Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

mr. stefan posted:

What the hell is Bandai's deal with 7-11, anyway? do they share a parent company or something?

7-11 is everywhere in Japan. And Taiwan. Probably China and Korea too, though I haven't really checked in a while. They (and ANA airlines) are big enough that they do cross promotion stuff like this a lot.

EDIT: V Yes.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Is the RX78 3.0 designed so that the bottom leg plates split apart when it leans back? It's a weird thing to have happen, but given the way the ankle and calf are built, it seems intentional.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

TARDISman posted:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/04/megahouse-cosmo-fleet-collection.html Not sure what scale it is but I guess we're finally getting a new ship model! Would've been nice to get the Ra Cailum but the Nahel Argama's pretty sweet.

it's just a statue, not a kit, and it's by megahouse, so it'll be decent at least, as long as it's not sub 2000 yen or something

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

muike posted:

it's just a statue, not a kit, and it's by megahouse, so it'll be decent at least, as long as it's not sub 2000 yen or something

Eh, better this way for me, I'm too lazy a builder to do a real kit of something that size, main reason I never got an Archangel or White Base. I'm awful at gluing stuff together.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You don't glue EX kits. :ssh:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

...oh wait it was paint that was needed. Point remains, I'm awful at it!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just when you thought you'd seen the last Unicorn Gundam, There's a special-edition 7-11 one coming :regd08:. That said, I actually kinda like it. The transparent pieces make it look like it's full of green slurpee or something.
I like the color scheme, and wanna know what colors they used.

However, I also know it's gonna be up to like $150 by about 10-12 hours after release. :rodimus:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Color me surprised. :geno:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

Color me surprised. :geno:

Wow, they're really charging through the nose for the TRANS-AM variant compared to most RG's. What'd they do, actually coat it in GN particles?

edit: Apparently the RG Exia's been let out a day early for good behaviour in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 24, 2014

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Gloss paint costs a bit more I guess. Compare that to the CE Powered Down variant suits which are just gray.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow, they're really charging through the nose for the TRANS-AM variant compared to most RG's. What'd they do, actually coat it in GN particles?

edit: Apparently the RG Exia's been let out a day early for good behaviour in Japan.

What are you talking about? 2700 yen for Trans-am Exia is a pretty standard price.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's literally the exact same price as the RG Exia. Are you mistaking the Exia Repair's pack for the actual price?

EDIT: If there's anything I'm surprised at, it's how fast they're pumping out the Trans-Am variant.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 24, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

7-11 is everywhere in Japan. And Taiwan. Probably China and Korea too, though I haven't really checked in a while. They (and ANA airlines) are big enough that they do cross promotion stuff like this a lot.

EDIT: V Yes.

There are lots of small towns where 7-11 operates as the general store. You can buy food, clothes, toys, and you can pick up mail there. As someone who traveled through some of the more remote areas, 7-11 was the only way to avoid food poisoning. They had 7-11 HG freedoms in the back

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Why has their never been a kit of the top half of the Methuss?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
because it never got a chance to combine with the baund doc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

It's literally the exact same price as the RG Exia. Are you mistaking the Exia Repair's pack for the actual price?

EDIT: If there's anything I'm surprised at, it's how fast they're pumping out the Trans-Am variant.

I was looking at the 1620 Yen price, that's why. And I'm more surprised the Trans-Am variant wasn't announced at the same time as the Exia Repair and GN Arms packs.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
I just went to Gentei parts to order some bits that I misplaced in my first assembly that I've only just realised were missing. That is a very large backlog he's got there. :stare:

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

"Trans-Am system" is the most anime thing ever.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh neat, Bandai made 3D models of Virtue and Dynames due to the results of that earlier poll. For those not familiar, CAD models are the second step in Bandai's New Kit process.

RG Dynames is guaranteed, since it a) lets them cleanly reuse the Exia's GN frame and b) lets them make another GN Arms webshop exclusive, but RG Virtue still seems like it'd be an issue. I'm expecting it to happen anyways, but with some sort of catch. Hopefully it'll just be a higher base price.

EDIT: V Well poo poo, I'd much rather see a kit of that.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 25, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Nah that's fanart from some guy on pixiv, i don't remember his name, but he did a lot of silly 00 mashups, like the 007s using kyrios as a sword

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

"Trans-Am system" is the most anime thing ever.

I'm still disappointed it doesn't give a Gundam a sweet mullet and a Guns & Roses t-shirt with the sleeves cut off

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Barnes and Nobles on West Gray in Houston now has Gundam models. It was a mix of Wing and Build Fighters High Grades and Master Grades, plus Real Grade Destiny.

