Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Sinnlos posted:

If there is more than one crack and it is over an inch long, a Sprint repair center will not touch it. Even if it falls within these guidelines, expect the tech to want nothing to do with it. The fee for exchanging the unit without insurance is $75, but the potential chargeback for the tech is significantly higher.

There are two cracks. One is about 1/8th inch and the other is 1/4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Stick100 posted:

Wow, associate's aiming people at partly filled framily plans should be a pretty serious employment offense otherwise horrid things are going to happen.

Especially doing this, as you did the leg work sent him in with a code then he got co-oped for the associates benefit. This is incredibly bad for Sprint.

Anyone here work for sprint when they were running the referral credit (I think it was $25 and $25). Every sprint sales person had a list of friends that they would just plug the numbers into to get the customer $25 and someone else $25.

There has always been a ton of abuse with sprint promos for whatever reason. When they had the "$125 credit if you port your number" I would just go down the hall, buy a $10 TMobile prepaid card and port that over to close my sales. When they had "reserve in store via online and you get online pricing" I would just take the customers info, tell them to come back in one hour, go to the library (across the street) and reserve it. And of course everyone knows about getting discounts you didn't quite qualify for.

I will say being non corporate probably helped in being able to get away with it. I don't do any of that any more at my current job.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Sprint has gotten 100% better where I live, which is really surprising. I doubt Sprint has even 10% of the tiny market here in Maine.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Anyone here work for sprint when they were running the referral credit (I think it was $25 and $25). Every sprint sales person had a list of friends that they would just plug the numbers into to get the customer $25 and someone else $25.

There has always been a ton of abuse with sprint promos for whatever reason. When they had the "$125 credit if you port your number" I would just go down the hall, buy a $10 TMobile prepaid card and port that over to close my sales. When they had "reserve in store via online and you get online pricing" I would just take the customers info, tell them to come back in one hour, go to the library (across the street) and reserve it. And of course everyone knows about getting discounts you didn't quite qualify for.

I will say being non corporate probably helped in being able to get away with it. I don't do any of that any more at my current job.

I used to work in the same (corporate) store as the #1 salesman in the whole company and good lord he had a million tricks up his sleeve. I don't even know how he went to sleep at night.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
Sounds like I need to make friends with a Sprint retail employee if I want to get more people on my Framily plan.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I'm moving to the D.C.area in June and some of these posts have me worried. How's the service in D.C., particularly around Arlington?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'm moving to the D.C.area in June and some of these posts have me worried. How's the service in D.C., particularly around Arlington?
Judging from the S4GRU tower upgrade map, voice service should be fine due to most of the towers having 1x800 deployed. But maybe 1/4 of towers don't have fiber rolled out to them yet, so no LTE (or weak LTE signal from a further tower). Same goes for the rest of D.C. except for the National Mall, which is severely lacking in upgrades probably due to security restrictions slowing work down.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

datajosh posted:

Sounds like I need to make friends with a Sprint retail employee if I want to get more people on my Framily plan.

An update on this, Sprint Customer support actually suggested this when I told them the way they treated me was bullshit.

I told them they can keep their dumb list I'm out for another company then back in a month to a framily on a rep list that'll cost me $25.

Then they told me I'd have to pay a cancellation fee, to which I said "welp I guess I'm not coming back then", they don't really loving care at all.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

deimos posted:

Then they told me I'd have to pay a cancellation fee, to which I said "welp I guess I'm not coming back then", they don't really loving care at all.

Don't forget TMo will pay your ETF.

Whilst farting I
Apr 25, 2006

I have an Optimus G, but it's out of warranty. It suddenly came down with 2 problems: I could only get data over Wifi (no calls, no texts), and the buttons on the bottom no longer work. I called Sprint about the data problem, and the tech said I'd have to bring it into the store and he'd never heard of the problem, and isn't sure why a factory reset wouldn't solve it.

How much will Sprint charge for a replacement? Should I not bother and just trade it in and use the credit to upgrade (and would they even take it with nonworking buttons :eng99:)? Asking at the store would probably result in an upsell, but I just want a phone working and not to be gouged for repair costs.

There is absolutely no physical damage to the phone.

Whilst farting I fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 18, 2014

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Whilst farting I posted:

I have an Optimus G, but it's out of warranty. It suddenly came down with 2 problems: I could only get data over Wifi (no calls, no texts), and the buttons on the bottom no longer work. I called Sprint about the data problem, and the tech said I'd have to bring it into the store and he'd never heard of the problem, and isn't sure why a factory reset wouldn't solve it.

How much will Sprint charge for a replacement? Should I not bother and just trade it in and use the credit to upgrade (and would they even take it with nonworking buttons :eng99:)? Asking at the store would probably result in an upsell, but I just want a phone working and not to be gouged for repair costs.

