Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Dudeguy posted:

loving Microsoft support. Opened (and paid for) a ticket for Unified Messaging "Sean Connery Mode". Noted my availability in the ticket, and that I preferred to be contacted by e-mail. After two weeks and three after-hours phone calls (that I didn't answer), he finally calls me for the "intro call".

:haw: "Ok just e-mail me a quick two-sentence summary of the issue with as much detail as you can."
:confused: "I have all the details in the ticket, as well as a link to the TechNet thread I posted in, with even more detail."
:haw: "Oh we never check the tickets or the forums."
You should ask for/demand a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Today, one by one, every WinXP print spooler on every PC is crashing. I'm deleting the spool/printers folder, turning the service back on and telling recover to always attempt to restart the service.

It prints fine for a few minutes then the spoiler crashes again.

I deleted all pending documents to make sure it isn't a particular file but that didn't help.

Edit: I should mention this started when I changed the scripts to map all the printers in the hospital on each PC instead of only department specific. I had to do that because the new domain controller corporate forced us to install is broken as gently caress. Event Viewer didn't give me any hints.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 24, 2014

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Today, one by one, every WinXP print spooler on every PC is crashing. I'm deleting the spool/printers folder, turning the service back on and telling recover to always attempt to restart the service.

It prints fine for a few minutes then the spoiler crashes again.

I deleted all pending documents to make sure it isn't a particular file but that didn't help.

Edit: I should mention this started when I changed the scripts to map all the printers in the hospital on each PC instead of only department specific. I had to do that because the new domain controller corporate forced us to install is broken as gently caress.

HP 1022n?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A user just sent me an appointment reminder for a meeting she just scheduled for me to come to her remote site to look at a printer problem tomorrow at 9am.

ahahahahahah lol no

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

One of the shining examples of how HP used to be an engineering company. gently caress printers, and gently caress this POS in particular. Also the 5100 series can go straight to hell. We got a bunch of 'em on lease, all tricked out with dual paper trays and everything. The big flaw with that configuration was that you could get a really, really nasty paper jam out of it. It'd feed wrong and leave the page stuffed into the paper path hidden under another component, fan folded into a strip a quarter of an inch deep and 8.5" wide. And, as I mentioned, hidden.

The 5100 used drivers provided with OS X containing a horrible bug when printing postscript, especially from Creative Suite. I actually got an HP engineer and an Apple engineer on the phone and talked the HP person into shipping a printer to Apple. The bug vanished in the next point update to OS X.

You're welcome.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's wrong with the 1022n? We have a half dozen of them and they've all been solid little printers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The 6040 model we use has one spot in the paper path just after the fuser where the paper can jam, but that segment doesn't have a jam detector so the printer won't tell you there's a paper jam, it will just refuse to continue printing for no apparent reason. You also won't see the jam just by opening the door to that segment, you have to remove the fuser too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Sirotan posted:

A user just sent me an appointment reminder for a meeting she just scheduled for me to come to her remote site to look at a printer problem tomorrow at 9am.

ahahahahahah lol no

Why in the hell would a user believe she could schedule you for a ticket?

Users should consider themselves lucky to get a scheduled time at all instead of being booted whenever IT shows up :colbert:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I found it, it was an HP 1606dn. It was crashing my 2003 print server six months ago, so I pulled it from the network and made it a local printer. I thought I deleted the driver off the server but I just found it there right now and murdered it. The workstations keep a copy though, right? How the hell do I find it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 because everything in there is named "hewlett_packardhp_la023a" instead of the actual loving printer name.

Edit: I found one folder, "hewlett_packardhp_la3fce" that Google suggests are HP 1020 drivers. That seems ominous since my only printer series are 1200, 1320, 2100, 3200, 4000, and 4050.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 24, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Why in the hell would a user believe she could schedule you for a ticket?

Users should consider themselves lucky to get a scheduled time at all instead of being booted whenever IT shows up :colbert:

I have no idea. Even worse is she just randomly sends me this appointment reminder with 0 details at all with the subject "printer alignment problem", an issue I was unaware of and wouldn't do anything about anyway besides put in a service call with our printer people.

Oh yeah and she told me she's had this problem for "about a year and a half". :lol:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sirotan posted:

Oh yeah and she told me she's had this problem for "about a year and a half". :lol:

Can't be that important then.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer
A request came in.....

:downs: "Can I get the badge photos of {list of employees}?"
:v: "I can probably do that."
:downs: ".... from 1974?"

Why would I even have that?!?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

I have no idea. Even worse is she just randomly sends me this appointment reminder with 0 details at all with the subject "printer alignment problem", an issue I was unaware of and wouldn't do anything about anyway besides put in a service call with our printer people.

This is why outlook has a decline button.

