Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

last laugh posted:

You can trade their ETFs without that fee, I believe.

Right. As well as their funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'll never want a boat. I have no love for rivers and boats just remind me of having to go clamming/oystering on the weekends when I was a kid. There's nothing worse than standing waist deep in freezing water, in an itchy wet suit and pulling a rake all day.
You're right - you want a yacht!

dreesemonkey posted:

I think I could get something rigged up, my main concern is that it's an hour or so away from me and it's basically all highway speeds back to my place. Just makes me a little weary. I was behind a van once on the highway that had a canoe slide off the side of it, at highway speeds and dragged next to the van. At least they pulled over right away.

I know :( We're considering a hyundai sonata strictly because of the 10yr/100k powertrain warranty. There is a high volume dealer a few hours away that none of the local dealers can touch in terms of cost $18k + tax/tags, so ~$19,400 OTD for the no frills model. About $1k more for one with the "popular equipment package", which I would probably get. We could technically pay cash, but I would finance about half at 1.49%/36 months. It's less than $200 in interest if we waited that long to pay it off. If we went with a nice used accord or something, we'd be paying around $15-17k (plus tax/tags), and have pretty much no warranty left.

We kinda "need" a bigger car because my we're expecting child #2, and the only way our first kid's infant seat fit in our civic was in the middle seat in the back. That won't work with my son's carseat next to it. Infant seats are loving huge. We have a '99 toyota avalon as well, but it has 160k on it and I don't know that I want to rely on that for our daily driver. For the few thousand more buying new over used, I think it's worth the peace of mind since we're planning on having no more kids and keeping the car at least until the warranty period runs out.

Selling our civic and saving money/paying down the car loan, we should be able to pay off the car before the end of the yearish.
If you can't rig, please don't rig. For the sale of the rest of us. It can be dangerous as poo poo. That said, rigging is loving easy so figure it out!!

Also, don't dent dent roof, use a rack or those foam block things. I wouldn't put them on my roof, but I'm anal and own a rack. (Not bad with money, I avoided buying the OEM BMW one and kept the Thule my wagon came with! It's so hideous - but free!)

spwrozek posted:

I know it is not rational. Just haven't had a roommate in so long... If they put one knife in the dishwasher I swear there will be hell to pay!

But yeah I probably will just do it. Free money and all
It sounds rational to not want a roommate to me... My family has a beach house which we don't loan out. My gf's folks have one they do loan out. Guess which one has random poo poo broken or huge messes when we/the family goes up? The one loaned out to trusted close friends and family.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Bloody Queef posted:

Vanguard is a brokerage firm. You can trade through them, but unless you hit the voyager/flagship levels, commissions are super high 20 bucks I think

the 20 bucks is the per year cost of having a brokerage account. Per trade stuff varies based on what you are buying (Vanguard ETFs are free for example).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Something I noticed about my townhouse. No electricity, hot day but the house is surprisingly cool....

Anyway the AC works :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
God my backup vacation plan is to go hiking in the mountains for 9 days. On the AT you only needed to pack like 3 days worth of food before you would cross another road and hitch into town. But there are no loving cities in Canada so we have to carry like thirty pounds of food for the 25-kilometre, 1700ft ascent on the first day. And I'm pretty sure I dislocated a rib coughing last night, it's the worst.

And since this was the super backup plan, we don't have any good meals dehydrated, so we have to eat lovely KD type stuff or spend $6 a serving for Mountain House bullshit.

And my boots just broke!

In retrospect, it may be best to spend 7-8 days in the mountains and properly prepare since hiking around at like 8000 feet is kind of serious business. :ohdear:

Nah, gently caress it. If I don't post again after May 4, send help guys because pretty much nobody knows that we're going!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

tuyop posted:

God my backup vacation plan is to go hiking in the mountains for 9 days. On the AT you only needed to pack like 3 days worth of food before you would cross another road and hitch into town. But there are no loving cities in Canada so we have to carry like thirty pounds of food for the 25-kilometre, 1700ft ascent on the first day. And I'm pretty sure I dislocated a rib coughing last night, it's the worst.

