Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

PirateBob posted:

A couple questions...

What should my newb level 13 Knight spend his first few thousand souls on? I've already got the silver eagle kite shield for 1500. I kept killing respawning enemies at the entrance to the forest, by the river. Now I have 3650 souls, and I think I can add another 1200 by using the soul items (soul of a nameless soldier, soul of a lost undead).

Should I increase strength? Buy the elite knight armor for 4000?

Another thing I'm wondering about : I have a Small Smooth & Silky Stone. Can I use that on the nest in the tutorial area in the same way that I used the Petrified Something?

First of all you do not need to grind.
Second of all, by the second bonfire in that area you will find a merchant with some good items to buy. Check her rightmost menu first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

PirateBob posted:

A couple questions...

What should my newb level 13 Knight spend his first few thousand souls on? I've already got the silver eagle kite shield for 1500. I kept killing respawning enemies at the entrance to the forest, by the river. Now I have 3650 souls, and I think I can add another 1200 by using the soul items (soul of a nameless soldier, soul of a lost undead).

Another thing I'm wondering about : I have a Small Smooth & Silky Stone. Can I use that on the nest in the tutorial area in the same way that I used the Petrified Something?

Level up some stats. Don't ignore adaptability since it increases agility which is important. Also yeah the small and regular sized smooth & silky stones can be dropped at the place in the tutorial to get items.

e: or yeah, go buy something off that vendor.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

ethanol posted:

yeah sounds like a great way to burn out on dark souls and not play ds2. this is one of those series where you should play the latest one and then if you still want more, move on to the older ones.

Fair enough. I guess I overestimate my tolerance for massive amounts of Dark Souls. I'm coming off fresh from a replay of one and all of the small things (fast travel from the get-go, for example) really stand out to me. I feel like it'll be difficult to go back, but to each his own.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So uh...seriously? Dragonrider is supposed to be a boss? He was literally just one of the spearmen from the Forest of the Giants castle, but with a bigger health bar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PirateBob posted:

A couple questions...

The answer is whatever you want, but you should honestly keep leveling until your levels become more expensive.

If 4000 for elite knight would cost you 4 levels, then that's not worth it. When your levels start costing 4000 each then suddenly that elite knight set doesn't seem so bad.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
It's disappointing somewhat that hatemail is not going to be a thing in this game, given how Steam messaging works. I've been a cheap dickhead Bellbro all morning!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

What's the quickest way to make myself eligible for Blue Sentinel invasions, you think? Just grab a load of red orbs and murder people?

Get some sin and move to NG+, the blue sentinel invasions will be nonstop.

e: This is true for red invasions, too. You won't get invaded much in NG but it will be an unbroken chain of invaders in NG+ for the first week or two.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 25, 2014

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Elysiume posted:

I've assisted three times on the Pursuer.
1. Killed by friendly fire ballista
2. Host died
3. Killed by friendly fire ballista
Moving on...

That is how I killed the Pursuer as host. One poor phantom was distracting him by the gate and the other phantom and I manned the 2 ballista's and rained hell.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Artix posted:

So uh...seriously? Dragonrider is supposed to be a boss? He was literally just one of the spearmen from the Forest of the Giants castle, but with a bigger health bar.

I think the idea is that he'd be hard if you didn't flip all those switches to enlarge the arena.

Though there's an even easier way to beat him... Stand at the entrance to the circle in his arena, wait for him to walk six steps towards you, and juke him to your right. If you do it right, he'll do a thrusting attack and fall off the edge. VICTORY ACHIEVED

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Titchy Gren sounds like Moriarty.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Suitaru posted:

I think the idea is that he'd be hard if you didn't flip all those switches to enlarge the arena.

He's actually easier if you don't, because his first attack sends him careening off the edge to his death, it's the speedrun strategy.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I've been human for most of my Dark Souls 2 experience and I have yet to be invaded, and I've had my Blue Knight ring on and I've yet to be chucked into a situation where can I help someone out.

