Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dunk Bot 3000 posted:

Hey so I safely descended into that Leonidas well in Majula and what the gently caress just happened? I'm exploring some weirdo rat crypt and then I get summoned and ganked? How? What? Why?

There are zones specifically for PVP depending on covenants. That's one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

If you ever see the name La Doncella, give me a summon. I will be more than happy to lend my metal-plated pugilism to your noble cause. :madmax:

(Yes, I do find naming a Dark Souls character after an ancient Incan mummy who was a sacrifice to their sun god highly poignant, thank you. Praising even unto death and beyond. :sun: )

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

It was airborne and I swung my sword and it honest to god made changed direction and smashed right in the head of the royal hollow that tossed it.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Walrus Pete posted:

Compared to DaS1 though, this game hands them out like candy.

Yeah, for certain. There are way more guaranteed drops, they're not too hard to get via Smooth and Shiny stones, and they have a farming target like DaS1 had.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

scamtank posted:

It was airborne and I swung my sword and it honest to god made changed direction and smashed right in the head of the royal hollow that tossed it.

I did it once by accident, seems to be an intentional mechanic.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

http://www.twitch.tv/alansmitheeplays

Gonna stream if anyone cares, even though eerbody and they gramma playin

scamtank posted:

Definitely a first time I've heard this was possible

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SuicideSnowman posted:

The sentinel fight is bullshit. That is all.

Yeah, it's really loving awful. Tried to do it a bunch of times, even with the NPC but she kept running out of my heal circles. Hell, I even tried to do it as a phantom but 0/5 on that so far. Urgh.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Finally killed that shitfucker Pursuer (yes I know he'll be back :gonk:) with jolly co-operation. And a healthy dose of lightning sword.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
These hidden doors are a mindfuck, highly rated message saying illusory wall ahead, attacking it didn't do anything and then I see two goddamn ghosts attack it, start running away, turn around and enter.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

These hidden doors are a mindfuck, highly rated message saying illusory wall ahead, attacking it didn't do anything and then I see two goddamn ghosts attack it, start running away, turn around and enter.

Some secret doors open with the use key, not attacking.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Any secret wall that actually opens with the interact button will also open regardless of messages in the way. Don't waste your time with Illusory Wall messages if it doesn't open first try.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Some harbor place near a ship, there's nothing for me there, but a highly rated message says there's a bonfire; guess I skipped some sequence.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Hahaha this is hilarious I am getting my rear end KICKED. The enemy groupings they throw at you are pretty nasty even in the early game along with the base level hollows being WAY more reactive than the ones in DS1. Two I can handle. Three gets somewhat hairy. Beyond that I tend to die a lot (hello ballista room). I also obviously need to get used to the new shield mechanics, because I keep pretending that it will pop up right away as soon as I hit the block button, and eating hellacious combos.

I'm glad as hell I'm going in blind because I didn't get the chance with the previous games, and this one has a more awesome and explorable world than either of them anyway. ~feels like the very first time~. Who knows what kind of crazy poo poo I'm missing, but I found the stone ring, mace and cleric talisman, flame sword, and a bunch of other poo poo at least by being persistent in my explorations. The game also gives you pretty clear hints as to what path leads towards progression and which is just loot. The progression one has something standing flat in the middle of it that makes you say "nope" and U-turn. That's really cool. I hate scouring different paths just to find out I've accidentally progressed and have to backtrack.

Best death so far: went up onto a certain platform to knock a flamebomb dude off, persuer dropped in and instantly skewered me. I was grinning from ear to ear when that happened.

StinkingHomo
Oct 8, 2006

I'm in ur house, using ur toiletz
So Nuuvem is probably the cheapest place to get it from now, right? I live in Europe though, does the key work fine or are there any restrictions? I've never bought from Nuuvem before.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Some harbor place near a ship, there's nothing for me there, but a highly rated message says there's a bonfire; guess I skipped some sequence.

No Man's Wharf?

There's some kinda neat treasure there, including a good ring, the viking pirate dudes can potentially drop a really good strength-scaling bow (also horned helmets), and the boss of the area is super goofy. You should go there.

Nathilus posted:

Hahaha this is hilarious I am getting my rear end KICKED. The enemy groupings they throw at you are pretty nasty even in the early game along with the base level hollows being WAY more reactive than the ones in DS1. Two I can handle. Three gets somewhat hairy. Beyond that I tend to die a lot (hello ballista room).

NPC AI can occasionally break, but when it's good, it's really good. Normal jackoff enemies will chase you all over the drat castle before you can shake them off and it's wonderful.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Mazed posted:

NPC AI can occasionally break, but when it's good, it's really good. Normal jackoff enemies will chase you all over the drat castle before you can shake them off and it's wonderful.