Decline with comments, specifically.

"Please contact IT for proper ticketing procedure"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The only meetings I accept without pre-authorization is when it says "lunch included".

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

GreenNight posted:

What's wrong with the 1022n? We have a half dozen of them and they've all been solid little printers.

The 1022n has a nasty habit of crashing and burning (and taking the entire Windows printer subsystem with it) when fed PDF files or other file formats.

Usually I've only ever seen it happen with PDFs.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

n3rdal3rt posted:

A request came in.....

Check the cloud. Everything is in the cloud.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Huh weird. Never experienced that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

n3rdal3rt posted:

A request came in.....

Someone is clearly trying to solve a decades-old crime or something. Maybe you employ the Zodiac Killer.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

This is why outlook has a decline button.

Decline with comments, specifically.

"Please contact IT for proper ticketing procedure"

I'd go for suggest new time in about a year and a half

It gives me an idea for a stupid prank, next time someone sends out a meeting request to a large DL I wonder how many unattended unlocked computers end up suggesting new times

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

angry armadillo posted:

I'd go for suggest new time in about a year and a half

It gives me an idea for a stupid prank, next time someone sends out a meeting request to a large DL I wonder how many unattended unlocked computers end up suggesting new times

While amusing, I think pranks should be between you and whoever left their computer unlocked. When you make it a matter of public humiliation you're just making enemies.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Zero VGS posted:

I found it, it was an HP 1606dn. It was crashing my 2003 print server six months ago, so I pulled it from the network and made it a local printer. I thought I deleted the driver off the server but I just found it there right now and murdered it. The workstations keep a copy though, right? How the hell do I find it in C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86 because everything in there is named "hewlett_packardhp_la023a" instead of the actual loving printer name.

Edit: I found one folder, "hewlett_packardhp_la3fce" that Google suggests are HP 1020 drivers. That seems ominous since my only printer series are 1200, 1320, 2100, 3200, 4000, and 4050.

The p1100-1600 series driver is a special snowflake. I just use the universal PCL5E one and it usually works. You think the 1606dn sucks, trying having 40+ p1102w's in the building :gonk:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

n3rdal3rt posted:

A request came in.....

Fill several large boxes with punchcards.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Fill several large boxes with punchcards.

Make said punchcards display the code for goatse if anyone actually bothers translating it.

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

I work retail. Our photo kiosks are Dell Windows XP machines running Fujifilm software, with a nice touch-screen monitor, in a case that features a receipt printer and a multi-slot memory card reader mounted on the front of the case. Each slot is individually labeled with the name of the card that goes in said slot, and the helpful voice guide tells you exactly what card you have, and where to put that card.

One of these photo kiosks became unusable today. Cause: a customer had mashed their XD card into the SDHC slot, forcing it in all the way despite them being comfortably seated only halfway into the machine. They had actually managed to push the internal cover out and lose the XD card somewhere amidst the electronics inside the card reader.

Solution: take the little metal key that we have to pull the entire card reader unit out, disconnect the USB cable, open up the casing and retrieve the loose card.

Manager's opinion: "NO, DON'T DO THAT, YOU'LL RUIN THE WHOLE PROGRAM!"

Manager takes a nail file, puts a bit of tape around the end and jams it into the slot to try and scrape the card out while the machine is still running. Something makes contact, the card reader short-circuits. Pop. Smoke hisses out. Windows XP 'device disconnected' sound.

Manager's opinion: "Well, that usually works..."

A few hours after the manager left, the customer came back, I performed the aformentioned disconnecting out of the now-destroyed card reader and handed her the perfectly fine XD card. She printed her pictures out of the other kiosk after being shown which slot to use and apologized profusely for the hassle.

I still can't fathom how my manager thought :siren:SHOVING A CHUNK OF METAL INTO A RUNNING COMPUTER:siren: was preferable to safely shutting off and extracting the compromised piece of hardware. I'll probably get in trouble for doing that, but at least said customer promised to leave a nice comment for me on our online survey.

Feedback Agency fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 25, 2014

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
A trip to an ultramodern offshore semisubmersible oilrig came in! I jump on a helicopter next Friday, spend the weekend unplugging Windows XP computers and plugging in Windows 7 computers, and fly back in on Monday! It's like printing money :whatup:

I've been on the oilrigs before when they were docked for maintenance, but it's my first time on one that's in production out on the sea, and my first helicopter ride ever :woop:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

A trip to an ultramodern offshore semisubmersible oilrig came in! I jump on a helicopter next Friday, spend the weekend unplugging Windows XP computers and plugging in Windows 7 computers, and fly back in on Monday! It's like printing money :whatup:

I've been on the oilrigs before when they were docked for maintenance, but it's my first time on one that's in production out on the sea, and my first helicopter ride ever :woop:

1: Enjoy the food.
2: Remember to bring a book.
3: Try not to vomit as much as I do on helicopters. :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

EuphrosyneD posted:

The 1022n has a nasty habit of crashing and burning (and taking the entire Windows printer subsystem with it) when fed PDF files or other file formats.

