Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nescience posted:

Yeah I don't really have my firewall set. I'm just following a tutorial on a blank VPS.

What provider?

Try killing SNMP, starting it in the foreground/debug, and connecting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

nescience posted:

pre:
# netstat -anp | grep snmpd
udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:161             0.0.0.0:*                           25944/snmpd  

UDP sockets can apparently be listed as bound to 0.0.0.0 even though the application is configured to accept traffic on specific interfaces/IP addresses only: I've seen this behavior before with Samba nmbd and ntpd at least.

What is the actual command line used to start snmpd? The address(es) to listen to might be specified on the command line.
According to the above, your snmpd PID is 25944, so what is the output of "ps -fp 25944"?

Alternatively, the addresses to listen to might be specified in the snmpd configuration file too: please run "grep -i agentaddress /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf".

The addresses/ports snmpd should be listening to can be specified in many ways: type "man snmpd" in a terminal window and look for a paragraph titled "LISTENING ADDRESSES" for details.

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay

telcoM posted:

UDP sockets can apparently be listed as bound to 0.0.0.0 even though the application is configured to accept traffic on specific interfaces/IP addresses only: I've seen this behavior before with Samba nmbd and ntpd at least.

What is the actual command line used to start snmpd? The address(es) to listen to might be specified on the command line.
According to the above, your snmpd PID is 25944, so what is the output of "ps -fp 25944"?

Alternatively, the addresses to listen to might be specified in the snmpd configuration file too: please run "grep -i agentaddress /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf".

The addresses/ports snmpd should be listening to can be specified in many ways: type "man snmpd" in a terminal window and look for a paragraph titled "LISTENING ADDRESSES" for details.

I've tried
agentaddress 127.0.0.1 udp:161 and
agentaddress public_ip udp:161. I guess it's possible that 127.0.0.1 only counts as the loopback0 interface and not the NIC going to the Internet?It's currently set to
agentaddress udp:161 to just let anything through.

nescience fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 18, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

jkyuusai posted:

I got fed up with dicking around with config files written in Haskell before actually getting to the point of configuring Xmonad.

Anyway, are there any other options for being able to individually switch workspaces in a multiple monitor environment?

This won't entirely solve your problems, but I've found spectrwm to be much nicer than Xmonad for my uses.
It's a complete reimplementation of Xmonad in C, with a nice simple config file. Same keyboard shortcuts, same features.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nescience posted:

I've tried
agentaddress 127.0.0.1 udp:161 and
agentaddress public_ip udp:161. I guess it's possible that 127.0.0.1 only counts as the loopback0 interface and not the NIC going to the Internet?It's currently set to
agentaddress udp:161 to just let anything through.

I'm reasonably sure that you'd need:

udp:127.0.0.1:161 instead of 127.0.0.1:udp:161, but udp:161 is unnecessary anyway since those are the defaults.

Try:

snmpd -f -c /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

Then connect from another SSH session and try to snmpwalk localhost.

Also:

grep interface /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf

And check /etc/default/snmpd or /etc/sysconfig/snmpd (depending on your distro) to make sure nothing stupid is set.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

wooger posted:

This won't entirely solve your problems, but I've found spectrwm to be much nicer than Xmonad for my uses.
It's a complete reimplementation of Xmonad in C, with a nice simple config file. Same keyboard shortcuts, same features.

awesome, but it's just as bad with config files, except they're in Lua and are broken in each new release.

i3 has been good, despite me not taking a serious effort to figure it out completely and not having used it with multiple monitors. Should handle it though, it's recent.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender

evol262 posted:

WWN, like everything else SCSI.

You'd have to "connect, get the ID, set the rule, disconnect, reconnect aaaand" for any udev rule.

Well, I got this working but it pretty much fails after the first device. I connect to the first target, get the ID, create the udev rule mapping it to /dev/sdb, and reconnect. Great, I have /dev/sdb. Second device: I connect, the kernel overwrites the /dev/sdb device node with this new ISCSI device. =[

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Well, I got this working but it pretty much fails after the first device. I connect to the first target, get the ID, create the udev rule mapping it to /dev/sdb, and reconnect. Great, I have /dev/sdb. Second device: I connect, the kernel overwrites the /dev/sdb device node with this new ISCSI device. =[

Why are you using sdb when it's bad practice and problematic? Is this a hard requirement for something?

