Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Anybody who pre-ordered off the Namco-Bandai store, have you received your copy yet?

Do you know how to check the shipping status? I am an idiot and can't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

quaunaut posted:

Then this is just bad game design. If you're designing a single player game around the MMO concept of "Pull stacked enemies away from one another and hope to leash one of them", you're literally a bad game designer.

They're going for fight them both, avoid the one while killing the other.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

quaunaut posted:

None of these strategies work at all, period, when there are two of them. And you're missing their 4th attack, where there's zero windup and they swing 4 times. USUALLY they only use it once you're already downed and about to stand back up, but sometimes they just use it and anything other than not-being-in-their-front-180 means you're getting hit, guaranteed.

It creates a big enough "Get hosed" zone that if there are two of them, the other is guaranteed to have you absolutely trapped.

There's only one place in the game that I can think of where you fight two of them at once and it's an optional area in Forest of the Giants with no real treasure beyond a respawning Seed of the Giant Tree or whatever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'm stuck heelp

Killed sinner boss, unstatufied a pyromancy mage instead of the statue in front of the level and am out of that item;
the only ways to go somewhere now are the hidden wharf or w.e and I explored that completely I think and didn't find anything except the mage NPC and the blue cathedral where there's nothing to do except the npc who doesn't talk to me. I also talked to the miracle lady.

You have two options. One, go back to where you found the pryo mage and pull the lever near the door. Two, go back to Heide's by walking and find the miracle lady. Pay her 2000 souls to rotate the hallway so you can go to a new place.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'm stuck heelp

Talk to the miracle lady until she goes to Majula, then find her there and talk to her some more.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I moused over a few spoilers, so not sure what's up, but with Ornstein and the Cathedral, are we in what's left of Anor Londo? Because if so that's loving awesome.

Not exactly. This is clearly a different place, but Ornstein does seem to have abyss powers like Artorias, so it's possible the one in DS1 was an illusion while the real one was in Oolacile at some point.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
If you're just entering Forest of the Giants and want a good weapon and lots of souls, try killing the knight who's sitting with his back to the big tree, after you climb up the ladder after the first bonfire. He's pretty tough and I had to use 5 lifegems, but it's so worth it. I think I got over 3000 souls by killing him, and a sword that does lightning dmg :dance:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Hex blows up those Turtles. Go Hex.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've seen other posts in this thread with the same complaint I had, that movement feels very eight-way and unsubtle, making small ledges really goddamned hazardous. Have there been any findings on that? Perhaps its based on OS, or controller, or drivers, or something? Or is it just designed that way (which is terrible)?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yet to see anyone fight the Pursuer using the gimmick for an easy kill. PC MASTER RACE. :black101:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

poptart_fairy posted:

Yet to see anyone fight the Pursuer using the gimmick for an easy kill. PC MASTER RACE. :black101:

Is that gimmick the one thing that usually kills the host more times than not. :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

I've seen other posts in this thread with the same complaint I had, that movement feels very eight-way and unsubtle, making small ledges really goddamned hazardous. Have there been any findings on that? Perhaps its based on OS, or controller, or drivers, or something? Or is it just designed that way (which is terrible)?

Someone was asking me about that yesterday and it's not happening to me with a knockoff off-brand 360 pad. They said it was happening with their DS4 and official 360 pad. Movement is a little imprecise when you're going slowly and more accurate if you're going fast, but I think it's a controller problem, I've heard lots of reports of weird DS4/360 pad things.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

Ah, I had a feeling that might be the case but wanted to make sure.

Parrying in this game feels way harder than it was in Dark Souls. I could parry everything in Dark Souls, but here I'm getting hosed up constantly. The first area was okay and Pursuer was pretty easy to parry, but I can't get the hang of the Wharf at all. The "rhythm" of the enemies is all over the place. Some attacks come out right away, some take ages, and if you parry at the wrong time you eat and axe to the face.

Or maybe I'm just super rusty/super terrible :v:

VVV I am too, its just pretty jarring for me since I used to be a parry master in Dark Souls and now the game is slapping me in the face and saying "no you suck". Its mean, in a good way.

I'm glad it's not only me having trouble with the parry timing. Time to learn it all over again!

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012
Does anyone know if it's possible to disable mouselook? I'm playing with a controller, and just had my first death thanks to accidentally moving my mouse.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So how good is it? Better or worse than Dark Souls?

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'm stuck heelp

Killed sinner boss, unstatufied a pyromancy mage instead of the statue in front of the level and am out of that item;
the only ways to go somewhere now are the hidden wharf or w.e and I explored that completely I think and didn't find anything except the mage NPC and the blue cathedral where there's nothing to do except the npc who doesn't talk to me. I also talked to the miracle lady.

The mage chick that you unpetrified was blocking a lever. Try pulling the lever and get ready to fight a shitton of strong dudes when you do

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh my gosh the Wharf is amazing.

Its full of zombie pirates and fish ghouls and half your deaths end in either a fiery explosion or tumbling into the cove like an idiot. Its a hilarious carnival of watery death.

I didn't think it could get better but then I found Gavlan :allears: Does this guy ever move to Majula or should I do all my business with him now?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Smol posted:

A lot of people have differing opinions on this one, but the general consensus has seemed to be 'a pretty great game and a good successor' regardless.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

So how do I get to the place with that ring that gives me most of my health back?