And since this was the super backup plan, we don't have any good meals dehydrated, so we have to eat lovely KD type stuff or spend $6 a serving for Mountain House bullshit.

And my boots just broke!

In retrospect, it may be best to spend 7-8 days in the mountains and properly prepare since hiking around at like 8000 feet is kind of serious business. :ohdear:

Nah, gently caress it. If I don't post again after May 4, send help guys because pretty much nobody knows that we're going!

Were those those like 500 dollar boots i can't remember

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Veskit posted:

No that was his underwear.

Just sent in my federal tax return, gonna use the federal refund to pay what I owe the province. :quebec: Goddamn I miss getting $9K refunds; on the other hand I guess I get to use my money faster, wooo! Feels like the credits for tuition used to be a lot better though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I have a 5 day vacation coming up. I think my plan includes taking care of the dog (she's getting fixed) and playing Baldur's Gate 2.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Vilgan posted:

the 20 bucks is the per year cost of having a brokerage account. Per trade stuff varies based on what you are buying (Vanguard ETFs are free for example).

$20 is the cost for buying stocks, which I think is what the poster was getting at. And $20 is the highest I've ever seen for non assisted trades. Don't buy stocks through Vanguard. Of course Vanguard ETFs and Funds are commission free.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

My dad is getting on in his years and given a recent bout with cancer, he's started thinking in earnest about estate planning (total net assets in the mid 8 figures). Given that my mom is a housewife with not much interest in financial planning, he's asked my brother and I to think about how we'd want to manage household finances if he passes on. I work in finance but my brother's an accountant so I'm tempted to suggest he be the lead for planning.

Any thoughts on this?

We'll definitely involve my father's wealth planner at some point but I'm just wondering whether there're "familial" issues which we should keep in mind.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Welp, just bought a new car...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

They were really expensive but I bought them seven years ago. Probably around 300.

The boots from the thread are army boots and they were sub-200 IIRC. Not gonna wear those because they're temperate vented boots and the trails will be icy and flooded.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

shrike82 posted:

My dad is getting on in his years and given a recent bout with cancer, he's started thinking in earnest about estate planning (total net assets in the mid 8 figures). Given that my mom is a housewife with not much interest in financial planning, he's asked my brother and I to think about how we'd want to manage household finances if he passes on. I work in finance but my brother's an accountant so I'm tempted to suggest he be the lead for planning.

Any thoughts on this?

We'll definitely involve my father's wealth planner at some point but I'm just wondering whether there're "familial" issues which we should keep in mind.

Does he have a will or a trust fund? I would assume a trust fund would make planning financial things easy since it could be setup to guarantee your family X dollars a month or whatever and would prevent people from blowing all your dads money if he passes.

Your brother may be an accountant but I wouldn't put a family member in charge of it all, you should also be a part of the process. Remember Enron had accountants.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spwrozek posted:

Welp, just bought a new car...

What did you end up getting?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dreesemonkey posted:

What did you end up getting?

Subaru Impreza sport premium. Msrp was $24k, paid $20.5k. So not too bad.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Did you haggle for it or did you go somewhere like CarMax?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Sometimes I can't help but think "If everyone was like me or your typical BFC goon with money would the economy collapse?" and the answer I always arrive to is "yes.". I can drive down the street right now and point to a lot of companies that would go out of business overnight. Then several that would probably collapse because I don't use them very often.

edit: Sorry for the dbl post. The question I posed is a little extreme but often times I have friends tell me "There should be a life 101 class in college/high school that teaches kids to be financially responsible with money, how to create a budget and how to be better at saving money, invest, etc." and I can't help but think "Gee, that would probably suck long term."

