Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

BattleRobit posted:

Uh do I have to jump over to that area with the item or is there a hidden path somewhere?
This one's near the Forest of Giants bonfire

Try Jumping

e: There's no path. The jump is doable but you have to time it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I took it on the advice it was "Basically the deprived class but with some bonus starting goodies". I'm fine with that.

Classes don't entirely matter too much (or at all) once you get higher soul level. Min/Maxing really isn't ~a thing~ in DS2 because of the way soul memory vs. soul level works.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Well poo poo, I had no idea Lockstones are limited... I already used two, one under the ballista room in the forest fort, and the other to open up the Belfry.

Did I already gently caress up?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the average level cap in this game higher than in Dark Souls? I'm getting a lot of equipment that requires a relatively high amount of stats to use for this early in the game, which is making me think I should be a higher level. As a benchmark I'm level 36 and just found No Man's Wharf.

Soul Level has absolutely no effect in DS2. A SL1 player can invade or be invaded by a SL200 player if they have similar Soul Memory, so yeah, you never stop leveling in DS2.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god pointing newbies at the FotG shortcut, explosive barrels by the wall, is absolutely hilarious. You can see the cogs turning as they put two and two together...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Join the Bell Keepers Covenant when you can, you can get a bunch of titanite chunks really easily

Edit: I'm literally getting summoned as soon as I return back from killing someone.

Piell fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

I was having a really hard time getting the ring of binding, I was so depressed by this game all day from how much I was dying I was certain I'd never get that ring today, but man, the second I saw that summoning sign pop up my eyes lit up like crazy and there was much jolly cooperation to be had, me and my teammate SCYTHED through those sentinels, god the ring of binding and a shitload of souls. :black101:

I still have not reached the first boss, the furthest I got so far is getting the ring of binding and right at (but not after) Falcon Drop Knight

You're in Heide's Tower of Flame. That's the second area. If you're new to DS, you should really go back to Majula and explore more first.

You're looking for a zone called Forest of Fallen Giants. After you complete that, then return to Heide's.

Its really good you grabbed the ring of binding though :thumbsup:

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Nope! You can get tons more later in the game, pretty easily.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why the gently caress does the PC port still use the Xbox controls as what comes up for everything? I thought they took an extra month to fix this kind of bullshit so you could actually play the game using KB+M instead of hitting random keys and hoping it works? Is there any way to change this poo poo?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

nothing to seehere posted:

Why the gently caress does the PC port still use the Xbox controls as what comes up for everything? I thought they took an extra month to fix this kind of bullshit so you could actually play the game using KB+M instead of hitting random keys and hoping it works? Is there any way to change this poo poo?

nope, from software was pretty full of poo poo on all the pc improvements. the only real one seems to be that the 60fps is solid

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Internet Kraken posted:

So is the average level cap in this game higher than in Dark Souls? I'm getting a lot of equipment that requires a relatively high amount of stats to use for this early in the game, which is making me think I should be a higher level. As a benchmark I'm level 36 and just found No Man's Wharf.

There's no level cap in dark souls so I have no loving clue what you're on about there :v:

But I tended to finish DS1 around level 90-100, where DS2 is more like 120-130, so yeah.

But feel free to go to level 200 in your first NG, nobody cares. You can totally out-level content in Dark Souls, that's how its always worked. But soul level benefits you less and less as you level up more.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Al-Saqr posted:

I was having a really hard time getting the ring of binding, I was so depressed by this game all day from how much I was dying I was certain I'd never get that ring today, but man, the second I saw that summoning sign pop up my eyes lit up like crazy and there was much jolly cooperation to be had, me and my teammate SCYTHED through those sentinels, god the ring of binding and a shitload of souls. :black101:

that was beyond awesome. I loving love this game.

two things:-

I now have 3600 souls, I'm debating wether to invest them in leveling up, or actually getting new gear, I already leveled up once before (upgraded Vigor ADP and endurance) but I'm still in the starting gear (and DLC stuff) I had before, I have the option of maybe buying a falconers helmet/armor combo or a sword from the blacksmith, or is it best just to hold off buying gear since like in diablo you'll just find better stuff either along the way?

I still have not reached the first boss, the furthest I got so far is getting the ring of binding and right at (but not after) Falcon Drop Knight

Also, I really really am dying to play this game with a controller, but I can control the camera with the right stick like I want to, I keep trying to map the thing on Xinput but it would not change into what I need in the game. it really sucks that this game doesnt have support to change button maps. is there anything I can do to fix this? pad is a Logitech that's basically shaped like a PS2.

Falconer armor is good if you have the stats to be able to fast roll with it. I would level up (if you're new at the game) str and vig/end for a while first. and adaptability. but maybe aim for vig 10 before anything else if you're dying a lot. Then aim for vig/end/adapt/str 20.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Well poo poo, I had no idea Lockstones are limited... I already used two, one under the ballista room in the forest fort, and the other to open up the Belfry.

Later in the game you will get literally INFINITY lockstones.

They're rare early game, but only early game. So no you didn't.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god pointing newbies at the FotG shortcut, explosive barrels by the wall, is absolutely hilarious. You can see the cogs turning as they put two and two together...

