Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Can someone explain the reference in the thread title?

Then explain why they went with that and not "HURRAH FOR SKELETON"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

NmareBfly posted:

One note about them that isn't obvious: They respawn EVERYTHING including items on corpses (not plot items like keys and such) and, most importantly, the boss. You can get as many boss souls as you want in a single play through.

They make things a lot harder over time, don't they?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DoctorStrangelove posted:

He's an amazing merchant in the Wharf. Go see for yourself, the way down is in the Tower of Fire itself.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Go explore No Man's Wharf (it's past Heide's).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How come nobody is invading? I haven't been invaded a single time since I started playing. Seeing tons of summon signs but nobody is trying to kill me which is a surprise.

VVV No, but I found a cracked red eye orb :colbert:

wish I could find more.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Internet Kraken posted:

How come nobody is invading? I haven't been invaded a single time since I started playing. Seeing tons of summon signs but nobody is trying to kill me which is a surprise.

Have you found the invasion covenant yet?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is there any way to get a Lizard staff besides those 2 non-respawning dudes in Hunstman's Copse?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
What's the quickest way to make myself eligible for Blue Sentinel invasions, you think? Just grab a load of red orbs and murder people?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

Since this thread moves fast, I'll repost this in case anyone missed it:

:siren: :siren: PC TWEAKS COMING OUT FROM THE GUY WHO MADE DSfix :siren: :siren:

(( also have a nVidia card ))

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/21/dark-souls-2-pc-tweaking-guide/screenshot_2014-04-10_21-52-02/

Might want to hold off on that for a week or so until Valve/From Software comes out and says whether VAC is in and if DSFix/SweetFX will trigger it.

poptart_fairy posted:

What's the quickest way to make myself eligible for Blue Sentinel invasions, you think? Just grab a load of red orbs and murder people?

Nobody ever gets invaded by Blue Sentinels, at least not on the 360 version. It's pretty much rarer than poo poo.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Artificer posted:

They make things a lot harder over time, don't they?

Well, yeah. Every time you use one the enemies all show up one NG+ level higher. So you can use a ton on a zone but thing'sll be getting pretty hairy pretty fast.

Personally, I think mobs despawning is a lot less of a problem than some people think. If anything, it gives me a sense that I'm accomplishing something even if I'm dying to a boss over and over. If you need to grind you can always go somewhere else. The only real issue is if you're trying to get a specific drop and run out of enemies, which stinks.

Oh, and if you use one then beat the game and start a real NG+, the enemies will still have the additional levels. IE, if you used one ascetic and start a NG+ the enemies in that zone will be at NG++ level.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So can anyone quickly give a tip on how to use the shield bash? When I hit it it doesn't do anything to monsters, so I tried to time it properly, but I just end up dying. I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble with this, I watched a video and that guy was able to pull it off on every attack to take down monsters.

I'm also wondering how you refill your health bar all the way after you've died a bunch of times, I was down to about half my hp left and decided to start a new character because I was having a lot of trouble.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I figured the mob despawning thing wasn't to prevent grinding but just to make it feel like your making progress even when you keep dieing. Its nice to not have to deal with the same two assholes sitting next to a bonfire everytime I go to explore a level. Its pretty cool!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Reason posted:

So can anyone quickly give a tip on how to use the shield bash? When I hit it it doesn't do anything to monsters, so I tried to time it properly, but I just end up dying. I feel like I'm having a lot of trouble with this, I watched a video and that guy was able to pull it off on every attack to take down monsters.

I'm also wondering how you refill your health bar all the way after you've died a bunch of times, I was down to about half my hp left and decided to start a new character because I was having a lot of trouble.

You need to hit the weapon that's just about to strike you in mid-swing.

Ram an effigy in your chest or warm up your white soapstone. If you leave your host's world in victory (time runs out/boss dies), your hollowing is undone.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

wish I could find more.

Wait until you make it to the Belfry. There are so many invasions I can barely get to the boss most of the time.

edit: The netcode is so bad though that it's just getting tedious. Half the people I fight don't even have attack animations when they hit me.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 25, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I came back to the Stone Man Group after beating the first two bosses, and man it feels good to crush these guy after I spent so much time dieing to them at the start of the game.

