Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

April posted:

Once I didn't have that inner voice screaming "OH COME ON I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!"

Ah, I see. I murdered that voice in The Wait. That's when I decided it didn't matter where any story was going as long as it was entertaining in its own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm currently reading The Troop by Nick Cutter and it reminds me a lot of King in very good ways(King actually has a big blurb on the front cover that made me buy it in the first place). It's about a Boy Scout troop on a camping trip gone horribly wrong. The characterization and interactions of the young Scout characters is great so far and there's some really gross body horror and good psychological horror too.

April posted:

My first reading of it, I hated it. However, I was one of the people reading the books as they were published, and waiting YEARS to get more story, then being denied any progress, was painful. Re-reading it once I had already finished the series was an entirely different experience. Once I didn't have that inner voice screaming "OH COME ON I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!!!" I really enjoyed W&G. But yes, the first reading is excruciating.

Yeah, I read it when it was originally published and while I did enjoy reading about Roland's past and his first Ka-tet, it was super frustrating getting so little progress on the over arching narrative of the series after the long wait.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
As a big fan of IT ever since I was a little kid (my dad always used to make me watch it), I decided a while ago to start reading it. About half-way through now, just got done with the scene at the Jade of the Orient. It's amazing to me how the dialog there goes from cheerful to horrifying and back to cheerful right after. The utter viciousness and cruelty of Pennywise meanwhile, even though I love the movie, there's a whole other level of it in the books. Mike describing the 9 kids killed so far in 84-85 before he called them is just terrifying. Definitely glad I finally decided to read it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've always been a fan of how things in King's books overlapped with stuff in the Dark Tower series. I think it is fairly well-established that pennywise is supposed to be some todash creature similar to Dandelo, and obviously Salem's Lot plays a big role in the series with Callahan. What I would like to know is, is Insomnia worth a re-read? They mention it in the dark tower books as if it's some "keystone" book, but when I read it about 15 years ago I don't remember much about whether they discuss things about the dark tower books, aside from the name Brautigan. All I really remember is a bunch of stuff about auras.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've always been a fan of how things in King's books overlapped with stuff in the Dark Tower series. I think it is fairly well-established that pennywise is supposed to be some todash creature similar to Dandelo, and obviously Salem's Lot plays a big role in the series with Callahan. What I would like to know is, is Insomnia worth a re-read? They mention it in the dark tower books as if it's some "keystone" book, but when I read it about 15 years ago I don't remember much about whether they discuss things about the dark tower books, aside from the name Brautigan. All I really remember is a bunch of stuff about auras.

Also the Crimson King is mentioned. And the book itself is purestrain awesome.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Joose Caboose posted:

So it took me 3 months but I finally found enough time to finish It last night. Even though it took me so long, I did end up loving it. I'll put some thoughts in spoilers in case there's still a number of people in this thread reading it currently.

I did have a slow time and wasn't the biggest fan of the Derry interludes. For some reason in the flow of the story they were almost like roadblocks for me reading it. However in retrospect, I think they do add to the story well and are a really interesting part of the Derry history throughout the book. I think I'll enjoy those parts a lot more on a re-read. I really liked the final section where it constantly changed time periods and points of view mid-sentence and yet kept everything tied together. It was a great way to have the stories of the two time periods reach the climax at the same time. Speaking of climax...the infamous sewer orgy part :stare: At least it wasn't quite as weird as I expected (possibly because I had heard about it beforehand) but it was still loving weird. It was also really cool getting the couple parts from the perspective of It.

That's main blurt out thoughts right after finishing, but yeah the story ruled and I don't think the mammoth length of it hurt it at all.

I would honestly be interested in reading a "history" book about Derry if King wrote one.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't know about it being a "Keystone" book, but it has a major plot point relevant to the Dark Tower (although that is revealed fairly close to the end) and quite a few references to the series, and a little explication about the "levels". Plus, it's set in Derry and has several characters you will recognize from other books. And I've always liked the main character, Ralph Roberts, for some reason.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Insomnia is loving nuts. Really underrated.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I thought I would just ask this here (since King fans have taken a stab at Clive Barker), but are there any Clive Barker novels that stand out?

