Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
OK, two stories;
the first was likely from one of the Judith Merill anthologies and I must have read it about 1968.
If you read it, you will remember it.

In this story, a mother is giving the Talk to her young daughter about the birds and the bees, and at some point she mentions "If your stinger starts to feel funny, you come tell me right away!"

Zinger one: different birds, different bees.

She also admonishes her daughter to never, ever, look in that big locked wooden cabinet in the hall.

Well and sure she does and finds zinger 2:
"She saw the father-thing, bound, gagged, emaciated and miserable, his eyes pleading, his abdomen heaving and writhing with the hungry larvae of her new siblings."

She becomes traumatized by the nature of (her specie's) sex. A cool metaphor for... something.
This story made the hair on my neck stand up and gave me nightmares. I was 12 or so. It was sooo delicious.

#2:
Possibly a Stephen Baxter story, concerning a very large synthetic world with a new civilization on it. On this world are obelisks stretching hundreds or thousands of kilometers into the sky, engraved near their bases with basic science, the carvings advancing in sophistication the farther up they go.
The civilization used first blimps, then aircraft, then spacecraft to access ever higher tiers of knowledge recorded on these spires.
They can't orbit because of the size of this world.
I basically read the entire Sci-Fi section in the Santa Monica Library, so I got the knowing of a lotta stories 1951-1970.
I recognized a number of the stories in this thread, so I could be a good source.

Like Poppa Needs Shorts. Hysterically funny story.
Thank you all so much.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Scott Lame posted:

A sci-fi novel I read about 20 years ago; a group of genetically enhanced children, each a genius of one sort or another, but limited in other respects. One is able to manipulate people's emotions, another is a brilliant artist. The final reveal involves the artist's work in some way. I think the protagonist turns out to be another of the children, to his surprise. That's all I remember.

Man that sounds familiar. The narrator's power turned out to be finding those other people, yeah?

No idea what book / author. Maaaaaybe Dean Koontz?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If it's Koontz then the book is probably Strangers.

Weird one, had a UFO in it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

If it's Koontz then the book is probably Strangers.

Weird one, had a UFO in it.

It's not Strangers. Never read that book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did they have tattoos on their feet?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Scott Lame posted:

A sci-fi novel I read about 20 years ago; a group of genetically enhanced children, each a genius of one sort or another, but limited in other respects. One is able to manipulate people's emotions, another is a brilliant artist. The final reveal involves the artist's work in some way. I think the protagonist turns out to be another of the children, to his surprise. That's all I remember.

Could this be Baby Is Three by Theodore Sturgeon?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I remember reading a story when I was a kid. Fairly typical "teenage boy learns karate" story until he finds out he's a snake alien thing. Any ideas? I think the climax had him running away from some guy, biting him to get away and it turns out he's poisonous or something.

Scott Lame
Jan 8, 2014

shadok posted:

Could this be Baby Is Three by Theodore Sturgeon?

No, but thanks. I checked out Dean Koontz bibliography as well, and it doesn't look like a match either. I remember that at the time I read it "alternate forms of intelligence" was a hot pop science topic, and the novel seemed to be inspired by that. Each of the kids represented a different "intelligence". So I'm thinking it was written in the mid 80's or later.

I don't recall any alien or supernatural aspect to the story. It was definitely a full-length novel.

One small additional detail; all of the kids were asexual. Not physically, but emotionally.

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
Several years ago I read a science fiction short story about a worker on a planet with an environment so harmful to life that his body had to be scanned, torn apart and reconstituted between shifts. This was horrifying because the destruction of his body took place while he was fully conscious, but because his physical state was scanned and digitally recorded just moments prior to the event, he never remembered it or knew to expect it at the end of the day.

My googling has been inadequate, so I'd be glad if anyone could identify the story for me.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Zazamoot posted:

...his body had to be scanned, torn apart and reconstituted between shifts. This was horrifying because the destruction of his body took place while he was fully conscious, but because his physical state was scanned and digitally recorded just moments prior to the event, he never remembered it or knew to expect it at the end of the day.

Not an exact match, but something very similar to this happens in the Orson Scott Card novel Hot Sleep. Only it relates to the suspended animation the protagonist goes under, with his memories recorded just before hibernation. Because the process is painful but happens after the recording, he always thinks something has gone wrong.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
I've been trying to remember the title of a couple books I read years ago. One featured zepplins and primitive humanoids while the other was Martian adventure style story. Both were part of a series that involved aliens seeding planets with humanoid species and connecting the via gates. Any clues? And wow, I just realised how bad that series was ripping off star gate.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Chance II posted:

I've been trying to remember the title of a couple books I read years ago. One featured zepplins and primitive humanoids while the other was Martian adventure style story. Both were part of a series that involved aliens seeding planets with humanoid species and connecting the via gates. Any clues? And wow, I just realised how bad that series was ripping off star gate.

