Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's just the move name. His stand is literally D4C now.

Oh, good. So I can laugh at this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Nothing will be as funny as ZIPPERMAN. Nothing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like L'il Bomber(is not a bomber).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh, good. So I can laugh at this.

You should've laughed anyways because it's hilarious.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Nothing will be as funny as ZIPPERMAN. Nothing.

I dunno man, Green Tea is seriously up there.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

"Arts and Crafts Time"

It's like they have these ridiculous names that you can't help but love, and at the same time we have stupid poo poo like Eiffel and Zipper Man.

Yeah, I don't get why a lot of them are dumb little nods, but those are just really uninspired changes. This localization is odd.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It seems incredibly rushed. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if they knocked all these out on a lunch break.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, probably way they see it is it's just some anime game barely anyone is going to buy, so why bother?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Apparently the game also uses some of the the Viz name changes which are also musical references, I really have no idea what this localization is at all. They even changed some of the names that Viz did not and this entire localization is a giant amazing clusterfuck of wonder. I have no idea why Bandai Namco even loving localized this game at this point, it really seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really mind the name changes at all, since it's not like I don't know what they're called already. I find it more funny than annoying.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm betting it was a matter of Legal running into the office and telling them to change all the names because reasons, which was followed by most of the localizing team getting shitfaced and doing word associations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Momomo posted:

I don't really mind the name changes at all, since it's not like I don't know what they're called already. I find it more funny than annoying.

I'm just trying to figure out the logic is all. I don't really care about the changes at the end of the day, but some of these I'm trying to think about and figure why they would do certain ones that are also falling under the criteria they have for changing names.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I still find it funny that these changes may or may not be carrying over to the Crunchyroll 'official' fansubs, so we're possibly going to see other "don't sue us!" translation names.

E: also, re: the thing in the manga thread, if literally anyone has the ending to Stardust Crusaders "ruined" by an ancient internet meme, either the anime must have become pretty lame by then or said person was pretty lame

There are a few Castlevania enemies / bosses that are elaborate JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference. The biggest one is Zephyr in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, who is literally The World: stopping time, throwing knives, Dio postin, and even Dio quotin.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Zorak posted:

I still find it funny that these changes may or may not be carrying over to the Crunchyroll 'official' fansubs, so we're possibly going to see other "don't sue us!" translation names.

Honestly this is where it'll stop being funny and I'll just get kind of pissed. Please don't take Polnareff away anime. :(

About the changed names though, I'm just kind of mindblown about a couple. Like did Vanilla Ice have a change of heart all of a sudden or did they just not bother? How did Soft & Wet make it through unscathed and things like Polnareff get canned.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Zorak posted:

E: also, re: the thing in the manga thread, if literally anyone has the ending to Stardust Crusaders "ruined" by an ancient internet meme, either the anime must have become pretty lame by then or said person was pretty lame

There are a few Castlevania enemies / bosses that are elaborate JoJo's Bizarre Adventure reference. The biggest one is Zephyr in Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, who is literally The World: stopping time, throwing knives, Dio postin, and even Dio quotin.

Yeah, Jojo's not really something that gets ruined by being spoiled. It's all about the moment itself, not so much the buildup. Seeing Dio do all those things in context was still a lot of fun, even if I had already heard about them before.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I didnt have any idea what the meme was from until the thing happened when I read it

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010

Zorak posted:

I too learned Dio's power from the meme years ago. Its what got me curious about the series in the first place. The meme however, never told me anything about between the beginning of the series up to how Dio's stand is beaten, which is all pretty drat cool.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Basically, if something can be 'ruined' for you by a spoiler, it probably wasn't good enough to hold up in the first place. Jojo, thankfully, is crazy enough to be nearly immune to that problem.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

He says, while preparing to eat a tiny Speedwagon...

Okay, this one's pretty good...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a pretty good translation of that line, actually. I'm happy to see some of the more iconic lines for characters, while not exact are still well covered.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

And so the localized version of ASB easily claims the title of GotY 2013, 2014 and probably 2015 and on.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Aniki! :D

drat, Gyro...

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

I'm warming up to this localization slightly. :allears:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh my god, they literally kept that Engrish breads line. That almost makes up for the abominations that are "Eiffel" and "Zipper Man".

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So is it safe to say that aside from the names the localization is good?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It seems that way, the localizers seem to be having quite a bit of fun. My only problem is the logic behind some of the name changes, otherwise it looks fine.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly except for maybe Eiffel, I'm more than okay with all the name changes. I still call them by the original names, but they're all so dumb and ridiculous that it totally fits the tone of the series anyways.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm still sad they didn't just change D4C's name to Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price.

Every stand name should have just been Duwanged to hell.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I hope they changed Star Platinum and The World just in case.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

I hope they changed Star Platinum and The World just in case.

Punch Man and Time Stop Man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ytYl6X0XM

Equally Important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMxYJV8Pr54

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 25, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Josuke insulting his own hair is the best.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Josuke insulting his own hair is the best.

Even better is Johhny sincerely complementing it, and Josuke still gets mad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny is being sarcastic, as he is wont to do. You can hear it in his deadpan voice.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: F;B

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Perigryn posted:

drat, Gyro...

Was Whack-a-Mole even a thing back then?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MelvinBison posted:

Nyo-ho~!

JDRockefeller
Apr 26, 2010
Noticed that in Esidesi's line was "off" was misspelled.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

My feet are soaked, but my Stand is bone dry!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

MelvinBison posted:

They whacked actual moles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:

Ryaomon posted:

My feet are soaked, but my Stand is bone dry!

Remember DIO? He's back! In raptor form. Maybe next time...

• Locked thread