Yes I have read the Books of Blood (several times), but his novels have been so-so. I've read the Great and Secret Show, Coldheart Canyon, and Sacrament. I didn't find these bad at all, they just didn't pack the punch of the Books of Blood. What is suppose to be Baker's masterpiece of long fiction?

savinhill posted:

I'm currently reading The Troop by Nick Cutter and it reminds me a lot of King in very good ways(King actually has a big blurb on the front cover that made me buy it in the first place). It's about a Boy Scout troop on a camping trip gone horribly wrong. The characterization and interactions of the young Scout characters is great so far and there's some really gross body horror and good psychological horror too.

Just ordered this. Thanks.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Picked up the Troop on my Kindle last night, so far it's like the best of Koontz, King and Saul all rolled up in a big, gruesome burrito.

As far as Barker, it's been a while and I was never his biggest fan, but Imajica was pretty awesome, the Thief of Always and Weaveworld were great too (although not his 'key' works).

I'll be honest, and I'll preface by saying that I hope this doesn't come across as being in any way homophobic or derogatory, but the main reason I stopped reading Barkers works is that the homosexuality in them started feeling oddly forced and out of place to the point that it made me uncomfortable (and I was a lot younger, bear in mind if relevant).

I remember learning that he was gay and I believe I made some remark about him not liking himself very much if that's what's motivating those passages, and maybe I missed the whole point, it's possible.

I'm only mentioning it because Imajica and Sacrament made me think about that, and I'm curious what other readers may think, or like I said, if I totally missed something overall.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Barkers books be bodaciously bad.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

iostream.h posted:

I'm only mentioning it because Imajica and Sacrament made me think about that, and I'm curious what other readers may think, or like I said, if I totally missed something overall.

The previous Barker novel I read was Sacrament 10 years ago. I remember feeling I was done giving him a chance (he was always so close but no cigar), but I just re-read the Books of Blood earlier this year, and I thought to myself to give him another try. So I tried Coldheart Canyon which wasn't bad, great first half but what a letdown in the second half/ I guess his writing is better suited for short stories.

I asked this in the recommendation thread are there any other writers or books that that mix what I call 'weird decadent/hedonistic horror' like Barker does sometime?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

So what is King's newest book about and why is it going to be terrible/not terrible?

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

nate fisher posted:

are there any Clive Barker novels that stand out?

I've only read Weaveworld, and I enjoyed it, but I don't think I finished it because it went on and on and on, but that was a long time ago, I may give it another shot.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

juliuspringle posted:

So what is King's newest book about and why is it going to be terrible/not terrible?

Which one?

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Mercedes-Novel-Stephen-King/dp/1476754454/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398192959&sr=1-3&keywords=stephen+king

or

http://www.amazon.com/Revival-Novel-Stephen-King/dp/1476770387/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398192959&sr=1-5&keywords=stephen+king

Who knows with King, but I have a feeling at least one will be a pretty good read given his last 2 releases (Dr. Sleep and Joyland).

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

poo poo, I'd forgotten about revival.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

YOU WILL NOT HARM THE HERD :unsmigghh:

I never, ever, ever get tired of this part.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

YOU WILL NOT HARM THE HERD :unsmigghh:

I never, ever, ever get tired of this part.

I love that book so much! And now I want this:

http://www.zazzle.com/reverend_gardeners_home_for_wayward_boys_tshirts-235557724345310182

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nate fisher posted:

I thought I would just ask this here (since King fans have taken a stab at Clive Barker), but are there any Clive Barker novels that stand out?

Yes I have read the Books of Blood (several times), but his novels have been so-so. I've read the Great and Secret Show, Coldheart Canyon, and Sacrament. I didn't find these bad at all, they just didn't pack the punch of the Books of Blood. What is suppose to be Baker's masterpiece of long fiction?

Try The Damnation Game. It was his first novel and written right around the same time as Books of Blood. It doesn't have the fantasy like elements that most of his other books have and is more of a straight up horror novel.

nate fisher posted:

I asked this in the recommendation thread are there any other writers or books that that mix what I call 'weird decadent/hedonistic horror' like Barker does sometime?