That might be S.M. Stirling's Lords of Creation series. The first book was The Sky People, set on Venus and including primitive cave people. The second was In The Courts of the Crimson Kings, set on Mars with a humanoid race interacting with visiting Earthmen. Both had a very '50s sci-fi feel to them.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Thanks! That's it exactly. Courts of the crimson kings kept throwing me on a Steven King loop.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
I'm reviving a few from my past posts that no one ever figured out.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Short Stories:
I think this is set in an office building. Some guy is shooting up the place, just slaughtering folks. Eventually, he corners some woman (or man), and they have a creepy conversation, with the man saying that he was murdering people for being liars, he hates liars, but he also hates when people say things that make him angry or some poo poo like that. Anyway, the story ends with the guy offering to let his hostage go if she just answers one question honestly, and also without pissing him off. The question is: "Do you think I'm crazy?"

A story about a guy with pyrokinetic powers (I think), who tries to blackmail the military (I think) into paying him off for not setting random citizens and cities aflame. The other characters probe the bad guy for what other powers he might have, such as seeing the future, but the guy has no other powers. So, a dude hides behind a door and caves the bad guy's head in with a hammer - because the bad guy couldn't see the future.

The third story is actually a series of stories that showed up in a new (I think) science fiction magazine about twenty years ago. I don't think the magazine lasted very long, but just about every (maybe every) issue had a story featuring these two ne'er-do-well space-trading schlubs. They always had big plans for getting rich, and they always failed in comically tragic (as in, Shakespearean tragedy - undone by their own faults) ways. It was as if they were Harcourt Fenton Mudd and his twin brother.

Novels:
The story (a shortish novel?) was about a high school (I think) track and field athlete who wanted to pole vault, but kept being held back by his (her?) own fears. At the top of the vault, he would always freak out and end up clinging to the pole instead of pushing it away. I don't remember if he always had this problem, or if it started after an accident (I seem to remember an injured ankle in there, somewhere), but the main conflict in the story was about this kid overcoming his fear and finally pushing away the pole to make a successful vault.

Here's another one I've been trying to find for a long time. It's a book about a kid with a high IQ, I think the number might be 154. Mostly, I think it's just a book about him dealing with being so unusual, intelligence-wise. There is a scene in the book where the kid (sneaks?) into his father's workplace to tell his father this great scheme the kid has come up with for preventing war: make all the countries buy insurance from each other. The father was probably an insurance salesman, or actuary, or some such. I remember the kid gets a beating from his dad for this little stunt. I think my parents brought this home for me when I was in the general age bracket of the kid in the story, so, maybe twenty-five years ago, give or take.

I've tried combinations of "154," "genius kid," "insurance," "kid with high IQ comes up with plan to end wars," and so on, with no luck. The 154 number may or may not be correct, but it's the number I always think of when I think of the book. The number may be the title of the book, but, if it is, 154 is unlikely to be correct, because it doesn't come up under that title.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

I'm reviving a few from my past posts that no one ever figured out.

I may have found your ne'er-do-well space-trading schlubs.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

First one:
Book about a guy who was a war photographer in a distant future or something. He had cybernetics that did the photographing, I think? If I recall, they were called angels or something (the war photographers). He meets a woman in like, some sort of weird village with boats.

Second one:
There's this huge war and this guy who's friend with another guy. The war involves imaginary people -- like, if they can be thought up, they're brought into existence or something. Guy eventually finds out he's one of the fake people brought into existence. He also keeps talking about how he still hasn't been shot, so he's not a real soldier because he hasn't been shot.

I especially want to know that first one; I found it in a second hand shop six years ago and lost it soon after reading it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the photographer one might be Embedded by Dan Arnett.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I think the photographer one might be Embedded by Dan Arnett.

Published too recently :( I bought it in 2008, and it had been published enough years before to find it in that store.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Gnossiennes posted:

First one:
Book about a guy who was a war photographer in a distant future or something. He had cybernetics that did the photographing, I think? If I recall, they were called angels or something (the war photographers). He meets a woman in like, some sort of weird village with boats.

