Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Most suspension people are pretty happy to explain what's going on and why they're adjsuting what. If they can't, I wouldn't have much faith in that suspension tuner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chichevache posted:

if I really want to learn more what would you all recommend?

Wikipedia, no joke. For the broad brush strokes, it's great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(vehicle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(motorcycle)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_components

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_electronics

Ola fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 24, 2014

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Also, and especially for actually doing the jobs that need doing, YouTube. There are multiple step by step instructional videos for every single service operation from adjusting your suspension to rebuilding your engine, often one for your specific model or series of bike. Use Wikipedia to find out the proper name for the bit you want to fix/adjust/service, then plug it into youtube.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Don't buy it until he has the real title and don't hand some random craigslister 500 bucks or something to "hold on to it". If he really will get it in a few days just wait and do a legitimate deal. There's zero reason to gently caress around on just buying a DRZ.

I dicked up the mileage and crossed it out on a title on a bike I was selling and the buyer didn't want to accept it like that. The BMV in Ohio just reprinted my title while I was standing there. Other states won't do that?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Flikken posted:

I dicked up the mileage and crossed it out on a title on a bike I was selling and the buyer didn't want to accept it like that. The BMV in Ohio just reprinted my title while I was standing there. Other states won't do that?

Massachusetts here, I did the same thing once a long time ago selling a car. Registry wouldn't take it, had to get a loving notarized letter stating the correct mileage.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
So someone decided to turn a perfectly good 1999 sv to http://www.nettimoto.com/suzuki/sv/1675610 this and ask 4200 euros for it. What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

No wonder the prices all all kinds of hosed up here.

edit: should have gone to the chatting thread, sorry.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 24, 2014

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Any muffler I find for my Bandit 600 will require me to cut the OEM exhaust right to fit right?

I like having the ability to go back to stock. The OEM can just makes it sound like a sewing machine since the exhaust is so quiet all you hear is the slappy valvetrain. I want something almost as big visually with a throatier sound. Bike is fast enough for me as is. (I like the visual balance of a big can out back.)

Something that is this size would look alright.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ReelBigLizard posted:

Also, and especially for actually doing the jobs that need doing, YouTube. There are multiple step by step instructional videos for every single service operation from adjusting your suspension to rebuilding your engine, often one for your specific model or series of bike. Use Wikipedia to find out the proper name for the bit you want to fix/adjust/service, then plug it into youtube.

Thanks. I figured those were options, but I wasn't sure if they was an "official" good source to use instead of these.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

If you had to decide between these two helmets, which would you choose?

http://www.amazon.com/GMax-GM54S-Modular-Helmet-Titanium/dp/B00ACASQ0E

http://www.amazon.com/GLX-Modular-Helmet-Shield-Matte/dp/B005QIG8U2/

Or, would you choose something else? I'm looking at Modular because I wear RX glasses and the flip up makes it a ton easier to put on and take off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Chichevache posted:

Thanks. I figured those were options, but I wasn't sure if they was an "official" good source to use instead of these.

Honestly, the best way to go is to try and learn the basics of engines and poo poo, and then come here and ask questions.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Razzled posted:

Somewhat of a side-track... I'm looking for insurance policies now for my interim learning tool and I have no idea what the gently caress.

This is one of the lowest I've been able to quote up with liability and comp&collision-- from Progressive. Does it look reasonable or way out of whack?

I can't see the attachment, possibly because I'm at work, but make sure that you buy decent limits, at least 100k / 300k, and buy full limits in Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists coverage (UM/UIM). Many (or most) motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle have the other vehicle at fault. Since Bodily Injury is much more likely on a rider, if the other guy is at fault, his insurance will pay first, then your UM/UIM if his isn't enough to fix your hurts. Don't just take my word for it either, Progressive says the same thing.

Also, and Progressive will do this, get a Combined Single Limit (CSL). Split limits, i.e. $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident aren't as good because the single person being injured is limited to only $100k. If you had a $300k CSL, and the other driver was at fault, your UM/UIM should pay up to $300k for your injuries. Depending on your state, getting a CSL, if the company offers one, can be very little money. (Mine was like $15.) Here's a good link on split limits vs. CSL.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

ReelBigLizard posted:

Start with something simple like changing oil.
yes, it's *that* one

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

Honestly, the best way to go is to try and learn the basics of engines and poo poo, and then come here and ask questions.

Yea, that's what I'm trying to do. The problem was not knowing whether there was a good place (besides Wiki) to learn the basics of enginges.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

MoraleHazard posted:

I can't see the attachment, possibly because I'm at work, but make sure that you buy decent limits, at least 100k / 300k, and buy full limits in Uninsured / Underinsured Motorists coverage (UM/UIM). Many (or most) motorcycle accidents involving another vehicle have the other vehicle at fault. Since Bodily Injury is much more likely on a rider, if the other guy is at fault, his insurance will pay first, then your UM/UIM if his isn't enough to fix your hurts. Don't just take my word for it either, Progressive says the same thing.