They also had STABDart and Assault Kingdom, which was disappointing, because I collect Converge. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

They also had STABDart and Assault Kingdom, which was disappointing, because I collect Converge. :(

That's interesting - I've seen them in a couple of other unexpected places recently too. I wonder if Bluefin is carrying them now. I have all the Standarts and Assault Kingdoms, and would love to not have to import them from Hong Kong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Phy posted:

I'm still disappointed it doesn't give a Gundam a sweet mullet and a Guns & Roses t-shirt with the sleeves cut off

I dunno, that sounds like the Naudleeh Gundam to me :v:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

90s kits. :allears:

Between outdated engineering and its own design, the 1/100 DX can not pose for poo poo.

Hell it can barely do a decent air dash.

But it can totally just float there, which is all it needs to be able to do.

EDIT: V It's getting a similar paint job, some welding, and some putty to give it some weight.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 26, 2014

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Are you going to do a straight build of the DX or trying to fix it up to a certain degree?
I'm loving the paintwork you did to the Gundam X btw.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So I just finished up some of my first HG units that came out really well. I've got my line work done and I'm thinking about trying out doing a top coat on them. Any tips for not loving them up? The units I'm doing are the Kampfer Amazing, GM Sniper K9 and the Age-FX.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've got my line work done and I'm thinking about trying out doing a top coat on them. Any tips for not loving them up?

Make sure the top coat is well shaken, put the cans in warm water so the topcoat doesn't "frost" on you, and don't try to get a perfect coating in one shot - use multiple light coats.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Make sure the top coat is well shaken, put the cans in warm water so the topcoat doesn't "frost" on you, and don't try to get a perfect coating in one shot - use multiple light coats.

Also let off the spray every few seconds or the can will start to freeze up and cause the coat to frost over. If you plan to go through it fast enough, having 2 cans will let you work faster - you can use one while the other one warms back up in the water, then switch them when the first one starts to get cold.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Oh, do I want to/should I also be applying this finish to the extra bits like weapons or leave those as they are?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Flat coat anything that isn't clear or supposed to be shiny.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody here use the pin-vise method for making the female slot for connector pegs wider? If so, what size bits do you end up using?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you never, ever, want to sleep soundly again, take a look at this custom Attack on Titan Beargguy :magical:.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I've completed the body on the RX-78 3.0 now, and I'm very impressed by some things. It's highly poseable, the waist functions extremely well and isn't finnicky at all, and the torso/waist connection, which is a core lander, is very strong- not the case for the older core lander kit I've built. However, the arms, legs, and head pop off whenever I so much as touch it, and it makes all that poseability nearly go to waste, because actually posing it is such a drag.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You might not have put the joints all the way in then. For all the issues I have posing the 3.0, the actual limbs falling off is not one of them.

It took forever, looks horrible because I scratched off the paint by eye, and I completely messed up welding the seam, but gently caress it the bottom of my DX's feet are done. I guess I could layer some putty to try and recreate thrusters in those circles but screw that.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

While I'm not usually the type to get too worked up over my plastic robot hobby (evidence to the contrary be damned), please let this rumor be true. It means I don't have to do some extensive painting to make a green frame Norn.

Also, I think at this point I might have myself a legitimate MG Unicorn/Banshee collection problem. (And it does 'prove' that BlitzBlast was right on them releasing a new version. Not that I'm complaining.)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 28, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Amazingly I don't have a single Unicorn but the 7-11 one is really awesome looking.

EDIT: drat, these web exclusives look amazing.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 28, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
It's been a while since i've done this, so here's some China Gunpla announcements:

Pre-orders for GoGo's MG Kampfer EVO has started up. Word going around is that only 5000 of them will be made, so grab it now if you're interested.

Model Comprehend have also released an "Final Effect" version of their 1/144 Hi-Nu Gundoom, complete with wing thrusters, giant beam saber effect parts, fin funnel effect parts, and a fin funnel display base.

Daban came out a while ago with their take on Nu Gundam ver. ka, complete with 12 fin funnels and extra pink psychoframe.

Finally, pre-orders for a restock of Dragon Momoko's Tallgeese III has popped up again.

I couldn't resist that EVO Kampfer. I've never been big on mono-eye mobile suits, but something about a robot dual-wielding shotguns speaks to me. :swoon:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I honestly couldn't care less about the actual Hi-Nu Gundoom, but that display stand can probably be used for the HGUC Nu's funnels so that's a definite purchase for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I honestly couldn't care less about the actual Hi-Nu Gundoom, but that display stand can probably be used for the HGUC Nu's funnels so that's a definite purchase for me.

It might show up as a separate part at some point.

• Locked thread