There is absolutely no physical damage to the phone.

The charge for replacing a device through the Advance Exchange program is $75 if you do not have Sprint's insurance program. If the store has a defective Optimus G that is being shipped back, they may be able to harvest the screen and get you up and running the day you come in. The charge is still $75 however. Using the device as a buyback is doable, but the non-functioning sub-keys reduce the amount Sprint will give you from about $36 to roughly half that. For the data issue, try going into the dial pad and typing in ##72786#. This will reset all the internal values on the phone that dictate how the device connects to the network. Hope this helps!

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Whilst farting I posted:

I could only get data over Wifi (no calls, no texts)
Since when could the Optimus G do wifi calling? I thought that was a new feature on select tri-band LTE phones.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

td4guy posted:

Since when could the Optimus G do wifi calling? I thought that was a new feature on select tri-band LTE phones.

He's saying that his phone doesn't receive calls or texts and data only works over wifi. You might want to read it again.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
With my Galaxy S3, I was able to make calls and get a data connection at the same time. My LG Flex seems incapable of doing that and I lose internet connectivity when I'm on a call. Is there anyway I can fix that, a setting maybe? It doesn't make sense why a 2 year old phone would be ale to do that and my brand new one can't.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

With my Galaxy S3, I was able to make calls and get a data connection at the same time. My LG Flex seems incapable of doing that and I lose internet connectivity when I'm on a call. Is there anyway I can fix that, a setting maybe? It doesn't make sense why a 2 year old phone would be ale to do that and my brand new one can't.

Sprint ditched svlte (simultaneous voice and lte) on the new phones to save on manufacturing costs iirc, so nope. You're back to the dark ages of voice or data but not both.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

thelightguy posted:

Sprint ditched svlte (simultaneous voice and lte) on the new phones to save on manufacturing costs iirc, so nope. You're back to the dark ages of voice or data but not both.

You mean they ditched SVDO (simultaneous Voice and EVDO) which means you could do voice and 3G concurrently. They allow LTE and voice concurrently, but my s4 can't do 3G and voice like the s3 can (it was actually something I made a big deal about in this thread until they brought LTE to my area).

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
I live in an LTE area so no, I can't get LTE and voice simultaneously.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

moolchaba posted:

You mean they ditched SVDO (simultaneous Voice and EVDO) which means you could do voice and 3G concurrently. They allow LTE and voice concurrently, but my s4 can't do 3G and voice like the s3 can (it was actually something I made a big deal about in this thread until they brought LTE to my area).

Spark devices are a single radio design that can't do SVDO or SVLTE. They can't do voice and data simultaneously, unlike earlier Sprint LTE devices.

You get better battery life and better signal reception with the single radio phones.
Also, if you're sprint, you might drop the 2nd radio requirement to make it more likely that you'll get the latest phones on your network. The simplified radio design means that Samsung or LG can get away with a single hardware version compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

Verizon requires dual radios in their phones to allow simultaneous voice and data. This means that the manufacturers have to make a Verizon specific version of their phones. They are a bigger company though, and can more easily get their own custom phone versions. (except the iphone. The iphone is the only single radio phone on verizon, and therefore the only phone that doesn't do simultaneous voice and data)

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I stand corrected. So is the S5 not able to do concurrent voice and lte?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

moolchaba posted:

I stand corrected. So is the S5 not able to do concurrent voice and lte?
That's correct, none of the Spark capable phones can do any simultaneous voice and mobile data of any kind.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

datajosh posted:

That's correct, none of the Spark capable phones can do any simultaneous voice and mobile data of any kind.

Progress! :v:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I haven't checked this thread in awhile, but what is this about Sprint offering free Spotfiy Premium for family members soon (I just saw it on the Verge in their article about Beats service)?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I haven't checked this thread in awhile, but what is this about Sprint offering free Spotfiy Premium for family members soon (I just saw it on the Verge in their article about Beats service)?

Sprint customers are going to be able to get a discount on Spotify premium. A similar service exists for college students. I currently get premium for $5 a month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

lazydog posted:

Spark devices are a single radio design that can't do SVDO or SVLTE. They can't do voice and data simultaneously, unlike earlier Sprint LTE devices.