A long shot, but possibly Distress by Greg Egan. Fits a little bit, anyway - a journalist with cybernetic recording implants, and a war on an artificial floating island.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

I... I'm not sure. Those stories were published like 40 years before the magazine I am thinking of, and I am not sure if I recognize any of the plots, but stylistically they sound exactly like the stories I am looking for. If those are not the right stories, I'd be shocked if they weren't the inspiration. Thanks for digging those up.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Bites Yer Legs posted:

I think you're looking for "A Dry, Quiet War" by Tony Daniel, available here:

http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/quietwar.htm

This was it! Thank you very much!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

I... I'm not sure. Those stories were published like 40 years before the magazine I am thinking of, and I am not sure if I recognize any of the plots, but stylistically they sound exactly like the stories I am looking for. If those are not the right stories, I'd be shocked if they weren't the inspiration. Thanks for digging those up.

Did you see the list of active and defunct science fiction magazines on Wikipedia? I saw that those weren't the right dates, but it also occurred to me if the "new" magazine you were thinking of was one that had been revived like Weird Tales, the stories may have been reprints. Perhaps the list will jog your memory and you can then look up the magazine's catalogue to further lock it down.

Google really wasn't very helpful, was it? I could think of quite a few "space trader rogues" stories, but apparently it's not common enough to be a widely commented upon meme.

Oldmangray
Sep 9, 2008
so nevermind i figured out the book i was after.
James clemmens banned and the banish series

Oldmangray fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 22, 2014

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I asked this years ago, still wondering what it is:

Hedrigall posted:

A children's scifi novel I saw often in my primary school library, but for some reason never read, even though it looked awesome. It was called "Virtual ____" (I can't remember the second word, I don't think it was "reality"), and had a big neon dinosaur on the front. It also had a sequel or two. Other than that I don't know anything about it, not even what it was about.

Edit: It might have been called "______ Virtuality".

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Hedrigall posted:

I asked this years ago, still wondering what it is:

This perhaps?

This might also be worth looking through

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Hobnob posted:

A long shot, but possibly Distress by Greg Egan. Fits a little bit, anyway - a journalist with cybernetic recording implants, and a war on an artificial floating island.

Aww, still nope! I wish I could remember more about it.

I remember a women with crystals or something on a boat in it, too. And the guy had been a war photographer in the past, had had the cybernetics or whatever removed, and then put back in, I think?

BlueFlowerRedSky
Jun 2, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

Aww, still nope! I wish I could remember more about it.

I remember a women with crystals or something on a boat in it, too. And the guy had been a war photographer in the past, had had the cybernetics or whatever removed, and then put back in, I think?

Could it maybe be Limit of Vision by Linda Nagata?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Nah neither one :(

The neon dinosaur was like, literally a dinosaur neon sign thing coming to life, IIRC

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Zola posted:

Did you see the list of active and defunct science fiction magazines on Wikipedia? I saw that those weren't the right dates, but it also occurred to me if the "new" magazine you were thinking of was one that had been revived like Weird Tales, the stories may have been reprints. Perhaps the list will jog your memory and you can then look up the magazine's catalogue to further lock it down.

Google really wasn't very helpful, was it? I could think of quite a few "space trader rogues" stories, but apparently it's not common enough to be a widely commented upon meme.

I was not aware of that list, thank you for pointing it out. Two of the defunct magazines are from the right period, but one has no Wikipedia entry, and the other is very sparse. I might take another run at Google, but as you noted, that's not an easy row to hoe.

It's possible that you were right the first time around. The main doubt I have about that is that I grew up on 40s and 50s science fiction, and I can usually recognize it right away. I don't remember these stories giving any indication of being from that period. Of course, it's been about twenty years since I read them, so I could be wrong. I'll have to track down and read those old ones to see if anything shakes loose in my brain.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

I was not aware of that list, thank you for pointing it out. Two of the defunct magazines are from the right period, but one has no Wikipedia entry, and the other is very sparse. I might take another run at Google, but as you noted, that's not an easy row to hoe.

It's possible that you were right the first time around. The main doubt I have about that is that I grew up on 40s and 50s science fiction, and I can usually recognize it right away. I don't remember these stories giving any indication of being from that period. Of course, it's been about twenty years since I read them, so I could be wrong. I'll have to track down and read those old ones to see if anything shakes loose in my brain.

Which were the two magazines? I might be able to find their issue lists.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

This one might be hard but I have been trying to think of the title of this book for years.

The book is meant for YA readers and I only remember two tidbits about it. The first being the main character was very clumsy and hi-jinks ensued. Second he convinced his teacher that the Great Depression was caused by sea turtles!

