Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Also the biggest dick move someone has done with a message is putting a "illusory wall" sign right in front of an illusory wall, which means you can't actually activate the wall because you're reading the sign.

That's a fake sign. Opening a wall always takes precedence over reading a sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Alan Smithee posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/alansmitheeplays

Gonna stream if anyone cares, even though eerbody and they gramma playin

This better not interfere with your GAME OF THRONES OP-MAKING JOB, Alan! :argh:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Control Volume posted:

Also the biggest dick move someone has done with a message is putting a "illusory wall" sign right in front of an illusory wall, which means you can't actually activate the wall because you're reading the sign.

This is something that cannot happen. Somebody is trolling you with a fake message.

Actual illusory walls don't allow you to place signs on top of them, so that you can always open those.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Control Volume posted:

The devs did this :eng101: All action prompts take precidence over message prompts.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Attestant posted:

This is something that cannot happen. Somebody is trolling you with a fake message.

Actual illusory walls don't allow you to place signs on top of them, so that you can always open those.

Well now it's only slightly less of a dick move. :colbert:

Burns
May 10, 2008

Did anyone see an option to disable the mouse cursor anywhere in the options?

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Has anyone figured out how to toggle between "interact" options with KB/M? I fixed my control scheme almost entirely with AutoHotKey, but this last thing I can't do. I can't light a torch because I can't toggle at the bonfire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where should I be aiming to go after beating the last giant? Is there more to the forest or should I leave the area? I don't need specifics.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
100 kills in Belltower in one sitting.

So much blood. The bells. The Bells. Stay away from my bells. STAY AWAY FROM THE BELLS :unsmigghh:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Where should I be aiming to go after beating the last giant? Is there more to the forest or should I leave the area? I don't need specifics.

The (Soldier?) key you got opens a door a little bit earlier.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

KoldPT posted:

You could also just break it.

Namco are acting like the VAC stuff is not intentional. I don't see how specifically preventing people with VAC bans from playing online could be unintentional though. That's not something you accidentally put into the game.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 25, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I started hitting the 15 kill limit really early, then lost my bloodstain to the turtle knight's shockwave setting of the explosives after I had sniped the firebomb hollows.

Knowing I can't grind them back makes the soul loss frustrating especially early on in a first run when you don't know the weapons you are going to run into or their feel and don't want to spend the souls till you find something you like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

You could also just break it.

Namco are acting like the VAC stuff is not intentional. I don't see how specifically preventing people with VAC bans from playing online could be unintentional though. That's not something you accidentally put into the game.

Not only do I hope the VAC ban = no online is intentional, I hope they VAC ban anyone caught cheating going forward. It would be the most amazing thing to have at least one single souls game where blatant cheaters actually get punished and prevented from loving with the game.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
:wtc:

I think there might be some problems with gedosato.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KoldPT posted:

Thanks, I'll have to look around. I wouldn't ask but the forest is like a maze to me.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Not only do I hope the VAC ban = no online is intentional, I hope they VAC ban anyone caught cheating going forward. It would be the most amazing thing to have at least one single souls game where blatant cheaters actually get punished and prevented from loving with the game.

Except that they haven't mentioned VAC anywhere and if this is intentional, it's probably borderline illegal.

People who cheat in Dark Souls should be banned from Dark Souls. That is not the case.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Kanos posted:

I seriously hope otherwise. I have a VAC ban from my account when I was 15 (now 20) for, admittedly, using an aimbot. Scummy and terrible, but I don't think it should justify blocking online in other games. I haven't cheated in ANY game since that day I was banned from Modern Warfare 2 and have no intention of doing it in future, either.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Holy poo poo please stop using Ballistas, this is the 3rd time a friendly phantom has impaled me with them and every time it's been because I dodge roll at the perfect time to avoid the boss but get a face full of it. :smith:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Spudd posted:

Holy poo poo please stop using Ballistas, this is the 3rd time a friendly phantom has impaled me with them and every time it's been because I dodge roll at the perfect time to avoid the boss but get a face full of it. :smith:

White phantoms are invaders in disguise. :unsmigghh:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of too bad that Steam won't let various players message each other without being on their friends list.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Except that they haven't mentioned VAC anywhere and if this is intentional, it's probably borderline illegal.

People who cheat in Dark Souls should be banned from Dark Souls. That is not the case.

Doctor Albatross posted:

I seriously hope otherwise. I have a VAC ban from my account when I was 15 (now 20) for, admittedly, using an aimbot. Scummy and terrible, but I don't think it should justify blocking online in other games. I haven't cheated in ANY game since that day I was banned from Modern Warfare 2 and have no intention of doing it in future, either.

