Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That's our UKIP!

Edit: And the sad unemployed builder in the UKIP campaign posters was an Irish immigrant.

By god, they really are taking all of our jobs.

http://thewordsmythuk.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/the-sweet-sweet-irony-of-ukips-latest-poster-campaign/

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xemloth
Mar 27, 2011

Wait, what?

Just watched Farage on north west tonight advising the region on fracking, his sage advice is to not look a gift horse in the mouth

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Gonzo McFee posted:

That's our UKIP!

Edit: And the sad unemployed builder in the UKIP campaign posters was an Irish immigrant.

By god, they really are taking all of our jobs.

http://thewordsmythuk.wordpress.com/2014/04/24/the-sweet-sweet-irony-of-ukips-latest-poster-campaign/

Yeah, he has been suspended, according to Nick Robinson. Tsk, these unpalatable out-of-nowhere opinions are so pesky, and never seem to be picked up in the selection process (which must be an afternoon down the Dog and Duck).Its almost like they all possess these views anyway.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'll give it to the Tory party, they at least know to keep these views behind closed doors.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trickjaw posted:

Yeah, he has been suspended, according to Nick Robinson. Tsk, these unpalatable out-of-nowhere opinions are so pesky, and never seem to be picked up in the selection process (which must be an afternoon down the Dog and Duck).Its almost like they all possess these views anyway.

Haha people on twitter are saying he was born in Zimbabwe. I guess you aren't an immigrant if you were born in one of the colonies and come over here (and are white obviously)?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

^^^The Empire is totally different to a European State, obviously. And we could freely shoot the darkies out there, so they knew their place^^^

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'll give it to the Tory party, they at least know to keep these views behind closed doors.

Big Nige agrees. Are the Hamiltons still Kippers? They have to be chomping at the bit to do something reprehensible to get tham back in the scandal rags.

Nick 'Tory boy' Robinson posted:

Farage admits "Something's gone wrong with our systems, this guy should have been weeded out". He was a UKIP council candidate too

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 24, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

They got rid of the Hamiltons I believe.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

marktheando posted:

Haha people on twitter are saying he was born in Zimbabwe. I guess you aren't an immigrant if you were born in one of the colonies and come over here (and are white obviously)?

Britishness is not by birth, but by generations of being British.

I think he's an immortal.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

marktheando posted:

They got rid of the Hamiltons I believe.

Aww. That could have been marvellous.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/shortcuts/2014/apr/21/neil-hamilton-ukip-christine-nigel-farage

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm pretty sure people are only saying this because it's got really awkward now that there are jamaicans and such who have been here for three generations and they've only just noticed.

They're going to flip poo poo when they realise how long Moorish and Arabs have been here.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Spangly A posted:

I'm pretty sure people are only saying this because it's got really awkward now that there are jamaicans and such who have been here for three generations and they've only just noticed.

They're going to flip poo poo when they realise how long Moorish and Arabs have been here.

Pictured: the oldest recorded hiding place of satanic foreign religions

Muslims have been worshipping here for over 150 years, those sneaky buggers must have forced dear old Queen Victoria to give them the right to do so thanks to wet Liberal euro-loving Prime Minister The 3rd Viscount Palmerston and the meddling Belgian King Leopold I.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah but that house wasn't there at, oh let's say, the end of the last ice age. That's when True Britishness began!

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

His first name is French and his surname is Anglo-Saxon, none of him is British.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but that house wasn't there at, oh let's say, the end of the last ice age. That's when True Britishness began!

This is honestly the most fun way to start a fight in a pub. Ask the nearest drunken UKIP supporter to trace their ancestry for appropriate British drawing lines.

Then, when they inevitably can't get past ww1 (a personal best so far), point out that Mooslems and Darkies predate that by several centuries and watch the lines of argument completely change. At this point be sure to be the closest person to them, it's bad form to not take the first punch.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
I hate that bullshit logic on Britishness, my Mum's great-grandparents moved to Britain before WW1 to work in the Durham coalfields, before settling in Yorkshire.

Therefore I am a 5th generation immigrant, but because of my pure Aryan complexion I'm totes British, but fellas I went to school with who are 4th generation immigrants from the Punjab are not because reasons.

I don't expect logic from idiot racists, but COME ON.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

CancerCakes posted:

And we all now know where to send our "donations" to the UKIP fund (two pounds in pennies).

Pounds? Pennies? Come on dude, €5 in 1 cent coins :cawg:

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Jack the Lad posted:

I was handed this at the tube station this morning:

I guess they're taking UKIP pretty seriously?

There is another party that wants to do all of those things (except 2, and while 4 is true it's not for restricting immigration) but I don't think the Tories will like being in our company. :getin:

Also "vote in an in-out referendum" is a really clumsy sentence, it sounds like the hokey-cokey.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Pictured: the oldest recorded hiding place of satanic foreign religions

Muslims have been worshipping here for over 150 years, those sneaky buggers must have forced dear old Queen Victoria to give them the right to do so thanks to wet Liberal euro-loving Prime Minister The 3rd Viscount Palmerston and the meddling Belgian King Leopold I.

Is that by Cardiff University? Senghenydd Road?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Go out and vote us in to get to vote 'out' and outvote 'in' in an in-out referendum in time

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Go out and vote us in to get to vote 'out' and outvote 'in' in an in-out referendum in time

Hah, postal vote uber-class represent!