Usually I've only ever seen it happen with PDFs.

This, basically, if you don't set the PDF application to "print as image" it just randomly blows up the print spooler.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

loving Microsoft support. Opened (and paid for) a ticket for Unified Messaging "Sean Connery Mode". Noted my availability in the ticket, and that I preferred to be contacted by e-mail. After two weeks and three after-hours phone calls (that I didn't answer), he finally calls me for the "intro call".

:haw: "Ok just e-mail me a quick two-sentence summary of the issue with as much detail as you can."
:confused: "I have all the details in the ticket, as well as a link to the TechNet thread I posted in, with even more detail."
:haw: "Oh we never check the tickets or the forums."

Don't worry Dudeguy, this is the beginning of your fun. Just wait until it gets to 2 or 3 more reps who start from scratch, it stagnates, and then they say you're using up too much time (when it's their fault).

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Crowley posted:

3: Try not to vomit as much as I do on helicopters. :(

This x 100000000. gently caress flying (in anything small.) I can do boats, I can do big planes, I can do rides...but small airplanes and helicopters have me spewing within 10 minutes. Bring plenty of barf-bags.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'

evobatman posted:

Did you have to go through HUET training for that?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Big Spoon posted:

Did you have to go through HUET training for that?

I recall him earlier having to go through the full barrage of fire suppression, HUET, and evac proceedure training

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I did HUET training and sea survival as a team building excercise and it was actually really fun.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
update to the spam filter drama. It looks like the domain was setup under my companies spam filter account and not a stand alone for the client. Only two people have access to it, they wont give me access to the account so I can whitelist the domains I need to and the people who have access are in a position that I cannot assign tickets to them.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

blackswordca posted:

update to the spam filter drama. It looks like the domain was setup under my companies spam filter account and not a stand alone for the client. Only two people have access to it, they wont give me access to the account so I can whitelist the domains I need to and the people who have access are in a position that I cannot assign tickets to them.

Email them and CC the client. Time to play hot potato.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

thelightguy posted:

Email them and CC the client. Time to play hot potato.

Account lead wants to have a go first.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Please pray for me, goons. I'm one of two candidates up for either one or two positions at a university helpdesk that would be a salary bump, closer to home, and potentially a permanent job. This would set me on track to actually have a career, and not a series of lovely contract jobs.

:yotj:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Feedback Agency posted:

I work retail. Our photo kiosks are Dell Windows XP machines running Fujifilm software, with a nice touch-screen monitor, in a case that features a receipt printer and a multi-slot memory card reader mounted on the front of the case. Each slot is individually labeled with the name of the card that goes in said slot, and the helpful voice guide tells you exactly what card you have, and where to put that card.

One of these photo kiosks became unusable today. Cause: a customer had mashed their XD card into the SDHC slot, forcing it in all the way despite them being comfortably seated only halfway into the machine. They had actually managed to push the internal cover out and lose the XD card somewhere amidst the electronics inside the card reader.

Solution: take the little metal key that we have to pull the entire card reader unit out, disconnect the USB cable, open up the casing and retrieve the loose card.

Manager's opinion: "NO, DON'T DO THAT, YOU'LL RUIN THE WHOLE PROGRAM!"

Manager takes a nail file, puts a bit of tape around the end and jams it into the slot to try and scrape the card out while the machine is still running. Something makes contact, the card reader short-circuits. Pop. Smoke hisses out. Windows XP 'device disconnected' sound.

Manager's opinion: "Well, that usually works..."

A few hours after the manager left, the customer came back, I performed the aformentioned disconnecting out of the now-destroyed card reader and handed her the perfectly fine XD card. She printed her pictures out of the other kiosk after being shown which slot to use and apologized profusely for the hassle.

I still can't fathom how my manager thought :siren:SHOVING A CHUNK OF METAL INTO A RUNNING COMPUTER:siren: was preferable to safely shutting off and extracting the compromised piece of hardware. I'll probably get in trouble for doing that, but at least said customer promised to leave a nice comment for me on our online survey.

Where's that video of the guy prying the heatsink off with a claw hammer?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Where's that video of the guy prying the heatsink off with a claw hammer?

One of the owners of the owners of the company I work at installed new hardware on a customers desktop by drilling several holes into its motherboard.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've done that. The new motherboard needs to go in this 15 year old case? Get me the Dremel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wouldn't it be easier/less risky to just drill new standoff holes into the case?

• Locked thread