Also, and Progressive will do this, get a Combined Single Limit (CSL). Split limits, i.e. $100,000 per person / $300,000 per accident aren't as good because the single person being injured is limited to only $100k. If you had a $300k CSL, and the other driver was at fault, your UM/UIM should pay up to $300k for your injuries. Depending on your state, getting a CSL, if the company offers one, can be very little money. (Mine was like $15.) Here's a good link on split limits vs. CSL.

Cool thanks, I'll readjust the quote!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
There's also http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm, if you don't mind 90's era web design and the odd Bible verse.

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
I recently bought my first bike, a 2010 Ninja 250, and I am hoping to do as much of my own maintenance on it as possible. However, I am an absolute worthless idiot when it comes to machines, and I know nothing about how any of it works. How much of the maintenance is safe for me to do on my own, and what would put me at risk of ruining/breaking something?

I guess, what's the safest place to start?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Yousomuscle posted:

I recently bought my first bike, a 2010 Ninja 250, and I am hoping to do as much of my own maintenance on it as possible. However, I am an absolute worthless idiot when it comes to machines, and I know nothing about how any of it works. How much of the maintenance is safe for me to do on my own, and what would put me at risk of ruining/breaking something?

Probably the old stand by of oil changes. But it's like Z3n said, these things are all just a matter of watching and reading endless amounts of videos and tutorials on how to do them so the process is in your brain, and then applying that with meticulous attention to detail to the real thing. It's like putting a computer together, just follow the directions

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Razzled posted:

It's like putting a computer together, just follow the directions

You'll probably want to invest in a static ground-strap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yousomuscle posted:

Do an oil change, lube and tension your chain, do your tyre pressures.

After that I'd learn how to do spark plugs and an air filter. I'd also take the fairings and tank off just for the gently caress of it so you learn how it all comes apart and what it looks like architecturally.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Also, bikebro install/maintenance days.

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Do an oil change, lube and tension your chain, do your tyre pressures.

After that I'd learn how to do spark plugs and an air filter. I'd also take the fairings and tank off just for the gently caress of it so you learn how it all comes apart and what it looks like architecturally.

I think that would be a good place to start. I'm worried that I will misplace something and not be able to put it all back together, but taking off the fairings and tank doesn't require anything more than a socket wrench, right? I bought myself a metric socket wrench and allen wrench set in preparation.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Brakes are pretty easy to do without messing them up. Satisfying when you do it the first time too.

My wife has been servicing her BMW since she got it in 2010. The only things she took to the shop were wheels, for new tires. She was in your boat. My advice was pretty much look at stuff don't hurry. Read the manual and ask questions if you get stuck.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd be careful just taking poo poo off willy nilly like the fairings. The 250 has special nuts and if you tighten them too much they pop and break, something you're likely to do if you're taking em off with no guidance.

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012

nsaP posted:

I'd be careful just taking poo poo off willy nilly like the fairings. The 250 has special nuts and if you tighten them too much they pop and break, something you're likely to do if you're taking em off with no guidance.

Thanks for that tip, I'll look into how to tighten them properly before I gently caress around.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Yousomuscle posted:

Thanks for that tip, I'll look into how to tighten them properly before I gently caress around.

Am I blind or did nobody link to The Greatest Ninja 250 Site Around? I've gotten so much maintenance done on my bike because of this site, including replacing the brake fluid and pads, fixing the valve clearance, replacing the tires, and so much more. Buy now!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ya, he's got the link already, though it's got a little less info on the newgens (but I think the really major stuff is there). And the ninjette forums.

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

Am I blind or did nobody link to The Greatest Ninja 250 Site Around? I've gotten so much maintenance done on my bike because of this site, including replacing the brake fluid and pads, fixing the valve clearance, replacing the tires, and so much more. Buy now!

Thanks, this is a ton of good information!

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Has anyone heard of Markel Motorcycle Insurance? I just got an ad in the mail from them, and was interested. I have no real reason to be disappointed in my current insurance (Progressive), but was curious since I've never come across these guys before.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Razzled posted:

Alright guys, I'm in the process of buying a 2008 DRZ400SM from a guy. I'm gonna go check it out this weekend. He said his parents lost the title at some point after he paid it off a few years ago, but he's already requested a new title from the DMV or whatever and says he'll have it within the next week. In our correspondences he sent this and I just wanted to make sure it's ok.

Should I not hand him cash until I have the actual title in my hand or is a signed copy from the bank just as good? I don't know if I am reading it wrong but it seems like he's going to give me the bank's original copy of the title while the DMV sends him a new original?