That shortcut is really awesome and I totally missed it my first time through DS2 on console :downs:

There's also a few very hidden bonfires through the game, as well as some... shall we say "puzzle solutions" to certain bosses?

The game seriously rewards exploration and attention to detail :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Omniblivion posted:

Absolutely higher. There is no "set level" for PVP as per the DS1. Generally, just level has high as you can, as fast as you can. Levels are cheaper than DS1 as well :)

A.C. posted:

Soul Level has absolutely no effect in DS2. A SL1 player can invade or be invaded by a SL200 player if they have similar Soul Memory, so yeah, you never stop leveling in DS2.

Ah, I had a feeling that might be the case but wanted to make sure.

Parrying in this game feels way harder than it was in Dark Souls. I could parry everything in Dark Souls, but here I'm getting hosed up constantly. The first area was okay and Pursuer was pretty easy to parry, but I can't get the hang of the Wharf at all. The "rhythm" of the enemies is all over the place. Some attacks come out right away, some take ages, and if you parry at the wrong time you eat and axe to the face.

Or maybe I'm just super rusty/super terrible :v:

VVV I am too, its just pretty jarring for me since I used to be a parry master in Dark Souls and now the game is slapping me in the face and saying "no you suck". Its mean, in a good way.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 25, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah, I had a feeling that might be the case but wanted to make sure.

Parrying in this game feels way harder than it was in Dark Souls. I could parry everything in Dark Souls, but here I'm getting hosed up constantly. The first area was okay and Pursuer was pretty easy to parry, but I can't get the hang of the Wharf at all. The "rhythm" of the enemies is all over the place. Some attacks come out right away, some take ages, and if you parry at the wrong time you eat and axe to the face.

Parry and Backstab were both pretty OP in DS1 so they're more balanced in DS2. They're still really good, but yeah, parry is much harder to pull off. I'm fine with that :colbert:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Al-Saqr posted:

that was beyond awesome. I loving love this game.

two things:-

I now have 3600 souls, I'm debating wether to invest them in leveling up, or actually getting new gear, I already leveled up once before (upgraded Vigor ADP and endurance) but I'm still in the starting gear (and DLC stuff) I had before, I have the option of maybe buying a falconers helmet/armor combo or a sword from the blacksmith, or is it best just to hold off buying gear since like in diablo you'll just find better stuff either along the way?

Also, I really really am dying to play this game with a controller, but I can control the camera with the right stick like I want to, I keep trying to map the thing on Xinput but it would not change into what I need in the game. it really sucks that this game doesnt have support to change button maps. is there anything I can do to fix this? pad is a Logitech that's basically shaped like a PS2.

Level. Equipment isn't really going to make a massive difference.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Nah, they lowered the parry window too. It's just harder to pull off in this game

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh my loving god.

I spent like 20 seconds looking at my characters feet wondering why they were black and slimy. Is it a texture glitch? What the hell is going on?

Then I get hit by a flaming arrow and realize I'm covered in oil, after I explode in a horribly fiery mess.

I love this game.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I love how I can mix and match different types of armours together and make it kind of work. This game. :allears:

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So I feel like I've just hit a brick wall. Koopas just royally gently caress me, so completely that I just don't really know what to do. Taking even one is a significant challenge and they're throwing 2 at me minimum every single time, and it seems constant that they'll swing, and a hit that I dodged before now isn't dodged despite me dodging at literally the exact same moment in the animation.

It's been 3 hours and I am honestly pretty close to saying "gently caress this poo poo", and I say that as someone who beat DS1 upon first playing it within 2 weeks.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Spudd posted:

I love how I can mix and match different types of armours together and make it kind of work. This game. :allears:

Fashion Souls is the only way to play this game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

quaunaut posted:

So I feel like I've just hit a brick wall. Koopas just royally gently caress me, so completely that I just don't really know what to do. Taking even one is a significant challenge and they're throwing 2 at me minimum every single time, and it seems constant that they'll swing, and a hit that I dodged before now isn't dodged despite me dodging at literally the exact same moment in the animation.

It's been 3 hours and I am honestly pretty close to saying "gently caress this poo poo", and I say that as someone who beat DS1 upon first playing it within 2 weeks.

You could go check out that other place past the sweet shalaquor's house the cat. It's got a tower of flame and some big slow armored guys.

e: oh double post. whoops.

Also if you're running into multiple turtles in the forest of the giants you're going down an optional path. Come back later.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

quaunaut posted:

Where are you even?

Because there's really only one turtle knight in the Forest that you have to get past in order to beat the bosses, and he's next to a bunch of exploding barrels and dudes throwing firebombs, so he tends to deal with himself.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Anyone have any luck at all using their Xbone gamepad? I've absolutely no idea why an official driver isn't available yet, the closest I've found is a Youtube guy that's trying to make a workaround, but the control is recognised at all by the game :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bCEK71UuW4 - Workaround driver (Can't get it to work with DS2)

zipzilchzero
Jan 1, 2006
At least I can promise nothing.
Stupid AHK question.