Please explain what the actual problem you're trying to solve is.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender
I can't really talk about a lot of it, but essentially I have a bunch of block devices for some user. He says "I want you to attach my block device here." and then my stuff will set that up. The ID/iscsi path/uuid will be completely meaningless to the end user.

I'm starting to lean towards not honoring their request for the drive letter and instead somehow letting them know where it ended up after it's attached.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I can't really talk about a lot of it, but essentially I have a bunch of block devices for some user. He says "I want you to attach my block device here." and then my stuff will set that up. The ID/iscsi path/uuid will be completely meaningless to the end user.

I'm starting to lean towards not honoring their request for the drive letter and instead somehow letting them know where it ended up after it's attached.

Ok, so let's try this from another angle.

You have a working rule.

What do you see in "dmesg | grep rename" after you attach both disks?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

evol262 posted:

Ok, so let's try this from another angle.

You have a working rule.

What do you see in "dmesg | grep rename" after you attach both disks?

Nothing. udev doesn't seem to be sending anything to dmesg. I turned on debug logging in udev.conf and "udevd-event[16431]: udev_rules_get_name: rule applied, 'sda' becomes 'sdb'" started showing up in /var/log/messages

I fixed it a bit by adding a default rule KERNEL=="sd*", BUS=="scsi", NAME="sdtemp%n", That way when I first connect, the device is assigned temp name and I get the scsi_id from that device node for the udev rule. My device nodes aren't getting overwritten anymore, but it does leave 'phantom' nodes lying around.

IE: I attach a device at sdb, udev logs naming sda to sdb, sdb nodes are correctly created but sda,sda1,sda2 still exist.
If I then attach a device with no partitions at sda, udev will log renaming sdb to sda, and the sda node will be changed to the correct device, but sda1 and sda2 still exist and are pointing to the partitions which are on 'sdb'

I think I can just remove the extra nodes if I do it carefully. Edit: I did and it worked!

Edit2: Not perfect, because if you fdisk and create partitions, it'll recreate these phantom ones if it can, but It's good enough for now.

Illusive Fuck Man fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Newbie time!

So, after getting a few new PC parts I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04. One huge mess abandoned later, I'm just migrating my 13.10 to the new SSD. So I used dd to clone the old system drive to the new SSD, but had trouble booting it. Got it working, but I have to point the BIOS booter to a secondary HDD used to store media instead? Maybe the MBR is on the wrong drive I think?

So as it stands, I'm booting etc but suboptimally. The dd tool left me with too-small partitions, but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually. More importantly: Any way of copying over the MBR to the 'correct' drive?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Serephina posted:

Newbie time!

So, after getting a few new PC parts I tried to upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04. One huge mess abandoned later, I'm just migrating my 13.10 to the new SSD. So I used dd to clone the old system drive to the new SSD, but had trouble booting it. Got it working, but I have to point the BIOS booter to a secondary HDD used to store media instead? Maybe the MBR is on the wrong drive I think?

So as it stands, I'm booting etc but suboptimally. The dd tool left me with too-small partitions, but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually. More importantly: Any way of copying over the MBR to the 'correct' drive?

Just as you say you're new to Linux, it really might be faster/easier to backup your /home directory and do a fresh install of 14.04 on your ssd.

It should only take 20 mins or so and it may avoid any issues that arose with doing an 'in place' upgrade while properly sizing your partitions and sorting your mbr.

If you'd rather not, try running gparted from a live cd to resize your partitions.

This link should help you sort the mbr out.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 19, 2014

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Serephina posted:

Newbie time!

dd works but for cloning drives you'd want to use clonezilla. It does all the partition sizing for you, and it's way faster.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Prince John posted:

Just as you say you're new to Linux, it really might be faster/easier to backup your /home directory and do a fresh install of 14.04 on your ssd.

It should only take 20 mins or so and it may avoid any issues that arose with doing an 'in place' upgrade while properly sizing your partitions and sorting your mbr.

If you'd rather not, try running gparted from a live cd to resize your partitions.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows should help you sort the mbr out.
Ironically, the clean install IS what was giving me such a nightmare. Trouble getting the NVIDIA maxwell drivers working, grub not showing, steam not installing, etc. Then I pulled my head out of my arse and remembered that 13.10 was doing me quite well. Boot-repair looks great, I'll give that a whirl. Oh, and your link is iffy :D

spankmeister posted:

dd works but for cloning drives you'd want to use clonezilla. It does all the partition sizing for you, and it's way faster.

