Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If anyone is having trouble fighting the armored knights in Tower of Flame: buy the mace from the blacksmith. Seriously, it takes 12 strength and some dex to use but it absolutely wrecks armored foes. Other blunt weapons work too but mace has good strength scaling and low requirements. If you upgrade it and level strength a bit more it can easily carry you through most of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Cool, thanks for the roll info.

Unrelatedly, I hate being summoned and then dying for stupid poo poo really, really early. Just makes me feel embarrassed.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

PirateBob posted:

Is it possible to jump without sprinting? Vault over poo poo? :confused:

No. Your only other "jumping" option is to sprint off the edge and hope you fall on something before you die. If there's rubble in your way, you either have to find another way or hope it's breakable stuff like crates.

Or find an illusory wall. :haw:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I might not be able to invade people but I can still be an rear end in a top hat. I managed to get my host to murder an NPC as a shade using gestures. He talked to the guy and then I kept spamming "no way". Then he hit him once so I started spamming "pumped up", and he took it as a sign to continue with the murder.

Even as a shade, my dickwraith spirit lives on.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
:stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, so I found a magic mace in a room with a skeleton that just doesn't stay dead. The gently caress's up with him? There was something spitting out a status effect gas so I got out of there. It's next to the third bonfire in the huntsmans copse or w/e.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

If anyone is having trouble fighting the armored knights in Tower of Flame: buy the mace from the blacksmith. Seriously, it takes 12 strength and some dex to use but it absolutely wrecks armored foes. Other blunt weapons work too but mace has good strength scaling and low requirements. If you upgrade it and level strength a bit more it can easily carry you through most of the game.

The mace (well, dual maces in particular) is the "best" weapon in the game and is the go-to weapon for speedruns, it will carry you through the entire game, not just most of it :D It does absolutely insane damage, its only downside is short reach, but it can stunlock most enemies in the game so that's not as big of a problem.

e: ^^^ The skeleton that won't stay dead works like in DS1, There's a necromancer nearby resurrecting skeletons.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 25, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, so I found a magic mace in a room with a skeleton that just doesn't stay dead. The gently caress's up with him? There was something spitting out a status effect gas so I got out of there. It's next to the third bonfire in the huntsmans copse or w/e.

Didn't you see that laughing urn with a face? That's full of occult necrobrew. Smash the loving thing!

Garbo
May 30, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

There is something reviving the skeleton. Also, its not gas, its a curse.

I have my own question. I'm trying to use a Halberd on my playthrough but its degrading significantly quicker than my other weapons with similar durability. My 70 durability sword might last me through an entire area and only be at half health but after 2ish fights my 70 durability Halberd only has 1/3rd or so durability remaining. Am I missing something or is the first Halberd you get just wicked fragile?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

That's a "curse jar" (don't know the official name). They will curse you unless you break them, which in DS2 just means you'll go hollow like you would if you die. If you hear evil giggling, there's probably one or more around.

As for the skeletons, there's a necromancer constantly resurrecting them deeper in the cave. Kill him and the skeletons can be perma-killed.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Garbo posted:

There is something reviving the skeleton. Also, its not gas, its a curse.

I have my own question. I'm trying to use a Halberd on my playthrough but its degrading significantly quicker than my other weapons with similar durability. My 70 durability sword might last me through an entire area and only be at half health but after 2ish fights my 70 durability Halberd only has 1/3rd or so durability remaining. Am I missing something or is the first Halberd you get just wicked fragile?

Hitting a wall with your weapon tears through its durability, which is hard to manage with a Halberd because it has so much range that even the r1 overhead smash will often clip the roof. This is what stopped my Halberd runthrough :smith:

Garbo
May 30, 2011

A.C. posted:

Hitting a wall with your weapon tears through its durability, which is hard to manage with a Halberd because it has so much range that even the r1 overhead smash will often clip the roof. This is what stopped my Halberd runthrough :smith:

Thats probably it. Kind of annoying since the Halberd has kind of low versatility to start with. Kind of frustrating that it feels like my melee build is once again going to funnel towards Greatswords.

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anybody using the name-engraved ring? Not sure whether I should bother buying it yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ah, killed the necromancer but there wasn't anything back there but a gate locked from the other side. Was hoping I'd find the key to the bonfire.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Are the controls for this using an xbox controller on PC really finnicky or am I just dumb and bad? I can't get the guard break or jump attacks to fire at all. :saddowns:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Ah, killed the necromancer but there wasn't anything back there but a gate locked from the other side. Was hoping I'd find the key to the bonfire.

