Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundayturks
May 31, 2011

You were expecting...Sandy Claws?

Fun Shoe

Gambrinus posted:

Is that by Cardiff University? Senghenydd Road?

That is immediately where I thought it was. What do we win, and was there a serious point to using that picture or was it just to illustrate A Victorian Street?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Semi-true in the case of Chernobyl, otherwise bullshit.

Nope, it's wrong in the case of chernobyl too, there are people that live and work in the exclusion zone now, it's pretty habitable. At this point the radiation exposure is increased, but not exceptionally dangerous.

The death toll remains at 65 afaik (50 during the disaster, 15 from thyroid cancer since), and there's been no real sign of an increase in cancer rates other than those that were first responders at the site.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Nigel Fartrage.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

brycey posted:

excellent, once the greens came up i knew a nuclear power spergathon was a'coming

Yeah, why did you guys correct that poster being wrong about nuclear power????? So spergy!!!!!!!!!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Larry_Mullet posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with private companies creating mini suns that can't be turned off when something goes wrong, making the area uninhabitable for 20,000 years and causing widespread deformities and increased mortality to wildlife and humans...
I agree with Larry, we need nationalised nuclear power.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Chernobyl is actually a giant wildlife reserve now because it turns out humans being nearby increases fauna mortality more than radiation. Radiation is also suspected to have a pro-immune response. And anyone familiar with Chernobyl knows full well you literally could not recreate that scenario anymore, and modern plants would still react better even if you could. Chernobyl wasn't an accident, it was malicious incompetence by the managers overruling engineers saying "hey, stop doing that, its going badly".

Radiation is good, go swimming in Japan.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Larry_Mullet posted:

private companies creating mini suns that can't be turned off when something goes wrong

Everything I Need to Know About Nuclear Power I Learned from Watching Spiderman 2

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Sundayturks posted:

That is immediately where I thought it was. What do we win, and was there a serious point to using that picture or was it just to illustrate A Victorian Street?

It's 2 Glynrhondda Street, Cathays and is the first UK mosque (recorded).

Weird how all you cynical types presume that a private sector nuclear power industry would automatically follow best practice and not chase shortcuts and regulatory loopholes to maximise short term profits, and quote safety figures provided by a body that self-describes as representing the same private sector. Of course self-interest has never led to selective data release in other areas of industry ever so that's probably fine.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

EmptyVessel posted:

Weird how all you cynical types presume that a private sector nuclear power industry would automatically follow best practice and not chase shortcuts and regulatory loopholes to maximise short term profits, and quote safety figures provided by a body that self-describes as representing the same private sector. Of course self-interest has never led to selective data release in other areas of industry ever so that's probably fine.

There is a difference between saying nuclear power can be run in a safe manner (above) and that it can be run in an unsafe manner (you). What a surprise.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

CancerCakes posted:

There is a difference between saying nuclear power can be run in a safe manner (above) and that it can be run in an unsafe manner (you). What a surprise.

can be =/= would be, and to presume otherwise is kind of odd. (Unless you think that the use of nuclear power will somehow magically usher in a communist technological utopia, or similar religious belief.)
Theoretically the average UK resident could be trusted not to misuse firearms but I dont feel that is a sensible argument for making them freely available.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

EmptyVessel posted:

I can't speak for others but I'm confident in the current level of regulation that is placed on the nuclear industry, and I'm confident in that regulation not being cut down any time in the near future because in the eyes of the government, too much is at stake.

If the nuclear industry were as little-regulated at certain other industries, then yeah, gently caress it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

spikenigma posted:

:psyduck:

Source?

Is there some sort of widespread suicide cult that throws themselves into dams?
Most of the sources I've seen put hydro as quite safe. Those are for the EU though, so I'm guessing that's because there haven't been any serious dam failures there (since EU formation, or over the study period, so excluding acts of war/malice).

From 'Economic Analysis of Various Options of Electricity Generation – Taking into Account Health and Environmental Effects', part of an EU External Costs of Energy study.
Nuclear is still the safest, besting wind and hydro for deaths/TWh. Coal and oil remain atrocious. It only takes into account electricity production, which is why GB has no deaths for oil, not because there haven't been serious incidents or environmental consequences from pulling it out of the ground/sea.

The main take-home point is that coal and oil are poo poo, and while the consequences from a failing hydro or nuclear plant may be worse than others, the day to day running hazards of the others far more than offset that.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

What's Lignite? Never heard of it before.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Brown coal. It is a younger and much more inefficient type of coal.

e/

new Cassetteboy remix, of Blair's speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Za99nO20g

:vince:

twoot fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 25, 2014

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Guavanaut posted:

Most of the sources I've seen put hydro as quite safe. Those are for the EU though, so I'm guessing that's because there haven't been any serious dam failures there (since EU formation, or over the study period, so excluding acts of war/malice).

From 'Economic Analysis of Various Options of Electricity Generation – Taking into Account Health and Environmental Effects', part of an EU External Costs of Energy study.
Nuclear is still the safest, besting wind and hydro for deaths/TWh. Coal and oil remain atrocious. It only takes into account electricity production, which is why GB has no deaths for oil, not because there haven't been serious incidents or environmental consequences from pulling it out of the ground/sea.

The main take-home point is that coal and oil are poo poo, and while the consequences from a failing hydro or nuclear plant may be worse than others, the day to day running hazards of the others far more than offset that.

Edit: misread oil for hydropower.

Yeh there really is no excuse for not pushing towards nuclear power now. But what is needed in future is a diverse portfolio of renewable energies, not just over-reliance on any single one method.