Assume I'm starting at the Mujula bonfire.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Smol posted:

Better in most regards, slightly worse in a few. It's a great game and I haven't heard of anyone not liking it, even people who think DS1 was better agree it's a great game! I've beat it five or six times now and there are a few things I miss from DS1 but I wouldn't want to go back and play DS1 after playing so much DS2.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
God drat it what's the point of having a life bar if everything seems to kill me in 2 or 3 hits anyway? This boss fight with Pursuer is aggravating as hell because if I get hit, I may as well give up because he won't let me have time to heal. :/

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh my gosh the Wharf is amazing.

Its full of zombie pirates and fish ghouls and half your deaths end in either a fiery explosion or tumbling into the cove like an idiot. Its a hilarious carnival of watery death.

I didn't think it could get better but then I found Gavlan :allears: Does this guy ever move to Majula or should I do all my business with him now?

Gavlan info: Majula, no. You'll find him in two other areas. The last area you find him he stays there for the rest of the game and it's right above a bonfire.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
17 Titanite Chunks in about 45 minutes, the Bell Tower Covenant is amazing.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Smol posted:

I would say that DS2 is much more "approachable" and/or "forgiving" than DS1. Don't get me wrong, you're going to die a lot- it still punishes mistakes, but there are lots of new things to prevent you from getting completely hosed from a bad run.

I'd vote that DS2 is "better" than DS1 because of that. But that's like comparing a 94/100 to a 95/100

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cyberventurer posted:

God drat it what's the point of having a life bar if everything seems to kill me in 2 or 3 hits anyway? This boss fight with Pursuer is aggravating as hell because if I get hit, I may as well give up because he won't let me have time to heal. :/

He is optional and particularly hard for how early you fight him. Armor is very strong in this game compared to DS1 but that boss is the kind of boss that's meant to have very avoidable attacks that will instakill or near-instakill you. You can almost instakill him using the ballistas in the arena.

You can get an incredibly good set of heavy armor right after him, though.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So how do I get to the place with that ring that gives me most of my health back?

Assume I'm starting at the Mujula bonfire.

There's a tunnel entrance next to the cliffside path that leads to the Victor Stone. It leads you to a little sewery bit.

When you reach daylight again, your goal is the big cathedral visible to your left. Hit up the bonfire to the right and put on your evasion face. You're going to be running past nearly a dozen of those big corroded hulks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Piell posted:

17 Titanite Chunks in about 45 minutes, the Bell Tower Covenant is amazing.

I can't wait to find this, the forest covenant was my favorite in DS1. Will Sentinels counter invade you there?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't wait to find this, the forest covenant was my favorite in DS1. Will Sentinels counter invade you there?

They can, yes

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Got summoned twice to help kill The Last Giant, then actually killed it on my first try by myself! I forgot how rewarding Co-op is in this. Any suggestions covenant-wise for jolly cooperation and how to get to them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I need to get my rear end to the belltower. Wherever it is.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

quaunaut posted:

Then this is just bad game design. If you're designing a single player game around the MMO concept of "Pull stacked enemies away from one another and hope to leash one of them", you're literally a bad game designer.

Yo you're really really bad at the game. The turtle knights are completely fair, even when fighting multiple of them; if you're having serious trouble like this, you just need to learn their patterns better.

Plus you get to fight lots more of them later in the game in Iron Keep.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Black barrels explode and there's a couple of places where they are precariously placed to nudge onto things, I love it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Maxmaps posted:

Got summoned twice to help kill The Last Giant, then actually killed it on my first try by myself! I forgot how rewarding Co-op is in this. Any suggestions covenant-wise for jolly cooperation and how to get to them?

There's the literal Sunbro covenant that you find a bit later on in Harvest Valley, and it's my go-to for co-oping.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

I'm stuck heelp

In addition to the other stuff people've said, if all you found in the wharf is Carhillion, you didn't explore it completely.

scamtank posted:

There's a tunnel entrance next to the cliffside path that leads to the Victor Stone. It leads you to a little sewery bit.

When you reach daylight again, your goal is the big cathedral visible to your left. Hit up the bonfire to the right and put on your evasion face. You're going to be running past nearly a dozen of those big corroded hulks.

Fair warning, in order to reach the ring you have to lower the drawbridge. Gotta kill the Old Knight in front of it to make a switch appear to do that.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

It's some kind of screwy USB conflict, per an earlier post in the thread. Unplug all USB devices and then plug in your controller, that fixed it for me.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I can't wait for people's reactions when they finally get to go down the well in majula :allears:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Protip for the Ruin Sentinel bossfight:

If you're summoning a dude that's powerstancing maces, don't summon anyone else. He can permastun the boss in 2 player, but not as safely in 3 player.

If you're the guy with powerstanced maces L1, L2 will poise break the boss, you can spam it and permastun. In 3 player you need to L2 L2 which is slower and opens you up to the possibility of being hit before the third hit of your second l2

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 25, 2014

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

The mage chick that you unpetrified was blocking a lever. Try pulling the lever and get ready to fight a shitton of strong dudes when you do

I meant the mage who sells you spells, near those exploding zombies. Also miracle lady isn't in Heidi tower anymore but can't find her in Madaja either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Smol posted:

People find it hard to agree whether Demon's or Dark Souls is the better game and happily Dark Souls II joins that discussion. It's probably the only series I know of where opinion is virtually split evenly across the board on each game. FROM knows exactly what makes the Souls games tick.