You get better battery life and better signal reception with the single radio phones.
Also, if you're sprint, you might drop the 2nd radio requirement to make it more likely that you'll get the latest phones on your network. The simplified radio design means that Samsung or LG can get away with a single hardware version compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

Verizon requires dual radios in their phones to allow simultaneous voice and data. This means that the manufacturers have to make a Verizon specific version of their phones. They are a bigger company though, and can more easily get their own custom phone versions. (except the iphone. The iphone is the only single radio phone on verizon, and therefore the only phone that doesn't do simultaneous voice and data)

I just to mention that I switched to working at ATT, and dear god is it nice not having to worry about any of the drat headaches that CDMA causes. Just saying that anything that isn't GSM LTE really sucks.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
I have a Galaxy S4 and it keeps waking up every 20-30 seconds today to let me know "Network busy" It's never done this before. I'm in Irving, TX (Near Dallas). and it's getting really annoying.

Anything I can do?

EDIT - Hard rebooted, updated PRL, updated Profile. Same error. Sometimes I get an "Error #129"

raej fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 22, 2014

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wow, most sprint phones to un lockable.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=13965

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's only for phones launched on Sprints network after February 2015. So current phones don't count. All major U.S. carriers have agreed to do this, but only Sprint so far has announced their plans on how they will carry this out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
They basically have to, it'd be pretty dumb to tell people they can buy the phone through anyone else and unlock it, but not through them. Especially when probably every phone will be CDMA and GSM compatible.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I'm on SERO and my fiance is on EPRP. If I want to use her upgrade I can just active her phone once it arrives and then have her active mine on her line without any issues right?

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
This new "unlocking" announcement is bullshit.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mrchina posted:

This new "unlocking" announcement is bullshit.

You make some good points.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On paper it sounds like a win/win situation for customers. I can't think of any instance where this could come back to bite us in the rear end. Sprint is protected by their two year contracts, so you still won't be able to just simply leave Sprint for someone else, not without paying $350.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You make some good points.

Full and fair disclosure, I knew their unlocking policies before I signed the contract. I was fine with them.

I only started to care, however, when I read the responses by Sprint employees when asked why domestic unlocking is not possible. I saw statements like 'our network is different so that's why we don't unlock', when all I should have seen was a link to the unlocking T&C.

Let's ignore that Sprint initially shipped the iPhone 4s domestically unlocked, only corrected by a software patch. Instead, lets focus on how the heck the A1453 is incompatible with every single domestic carrier but Sprint? If the unlocking policy is due to a contractual obligation between Sprint & Apple, fine. What's not fine is straight up lying to customers to shut them up.

The only thing Sprint should be worried about is fixing their hosed network... not some goon wanting his two year old phone unlocked after satisfying the contractual obligations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mrchina posted:

Full and fair disclosure, I knew their unlocking policies before I signed the contract. I was fine with them.

I only started to care, however, when I read the responses by Sprint employees when asked why domestic unlocking is not possible. I saw statements like 'our network is different so that's why we don't unlock', when all I should have seen was a link to the unlocking T&C.

Let's ignore that Sprint initially shipped the iPhone 4s domestically unlocked, only corrected by a software patch. Instead, lets focus on how the heck the A1453 is incompatible with every single domestic carrier but Sprint? If the unlocking policy is due to a contractual obligation between Sprint & Apple, fine. What's not fine is straight up lying to customers to shut them up.

The only thing Sprint should be worried about is fixing their hosed network... not some goon wanting his two year old phone unlocked after satisfying the contractual obligations.

So I don't think I get your argument? You're pissed about the problem......that they just announced they are going to fix????

And you're saying Sprint shouldn't do that and should just improve their network.....which they are actively doing (albeit very slowly) anyways?

Sorry, your post just came off as "let me blow off steam about how much I hate Sprint" instead of actually responding to the fact that they are (for once) doing something that benefits the consumer. (Whether they're forced to do it or not is irrelevant. No other carrier has put a timeline on their unlocking plans)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The paperwork finally went through to get the dealer discount, only paying $25/mo now, that makes the general terribleness of Sprint a bit easier to swallow.

If they don't have LTE switched on in most of Denver by the end of summer/fall I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Sprint still has two year upgrade pricing, right? My girlfriend broke her old iphone 4s and I believed she had an upgrade to use, but the store she went to had people telling her the only choice now was to but the off contact price and pay a portion of it monthly. I'm thinking she was lied to but want to make sure.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Sprint still has two year upgrade pricing, right? My girlfriend broke her old iphone 4s and I believed she had an upgrade to use, but the store she went to had people telling her the only choice now was to but the off contact price and pay a portion of it monthly. I'm thinking she was lied to but want to make sure.

She can go to Sprint.com and check there, her account will tell her if she is upgrade eligible.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mastershakeman posted:

Is she on a Framily plan?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Is she on a Framily plan?

Yeah they put her on Framily. This is crazy, I had no idea Sprint went away from contracts. Basically her bill jumped from 70 to 110 and they're telling her in the store to sign up friends.

I honestly had no idea about the changes away from unlimited data and no subsidies.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The downside of Framily is no more discounted prices for phones.