Private Eye fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 25, 2014

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure what's up with France's oil deaths. I've heard it could be poor environmental controls on plants or their drilling adventures in Africa, which have had lax worker safety.

e: Another reason could be that France gets a very large percentage of power from nuclear, so if you're only getting a tiny amount from coal or oil, any incidents will be magnified on a deaths/TWh graph.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 25, 2014

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I do kinda wish the Green Party would actually wake up about nuclear power. As it is they're relegating themselves to the fringe by being quite so backward.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Look at this guy who's never played Dwarf Fortress!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Saki posted:

I do kinda wish the Green Party would actually wake up about nuclear power. As it is they're relegating themselves to the fringe by being quite so backward.

Not particularly.
Nuclear power is one of those politically flexible topics. Being against or for it doesn't really make or break a campaign/poll numbers.

It's not that important in general discourse. Which is worrying since energy should be right up there in the top 5.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Saki posted:

The Greens also have an embarrassing history on healthcare; there are a lot of Green members who support alternative medicine like homeopathy. I've heard they've since grown up, though.

Anyway, tory_equality_consultants.jpg:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KKKlean Energy posted:

Actually the Sun is powered by fusion, not fission :smugbert:

Bam.

Mass produce thorium reactors until we harness fusion.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

El Scotch posted:

Bam.

Mass produce thorium reactors until we harness fusion.

This is my hopefully more realistic version of nerd fantasies about the Singularity.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

Anyway, tory_equality_consultants.jpg:

I suppose racism is pretty traditional.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I suppose racism is pretty traditional.

A Britain where I can't call my dark chum "Sooty" is not a Britain worth living in.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not particularly.
Nuclear power is one of those politically flexible topics. Being against or for it doesn't really make or break a campaign/poll numbers.

It's not that important in general discourse. Which is worrying since energy should be right up there in the top 5.

I don't think it's so much about the nuclear power in and of itself. So much as it is being able to go "The greens? Arn't they kind of nuts and against nuclear power for some stupid reasons?"

Basically it helps to easily paint them as rabidly anti-science. Which, frankly, reading this thread it seems they are.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In case anyone is interested, I'm doing a Guardian Masteclass in July, How to be a citizen journalist with Brown Moses.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Compare piper alpha to chernobyl and gently caress me I'd take nuclear every time. Not to even mention deep water horizon.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Man, cold callers are getting really loving lazy. This one took at least 4 seconds to activate his microphone and then it sounded like he was standing in the middle of Victoria Station in rush hour.
"Hello sir, my name is Alan and I'm calling from the National Accident Helpline..."

:fuckoff:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

kingturnip posted:

Man, cold callers are getting really loving lazy. This one took at least 4 seconds to activate his microphone and then it sounded like he was standing in the middle of Victoria Station in rush hour.
"Hello sir, my name is Alan and I'm calling from the National Accident Helpline..."

At least you had someone on the other end, we just get constant blank robocalls.

Nuked them with a call blocker :fuckoff:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kingturnip posted:

To be fair, that's more likely to be a lovely autodialler taking too long to connect Alan to the call than Alan being lazy.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sometimes they spam excess calls too, if you pick up and someone's free to handle it they'll be connected, otherwise you just get silence. That way they can make sure Alan is hitting his targets with zero downtime between calls!

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
I feel sorry for Alan, until Alan calls me up. Then Alan can go gently caress himself.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The best part is when Alan keeps calling you every day, even when you tell him you're not interested, and then Alan starts literally arguing with you on the phone.

"I'm not selling anything! What do you think I want? Tell me why you think I'm calling. Why?"

I try and be nice and polite to people and save them a bit of time, but gently caress that poo poo

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

The best part is when Alan keeps calling you every day, even when you tell him you're not interested, and then Alan starts literally arguing with you on the phone.

"I'm not selling anything! What do you think I want? Tell me why you think I'm calling. Why?"

I try and be nice and polite to people and save them a bit of time, but gently caress that poo poo

When I lived in Hertfordshire, I once had an "Alan" cold call and try and tell me 'the weather is very warm and nice here in portsmouth', it was snowing outside, and I very much doubted that "portsmouth" had warm, balmy weather.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Maybe Alan was telling the truth!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth,_Dominica

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Thats what fucks me off most, they might not be selling something to me, but they are trying to sell my details or my consent to be bothered more to someone. We get them at work constantly. Like two times a day anyway. One in particular asks about energy renewals even though "they arent an energy company" and "we arent selling anything". If thats the case why the gently caress are you desperate to speak to my boss daily even after she has told you "not a chance because you are so annoying" dozens of times? This has been going on since February and its only just started to quieten off now.

Its a job and people need money to live and what have you, but Id rather Alan starved at this point.

ps These are actually British sounding people so they must get paid on comission because I cant imagine its worthwhile employing people on an hourly rate for that.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Brown Moses posted:

In case anyone is interested, I'm doing a Guardian Masteclass in July, How to be a citizen journalist with Brown Moses.

50 squids is a bit much for me but congratulations, you've earned your acclaim for this.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Larry_Mullet posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with private companies creating mini suns that can't be turned off when something goes wrong, making the area uninhabitable for 20,000 years and causing widespread deformities and increased mortality to wildlife and humans...

This post is peer reviewed and found to be 100% pure science.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Well, Alan on this occasion was definitely from the Indian subcontinent.

I guess I could try playing the old 'Sachin was the best Pakistani cricketer ever' card and see if whoever I'm talking to takes the bait. But that sort of assumes that that every Indian cricket fan is as horrifically racist as Youtube comments suggest. And even I'm not cynical enough to think that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I just get voicemails talking about how "Lloyds, Halifax, and HSBC" are required to pay me back PPI.

I'm a NatWest customer whose only debts are student loans and credit cards.

Most of them come from 0843 numbers, so I tend to just ignore those.

• Locked thread