I've literally never bought a vehicle by myself before, what do I do here?

e: this thing is so sexy

OK, bear with me guys. Hopefully last buying-a-bike-for-the-first-time question. The fellow selling me his bike said his dad found the original title on the bike. But he still has one inbound from the tag office next week. With a bill of sale and the original title is that enough protection for me to buy the bike and then have him mail the new title later? Or is there too much trust involved in there?

I just want to ride so bad, but if it isn't prudent I can wait a little longer.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Razzled posted:

OK, bear with me guys. Hopefully last buying-a-bike-for-the-first-time question. The fellow selling me his bike said his dad found the original title on the bike. But he still has one inbound from the tag office next week. With a bill of sale and the original title is that enough protection for me to buy the bike and then have him mail the new title later? Or is there too much trust involved in there?

I just want to ride so bad, but if it isn't prudent I can wait a little longer.

He doesn't need to mail the replacement title if you have the original and use that one at the DMV. You'll be getting a brand new title with your name on it a few weeks after purchasing it anyways - titles are a one-owner thing (unless you run into lovely people who float them the entire time they own a bike).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sarrisan posted:

Has anyone heard of Markel Motorcycle Insurance? I just got an ad in the mail from them, and was interested. I have no real reason to be disappointed in my current insurance (Progressive), but was curious since I've never come across these guys before.

I had Markel Bikeline (or whatever) when I first started riding, because it was cheaper. Never made a claim, though. After a few years they suddenly decided my literbike was much more dangerous and tried to triple my rate, at which point I switched to Geico.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bucephalus posted:

yes, it's *that* one
Knew which video it was, watched it again anyway. Probably watched it a dozen times, and I just now noticed that in the next cut after he touches the exhaust header he has a band-aid on his finger. :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bucephalus posted:

yes, it's *that* one

And then follow up with this guy's cafe racer build videos:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC28gtkJP-bK77M5Qyc3Dn7g

They're very in-depth.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
So I have this horrific screeching noise coming from the front disc brakes of my recently acquired V-Star. I checked and the brake pads look fine, had the tires changed and the mechanic said that it was the pads making the noise but that it wasn't a mechanical issue.

I'm feeling kinda cheap and would rather not replace what are apparently perfectly good pads, what's a decent way to fix something like this? I figure there's some kind of thing I can apply to the surface of the pad to get it to quiet down.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ArbitraryTA posted:

So I have this horrific screeching noise coming from the front disc brakes of my recently acquired V-Star. I checked and the brake pads look fine, had the tires changed and the mechanic said that it was the pads making the noise but that it wasn't a mechanical issue.

I'm feeling kinda cheap and would rather not replace what are apparently perfectly good pads, what's a decent way to fix something like this? I figure there's some kind of thing I can apply to the surface of the pad to get it to quiet down.

Never apply anything other than brake cleaner to the surface of the pads or discs.

Is the sound a metal-on-metal screech or more of a high-pitched squeal?

If it's the latter, you can apply a little copper grease to the back of the brake pads. This stops them from vibrating against the caliper, which is usually what causes brake noise.

A metal-on-metal screech, however is usually caused by worn-down brakes or brake pads put in backwards (ask me how I know).

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Never apply anything other than brake cleaner to the surface of the pads or discs.

Is the sound a metal-on-metal screech or more of a high-pitched squeal?

If it's the latter, you can apply a little copper grease to the back of the brake pads. This stops them from vibrating against the caliper, which is usually what causes brake noise.

A metal-on-metal screech, however is usually caused by worn-down brakes or brake pads put in backwards (ask me how I know).

I don't know quite how to describe it but I guess metal on metal would be appropriate? It's akin to the sound a train makes as it's coming to a stop.

As a weird addition to that, there was a day that it rained and I was driving. The brakes made no noise.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Try the copper grease on the back of the pads and anywhere they touch the calipers, and see whether that helps.

Copper grease is cheap, and it doesn't hurt to have the pads out to check for abnormal wear.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Try the copper grease on the back of the pads and anywhere they touch the calipers, and see whether that helps.

Copper grease is cheap, and it doesn't hurt to have the pads out to check for abnormal wear.

Fair enough. The local indie shop is pretty good about letting me park up my bike and borrow some tools/supplies so I might not even have to buy the copper grease.

vwman18
Jul 30, 2005

bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong
I have the same issue with my Vstar. I've been told by several people that it's due to the semi-metallic pads, and switching to organic will solve the issue. I am also cheap though, so I'm waiting until they need replacing to find out if switching will fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm looking for a front wheel spoke set for a Suzuki 1977 gs400 xb (with the drum brake, not the rotor). I've been looking everywhere, and I can't find a set for sale or even the measurements.