Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I am in a bit of quandary regarding which LGS to go to for my pre-release, there are the usual place where the owner is a bit of a dick, but it is only £18 for the pre-release, or a new place that just opened that is been good so far but is £25 with similar prize support. Paying a little extra to remain loyal to the LGS I like the most is all well and good but I can't see beyond that $12 difference for a pre-release. Goons, what is your position on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
For similar prize support, I'd go to the place with the better staff/management/whatever even if it costs a bit more. I always prefer to give my business to places that have what I consider to be good business practices, so that they'll hopefully stay around and continue to be a place that I can go to.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Samael posted:

I am in a bit of quandary regarding which LGS to go to for my pre-release, there are the usual place where the owner is a bit of a dick, but it is only £18 for the pre-release, or a new place that just opened that is been good so far but is £25 with similar prize support. Paying a little extra to remain loyal to the LGS I like the most is all well and good but I can't see beyond that $12 difference for a pre-release. Goons, what is your position on this?

(Assuming 1£ = 1.68$ according to Google)

Stay home. You should never give your money to an rear end in a top hat business owner, but $42 for a pre-release is steep, although it depends on the prize payout.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Gynovore posted:

Stay home. You should never give your money to an rear end in a top hat business owner, but $42 for a pre-release is steep, although it depends on the prize payout.

I think it depends on MSRP really. My general metric is how much is the cost in boosters vs. the number of boosters. A booster here in Greece is 4 euros, which is about 6$ or so (maybe 5?). If a tournament offers 6 boosters, then 25 euros is very reasonable to pay, even if it comes up to about 35$.

I have no idea what a booster costs in the UK to be honest, but I feel that a similar metric would matter.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I think it depends on MSRP really. My general metric is how much is the cost in boosters vs. the number of boosters. A booster here in Greece is 4 euros, which is about 6$ or so (maybe 5?). If a tournament offers 6 boosters, then 25 euros is very reasonable to pay, even if it comes up to about 35$.

I have no idea what a booster costs in the UK to be honest, but I feel that a similar metric would matter.

Yes, using XE our boosters cost around the same as you (£3.50 each), ~$5.88 a booster, so for the boosters it would cost £20-22, so £18 is good, but £25 is quite pricey.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
If I bestow a Crystalline Nautilus onto someone's bomb monster, then hit it with a spell so that it dies, the Nautilus comes back under my own control? Or does he get a 4/4?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Veyrall posted:

If I bestow a Crystalline Nautilus onto someone's bomb monster, then hit it with a spell so that it dies, the Nautilus comes back under my own control? Or does he get a 4/4?

It returns under your control.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Samael posted:

Yes, using XE our boosters cost around the same as you (£3.50 each), ~$5.88 a booster, so for the boosters it would cost £20-22, so £18 is good, but £25 is quite pricey.

It's £3-5 more, so it's not an obscene amount. I'd say go to support the better store, if you think that it's worth the extra bit of money. You're more familiar with them than we are I presume. :v:

Veyrall posted:

You never lose control of Crystalline Nautilus (or any other Aura on an opponent's permanents), so you keep it, unless there's something I'm missing.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
So apparently this is a real interaction: if you cast Gift of Immortality on your Bearer of the Heavens and it dies, you get two triggers at the next end step. If you stack them so that the Gift resolves first, then the Bearer trigger blows up the world that now includes itself with Gift attached, and the whole process repeats again on your opponent's end step. Then again on your end step. And so on, every turn, forever.

Except for your Bearer, who will start the turn on your side and can attack for 10.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

So apparently this is a real interaction: if you cast Gift of Immortality on your Bearer of the Heavens and it dies, you get two triggers at the next end step. If you stack them so that the Gift resolves first, then the Bearer trigger blows up the world that now includes itself with Gift attached, and the whole process repeats again on your opponent's end step. Then again on your end step. And so on, every turn, forever.

Except for your Bearer, who will start the turn on your side and can attack for 10.