My vote doesn't count :eng99:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Then it looks like you've voted to stay in while you vote to stay in or out! You're a perfect fit for the conservatives' dynamic thinking on this issue

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Oh dear me posted:

There is a lot of support for homeopathy etc among every party's members, but it's only used as a (bad) argument against Greens.
It's used as an argument against the greens because the support for homeopathy appears to be especially high compared to other parties. Do you also believe that it's unjust to criticize UKIP for being racists because every party contains a significant number of racists?

Oh dear me posted:

The best reason for that is that the Greens have a democratic policy formation process, so members' opinions might be thought actually to matter a little bit. That is, in itself, a good reason to vote Green.

Why are you on a debate forum if you consider all of your own opinions to be correct a priori? Personally, I think that the obsession with excess internal democracy is the reason why the British left wing has been a useless sack of poo poo for a very long time and consider that a reason not to vote for the Greens.

Oh dear me posted:

But if you are cynical, and think Green MPs will behave like all other MPs, and do what corporate lobbyists urge them to do, there is even less reason to worry about what some Green members think.
I am cynical to a point bordering on nihilism and no, I don't agree with you. Any intelligent Green leadership that got into power would do precisely the opposite because recent political history has provided a neat parable as to the consequences of that sort of thing in the shape of Clegg.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Are the Greens still completely against nuclear power in all its forms? Because I have no idea how anyone can take them seriously if that's still the case.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

Saki posted:

I have no idea how anyone can take them seriously if that's still the case.

I'd imagine it has something to do with private companies creating mini suns that can't be turned off when something goes wrong, making the area uninhabitable for 20,000 years and causing widespread deformities and increased mortality to wildlife and humans...

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Larry_Mullet posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with private companies creating mini suns that can't be turned off when something goes wrong, making the area uninhabitable for 20,000 years and causing widespread deformities and increased mortality to wildlife and humans...

That's pretty hyperbolic.

Here's some info about nuclear safety I found on a quick Google search, with numbers and sources.

Larry_Mullet
Sep 8, 2012

What did I say that wasn't correct there?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Larry_Mullet posted:

Larry_Mullet posted:

Actually the Sun is powered by fusion, not fission :smugbert:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
What we need to do is build a fusion plant, but it's currently beyond our technology.

....did anyone keep the number for those aliens?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Actually the sun is powered by a dung beetle pushing a flaming ball of poo poo around :science:

An apt metaphor for the British nation under cameregg

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Larry_Mullet posted:

Well you're clearly trying to make nuclear power sound dangerous, but it's actually significantly safer than other forms of power generation:

(Deaths from energy-related accidents per unit of electricity.)

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Larry_Mullet posted:

Larry_Mullet posted:

I bolded the incorrect parts for you.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

Jack the Lad posted:

Well you're clearly trying to make nuclear power sound dangerous, but it's actually significantly safer than other forms of power generation:

(Deaths from energy-related accidents per unit of electricity.)

:psyduck:

Source?

Is there some sort of widespread suicide cult that throws themselves into dams?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

spikenigma posted:

Source?

I'd like to see a source too, but to take a wild guess I'm assuming that includes the wholesale destruction of villages caused by bombing dams in the second world war?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

spikenigma posted:

Very very bad things happen if you're downstream of a dam that fails.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

spikenigma posted:

Source?

I would imagine the Banqiao Dam which killed hundreds of thousands. A lot of the trouble with a catastrophic failure is it only needs to happen once, to really bump those numbers up.

E: also that's deaths directly related to the accident, so nuclear wouldn't be that high unless they built a plant that exploded right next to a built up area. The indirect death toll would probably be a lot higher.

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 25, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Larry_Mullet posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with private companies
Not necessarily.

Larry_Mullet posted:

creating mini suns
Wrong.

Larry_Mullet posted:

that can't be turned off when something goes wrong
Wrong.

Larry_Mullet posted:

making the area uninhabitable for 20,000 years
Semi-true in the case of Chernobyl, otherwise bullshit.

Larry_Mullet posted:

causing widespread deformities
Wrong. This is largely a myth caused by Greenpeace not understanding that mutations in amphibians are really loving common.

Larry_Mullet posted:

increased mortality to wildlife and humans
Wrong. If you really think nuclear energy is dangerous, you need to explain why the other 99+% of your annual dose of radiation is harmless. Also, coal fired power plants emit more radiation than nuclear ones.

So yeah, that post is bullshit.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Larry_Mullet posted:

What do you think we should do in the short-to-medium term to replace nuclear power?

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

excellent, once the greens came up i knew a nuclear power spergathon was a'coming

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Larry_Mullet posted:

So as I was saying, it's difficult to take people like this seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

spikenigma posted:

Source?

I got it from that article I linked, but the source is the Paul Scherrer Institut

quote:

Hydro power generation has a record of few but very major events causing thousands of deaths. In 1975 when the Banqiao, Shimantan & other dams collapsed in Henan, China, at least 30,000 people were killed immediately and some 230,000 overall, with 18 GWe lost. In 1979 and 1980 in India some 3500 were killed by two hydro-electric dam failures, and in 2009 in Russia 75 were killed by a hydro power plant turbine disintegration.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Apr 25, 2014

• Locked thread