Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

neetengie posted:

When his bigass health bar at the bottom shows up and a cutscene plays with red jelly spreading on the edges of your screen, yes that's when you need to fight him.

He's still a considered boss to face since his health bar appears and blocks off an area - you can go through Heide's but not a lot do, and it's more convenient to fight the Pursuer.

EDIT: I'd say he's required because you it makes the path much shorter, and who the gently caress wants to actually go through the Wharf except for the Lucatiel quest, Aurous Armor and Shadow Set, which the latter two only appear for NG+ and on.

There is a very nice ring and npc's in the warf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

sether01 posted:

There is a very nice ring and npc's in the warf!

Yeah, Gavlan makes up for it I guess. The Wharf is still lovely though.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Much like Demons, the cleric seems to SMASH the enemies on the level leading towards their spells. 4 hits, man. The mace is a beast.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

You can lock on to bosses' legs, game of the year.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Grondoth posted:

Much like Demons, the cleric seems to SMASH the enemies on the level leading towards their spells. 4 hits, man. The mace is a beast.

too bad lightning infusion doesn't have HP regen :smith:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I can't get the DS4 to work on PC for the life of me...

I run the Xinput wrapper poo poo and install and then....it just doesn't loving work

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I managed to get Skyrim into Dark Souls II

Characters look so much better in DaS2 but I kind of miss the lore behind the ethnic groups in DaS1. I thought those were kinda neat.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

neetengie posted:

too bad lightning infusion doesn't have HP regen :smith:

Yeah, no second coming of the blessed mace is a bummer.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I run the Xinput wrapper poo poo and install and then....it just doesn't loving work

Did you install the 360 drivers?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

neetengie posted:

Did you install the 360 drivers?

I have a 360 running on it. I don't know if it has to be specific drivers but yeah

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

I have a 360 running on it. I don't know if it has to be specific drivers but yeah

Just double check through the OP of that topic, and check each instruction - you might have some of the stuff installed, might need to reinstall it, etc.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

quaunaut posted:

So, I'm fighting all the koopas and it's really frustrating with all the drat debris around. Any tips?

Are the debris you're frustrated by black barrels? Instead of rolling into them, try using a firebomb on them, surely you picked up one or two by now. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alternatively, if you're talking about the iron turtles with the giant maces you can hit them, roll away, repeat until they die. They're really quite easy.

Speaking of them, though I've now got armor from them for every slot but a helmet. Can they drop their weapon?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Except their overhead strike is unblockable :ssh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Hahaha what the gently caress is with the Pursuer fight The ballistae basically instakills him.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is with the Pursuer fight The ballistae basically instakills him.

I think two are positioned there if people have a hard time fighting him, which is reasonable - he can break them after all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Except their overhead strike is unblockable :ssh:

Except it doesn't matter because if you roll away you won't get hit. That's literally all you have to do, roll away once and you can just walk back up and hit them again before they can do anything. Walk up, hit them, roll away. Repeat. You have enough time to hit them twice and roll away if you're feeling cheeky but the timing is a lot tighter.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

Walk up, hit them, roll away. Repeat. You have enough time to hit them twice and roll away if you're feeling cheeky but the timing is a lot tighter.

I found it's actually even easier, to roll to the side right as he starts the overhead swing. Puts you in range for an easy two hits. That is as long as you aren't near those firebomb jerks.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Except it doesn't matter because if you roll away you won't get hit. That's literally all you have to do, roll away once and you can just walk back up and hit them again before they can do anything. Walk up, hit them, roll away. Repeat. You have enough time to hit them twice and roll away if you're feeling cheeky but the timing is a lot tighter.
Yeah, they're really easy by themselves. They're just a pain when there's a lot of them, you're in really tight areas, or there are other enemies around.

Also, if you're having issues, go grab the flame sword. Its really easy to get and is arguably better than the Heide Knight sword at that point, though I think Heide probably wins out long-term with better scaling and less split damage.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Bought this as a pre-emptive victory present to myself for after my interview this morning. :darksouls:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is the Last Giant a dead end until endgame?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Should I level up as soon as I can afford an upgrade to health or should I just rack up the souls until I can upgrade various attributes at once?

Also, why cant I burn an effigy in Majula?! can I only restore humanity in danger zones?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 25, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

StashAugustine posted:

You got a key, that is it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, they're really easy by themselves. They're just a pain when there's a lot of them, you're in really tight areas, or there are other enemies around.

Also, if you're having issues, go grab the flame sword. Its really easy to get and is arguably better than the Heide Knight sword at that point, though I think Heide probably wins out long-term with better scaling and less split damage.

