Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

VitalSigns posted:

Maybe that's the double-edged sword of Rush Limbaugh. The man is brilliant about making racism publicly acceptable again by cloaking it in euphemisms and going after anyone who points it out as a "race-baiter". But now the dumbest part of their base thinks it's okay to praise slavery and Jim Crow again in public again. They don't understand how Rush does it, so they think as long as they never outright say they hate black people then no one will think they are racist. So they just let it all hang out.
This is a guy who has lived mostly on his own on an isolated ranch his entire life. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been very open regarding his opinions on race his entire life, Limbaugh having nothing to do with it. Up until now, he's always been surrounded by fellow white people who didn't take umbrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Gen. Ripper posted:

Ahahaha I hope they legit prosecute him and deprive the Tea Partiers of their #1 choice for President in 2016.

Man can you imagine the shitstorm this would cause? They pitched a fit over the IRS thing, a presidential candidate not from the president's party getting arrested actually vaguely resembles something that would happen in a corrupt one-party state, it'd be glorious.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

made of bees posted:

Man can you imagine the shitstorm this would cause? They pitched a fit over the IRS thing, a presidential candidate not from the president's party getting arrested actually vaguely resembles something that would happen in a corrupt one-party state, it'd be glorious.

Goons will be the new thugs

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Gen. Ripper posted:

Ahahaha I hope they legit prosecute him and deprive the Tea Partiers of their #1 choice for President in 2016.

If they actually do investigate, it'll probably just end in forfeiture of the pelt and him rolling over on the seller in exchange for them dropping the matter. Nothing bad enough to sink him. Plus it'd probably just make the tea party folk love him more. Party of spite and all. :(

mdemone posted:

How can we make sure this guy keeps talking straight through 'til November?

A few guys on a camping trip in matching blue berets would probably do the trick.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

quote:

Bundy noted that he "hardly ever" saw a black person until he was a teenager, and was surrounded by only white people during the press conference he was holding, according to the Post.

This is hilarious. You know how your racist uncle/grandpa will do that quick sweeping glance around the room before saying something racist as gently caress and then not understand why you're upset? That's pretty much what happened here. Dude thought he was safe to let his real thoughts out because all the reporters were white.

It's great because as much as the right wing want him to quietly disappear now, all other forms of media are now twice as interested and his platform for saying increasing dumb poo poo isn't going anywhere.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Re: Tiger

You should be ashamed of yourself, this is the real issue

quote:

UPDATE: Frazier, Cruz’s spokeswoman
“It’s unfortunate the same outrage isn’t displayed by the left when it comes to defending the lives of hundreds of thousands of unborn babies aborted every year,” she said in an email.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I wanna know what the hell question could have led to him giving that answer. Its not like that context will help him in any way, but I want to know how he got launched into that, and right now all I'm picturing is him saying "apropos of nothing, here's what I think of the blacks".

zoux posted:

Yes, I remember the 2012 election where the Democrats rode a wave of anti-misogynist Republican sentiment into control of the House and state legislatures.
The guy is not doing Animal Nuz here - he never suggested Republican racism could help the Dems take the House or the states, just help them maintain control of the Senate and pick up one or two House seats. Which is, again, what happened in 2012.

And yes, there is no-one defending this guy. Yet. Step 1 through 4 are everyone saying how reprehensible this guy is. Then we get to "he was wrong, but he still has a point". Which becomes "He said nothing wrong". Which becomes "this is a core statement of conservatism, and if you aren't saying it we will fight you to the death". Which is again, the Akin thing - first round is everyone saying that he was wrong, second round is "I wouldn't have said it like that, but he has a point - the body CAN shut that whole thing down". Same again with Rush Limbaugh and Sandra Fluke - first round, Rush has gone too far, second round, "she's not a whore, but why DOES she need all that birth control?".

fool_of_sound posted:

No one is going to defend anyone saying friend of the family and keep their job.

That's exactly what we said about rape.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Haha the idiotic "well you should care about aborted babies instead of X" is starting to get a LITTLE overplayed guys.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Fried Chicken posted:

PPP is completely legit. The fake one caught the other year was Gravis Marketing. There was another fake one that Nate Silver exposed in 2009 but I forget their name

Research 2000.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Cliven Bundy do you think the Jews are a thrifty people? Cliven Bundy should elementary schools celebrate Kwaanzaa? Cliven Bundy how old is the Earth?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Fulchrum posted:

I wanna know what the hell question could have led to him giving that answer. Its not like that context will help him in any way, but I want to know how he got launched into that, and right now all I'm picturing is him saying "apropos of nothing, here's what I think of the blacks".

He started off talking about how he in LA during the Watts Riots, which he says were caused by people "not having their freedoms", just like he isn't being given his freedom. Then, not satisfied with merely comparing his situation to institutional segregation and policy brutality, he decided that race riots provided a great opportunity to segue into his theories about the various races.

It's one of those cases where the context actually makes him look worse.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Cliven Bundy do you think the Jews are a thrifty people? Cliven Bundy should elementary schools celebrate Kwaanzaa? Cliven Bundy how old is the Earth?

