Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
On a slightly different note,

I have learned today that one of 7th Fleet's DDG's literally blew up their reduction gear a few nights ago. Now i'm still a bit iffy on the details, however apparently letting a Dehumidifier powered by 440 Volts sit with an "overheat" alarm for a certain amount of time carries with it the chance to cause an extreme amount of damage. I can't wait to hear more about this, because it might finally teach our watch standers how to take readings correctly and acknowledge alarms. All the same though, just to think of the crash back involving a destroyed Main Reduction Gear makes my head spin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

TrialbyStone posted:

On a slightly different note,

I have learned today that one of 7th Fleet's DDG's literally blew up their reduction gear a few nights ago. Now i'm still a bit iffy on the details, however apparently letting a Dehumidifier powered by 440 Volts sit with an "overheat" alarm for a certain amount of time carries with it the chance to cause an extreme amount of damage. I can't wait to hear more about this, because it might finally teach our watch standers how to take readings correctly and acknowledge alarms. All the same though, just to think of the crash back involving a destroyed Main Reduction Gear makes my head spin.

True. Before you bash anyone (and the results are still not in; investigators are on board and ship's company is not allowed in spaces) remember how much poo poo we are asking Sailors to shove in one sock. (I'm likely not as iffy on the facts as you are.) Bad/neglectful watchstanding is bad. If your watch standers are loving it up, I would hope it doesn't take a damaged MRG for someone in your CoC to take action.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

poopkitty posted:

True. Before you bash anyone (and the results are still not in; investigators are on board and ship's company is not allowed in spaces) remember how much poo poo we are asking Sailors to shove in one sock. (I'm likely not as iffy on the facts as you are.) Bad/neglectful watchstanding is bad. If your watch standers are loving it up, I would hope it doesn't take a damaged MRG for someone in your CoC to take action.

With the amount of backlash about to certainly come out of this, there's no need for bashing whatsoever. I literally cringed when I heard about this happening, because I work in MP and realise what a downed MRG is about to do to your workload, let alone your schedule for the next year.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

TrialbyStone posted:

With the amount of backlash about to certainly come out of this, there's no need for bashing whatsoever. I literally cringed when I heard about this happening, because I work in MP and realise what a downed MRG is about to do to your workload, let alone your schedule for the next year.

Sorry, I just feel so awful for the waterfront right now. It's hard enough here and it's just getting harder. MCPON was here yesterday with his Kool-Aid firehose.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

poopkitty posted:

Sorry, I just feel so awful for the waterfront right now. It's hard enough here and it's just getting harder. MCPON was here yesterday with his Kool-Aid firehose.

so that WAS MCPON I saw in the FFSC yesterday.. go figure.

Leaving in a week, so none of the nonsense going on bothers me anymore. Just waiting for my CO checkout, plane ticket, and NAM, and i'll be finally free of 7th Fleet.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

TrialbyStone posted:

so that WAS MCPON I saw in the FFSC yesterday.. go figure.

Leaving in a week, so none of the nonsense going on bothers me anymore. Just waiting for my CO checkout, plane ticket, and NAM, and i'll be finally free of 7th Fleet.

Yep, and he gets to do the atsugi tour tomorrow. Glad I dodged that bullet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah multiple people are going to get fired over an MRG blowing up if the investigation shows the slightest bit of negligence on the crew's part. CHENG, CO, possibly XO, and the MPA are all certainly sweating loving bullets.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

Eagerly awaiting GMT on "How to not blow up your MRG"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah multiple people are going to get fired over an MRG blowing up if the investigation shows the slightest bit of negligence on the crew's part. CHENG, CO, possibly XO, and the MPA are all certainly sweating loving bullets.

The angle I always look at this stuff is, there are probably multiple hulls that are going to see added underway time / extended deployments because of something as trivial as one dipshit blazing logs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TrialbyStone posted:

Eagerly awaiting GMT on "How to not blow up your MRG"

Unless the MRG was sexually assaulted I think we're safe.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
blowin' up a red gear sounds like a good way to get featured on the front page of navy times tho

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

krispykremessuck posted:

blowin' up a red gear sounds like a good way to get featured on the front page of navy times tho

In ManMythLegend's defense he just got there

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Snowdens Secret posted:

:yarr:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The angle I always look at this stuff is, there are probably multiple hulls that are going to see added underway time / extended deployments because of something as trivial as one dipshit blazing logs.

Oh yeah it definitely sucks for everyone else in 7th fleet because they have to pick up the slack. Just like Port Royal running aground or the Hawaiian shipyard just sucking rear end and causing Chosin's 6 month availability to turn into a year and a quarter.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Snowdens Secret posted:

This was his clever ploy to spend all his time in drydock.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just like Port Royal running aground

:smug:

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is another ship out here with a similar situation and no heads have rolled. They have been pier side for 9 months or so.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
They must have narrowed it down to a few or single people specifically responsible because a skipper better have a drat good reason his MRG broke.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

They must have narrowed it down to a few or single people specifically responsible because a skipper better have a drat good reason his MRG broke.

They found metal shavings in our MRG, and as far as I know nobody was fired over it, but I was not privy to the all the details at the time, so who knows what the actual reason for the problem was. I remember hearing rumors about some of the fastening hardware not being tempered correctly, but who knows.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That goes into the realm of mechanical failure caused by something outside of ship's crew. The saving grace for a captain's career may be whether the people that hosed his poo poo up worked for him or not. If it's the fault of ship's company, however, he's less able to deflect it to someone else.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
Yeah, on my first ship, we ended up having seawater intrusion into the MRG and metal shavings found. CO wasn't DFC'd, but he certainly ended up being transferred out of there as early as the ISIC could make it happen.