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 25, 2014

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Sometimes I can't help but think "If everyone was like me or your typical BFC goon with money would the economy collapse?" and the answer I always arrive to is "yes.". I can drive down the street right now and point to a lot of companies that would go out of business overnight. Then several that would probably collapse because I don't use them very often.

edit: Sorry for the dbl post. The question I posed is a little extreme but often times I have friends tell me "There should be a life 101 class in college/high school that teaches kids to be financially responsible with money, how to create a budget and how to be better at saving money, invest, etc." and I can't help but think "Gee, that would probably suck long term."

Don't worry, even if there were classes and people had to pass it, many don't have the willpower to delay gratification or think that saving for the future is a priority. There might be a slight shift to more responsible money handling, but probably not a huge amount. I do think a lot of industry would have a major shakeup though if finances were handled differently.

I have a friend who lost both his parents before he was 16. His dad's family was fairly old money and he has a trust fund, nothing earth shattering but he could live a frugal life off it if he wanted to. He's on his literal 15th new car in 10 years, carries debt on CCs, etc. If I were in the same position I'd probably have a few paid for rentals by now.

I can almost kind of see his side, though. Being burdened with losing both of his parents at an early age I can see why he'd rather spend his money now vs. thinking about tomorrow. He has said to me in the past "If I can afford the monthly payments, I can afford it".

spwrozek posted:

Subaru Impreza sport premium. Msrp was $24k, paid $20.5k. So not too bad.

Nice, Subarus hold their value really well so you did well I think.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Well that's funny, it's one of the things MMM addresses all the time.

And I don't think financial literacy classes would do poo poo because the damage is already done by then. You need to change society, man.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Unfortunately I don't think classes would do all that much.

It took me 10 years after graduating college before I really pulled my head out of my rear end regarding finances. Luckily I was smart enough to max out my 401k immediately but I was up to my eye balls in debt and really didn't care.

I tend to forgive people in their 20's a lot of things I would consider "not smart" because they're still young, enjoying the world and figuring out what direction they're going to take for the rest of their lives. To paraphrase Greg Proops, "if you don't [gently caress like a rabbit and spend like a drunk sailor] while you're young when the hell are you supposed to?"

That said, there is little to no excuse for people past that point in their lives to not at least recognize that they still have a lifetime ahead of them to prepare for.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

As a Masters level economics student, I have to respectfully disagree.

If over night, everyone shifted their preferences to save more, then yes, several businesses would shut down quickly. There would be lost jobs.

But then the economy would adjust. The job losses would likely be temporary. An increase in savings means that interest rates would decrease, so borrowing would become cheaper. This would mean new businesses cropping up from individuals looking to take a higher risk for a larger rate of return.

I believe if everyone were financially responsible, there would be far fewer sad/funny stories of people having financial troubles. In the long run, I believe everyone would be better off.

But you can also take this with a grain of salt because I haven't taken Macro Theory yet.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Did you haggle for it or did you go somewhere like CarMax?

Went to a local car dealer but had an ace in the hole. We have corporate buying programs with Ford, Chevy, and Subaru. So I contacted the Subaru one and found out a good price. Then shopped some dealers locally to see if I should do better. Ended up doing and $300 better than the corporate program. They were a bit above that at first so I said here is an email for what I can get the same car for, can you beat it and they did.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I bought a shirt today that I didn't need other than to satisfy my love for the subject.

On the flip side, I have not been buying soda for two weeks now, and I rarely eat out unless it has to happen.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Unfortunately I don't think classes would do all that much.

It took me 10 years after graduating college before I really pulled my head out of my rear end regarding finances. Luckily I was smart enough to max out my 401k immediately but I was up to my eye balls in debt and really didn't care.

I tend to forgive people in their 20's a lot of things I would consider "not smart" because they're still young, enjoying the world and figuring out what direction they're going to take for the rest of their lives. To paraphrase Greg Proops, "if you don't [gently caress like a rabbit and spend like a drunk sailor] while you're young when the hell are you supposed to?"

That said, there is little to no excuse for people past that point in their lives to not at least recognize that they still have a lifetime ahead of them to prepare for.