All you're doing is reminding me is that his answers to these questions would probably agree with a good quarter of Americans.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
It's time we get serious and recognize that race relations? Yeah, still a problem in the Year Of Our Lord 2014. So many people think, hell, because we've got a black president, everything is fine? Well have you SEEN some of the stuff the republicans have been saying lately? And don't get me started on the libertarians.. for my money, all this "free market" nonsense they love to talk about ("small government", too) is really just a front - for what, you ask? In my opinion, it's likely dog whistle for anti-minority race politics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics

Like the wikipedia article says, you don't win an election by saying "n*gger" anymore, but instead target things that disproportionately effect the blacks...... things like voter ID laws, and the like. It's a way to get black folks (especially in the south!!) to not vote. There are statistics that prove this. So for my money, when these Randian libertarian shitheels are standing up for this farmer Bundy, think about what they're REALLY saying.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

I wanna know what the hell question could have led to him giving that answer. Its not like that context will help him in any way, but I want to know how he got launched into that, and right now all I'm picturing is him saying "apropos of nothing, here's what I think of the coloreds".

Fixed that for you

Fulchrum posted:

The guy is not doing Animal Nuz here - he never suggested Republican racism could help the Dems take the House or the states, just help them maintain control of the Senate and pick up one or two House seats. Which is, again, what happened in 2012.
That's exactly what we said about rape.

I WANT TO BELIEVE. But honestly there just has to be a line. Though nobody has even won money on the Right-Wing Machine having decency or common sense WRT this stuff.

Fried Chicken posted:

PPP is completely legit.

In the "we actually call people on the phone and ask their opinions" sense, sure. But they do so much playing and re-weighting of their numbers in the direction of "what we think the results should be" that it ends up pretty funky. At least, even the PPP guy's "rebuttal" sounded really fishy along those lines to me.

haveblue posted:

You do all that if you're a disciplined media wrangler with a coherent, pre-planned agenda. You do what he's doing here if you're a bona fide crank that a national party elevated to mascot status overnight.

Speaking as a literal (very-low-ranking) Party Apparatchik, I don't understand how you could possibly try to put a guy like this in the spotlight and keep him there for weeks, and not have a media consultant on a plane to meet with him on Day 2. And it's not like he said something out of left-field about the Bilderbergers or something, this is really "How To Do Media 101" stuff - shut your yap about Race, Women, and Aliens. Don't even say nothin'. Always try to drag the focus back to your rights to this land and how the BLM sucks, don't get bogged down on any other political issue of any kind. Play it as "The LIBERAL MEDIA is trying to trap you so they can dismiss you, here's one simple trick to stop them". What I don't get is why both sides don't have twenty-something Media folks they can put on a plane the SECOND they hear stuff like this starting to blow up in their favor.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Jackson Taus posted:

In the "we actually call people on the phone and ask their opinions" sense, sure. But they do so much playing and re-weighting of their numbers in the direction of "what we think the results should be" that it ends up pretty funky. At least, even the PPP guy's "rebuttal" sounded really fishy along those lines to me.

No. No it isn't. http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/polls/266615-study-finds-ppp-kos-the-most-accurate-pollsters-in-2012

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Whenever somebody says the "there's no racism, there's a black president" thing, my favorite response is "Yeah, the people who voted for Obama proved they aren't racist. So, who did you vote for?"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

He started off talking about how he in LA during the Watts Riots, which he says were caused by people "not having their freedoms", just like he isn't being given his freedom. Then, not satisfied with merely comparing his situation to institutional segregation and policy brutality, he decided that race riots provided a great opportunity to segue into his theories about the various races.

It's one of those cases where the context actually makes him look worse.

I'll give him credit for saying the race riots of the 60s were due to oppression rather than uppity negroes or whatever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fool_of_sound posted:

No one is going to defend anyone saying friend of the family and keep their job.

Boy are you in for a shock when you visit reddit since you don't appear to have done so yet. :sigh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So, did someone sew that rancher guy's mouth shut or is he going to keep pouring out useful (for the other side) tidbits forever?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I never watch local news so unless something hits national or at least statewide level of news I often miss it but I stumbled on this little gem from April 7. Gun-rights group sets sights on Arlington ordinance which covers a group named Open Carry Texas, the first I'd heard of them but, I'm sure not the last.

quote:

With AR-15s, Mossberg 20-gauge shotguns and modified AK-47s slung over their shoulders, gun-rights activists received thumbs up, handshakes and honks of approval Thursday night as they distributed information to motorists who rolled down their windows at a busy Mansfield intersection.

The demonstrators were from the Tarrant County chapter of Open Carry Texas, whose mission includes lobbying legislators to enact less-restrictive gun laws, educating residents about their right to openly carry shotguns and rifles safely, and helping the public feel comfortable around those who do.

“We are trying to make it as normal as possible for people to see a gun like a fashion accessory,” said Kory Watkins, an Open Carry Tarrant County representative. “That is the way it should be. This is America.”

I'm sure they don't want to know that what would make me feel comfortable is not seeing some fat redneck rear end in a top hat carrying an AR-15 in public. Who in their right mind would associate a gun with a fashion accessory?