Still bro-ing it up for free humanity, repair and heal is the best God drat addition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^ Some people don't even find the hidden cracked red eye orbs, or don't want to try invasion yet. Lots of people on PC right now so those that are invading, its a crap shoot.

Are you to huntsman's copse yet? That's when invasions start increasing.

Dreggon posted:

Titchy Gren sounds like Moriarty.

If Moriarty and Pyramid Head had a creepy kid.

You're boooooring, come back when you've had some fun :)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

First of all you do not need to grind.
Second of all, by the second bonfire in that area you will find a merchant with some good items to buy. Check her rightmost menu first.

You mean the cat in the house in Majula :confused:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This thread- 1200 posts in 12 hours, awesome. I'm interested to see the feedback from the newer players :)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The name censoring combined with seeing character names instead of player names is funny, I've seen so many "K***ht Solaire"s :laugh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

PirateBob posted:

You mean the cat in the house in Majula :confused:

He's talking about the undead witch lady I think, which is right next to cardinal tower, 2nd bonfire of forest of fallen giants.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

A.C. posted:

Get some sin and move to NG+, the blue sentinel invasions will be nonstop.

e: This is true for red invasions, too. You won't get invaded much in NG but it will be an unbroken chain of invaders in NG+ for the first week or two.

Ah, cool. I'll dash up to the end game and murder everyone then. Gotta give the Bluebros something to do!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A.C. posted:

The name censoring combined with seeing character names instead of player names is funny, I've seen so many "K***ht Solaire"s :laugh:

poo poo there goes my "hitler has invaded your world" shtick

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Also the thread titles own and I am looking forward to this thread discovering the magic that is Gavlan

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

For those of you needing some help early on, Estus Flask Shard Locations:

You get one from Emerald Herald

Attack the rock on the well in Majula

Upstairs from cardinal tower, the door is locked but you can smash it open! Treasure inside!

Find a dude hidden in a cave after the cardinal tower, he gives you a key to the mansion

Also there's a really useful ring for newbies, There's a chest towards the end of the left path of Heide's tower which reduces the penalty of being cursed/dead by half! So at worst you're at 75% hp, not 50% hp.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Suitaru posted:

Also the thread titles own and I am looking forward to this thread discovering the magic that is Gavlan

"What the hell is that noise?"

5 minutes later

"..."

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

poptart_fairy posted:

So who else got This Is Dark Souls by forgetting to rebind their jump command? :v:

Yup, died in the tutorial zone trying to make the jump:saddowns:.

And what was up with that spot where you kicked a tree down, jumped into the hole and get shot in the back by the archer. Was there a target spot to land in, softening your fall?

Drakes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Drakes posted:

And what was up with that spot where you kicked a tree down, jumped into the hole and get shot in the back by the archer. Was there a target spot to land in, softening your fall?

I think you just need enough HP to make it, it doesn't hurt super bad.

But if you're like me and you started swordsman with only like 5 vigor, then that fall was rough as gently caress.

You can always go back when you're level 200 and you have stupid amounts of health and armor and poo poo.

VVV Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the one we're talking about you can only come back through the other path once you've knocked the tree down.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 25, 2014

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That's a classic dark souls trap because you can walk down there via another path

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Equipment breaking during sunbroing is somewhat annoying.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Equipment breaking during sunbroing is somewhat annoying.

You should have more than one weapon.

If you forget to rest at the bonfire beetween summons though, that does kinda suck. It should just automatically refill your durability and heal you after a successful co-op.

You could always buy some repair powder as an insurance policy.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I'm aiming to get 30 Strength and 20 Dex and then pump the rest of my poo poo into Endurance (sweet green bar) and the stat that gives you more iframes. Does that sound good? I've kept on top of Estus upgrades and I'm wearing some hefty ballin' armour.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

I think you just need enough HP to make it, it doesn't hurt super bad.

But if you're like me and you started swordsman with only like 5 vigor, then that fall was rough as gently caress.