But...the boss...what the gently caress is he doing here goddammit :cripes:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What, you didn't think the cathedral looked a LITTLE too familiar?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Pwnstar posted:

Is there any way to get a Lizard staff besides those 2 non-respawning dudes in Hunstman's Copse?

The area across the super long rope bridge in Huntsman's Copse has two (use a bone to go back to the bonfire after killing both, then you can run back and kill them again). You can hear this bridge and look up to see it just outside one of the bonfires in the Copse.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

So I came back to the Stone Man Group after beating the first two bosses, and man it feels good to crush these guy after I spent so much time dieing to them at the start of the game.

But...the boss...what the gently caress is he doing here goddammit :cripes:

Hey now it could be worse. He could have brought his friend. Why didn't he bring his friend, From. I miss him already.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

havenwaters posted:

Hey now it could be worse. He could have brought his friend. Why didn't he bring his friend, From. I miss him already.

Funny thing is I thought to myself hm this Dragonrider sure is a fat rear end in a top hat, at least he's not as bad as Smough though. Then I get summoned to another world and surprise here's Pikachu chilling in the church, waiting to impale you on his spear just like in the good old days :japan:.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

No one's invading because it's really hard to get a lot of cracked orbs in ng unless you edit them in (well, not hard, but very time consuming no matter how you go about it).

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.

Kanos posted:

Shield raise delay is an intentional thing you have to budget stats for in DS2...

This is true about ADP but there is definitely a delay on mouse clicks. I assume it's to allow the double click binds time to execute (seriously what the gently caress, From?) You can test this yourself by inputting a click attack and and the using a keystroke for a different attack right after and see which one comes out first. This is also why some people have found it difficult to shield break/jump attack. So since this is pretty odd for a PC game I'm just chalking it up to Japan doesn't know PC games.

AutoHotKey was mentioned earlier as a work around but I have set up some keybinds to get this semi-decent without a controller. This is also assuming you don't just use AHK to fix it like Dexters Secret mentioned.

First unbind everything from the mouse. The only one I keep is left click for lock-on. You can add whatever else you want but remember that everything but the mouse wheel has a short delay.

Anything with a conflict I re-bound to a NUMPAD key since I don't know how to actually unbind commands. I'm using ESDF movement but you could figure out how to shift it around for WASD.

Light Right = R
Strong Right = T
Light Left (shield) = Shift
Strong Left (parry) = Z
Dash/Dodge = Space
Jump = V
Auto-walk = LAlt
Use item = Q
Interact = G
Two-Hand = W
Equipment Switches = 1-4

The menu binds aren't super important with mouse clicks being available but Confirm is shared with Interact (G) so it can be bound to that as well. Same thing with Function 1(toggling) and Use Item(Q). I recommend sharing these keys so you can quickly dismiss loot windows and dialogue boxes.

The cameras a tricky part since you need it to switch targets. I've re-bound left and right to X and C respectively but you have to keep this in mind if you actually want to move the camera in places like Character Creation since the mouse will not work. These are the binds I would most likely use AHK for to pin to my mouse wheel or side buttons.

Fake Edit: Looks like I'm sorta beaten by reddit? :(
Real Edit: Need coffee.

zipzilchzero fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 25, 2014

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So who else got This Is Dark Souls by forgetting to rebind their jump command? :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

poptart_fairy posted:

So who else got This Is Dark Souls by forgetting to rebind their jump command? :v:

Might want to rebind it back to L3. There are some jumps that are really hard to make unless you leave it as L3.

Also my first death on the PC was to the old dragonslayer. (heide tower of flame/cathedral of blue boss)

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
Okay, this probably sound like a stupid question, but how exactly can i do a shield break on an 360 Controller.

I know you have to push the left stick forward and press R1, but i can't do it reliable. I need 2 or 3 tries before I can do one.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Are there any ports to forward? 90% of attempted summons fail for me. Nothing listed in the support thread on Steam.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Through a combination of GMG's discount code, Playfire credit and poor spending habits, I've just purchased Dark Souls 2 without having played the first one. This is going to be a rough weekend, isn't it?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
^^^You won't die much more then if you had played DaS1 to begin with. They're similar but still two different beasts^^^

Where the hell do you go after the first boss? I went towards the right before the area where you fight the Pursuer. That leads to all the Koopas and poo poo. But apparently that's a dead end.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Carecat posted:

Are there any ports to forward? 90% of attempted summons fail for me. Nothing listed in the support thread on Steam.