I'm interested in hearing people's recs/opinions about this too, I love Barker's style.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Talisman talk reminds me, I really, really enjoyed Black House. The plot was hit-or-miss, but something about the world-building in the town made it an absolute joy to read. Kind of fell apart at the end, but the first half or so is incredible. It's slow, so I get why people complain about it, but I'm never really in a hurry to get where it's going anyway, and the showdown at the police station while Jack interrogates the wrong guy was great.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kind of fell apart at the end, but the first half or so is incredible.

This describes so many of his books.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

nate fisher posted:

I've read most of Barker's stuff, and very little of it ever comes close to the style/feel of the original short stories.

The Thief of Always is probably the best place to start. It is meant for children, but it is a fantastic book.

I really loved Imajica. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get into it, the book is outstanding. It does a lot, even considering how long it is. I need to re-read this one again.

I really liked The Great and Secret show, it had a big impression on me. It defies description, and it is probably my favorite Barker book. I've read Everville, but it doesn't stick as much. I keep putting off a re-read...

I also really loved Galilee, though it has been quite some time since I read it. It wasn't scary, it was dark and weird and wonderful. I'd read it again, but an x-girlfriend stole my copy.

One of the biggest problems I have with Barker is that he seems to be filled with all of these grand plots and ideas, but they never materialize. There is supposed to be a third "Book of the Art" that has been promised for years, evidently Galilee is promised to be a series. Cabal is supposed to have a sequel..poo poo if he wrote a book, he has promised a sequel or four for it.

Last I heard, "The Scarlet Gospels" was finished, and waiting for somebody to publish, (winter of 2015) which is something I'd be anxious to read, as Barker essentially tries to say everything that needs to be said about Hellraiser, as well as write a massive book about the machinations of hell... which could be a return to some old school Barker, but you never know.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just finished Cell, and I've found it to be quite disappointing. Not necessarily bad, but just forgettable. A particular death in the book did not have anywhere near the weight I think King was going for, and it felt more like a first draft than a finished product.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

joepinetree posted:

Just finished Cell, and I've found it to be quite disappointing. Not necessarily bad, but just forgettable. A particular death in the book did not have anywhere near the weight I think King was going for, and it felt more like a first draft than a finished product.

Cell's beginning is great, but then the rest of the book happens. It reaches great heights just so it can start a long slide into utter mediocrity.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Cell's beginning is great, but then the rest of the book happens. It reaches great heights just so it can start a long slide into utter mediocrity.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kind of fell apart at the end, but the first half or so is incredible.

He gets an idea, runs with it to great effect, and falls flat.

Spineless editors and greedy publishers let this happen, and I can't fault the man for riding the train.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

He gets an idea, runs with it to great effect, and falls flat.

Spineless editors and greedy publishers let this happen, and I can't fault the man for riding the train.

It's our fault really as we keep buying the stuff.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

juliuspringle posted:

It's our fault really as we keep buying the stuff.

To be fair, Cell is one of the worst offenders in that regard, if not theworst.

King's weakest at endings; this is known. Not many of his books have really good endings.

Cell, though, doesn't just fail at endings. It's all downhill after the first act.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

To be fair, Cell is one of the worst offenders in that regard, if not theworst.

King's weakest at endings; this is known. Not many of his books have really good endings.

Cell, though, doesn't just fail at endings. It's all downhill after the first act.

The opening third was sooooo good though. :negative:

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Cell is the only SK book I regret reading. I honestly don't know how I even finished it.

I've read Cell and haven't read IT yet. I'm hosed up.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Damo posted:

Cell is the only SK book I regret reading. I honestly don't know how I even finished it.

I've read Cell and haven't read IT yet. I'm hosed up.

Gerald's Game.

I still haven't forgiven the absolute fucker for that book, or the series of books with female protagonists where literally all of them were raped.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

rypakal posted:

Gerald's Game.

I still haven't forgiven the absolute fucker for that book, or the series of books with female protagonists where literally all of them were raped.

You really really really need to avoid Richard Laymon books.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Davros1 posted:

I would honestly be interested in reading a "history" book about Derry if King wrote one.

Agreed. I just finished reading It for the first time and would love to read either Fricke's Old Derry-Town or Michaud's History of Derry.