After the fact, I fear.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 19, 2014

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Serephina posted:

Oh, and your link is iffy :D

Fixed, sorry! Let us know how you get on with the mbr.

When using dd to copy from hdd to sdd, did you remember to make any adjustment for 4k sector alignment or is it not needed in this case?

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I'm using debian at work and at home, and I'd like to stream audio over SSH. How is everyone accomplishing this? The only real convenient solution is via sshfs, but is there another or easier way to do this? I'm using cmus for my music player.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Megaman posted:

I'm using debian at work and at home, and I'd like to stream audio over SSH. How is everyone accomplishing this? The only real convenient solution is via sshfs, but is there another or easier way to do this? I'm using cmus for my music player.
You could set up a ssh port forward or SOCKS tunnel and then use mpd or an xmms2 setup.

Edit: you could also set up an icecast server.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 24, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
You can cat the mp3 file through school into mpg123. My boss did that for a while, though I don't remember the exact syntax to pipe the output of ssh into local mpg123.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 24, 2014

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I haven't really used it for music, but you could put plex server on your home machine. The at work use the web interface or the client.

I'm using a max mini for my media server and most of my music goes through iTunes Match, however I set up an nginx proxy for all my back end stuff (sabnzbd, transmission, couch potato, sick beard) and have my whole storage partition browsable. That way I can log in and grab something via http or add new stuff. If I really want an album I download it via http or winscp at work, or toss it on my Dropbox directory temporarily.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I use Subsonic, it's the poo poo.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

SurgicalOntologist posted:

I use Subsonic, it's the poo poo.

That looks pretty good. I think I might toss it on my own machine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Start the graphical distribution upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 last night before I went to bed.

Woke up and it had stopped halfway through with details about the upgrade to postgres 9.3. It wasn't asking me a question...just a bunch of :words: that it could've told me later.

:negative:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Reminder that if you had a power outage or your system shut down at that point, your computer would be hosed.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Never had problems like that with fedup :smuggo:

(Just a load of other problems, all distributions are terrible.)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
What's the best distro if you want a global menu bar like on a Mac?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Riso posted:

I don't know for sure because I don't use it, but I've heard people mention the new Ubuntu LTS release has that as an option. It might be a Unity thing.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Oh I've looked at Ubuntu. It's so loving half-arsed I don't even know what to say.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Riso posted:

Oh I've looked at Ubuntu. It's so loving half-arsed I don't even know what to say.

Real men use Debian :c00lbert:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Megaman posted:

Real men use Debian :c00lbert:

OpenBSD :eng101:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Riso posted:

Any one which runs a DE that supports global menu bars. Which appears to be anything which supports "gnome-globalmenu" (and that probably means OpenBSD is an option), but maybe there are more options than that, and maybe gnome-globalmenu is a terrible hack. Paging Suspicious Dish.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Can I delete a partition that has an encrypted home drive on it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sure, why not?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

evol262 posted:

(and that probably means OpenBSD is an option)

Please not, it was just a joke. If I wanted a firewall or router, yes, but on the desktop I am getting seizures by the very idea.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

evol262 posted:

gnome-globalmenu is a terrible hack

Correct.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Newbie question: How do I go from 12.04 to 14.04? Is it an automatic update within the system or do I need to do some downloading?

edit: I guess this answers my question

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Riso posted:

Off to the *BSD thread please.

For a Mac style global menu your best bet is Unity, honestly. But Gnome Shell (with extensions) and KDE can both be configured to support that.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Riso posted:

What are operating systems from the 90's no one uses anymore, Alex.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Megaman posted:

What are operating systems from the 90's no one uses anymore, Alex.

Much of OpenBSD goes into FreeBSD, and OpenBSD is still big in security research. Plus their work on OpenSSH, OpenNTPd, their recent cleanup of OpenSSL (LibreSSL), etc. It's still very relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

evol262 posted:

their recent cleanup of OpenSSL (LibreSSL)

That isn't remotely usable yet. I applaud their efforts however and will keep an eye on it.

My hope is actually for PolarSSL to gain more ground, and maybe NaCl will produce something that can actually do TLS.