Ah, I misunderstood and didn't realize VAC bans from other games in the past were paying forward into DS2. That shouldn't be the case and I agree with you deserving a fair shake on that one.

I'm just excited over the prospect that finally people who cheat in these games might actually be prevented from loving the game up for once. It was so sad watching Dark Souls 1 PC descend into a lovely quagmire because a bunch of people figured out they could hack your character's stats, permanently kill your NPCs, or completely break your quest progress.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

How do I open the door that is locked from the other side in Forest of the Fallen Giants, near the Pharros door?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
You'll wish you could cheat once you realize what a pain in the rear end it is to get loving twinkling titanite and dragon bones. I'd rather kill dragons and clams all day everyday.

15 to upgrade a boss weapon my sexy rear end

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.

Kanos posted:

Ah, I misunderstood and didn't realize VAC bans from other games in the past were paying forward into DS2. That shouldn't be the case and I agree with you deserving a fair shake on that one.

I'm just excited over the prospect that finally people who cheat in these games might actually be prevented from loving the game up for once. It was so sad watching Dark Souls 1 PC descend into a lovely quagmire because a bunch of people figured out they could hack your character's stats, permanently kill your NPCs, or completely break your quest progress.

In that case, I wholeheartedly agree! If I read correctly, Namco are aware of the VAC issue and are working to fix it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

You'll wish you could cheat once you realize what a pain in the rear end it is to get loving twinkling titanite and dragon bones. I'd rather kill dragons and clams all day everyday.

15 to upgrade a boss weapon my sexy rear end

I've played through console 4 times, so I know how much it sucks. At least ascetic runs in Aerie make it pretty fast.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Well I've watched AlanSmithee's stream for a few hours now and I'm not sold. Which is a shame because I was so psyched pre console release. :smith:
I shall live vicariously through Alan and play Risk of Rain or something while I watch.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sitting Bull posted:

I made red waluigii

Put the top pic in the OP!!

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The mouse input delay is a real killer. Couple times now I've died because it takes almost a second to put my shield up.

This port isn't as bad as DS1, but it's not far from it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dezztroy posted:

The mouse input delay is a real killer. Couple times now I've died because it takes almost a second to put my shield up.

But they said it wasn't...a port this time :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Mouse input like...you're not playing with a controller? :stare:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:siren: :siren: PC TWEAKS COMING OUT FROM THE GUY WHO MADE DSfix :siren: :siren:

(( also have a nVidia card ))

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/screenshot_2014-04-10_21-52-02/

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Oh, and I'd be careful with any SweetFX or DSFix mods. They both use hooked DLLs which is exactly what VAC looks for. If you are VAC banned, create a second steam account and link it as a family member to the main account and you can play on the new account and bypass the VAC ban.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Am I missing something? (Pate) The gate near Pate refuses to open again after I died in there. I want my souls, damnit.

turtlecrunch posted:

Mouse input like...you're not playing with a controller? :stare:

I don't have a gamepad. :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dezztroy posted:

Shield raise delay is an intentional thing you have to budget stats for in DS2, it's not automatically instant like in DS1. You need to raise ADP or ATN to get your agility up. This also affects how fast you drink estus/use items and how many invincibility frames are on your roll.

Also Dark Souls 2 PC is so many miles ahead of Dark Souls 1 PC that to compare the two of them is insulting to DS2 PC.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Dezztroy posted:

Am I missing something? (Pate) The gate near Pate refuses to open again after I died in there. I want my souls, damnit.

I don't have a gamepad. :(

You have to go a different path to reach that area. The path is somewhere between Pate and the turtle knight. A giant will guide your way.

Is that advice Soulsy enough

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
So... Co-op not only makes you human, it refills your estus and repairs your equipment? Is that supposed to happen?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

These hidden doors are a mindfuck, highly rated message saying illusory wall ahead, attacking it didn't do anything and then I see two goddamn ghosts attack it, start running away, turn around and enter.

omfg it's because you have to press A not hit them. fuuck how many have i missed.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I was of the opinion that the music is kinda lackluster in this game. Not getting up to the original's level.

Then I ran into the Skeleton Lords.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Kanos posted:

Shield raise delay is an intentional thing you have to budget stats for in DS2, it's not automatically instant like in DS1. You need to raise ADP or ATN to get your agility up. This also affects how fast you drink estus/use items and how many invincibility frames are on your roll.

Yes, I know, but the game has significant delay for all mouse input. It also doesn't register attacks if you click the mouse button more than once.

Despite this, the game is enjoyable so far. I just hope I will be able to get online, not having messages or anything kinda detracts from the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

How do I open the door that is locked from the other side in Forest of the Fallen Giants, near the Pharros door?

Knock on it.