You can also include tajic in the deck and he can finally be relevant, but killing bearer of the gods yourself is pretty difficult in a boros type deck. Do you plan on including black as well?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Homo for Hitler posted:

You can also include tajic in the deck and he can finally be relevant, but killing bearer of the gods yourself is pretty difficult in a boros type deck. Do you plan on including black as well?

Reprisal? :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Imagine the feelbads when a new player manages to get this combo online against a shark, and then orders the triggers in the "logical" order, e.g. gift, then bearer, and then has the stack explained to him :allears:

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Homo for Hitler posted:

My commander Tajic in my EDH deck resents your "relevant" comment. :colbert:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Samael posted:

Oh, well, yeah, duh me. That does work doesn't it. it doesn't bode well vs aggro decks but it will get the job done!

OssiansFolly posted:

My commander Tajic in my EDH deck resents your "relevant" comment. :colbert:

Sorry buddy my stupid brain only works in standard mode. He's a pretty relevant card in the edh world.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

Go where the prize support is the best or barring that the one you enjoy the atmosphere more. Talk to the owner in private about prices and explain to him the same thing you told us. Maybe the owner doesn't realize that some people might be going to a competitor that is inferior in social ways but their wallet tells them they still have to go there.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Do they print theros packs in greek?

Because that's flavorful as gently caress

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

Do they print theros packs in greek?

Because that's flavorful as gently caress

They do not, nor did we get a repeat of the Questing Phelddagrif promo thing. It is a terrible terrible shame.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

£25 is about average for a single event buy in, most of my LGSes offer a discount for doing multiple pre releases.

Support the good store, £25 for a days entertainment ain't bad.

e; phone posting. fix typos. me spel gud.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Korak posted:

Go where the prize support is the best or barring that the one you enjoy the atmosphere more. Talk to the owner in private about prices and explain to him the same thing you told us. Maybe the owner doesn't realize that some people might be going to a competitor that is inferior in social ways but their wallet tells them they still have to go there.

I go for the players personally...prizes where I am are fairly regular, but the people at my usual place (Immortals in Rocky River) typically has a more clean cut and, I dare say, showered group of individuals. I don't have to worry about poor personal hygiene and/or awkward social mannerisms.

If you can find a place that doesn't make you feel uncomfortable it may be worth a little more up front cost...

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Serperoth posted:

They do not, nor did we get a repeat of the Questing Phelddagrif promo thing. It is a terrible terrible shame.

I have one, just having to happen upon it when someone gave me a binder (they didn't play anymore and heard I still did).

I always forget I have it until someone who has only played for a couple of years goes, 'WHOOOA! What language is THAT?!'

It's pretty sweet, maaaaan.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

En Fuego posted:

I have one, just having to happen upon it when someone gave me a binder (they didn't play anymore and heard I still did).

I always forget I have it until someone who has only played for a couple of years goes, 'WHOOOA! What language is THAT?!'

It's pretty sweet, maaaaan.

If it was legendary, I'd have made a Commander deck around it.
I probably still can, considering how Commander is a casual format and all, but it's slightly disappointing.

Wizards reprint Greek cards please, keep the mangled Greek, and take my money, thanks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Greek's cool, but I want to see more Arabian dragons.

e: Oh. I guess it's a basilisk. I never did find out what that card was.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 25, 2014

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Fox of Stone posted:

Seconding that. The closest we got to that was Stone-Tongue Basilisk.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Samael posted:

Or celestial flare, divine verdict, etc

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fox of Stone posted:

Large block, dragon themed, toss all the dragons in from various mythologies (Asian wingless dragons, Greek lawmakers and/or actual dragons, etc)

No CMC under 3-4, worst Limited environment ever, best selling set ever. :v:

I'd be more than 100% ok with an Arabian-themed block.

EDIT: Speaking of blocks:

Mark Rosewater's Tumblr posted:

person who asked the question posted:

Will the block after M15 be bottom up or top down design?
It’s a bottom-up design.

