :v:

Invaded the guy, spent 5 minutes working my way to the bonfire where he's hiding. He refuses to come out so I just run up and murder him. Its just like Dark Souls :allears:

What does this spite token do?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^It lets you join a covenant later on and having them in your inventory makes you slightly more likely to get invaded.

Buy the blacksmith's key from the merchant in Forest and unlock the smithy in Majula. If the 1000 souls for the key sounds like too much then you can always restart.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I got bored of nobody invading me so I decided to use that cracked eye orb I looted off a pig rat...thing.

Any of you happen to be Doran? :v:

Invaded the guy, spent 5 minutes working my way to the bonfire where he's hiding. He refuses to come out so I just run up and murder him. Its just like Dark Souls :allears:

What does this spite token do?

It's for dueling other Black Phantoms - you'll find the covenant later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is there any point to the small white soapstone once I have the regular one?