Tons of people playing and getting those summons before you. Keep trying.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

eliotlucas posted:

This is going to be a rough weekend, isn't it?

You're not the only one. I'm with you in spirit.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice

poptart_fairy posted:

My first death on the PC version was to the loving spear knight outside the Cardinal Tower shortcut. So I slaughtered him to extinction as soon as I could.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Keep trying to get my estus back using the white soapstone, keep seeing people run into the boss and instantly die :lol:

Stringbean posted:

Where the hell do you go after the first boss? I went towards the right before the area where you fight the Pursuer. That leads to all the Koopas and poo poo. But apparently that's a dead end.

You have two options as far as I know;

-Go back down the ladder near the bonfire and head to the left, then right on the balcony. There's a door you can open which leads to another...challenge.
-You can go back to Majula and head to the Stone Man Group, if you feel like you can handle them now.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stringbean posted:

There's a door you can unlock out in the section facing the sea with the huge broken sword stuck in the ground. Also, you can go back to Majula and go down the stairs sort of opposite the entrance to the Forest of Giants.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

eliotlucas posted:

Through a combination of GMG's discount code, Playfire credit and poor spending habits, I've just purchased Dark Souls 2 without having played the first one. This is going to be a rough weekend, isn't it?

As much as you probably hate to hear this, it's probably worth playing through Dark Souls 1 first. The quality of life improvements in 2 would be very difficult to let go of going back to 1, and 1 is so good that I can't imagine skipping it.

So far, I haven't seen anything in the story that builds directly off of 1, but there a bunch of little callbacks and references that you'll miss if you play 2 first.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That's horrible loving advice. You don't need to play DkS1 to enjoy this and telling someone to play thru that entire game is hogwash.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Played for a bit over two hours last night, most of which was spent dying and punching dudes to death over and over because I started as deprived and broke my only dagger. Did that for so long that areas actually started to depopulate. Feel free to laugh at me for being bad at the game.

I have a lightning sword now and things are much easier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

wish I could find more.

I've been invaded 4 times already.

Killed all of them :black101: This is so much better than DS1 on PC where everybody's a crazy SL1 pro who kills you instantly.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Nobody ever gets invaded by Blue Sentinels, at least not on the 360 version. It's pretty much rarer than poo poo.

They do, actually. Its just very few people stay in the newbie way of blue covenant, and there needs to be newbies in the guildand wearing the ring who get invaded, so it takes a few days for the social environment to kick in.

Everybody wants to go sunbro or brotherhood of blood or ratclan instead.

Try invading with cracked blue orbs?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

That's horrible loving advice. You don't need to play DkS1 to enjoy this and telling someone to play thru that entire game is hogwash.

yeah sounds like a great way to burn out on dark souls and not play ds2. this is one of those series where you should play the latest one and then if you still want more, move on to the older ones.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
A couple questions...

What should my newb level 13 Knight spend his first few thousand souls on? I've already got the silver eagle kite shield for 1500. I kept killing respawning enemies at the entrance to the forest, by the river. Now I have 3650 souls, and I think I can add another 1200 by using the soul items (soul of a nameless soldier, soul of a lost undead).

Should I increase strength? Buy the elite knight armor for 4000?

Another thing I'm wondering about: I have a Small Smooth & Silky Stone. Can I use that on the nest in the tutorial area in the same way that I used the Petrified Something?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Another thing I'm wondering about : I have a Small Smooth & Silky Stone. Can I use that on the nest in the tutorial area in the same way that I used the Petrified Something?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Reason posted:

scamtank posted:

You need to hit the weapon that's just about to strike you in mid-swing.

That's a parry, not a shield break. :colbert:

Shield bash you just do the old DS1 kick move when somebody is turtling behind a shield, and it'll make them wide open to attacks.

They HAVE to be holding up their shield, or the shield bash doesn't do anything.

If you're asking about how to do a parry though, then its all about timing the enemy swing.

And you fill up your health by doing co-op or using a human effigy. Did you play Dark Souls 1? Cause if not you should read up on how the curse works.