Have I mentioned I'm hyped for Huey block today?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2014

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Bottom up means it's mechanics were designed first, right? I think Innistrad and Theros were Top-Down, but I get the two mixed up.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Veyrall posted:

Bottom up means it's mechanics were designed first, right? I think Innistrad and Theros were Top-Down, but I get the two mixed up.

Yeah, Theros and Innistrad were top-down, while Zendikar was bottom-up.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

How was Return to Ravnica block designed? Bottom out?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mae posted:

How was Return to Ravnica block designed? Bottom out?

Bottom up. Ten guilds, need to think of a mechanic for each of them and then add flavor from there.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
All this talk of bottoms and tops made me think this was the LGBT thread for a moment.

The fact Huey is mechanics first is another small bit of evidence we might get fetchlands.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Korak posted:

The fact Huey is mechanics first is another small bit of evidence we might get fetchlands.

I believe it's been said that, while they really want to reprint all ten fetches, Huey won't be the block to do so. Could be wrong on that, I'm not Wizards RnD.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Serperoth posted:

I believe it's been said that, while they really want to reprint all ten fetches, Huey won't be the block to do so. Could be wrong on that, I'm not Wizards RnD.

The only things we know for sure is that for the sake of color balance and the Block Constructed format, they don't want to do ally- or enemy-only dual lands anymore, and they don't want the only duals to be in the core set. I haven't seen anything about the fetches either way, but if they did reprint them in a Standard-legal rather than Modern Masters-style way, they'd reprint all ten and they'd do it over a whole block. People like to speculate that they'll be in Huey because that's the earliest they could show up without living with the shocklands in Standard. I wouldn't really be surprised either way, though holy moly those cards need a reprint.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Serperoth posted:

MaRo hasn't said that I don't think. He's said that WotC knows they need to be reprinted and that it needs to be the right environment. Right now fetchlands in Standard wouldn't do much other than allow people to possibly play less lands and slightly more support for 3 color decks. There's no fetching for duals and that's really when the environment gets to a place they don't seem to like enabling.

edit: I should say that I don't think they're doing fetchlands this year. It's just that the fact they're building Huey from a mechanics standpoint first is one of the few things MaRo said is the only way they'd do fetchlands.

Korak fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 25, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Korak posted:

All this talk of bottoms and tops made me think this was the LGBT thread for a moment.

Honestly I'd be cool with the next set to be a power bottom

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pretty sure there was already a power bottom set: homelands.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Korak posted:

MaRo hasn't said that I don't think. He's said that WotC knows they need to be reprinted and that it needs to be the right environment. Right now fetchlands in Standard wouldn't do much other than allow people to possibly play less lands and slightly more support for 3 color decks. There's no fetching for duals and that's really when the environment gets to a place they don't seem to like enabling.

edit: I should say that I don't think they're doing fetchlands this year. It's just that the fact they're building Huey from a mechanics standpoint first is one of the few things MaRo said is the only way they'd do fetchlands.

Much like we didn't see Shockland reprints until Return to Ravnica, I would hazard a guess that we won't see Fetchlands again until a return to Zendikar and its "lands matter" theme.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I honestly am expecting the fetches to be in Huey, and the bottom up thing only adds to that. Obviously who knows but I think the fact that they have commented in favor of them being reprinted, the fact that there won't be typed duals in the format, and that fetches are probably the broadest factor affecting Modern prices right now makes it kind of a no brainer. Not only would it almost guarantee that Huey will be a HUGE seller, it will also then broaden the support for Modern and all the ancillary things that come from that. Given their stated mission of promoting Modern growth, the question is more why *wouldn't* they reprint them now?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
What lands get printed in a set have almost nothing to do with whether design started at the top or bottom. Innistrad was a top-down set that had a subtheme of allied color tribes and the enemy checklands were added by development even though they directly contradict that theme.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Without a new mechanic or a return of landfall and Grim Lavamancer fetches for the sake of fetches would be boring and terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Fox of Stone posted:

Pretty sure there was already a power bottom set: homelands.

What does that make Fallen Empires?

• Locked thread