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Betcha tomorrow conservatives will be in full persecution mode. "Libs are obsessing over one rogue bad apple in order to paint all conservatives as racist and distract from Obama scandals, what a bunch of corrupt bullies. :( "

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
"It's weird how nobody ever theorizes that white people on welfare might be better off as slaves."

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Speaking as a Chinese brother, I lost a bit of interest in all this when a shaven headed white guy leaned out of a passenger window and mimicked cocking and firing a shotgun at me on a street in Tennessee.

So you'll excuse me if I find the basic premises of rule of law more appealing than your whiny, self-righteous "Freedom from government".

PS: I also don't think black people are inferior, and certainly don't appreciate being considered a "model minority".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Purse, a fashion accessory. It holds your things, and can look snazzy! But can you negligently discharge it into a truck, or a child? No! That's why they call it accessorizing, hello. It's all about choices!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

for the sake of clarity re: research 2000

538/Nate Silver posted an analysis of polling firm accuracy, on which Research 2000 ranked very low. Daily Kos canceled the contract on that basis. Afterwards, a group of left wing stats hippies became suspicious and ran an analysis of the data. They came to Kos with the results, determining that R2K had fabricated results. Kos sued R2k and the case was settled out of court.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Edit: oh, I missed the post he was responding to, never mind me.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 25, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

radical meme posted:

I'm sure they don't want to know that what would make me feel comfortable is not seeing some fat redneck rear end in a top hat carrying an AR-15 in public. Who in their right mind would associate a gun with a fashion accessory?

I don't recall who it was that was saying it, but they've stopped thinking of firearms as tools and have started treating them like totems. Less and less about defense or freedom or even offense or whatever other actual use and more about projecting some ridiculous image they've gotten in their heads.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ReidRansom posted:

I don't recall who it was that was saying it, but they've stopped thinking of firearms as tools and have started treating them like totems. Less and less about defense or freedom or even offense or whatever other actual use and more about projecting some ridiculous image they've gotten in their heads.
That might've been me but I don't think I invented it either. I do think in large part they are meant to project a psychological image - that's way more important than the actual role of the object itself - but I'm not gonna start a big old derail over it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

What could be more about American politics than guns?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Someone post that Bors "Open Carry? No--Open POINTING is where its at!" comic.

Plus, if I saw some redneck with an AR walking towards my car "Oh hey, a reasonable human being who merely wants to offer some literature" would not be the first thing on my mind. I guess that makes me an unamerican Bad Person.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Open carry sounds like a fantastic way to get yourself shot if you're ever around an unbalanced individual looking to do harm.

Because I'm pretty sure they'll be gunning for folks that can get in their way, not unassuming dudes and gals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OAquinas posted:

Someone post that Bors "Open Carry? No--Open POINTING is where its at!" comic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

zoux posted:

What context is he saying could possibly justify what he said? Or is he not offering anything other than "I didn't say the things that you have me on video tape saying"?

The context of having a casual conversation with a time traveller from 1823.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

JT Jag posted:

This is a guy who has lived mostly on his own on an isolated ranch his entire life. I wouldn't be surprised if he has been very open regarding his opinions on race his entire life, Limbaugh having nothing to do with it. Up until now, he's always been surrounded by fellow white people who didn't take umbrage.

Yeah. There are a ton of white people who have simply never been called out on their racism, and thus don't even realize it when they're saying something unacceptable. On a recent visit home, my step-father was explaining how he's not going to let political correctness keep him from poking fun at people, like for instance having a laugh with "orientals" about their slanted eyes. I can only imagine Asian dudes laughing uncomfortably because it wouldn't go well for them to punch his lights out. I've also sat in the living room of a family friend while she explained that she wasn't racist, she just couldn't respect Those People who burned down Their neighborhoods in race riots in Pittsburgh.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jackson Taus posted:

Every single pollster weights their numbers. Polls would be wildly inaccurate if they didn't. The best way to judge if they weight the proper amount is how well their predictions reflect election results, and PPP does pretty well on that front.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

We laugh, but there are posters here in DnD itself that think this is a good idea.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Who What Now posted:

We laugh, but there are posters here in DnD itself that think this is a good idea.

Wow -- for me, guns don't actually make people more safe, they make people less safe. Don't believe me? Check the number of murders in other first world countries where they are illegal, and you'll see.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

Show us.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

quote:

"Maybe I sin ... and maybe I don't know what I actually said. ... If I say Negro or black or slave ... if those people cannot take those kind of words and not be (offended), then Martin Luther King hasn't got his job done yet. ... We need to get over this prejudice stuff," he said.

Yeah, what the hell Martin Luther King?

quote:

"I might be a welfare queen. But I'll tell you I'm producing something for America and using a resource that nobody else would use or could use. I'm putting red meat on the table."

This guy is like a dog whistle racism madlib.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

tbp posted:

Wow -- for me, guns don't actually make people more safe, they make people less safe. Don't believe me? Check the number of murders in other first world countries where they are illegal, and you'll see.

Ugh, can we not do the gunchat thing in here? It strikes me as a...fantastically bad idea.

• Locked thread