Fake edit: It was part of a series about this kid and at the time I thought the books were the most hilarious things ever.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Hedrigall posted:

The neon dinosaur was like, literally a dinosaur neon sign thing coming to life, IIRC

I read this one as a kid too: The Virtual Reality Trilogy, by Claire Carmichael.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Zola posted:

Which were the two magazines? I might be able to find their issue lists.

These two started publishing at around the right time. I am not sure I would recognize any of the stories by title, though. I suppose if any matched the names of the ones from the 50s, that would be a strong clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realms_of_Fantasy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Magnitude_(magazine)

There's a third one called Science Fiction Age, but the link just goes to the Wikipedia page of the guy who edited it.

Sneaky Fast posted:

The book is meant for YA readers and I only remember two tidbits about it. The first being the main character was very clumsy and hi-jinks ensued. Second he convinced his teacher that the Great Depression was caused by sea turtles!

Do you remember anything about The Great Ecuadorian Tortoise Blight of 1928? A quick Google turned up that likely suspect.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

These two started publishing at around the right time. I am not sure I would recognize any of the stories by title, though. I suppose if any matched the names of the ones from the 50s, that would be a strong clue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realms_of_Fantasy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Magnitude_(magazine)

There's a third one called Science Fiction Age, but the link just goes to the Wikipedia page of the guy who edited it.

Do you remember anything about The Great Ecuadorian Tortoise Blight of 1928? A quick Google turned up that likely suspect.

Okay, here's the issue list for Realms of Fantasy. They have shots of the covers too, so something might jog your memory.
Here's Absolute Magnitude.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I read a science fiction story a few years ago, it was set in a future where mankind had spread out to thousands of planets across the galaxy, and were ruled by godlike artificial intelligences. The AIs had spread some kind of nanomachines throughout all of these worlds which would record everyone's experiences and when the person died, they would be uploaded to the networks of the AIs. On one of these worlds, which was at a roughly early 20th century technology level, a mysterious being had conquered much of the world and was slaughtering tens of millions of humans in a systematic way. The main character was an agent of the AIs sent to stop this. He finds that the person responsible is from a more advanced world and is doing it to attack the AIs, destroying a person's optic nerves immediately before killing them causes some kind of harm to the AIs if it's done in large numbers. The main character discovers that the AIs are not collecting the minds of the dead to give them eternal life as is commonly believed, but are instead consuming their memories in a torturous fashion to keep themselves from going insane from sensory deprivation (they think so fast the only way they can keep from spending thousands of years of experiential time with no input is to have billions of minds to "eat").

I think I read it for free on the internet. Anyone recognize it?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Isolationist posted:

I read this one as a kid too: The Virtual Reality Trilogy, by Claire Carmichael.

Yeeesssssss!!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Zola posted:

Okay, here's the issue list for Realms of Fantasy. They have shots of the covers too, so something might jog your memory.
Here's Absolute Magnitude.

Huh, I didn't know ISFDB had cover images. I was able to rule out Realms of Fantasy with nearly 100% certainty. None of the Absolute Magnitude covers were definite matches, but I noticed that they did reprint some stuff from the 50s, such as Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination," which means those stories you mentioned earlier are a possibility. I am going to go through the tables of contents and see if I can locate any matches.

I see you're still pretty good at this. I can find almost anything on the internet, but for some reason I seem to run into a lot of dead ends when I am looking for old forgotten books and stories.

Edit: Nope, no matches. I also checked all the publications that ran the Sheckley stories, and none of them are from the right time period. Oh, well. Maybe someone else will come along and know which magazine or which stories I am looking for. I guess I'll just post them again in another year or so if I'm still around.

Edit the Second: Of course, it's still possible that Absolute Magnitude is the right publication, but ISFDB either doesn't have plot summaries, or I don't know how to find them. That's the main reason I usually don't bother going there to research this sort of thing.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Apr 25, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I think I read it for free on the internet. Anyone recognize it?

I read that, but I don't remember what it was called or who it was by. I want to say Stross, but I'm pretty sure it's not actually by Stross and I'm just having a hash collision with his Eschaton setting.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

Hedrigall posted:

Yeeesssssss!!

I really dug those books, too. Come to think of it, they're probably to blame for my interest in VR. Why did you make me buy an Oculus Rift, book?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

BlueFlowerRedSky posted:

Could it maybe be Limit of Vision by Linda Nagata?

Afraid not! I wish I could remember more about it :(