As long as you have room to back away they're basically the same whether there's one or two. If you get them close enough the strategy is the same regardless. The third bonfire is a huge dick about this though since you'll set two off every time you walk out of the door. Sink or swim! I honestly think that even two at a time they're easier to deal with than the knights with the shields.

Where is the flame sword though? I have the Heide one (gently caress that guy) but didn't find a fire sword.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

You mean the arena it's in? It's a permanent dead end.

Al-Saqr posted:

Should I level up as soon as I can afford an upgrade to health or should I just rack up the souls until I can upgrade various attributes at once?

Also, why cant I burn an effigy in Majula?! can I only restore humanity in danger zones?

I'd say Upgrade various attributes, burning effigies essentially disables co-op and PvP, you need to use them from the inventory.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Oh! You can use Estus as a white phantom now. That's pretty cool.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Alan Smithee posted:

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, DSTOOL 1.2.2 then what you need to do is run it, check "Hide DS4 Controller" then restart the computer. BAM, it works.

So I'm kind of curious if anyone could give me a simple run-down on exactly what I need to do in order to get Durante's 'DSFix v2.0' to work? I mean, I may have actually did it right but I'd like to be sure for ultimate pretties while I'm murdering(being murdered by) things!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

You got a key, that is it.

Does the key unlock anything other than the one door that leads to what I assume is the endgame?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Arthil posted:

If it's the same one I'm thinking of, DSTOOL 1.2.2 then what you need to do is run it, check "Hide DS4 Controller" then restart the computer. BAM, it works.

So I'm kind of curious if anyone could give me a simple run-down on exactly what I need to do in order to get Durante's 'DSFix v2.0' to work? I mean, I may have actually did it right but I'd like to be sure for ultimate pretties while I'm murdering(being murdered by) things!

I forgot about that option needed - you don't need to restart the comp by the way, I just had to restart the game and it was fine.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I rolled into a friendly phantom firing a ballista and died... :darksouls:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Steamforums:

quote:

there is also the issue that many players (including myself) seem to have, that we are unable to see any items, bloodstains, or messages left on the ground as well as all the white fog walls seem to be static

This is me. :smith:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

StashAugustine posted:

Does the key unlock anything other than the one door that leads to what I assume is the endgame?

It unlocks one more door. Try going past the elevator into the tunnel with the 2 spear guys and go right.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

It unlocks one more door. Try going past the elevator into the tunnel with the 2 spear guys and go right.

It also unlocks another area with a bonfire and a special tree - go past the halberd dude and the pretending to be dead guy, turn left into the area where it leads to a branch going up, but look to your right as soon as you enter. Just look for doors that look similar to the one leading to endgame and the one Moron is describing.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Ravenfood posted:

I've actually got both(Swordsman!). Should I just 1h it, since the shield isn't worth anything with that mace swing from them?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Spudd posted:

I rolled into a friendly phantom firing a ballista and died... :darksouls:

PizzaLawyer420 killed 9 people today while sunbroing.

Who knew sharpened logs fired from car sized ballistae would hurt?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

PizzaLawyer420 killed 9 people today while sunbroing.

Who knew sharpened logs fired from car sized ballistae would hurt?

I just thought it would work the same as a friendly phantom doing anything else with the whole phasing through me jazz. At least I know now that player controlled things can kill me. :v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I've seen some people mention that apparently your character or steam name is displayed when summoning/invaded, rather than some awful account name. Is this correct?

Please tell me this is correct. :allears:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Attestant posted:

I've seen some people mention that apparently your character or steam name is displayed when summoning/invaded, rather than some awful account name. Is this correct?

It's the name of your character when you make it, but a LOT of names are starred out.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Attestant posted:

It's the name of your character. I wish I had known this going in before giving my duder whatever random name popped into my head ("Sebastian" this time). Oh well.

As a random aside, names are censored. From what I can tell anything from swears to "something vaguely maybe not a good thing????" get starred out.

e: f;b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Drevoak posted:

You might be having the same issue I had.

FROM didn't fix the controller priority from DS1. I have a wireless 360 controller and I have to go into my device manager under Human Interface Devices and disable every USB device that I am not using because the game sees another "controller" and only looks for inputs from that one. I have an old Saitek keyboard and Dark Souls thinks it is a gaming pad for some reason.

This worked, thank you. This is a pretty amateur bug to have in a game. Basically every single PC game that needs it works with 360 controller no fuss these days. Even lovely games. I've never had a single problem until now. What's up Dark Souls 2 PC port team, whoever you are? Are you OK?

edit: I know probably only about 10% of pc users have 16:10 ratio monitors these days (which is sad, to me, though I understand why), but seriously isn't 10% of the people enough to warrant supporting that ratio? I hate games that are 16:9 only.

Damo fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 25, 2014