Still ended up making O-6 and retiring though, so I guess the system worked?

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

getting your flight itinerary via email is the best way to begin a weekend :woop: All fucks officially out the window.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

poopkitty posted:

MCPON was here yesterday with his Kool-Aid firehose.

Yeah, people started asking for volunteers to meet him today. I was not among them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Octopode posted:

Still ended up making O-6 and retiring though, so I guess the system worked?

Short of outright rape and murder I'm not sure what a CO can do to lose retirement. Our grounding was rather directly due to the captain's negligence (according to the investigation, not just in reality) and while I don't think they let him have full bird they definitely let him drive a desk until 20.

Rather shittily, they did not extend the same courtesy to the XO, despite him doing everything in his power to prevent the incident.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, provided the maintenance was properly documented, and it looks like it was actually done, metal shavings or seawater intrusion in the sump won't get a CoC fired. Neither will sabotage.

That said, improper use of the dehumidifier or the electrostatic precipitator by watchstanders is a whole different ball of wax. Provided it isn't proven to be sabotage, the captain, CHENG, top snipe, and possibly the XO are screwed.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

Short of outright rape and murder I'm not sure what a CO can do to lose retirement. Our grounding was rather directly due to the captain's negligence (according to the investigation, not just in reality) and while I don't think they let him have full bird they definitely let him drive a desk until 20.

Rather shittily, they did not extend the same courtesy to the XO, despite him doing everything in his power to prevent the incident.

Before his last ORSE, and after a 6-month deployment of painting, cleaning, and drilling, our CO gave us a pep talk. He basically said the only way he wouldn't make O6 was if the boat ran aground and that our ORSE score wasn't super important. Just pass.

Fart Cannon
Oct 12, 2008

College Slice
My ship had a MRG blew up a few years back, flight IIA DDG. Maiden deployment. Took us over a year to get it replaced. CO force retired.

edit: I hope the new incident is on that ship. Would make my life.

Fart Cannon fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 25, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Mad Dragon posted:

Before his last ORSE, and after a 6-month deployment of painting, cleaning, and drilling, our CO gave us a pep talk. He basically said the only way he wouldn't make O6 was if the boat ran aground and that our ORSE score wasn't super important. Just pass.

I'm sure the eng screening for XO probably felt differently.

That being said, it's kind of an open secret that the first ORSE a new captain gets will be a ballbuster, while his last one will be a pushover. Disregard that the captain himself is almost completely uninvolved with any part of the inspection. It's that same "push the evals so we can show continuous improvement" mentality reaching at least to the O-6 level.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

As an aside, hooooooooly shiiiiiiit is the Command Qualification Exam loving retarded. Rote memorization ok 10k+ pages of random poo poo is just awful. It doesn't help that it's 99.9% useless admin gotcha's such as the ever important, "How many pounds of ice per person is a ship require to produce a day?" I can most definitely see how that would affect the outcome of a battle. lol we are a joke of a service.

LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

ManMythLegend posted:

As an aside, hooooooooly shiiiiiiit is the Command Qualification Exam loving retarded. Rote memorization ok 10k+ pages of random poo poo is just awful. It doesn't help that it's 99.9% useless admin gotcha's such as the ever important, "How many pounds of ice per person is a ship require to produce a day?" I can most definitely see how that would affect the outcome of a battle. lol we are a joke of a service.

We have P-3s, were you ever in doubt of this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

The whole drat command qualification clown show they dreamedup has to got to be one of the most spectacularly retarded things big Navy has dreamed up for the officer side of the house. Luckily I was grandfathered in on the aviation side, although I'm never going to actually command anything.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I hate the military's limited duty system.

Busted my knee this month with an ACL tear (playing DODGE BALL for command PT no less), and now I'm out for six-to-nine months? Then they're going to medboard me?

9 years of service threatened by an injury I could nary avoid. poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

poo poo I want to get hurt at work and get medboarded so I can get all that sweet cash

But medboard seems a bit excessive I've seen people kept around for much worse? Who's talking about medboarding?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Christoff posted:

poo poo I want to get hurt at work and get medboarded so I can get all that sweet cash

But medboard seems a bit excessive I've seen people kept around for much worse? Who's talking about medboarding?

Given that this will be a second limited duty in my career, the command. :tinfoil:

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

9 years of service relieved by an injury I could nary avoid. poo poo yeah.

FTFY

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Not when I can expect less than 30% disability and a mark on my record that some employers would consider toxic: "This dude got out because we couldn't fix him."

I'm a little bitter here about navy medicine...

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Not when I can expect less than 30% disability and a mark on my record that some employers would consider toxic: "This dude got out because we couldn't fix him."

I'm a little bitter here about navy medicine...

After 9 years you should know by now that in the navy the shaft never stops.

Edit: Also, don't look at it as a career ender, look at is as encouragement to suckle on the government teat of the GI bill plus a lifetime supply of beer money.

Noeland fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 26, 2014

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

vulturesrow posted:

The whole drat command qualification clown show they dreamedup has to got to be one of the most spectacularly retarded things big Navy has dreamed up for the officer side of the house. Luckily I was grandfathered in on the aviation side, although I'm never going to actually command anything.

Fervently hoping this thing goes away in the next few years before I need to get anywhere near it, but I doubt it will.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Given that this will be a second limited duty in my career, the command. :tinfoil:

I seriously doubt you are going to get med boarded out for an ACL. And it's been a while since I read the MILPERSMAN articles, but I don't think your command has any say in whether or not you go to a med board. But if you do, I wouldn't worry. I know plenty of guys with way worse things than a torn ACL who stay in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You should also be able to shenanigans a torn ACL into well more than 30% disability if you so desire.

• Locked thread