Worth noting: Vigor does not affect fall damage, fall damage is a percentage of your maximum non-hollowed HP. Being human makes falls more survivable, other than that removing equip weight and equipping certain fall-reducing items will make them more survivable.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As an explorer should I focus on getting my strength up to use, well, anything? I can two-hand this broadsword I found for now but I'd really like a shield and I'm too noodly to lift one. Or am I better off just going whole hog dexterity and adaptability?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Yeah I started with deprived since I like moulding my character with scraps I find and falling down that pit hit me hard.

Had pretty goofy moments early on when my dagger broke and it was my only equip able weapon.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Took a few hours but I finally farmed it all. Man it looks good on PC.

:getin:

(Too had I have no vit to wear it :cripes:)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I was having a really hard time getting the ring of binding, I was so depressed by this game all day from how much I was dying I was certain I'd never get that ring today, but man, the second I saw that summoning sign pop up my eyes lit up like crazy and there was much jolly cooperation to be had, me and my teammate SCYTHED through those sentinels, god the ring of binding and a shitload of souls. :black101:

that was beyond awesome. I loving love this game.

two things:-

I now have 3600 souls, I'm debating wether to invest them in leveling up, or actually getting new gear, I already leveled up once before (upgraded Vigor ADP and endurance) but I'm still in the starting gear (and DLC stuff) I had before, I have the option of maybe buying a falconers helmet/armor combo or a sword from the blacksmith, or is it best just to hold off buying gear since like in diablo you'll just find better stuff either along the way?

I still have not reached the first boss, the furthest I got so far is getting the ring of binding and right at (but not after) Falcon Drop Knight

Also, I really really am dying to play this game with a controller, but I can control the camera with the right stick like I want to, I keep trying to map the thing on Xinput but it would not change into what I need in the game. it really sucks that this game doesnt have support to change button maps. is there anything I can do to fix this? pad is a Logitech that's basically shaped like a PS2.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 25, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is the average level cap in this game higher than in Dark Souls? I'm getting a lot of equipment that requires a relatively high amount of stats to use for this early in the game, which is making me think I should be a higher level. As a benchmark I'm level 36 and just found No Man's Wharf.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

As an explorer should I focus on getting my strength up to use, well, anything? I can two-hand this broadsword I found for now but I'd really like a shield and I'm too noodly to lift one. Or am I better off just going whole hog dexterity and adaptability?

Personally I wouldn't bother with the explorer class, you get some terrible beginning stats and you'll most likely burn through what little stuff you get from the beginning of the game fairly quickly.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the average level cap in this game higher than in Dark Souls? I'm getting a lot of equipment that requires a relatively high amount of stats to use for this early in the game, which is making me think I should be a higher level. As a benchmark I'm level 36 and just found No Man's Wharf.

Absolutely higher. There is no "set level" for PVP as per the DS1. Generally, just level has high as you can, as fast as you can. Levels are cheaper than DS1 as well :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

Personally I wouldn't bother with the explorer class, you get some terrible beginning stats and you'll most likely burn through what little stuff you get from the beginning of the game fairly quickly.

I took it on the advice it was "Basically the deprived class but with some bonus starting goodies". I'm fine with that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

As an explorer dark souls player should I focus on getting my strength up to use, well, anything? I can two-hand this broadsword I found for now but I'd really like a shield and I'm too noodly to lift one. Or am I better off just going whole hog dexterity and adaptability?

Level Strength and Dex so you can use all weapons and try them all out and see what you like best.

Then when you have a favorite weapon you can respect to min/max that weapon.

Don't prematurely min/max, you can respec at least 3 times per NG!

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

Uh do I have to jump over to that area with the item or is there a hidden path somewhere?
This one's near the Forest of Giants bonfire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BattleRobit posted:

Uh do I have to jump over to that area with the item or is there a hidden path somewhere?
This one's near the Forest of Giants bonfire

Try Jumping