We have mandatory Geography classes and a lot of people can't identify any European country other than Italy. So I don't think a mandated financial education (which is required in half of the states) would stick, even ignoring the huge draw of buy now pay later.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Bloody Queef posted:

Right. As well as their funds.

Vilgan posted:

Bloody Queef posted:

$20 is the cost for buying stocks, which I think is what the poster was getting at. And $20 is the highest I've ever seen for non assisted trades. Don't buy stocks through Vanguard. Of course Vanguard ETFs and Funds are commission free.

last laugh posted:

You can trade their ETFs without that fee, I believe.

Bloody Queef posted:

Vanguard is a brokerage firm. You can trade through them, but unless you hit the voyager/flagship levels, commissions are super high 20 bucks I think
Ok cool, I just want to buy Vanguard funds anyway, I'll look around more for how to link my bank account and buy those.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm thinking about starting a blog for family/finance/programming stuff. I'm a programmer (albeit mostly for Android) and could see myself wanting to customize it via code at some point, but not right now. Any recommendations for a good site?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Cicero posted:

I'm thinking about starting a blog for family/finance/programming stuff. I'm a programmer (albeit mostly for Android) and could see myself wanting to customize it via code at some point, but not right now. Any recommendations for a good site?

That's an interesting subject list :stare: I use blogspot.com / blogger.com , if you want to move it elsewhere someday they have a tool to dump all the content to XML.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

tuyop posted:

Well that's funny, it's one of the things MMM addresses all the time.

And I don't think financial literacy classes would do poo poo because the damage is already done by then. You need to change society, man.

Thanks for the link and yes I agree with your latter point. A shorter work week and higher exports sounds nice to me. I'd argue that the short term losses could potentially become long term since it would take society awhile to adjust but things would eventually have to change.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 26, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I think Sardines are now my go to food. High protein, lots of nutrients and their low on the food chain so they're less likely to have high levels of mercury. Not to mention they're cheap.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I think Sardines are now my go to food. High protein, lots of nutrients and their low on the food chain so they're less likely to have high levels of mercury. Not to mention they're cheap.

I've never tried sardines but I'm curious.

Not eating out for lunch today despite really wanting to. The leftovers I have packed are wearing on me.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I hope you don't work in close quarters in an office. If you do, you're THAT guy

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, right now I've only ate them at home but I figure I can get away with it because the owner consumes tuna on a daily basis. My office is also far away from everyone else and I can always turn on a fan, swig some mouthwash and then blame it on the boss.

For some reason I grabbed a small can of anchovies. They don't seem nearly as healthy and I read I should avoid tuna and other large fish.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I have my own office and still won't bring tuna or sardines to work.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Sephiroth_IRA - Do more research on tuna. The mercury levels are drat low.

nickutz posted:

I have my own office and still won't bring tuna or sardines to work.
You don't want to stink up your office!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Fresh sardines are great. Try them out if you ever get a shot.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Usually the end of the month is a pretty lean time for me, but I got paid today and I still had like $150 left in my bank account! :eek:

Pretty big deal for me!

I guess being single must save money. :unsmith:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yay for end of the month tallies. :D

Increased savings by $5,577 this month thanks to the powers of Magical Side Business! On one hand, awesome. On the other hand, it totally hosed up my budgets in Mint because the site treated my royalty checks as negative quantities of book shopping on Amazon. I shall have to fix that. GoodProblems.txt ?

Sundae fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 30, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Tuna's not the most sustainable of fisheries though. Delicious, but not the most environment friendly.

Fish in the office isn't terrible if you don't eat it up and rinse out the can before throwing it out. If you microwave fish in an office you're literally Hitler.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Sundae posted:

Yay for end of the month tallies. :D

Increased savings by $5,577 this month thanks to the powers of Magical Side Business! On one hand, awesome. On the other hand, it totally hosed up my budgets in Mint because the site treated my royalty checks as negative quantities of book shopping on Amazon. I shall have to fix that. GoodProblems.txt ?
Awesome, that is a good problem to have, I think. What's your magical side business, writing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Yeah, I'm a romance writer.