How do I make the mouse click and hold for a shield without using the toggle? I can google information on the reverse but not this. All of the scripts so far only seem to simulate the entire down-up keystroke.

Lets say I want RButton to function just like 'X' where holding RButton will hold 'X' until released.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
This has probably been posted, but how does the small white soapstone work? When do you get sent back to your world with humanity etc?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
What the hell? I don't know what either of you are talking about. I've gone in every other direction I can think of, what other path?

The turtle with the firebombing dudes just led to that big sword you walk on where I picked up the thing, and the Cyclops last of the giants guy. What other path is there?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I moused over a few spoilers, so not sure what's up, but with Ornstein and the Cathedral, are we in what's left of Anor Londo? Because if so that's loving awesome.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

This has probably been posted, but how does the small white soapstone work? When do you get sent back to your world with humanity etc?

Gain roughly 7000 souls or wait around for like five minutes.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like I'm never going to get past the Belfry Gargoyles boss fight.

The area is already incredibly active, though, if you're feeling like pvp!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

quaunaut posted:

What the hell? I don't know what either of you are talking about. I've gone in every other direction I can think of, what other path?

The turtle with the firebombing dudes just led to that big sword you walk on where I picked up the thing, and the Cyclops last of the giants guy. What other path is there?

After you kill the last giant, first boss in the forest, you get a key that opens the door behind the single turtle in that area with the big sword. That door leads to another boss in the forest.

There also is a long tunnel in Majula that leads to a small sewer with gates you can open. That area takes you to Heide's Tower of Flame. You're supposed to go there after beating boss 2 in the forest of the giants.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

quaunaut posted:

You missed a path out of Majula into a totally different era, and there's a locked door from the big sword bit that leads to the next boss.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

quaunaut posted:

They have three attacks;
1) Raise their hammer and slam it down
Just move in and get a hit or two after the swing. It has a shockwave effect that makes you move slowly for a while after the swing, but you can still easily get a hit off and roll backwards
2) Raise their hammer and run at you
Same as above except harder to avoid, I just run away when they do this until they stop chasing
3) Two swings, no shockwave effect
Go in and get a hit or two afterwards.

As mentioned there's only one that you 'have' to fight in Forest of the Giants and there's a shortcut right after him.

e: If you already killed Last Giant, you can avoid that one turtle knight to get to the next boss there, just go backwards through the Last Giant shortcut :)

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Well thank God. If I've gotta fight 2 turtles again for any reason, I loving quit. One of them is example enough of "how to not design a Dark Souls enemy"(Hi 4-swing move with literally zero windup time, and turning on a fast pivot despite obviously being too slow to!), two is "Look, we have no loving idea how to actually make combat difficult, so we're just gonna make it overwhelming."

A.C. posted:

They have three attacks;
1) Raise their hammer and slam it down
Just move in and get a hit or two after the swing. It has a shockwave effect that makes you move slowly for a while after the swing, but you can still easily get a hit off and roll backwards
2) Raise their hammer and run at you
Same as above except harder to avoid, I just run away when they do this until they stop chasing
3) Two swings, no shockwave effect
Go in and get a hit or two afterwards.

None of these strategies work at all, period, when there are two of them. And you're missing their 4th attack, where there's zero windup and they swing 4 times. USUALLY they only use it once you're already downed and about to stand back up, but sometimes they just use it and anything other than not-being-in-their-front-180 means you're getting hit, guaranteed.

It creates a big enough "Get hosed" zone that if there are two of them, the other is guaranteed to have you absolutely trapped.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 25, 2014

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

quaunaut posted:

Well thank God. If I've gotta fight 2 turtles again for any reason, I loving quit. One of them is example enough of "how to not design a Dark Souls enemy"(Hi 4-swing move with literally zero windup time, and turning on a fast pivot despite obviously being too slow to!), two is "Look, we have no loving idea how to actually make combat difficult, so we're just gonna make it overwhelming."

Dark Souls 2 is all about learning how to deal with multiple enemies. It is why you can sprint away and around enemies while still being locked on

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Tip for all new players: DS2 has much more accurate hit recognition in regards to the shape of the weapon. For instance, if you hit an enemy with the tip(blade) of your halberd, you'll do full damage. If you hit it with the shaft, then it does significantly less damage.

The same mechanics work on you from NPCs too.

Another pro tip: Roll towards the attack, not away from it.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Try ranged battle?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

havenwaters posted:

Dark Souls 2 is all about learning how to deal with multiple enemies. It is why you can sprint away and around enemies while still being locked on

Then this is just bad game design. If you're designing a single player game around the MMO concept of "Pull stacked enemies away from one another and hope to leash one of them", you're literally a bad game designer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I'm stuck heelp

Killed sinner boss, unstatufied a pyromancy mage instead of the statue in front of the level and am out of that item;
the only ways to go somewhere now are the hidden wharf or w.e and I explored that completely I think and didn't find anything except the mage NPC and the blue cathedral where there's nothing to do except the npc who doesn't talk to me. I also talked to the miracle lady.