The first turtle knight (?) chased me all the god damned way across the bottom half of the level, from where he was stationed to the shortcut door to the bottom of the cardinal's tower ladder. Where he got stuck, unfortunately. He's too big to fit through the door and behaves like the hellboars at the very beginning of the duke's archives. Which kind of sucks because it messed up that first experience of the enemy type that was otherwise going amazingly. Still p. awesome though.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
My favorite enemy moment so far was with me as a white phantom, helping some dude explore some kinda sea/sewer area. There was this elevator shaft, I decided to go down for a bit since he seemed to be AFK, and I got two giant swamp things pissed at me, so I ran back to the elevator, and noted that the platform was going back up... so there went the escape route. However because the elevator platform was going up, there was a hole in the middle of the room... which one of the monsters fell into and died in because it was taking too big of a swing at me :toot:

Handling just one monster was a lot easier and then the guy came down and made sushi out of the thing's rear end. We even managed to take out the boss together :woop:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Is there an audio cue for grey spirit summons when I'm a ratbro? When I get summoned with a white sign the sound goes away so I know to tab back in, but what about when I summon greys?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

nftyw posted:

My favorite enemy moment so far was with me as a white phantom, helping some dude explore some kinda sea/sewer area. There was this elevator shaft, I decided to go down for a bit since he seemed to be AFK, and I got two giant swamp things pissed at me, so I ran back to the elevator, and noted that the platform was going back up... so there went the escape route. However because the elevator platform was going up, there was a hole in the middle of the room... which one of the monsters fell into and died in because it was taking too big of a swing at me :toot:

Handling just one monster was a lot easier and then the guy came down and made sushi out of the thing's rear end. We even managed to take out the boss together :woop:

Sinners rise? Yeah that's a legit strategy for those jerks.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Those water giant dudes you got to fall down the elevator, "enhanced undead" they're called, can be backstabbed.

Try to do it. It's magnificent.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Question, does the cleric hold a shield up all the time or is my DS4 being weird?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Question, does the cleric hold a shield up all the time or is my DS4 being weird?

There's a "guard lock" option. I have no idea why they included it but it's a thing.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
gently caress me, I almost beat the three sentinels on my first try and now I can't do nearly as well :shepicide:

Is there an easy way to make the run there or do you have to defeat like ten dudes in an enclosed space every time?

How do you use torches by the way?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

KoldPT posted:

gently caress me, I almost beat the three sentinels on my first try and now I can't do nearly as well :shepicide:

Is there an easy way to make the run there or do you have to defeat like ten dudes in an enclosed space every time?

Go downstairs after you enter the door, you can skip them all!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

KoldPT posted:

If you take the downstairs path up the ladder you can skip em. Also, that door that leads to a bottomless pit can actually be reached from the platform outside which skips having to go around to that door and down the stairs to get to the ladder.

Get up really close to a bonfire, toggle the action to light the torch, or use a light torch/sconce in the level to light it.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Oh my god, gargoyles

Not Al-Qaeda fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Apr 25, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Hello PC players. I come to you from the PS3.
I hope we can all be good friends. :)

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Considering bugging Steam for a refund because of this VAC nonsense.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I helped kill a boss for friendly players about 20 times and I decided I'd better take him down myself and spend all these drat souls. Died to a stupid mistake then got invaded and killed on the way back to my bloodstain, yessss. :darksouls:

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I'm trying to use that downsamping tool that Durante released and I'm getting some dll missing error, MinHook.x86.dll. I've no idea what this error is, the program launches anyway but activation fails and says "invalid hook procedure". I don't have a neogaf account so I can't ask there, anyone know what the deal is?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Oh my god, gargoyles

Anyone who went into this fight that played the first game probably knew exactly what was going to happen.

And it almost happened. I was legitimately expecting every single statue to attack.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alan Smithee posted:

If you have the touchpad enabled, disable it. That fixed it for me at least.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
This morning on my way to work, I spent some time staring at the sun. I thought about how beautiful and otherwise glorious it was on this particular morning, and how much it brightened my day that it was peeking through the clouds.

Then I realized that I was unironically praising the sun :darksouls: It's a good release day.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Anyone able to play this on a monitor with higher than normal refresh rate? Game crashes on startup for me.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I beat the sentinels on my first try, look at all the scrubs in this thread

(I may have died several times as a phantom before this to get the tactics down)

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
How do I disable the mouse cursor? Every time you open a menu the game puts it right in the middle of the screen.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Dragonrider is a chump, good wind-down after pursuer

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

lonter posted:

Anyone able to play this on a monitor with higher than normal refresh rate? Game crashes on startup for me.

Are you outputting through an HDMI cable? I'm running it on my media PC hooked up to a big TV, crashes on startup too. Found a workaround selecting the DS2 shortcut, unplugging the cable from the back of the PC then hitting enter on the keyboard to run the game. Wait 30 seconds or so then plug the cable back in.

Only problem is now there is no sound, makes me think the issue is with sending audio over HDMI. Gonna run more tests with dif monitors, cables & settings when I get home.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also the biggest dick move someone has done with a message is putting a "illusory wall" sign right in front of an illusory wall, which means you can't actually activate the wall because you're reading the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kenlon posted:

Goddamn it, FROM, would it have been so hard to let us use more than three buttons on the mouse?

"Who even uses a mouse with 3 buttons. What are you some kind of nerd?" - FROM :downs:

neetengie posted:

Buy a Club, and you should be fine. Upgrade it a lot - it is your friend. There are many like it, but that one is yours.

I started off as Deprived and it's kind of challenging, since I want to be a faith/str dude and I just now can use the spiky mace thing one handed.

That being said, it's not that hard.

Except Heide Knight as a deprived with rags and a thief sword, jesus. I got him down to half health once before he killed me for the first time. He keeps tricking me into thinking he's doing another move, and then he does a 360 spin attack while i roll past him to backstab.

Also Parrying seems easy now? Riposte however is harder maybe.