For whatever reason, I never read much King growing up...once on vacation I found a compilation of Carrie, The Shining and Salem's Lot but didn't really love any of them, and a couple years ago I plowed through The Stand and enjoyed that a little more. I read 11/22/63 last year and absolutely loved it, and since then I've read Under the Dome (really enjoyed until the end), Everything's Eventual (loved) and now, It (also loved). Where should I go from here? I'm planning on reading The Running Man because I love the movie (I know it's not really the same), and I've looked through the last few pages of the thread and added Duma Key, The Talisman and Black House, Needful Things, Full Dark No Stars, Just After Sunset, and 20th Century Ghosts to my "to read" list - what else should be on there?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The running man is good. The long walk is better.

Both are a lot different from his standard fare, and like most of the Bachman books, they are bleak as hell.

The dead Zone will probably tickle your fancy too.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

The Human Cow posted:

Agreed. I just finished reading It for the first time and would love to read either Fricke's Old Derry-Town or Michaud's History of Derry.

For whatever reason, I never read much King growing up...once on vacation I found a compilation of Carrie, The Shining and Salem's Lot but didn't really love any of them, and a couple years ago I plowed through The Stand and enjoyed that a little more. I read 11/22/63 last year and absolutely loved it, and since then I've read Under the Dome (really enjoyed until the end), Everything's Eventual (loved) and now, It (also loved). Where should I go from here? I'm planning on reading The Running Man because I love the movie (I know it's not really the same), and I've looked through the last few pages of the thread and added Duma Key, The Talisman and Black House, Needful Things, Full Dark No Stars, Just After Sunset, and 20th Century Ghosts to my "to read" list - what else should be on there?

Get Different Seasons and some of his short stories, like Skeleton Crew.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

ConfusedUs posted:

The running man is good. The long walk is better.

Both are a lot different from his standard fare, and like most of the Bachman books, they are bleak as hell.

The dead Zone will probably tickle your fancy too.

Ooh, I forgot about The Long Walk. I read that and really dug it.

joepinetree posted:

Get Different Seasons and some of his short stories, like Skeleton Crew.

I'll check out these, too. Thanks.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
Just finished the last 6 books of The Dark Tower for the first time, which brings me entirely up to date on published King books. Had a long road trip and nothing to do on morning commutes.

King writes some incredible characters. I miss all of them, except the actual Crimson King who was boring. Also, the ending. I'm moderately annoyed about the ending. Not going to spoiler text it because I haven't marshaled my thoughts, but yeah, annoyed. It's certainly King playing to type - start strong, end weak. I'm aware there are other interpretations, but not for me, yet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If/when you get the Running Man, skip any introduction King may have written for new editions. I didn't, and I got spoiled on the ending by King himself. :argh:

It's a way cool story, though, and different enough from the film where I have zero issue saying I love both. They're just too different to compare in any meaningful way.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If/when you get the Running Man, skip any introduction King may have written for new editions. I didn't, and I got spoiled on the ending by King himself. :argh:

It's a way cool story, though, and different enough from the film where I have zero issue saying I love both. They're just too different to compare in any meaningful way.

Both the Running Man and Rage foreshadowed controversial crimes that happened later in history and he felt the need to address that to dispel rumors that he was some kind of time travelling wizard.

You have to find a used copy of The Bachman Books to even read Rage in print, now.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Human Cow posted:

Christine and From a Buick 8. Pet Sematary, maybe. Avoid Cujo and Firestarter if you don't like his early work that much. Bag of Bones would fit your tastes, I think, as it's kind of a "small town profile" type of book but more focused on a protagonist than, say, Under the Dome. All of The Bachman Books are worth a read - see if you can find that compilation in a used bookstore, maybe. Different Seasons has been mentioned but I'll reemphasize it - Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption is top-tier. On a prison note, The Green Mile is quite good as well. You would probably enjoy Hearts in Atlantis - it's got a very Everything's Eventual feel to it.

In other words, almost everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Both the Running Man and Rage foreshadowed controversial crimes that happened later in history and he felt the need to address that to dispel rumors that he was some kind of time travelling wizard.

You have to find a used copy of The Bachman Books to even read Rage in print, now.

The Bachman Books is the one Stephen King book I will never get rid of for that very reason. What was the Running Man future crime?