To get the key start at the locked door, go across the bridge in front of it and just follow the cliff around until you hit the boss door. Also there is more in that cave, you just have to keep looking around outside.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

loving No Man's Wharf. So many stupid deaths. :saddowns:

My favorite was the one where I thought I was clever and dropped down on one of the archers on the balcony. I killed him and was then greeted by a dual scimitar man... then another dual scimitar man... and another... I think there were four of those guys at once, and since I was on a narrow balcony there was absolutely no way to get out alive.

On another run I killed every enemy in the area (including twenty or so spider monkeys that were hostile because I hadn't lit the big lantern) and got to the boss, only to get them to 10% health and then die. Sure was fun to go through the whole level again... and again... and again because I kept getting frustrated. :suicide: (at least I eventually lit the lantern)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Garbo posted:

Thats probably it. Kind of annoying since the Halberd has kind of low versatility to start with. Kind of frustrating that it feels like my melee build is once again going to funnel towards Greatswords.

Each weapon actually has two separate hitboxes, one for the "blade" and one for the "hilt", if that makes sense. Part of what made me hate the halberd so much is that the "blade" hitbox is purely the actual metal blade at the end - realistically, it makes sense, but this means that to actually do max damage you need to be far enough away to hit with that part of the weapon instead of the pole itself. This complicates the breakage problem because if the actual blade hits a wall, corpse, or scenery or whatever it takes a lot of durability damage, but if the pole itself hits something it's not that big of a deal. The blade also doesn't ricochet off walls, but the pole does. The whole thing makes the halberd super frustrating to use because you would swing at an enemy, clip the scenery and not even notice it, and then later on have a broken halberd. I realized how much I hated it while fighting OIK because I would keep getting really close to him and then only doing half the damage I should have been doing because I hit with the wrong part of the weapon. Stuff like the Greatsword doesn't have this problem because the hilt is really short and most of the weapon is the Blade.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
People earlier kept saying you could find 4 total estus before the first boss. I've found 3 Well, mansion basement, upstairs from the 2nd bonfire in the tower

Where's #4? I've looked friggin EVERYWHERE

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

OH NO MAN posted:

loving No Man's Wharf. So many stupid deaths. :saddowns:

My favorite was the one where I thought I was clever and dropped down on one of the archers on the balcony. I killed him and was then greeted by a dual scimitar man... then another dual scimitar man... and another... I think there were four of those guys at once, and since I was on a narrow balcony there was absolutely no way to get out alive.

On another run I killed every enemy in the area (including twenty or so spider monkeys that were hostile because I hadn't lit the big lantern) and got to the boss, only to get them to 10% health and then die. Sure was fun to go through the whole level again... and again... and again because I kept getting frustrated. :suicide: (at least I eventually lit the lantern)

Don't know if you've found it, but there is a way to open that little metal door next to the house with the two archers on the roof. It'll save a little bit of time on the way to the boss (not a lot though until the area stops respawning).

MrTheDevious posted:

People earlier kept saying you could find 4 total estus before the first boss. I've found 3 Well, mansion basement, upstairs from the 2nd bonfire in the tower

Wait sorry, you have the well one already. Maybe I'm misremembering because I swear I had 4. :shrug:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 25, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

That's it, they probably meant four charges (three shards).

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I climbed up a ladder in a castle and saw a crow drop off a huge shiny knight.

I then got knocked off the ladder by an enemy that snuck up behind me.

When i dealt with him and climbed up the ladder again, the crow took the knight and flew away. :saddowns:

He never returned.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrTheDevious posted:

You start with one :downs: 4 total estus, not 4 total shards.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

HenryEx posted:

When i dealt with him and climbed up the ladder again, the crow took the knight and flew away. :saddowns:

He never returned.

Wondering about this as well.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HenryEx posted:

He never returned.

He'll come back later in another part of the area. That's just an early optional encounter, but he'll leave if you leave the platform. There's a reason he's called "The Pursuer." :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm convinced the Bluebros have had their counter-invasion timer decreased. I've invaded five people in a row and their buddy has appeared within twenty seconds, at most, of me invading.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

dis astranagant posted:

I hate to be all "you're playing the game wrong" :colbert: But if you really don't take the time to explore you're missing half the game.

That key is in plain loving sight.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Pro-tip from a console player: Wear life protection rings and save your Human Effigies there's a fun area in the late game that you'll die a lot in that requires 1 effigy per attempt

Any big changes on the PC version versus the PS3/360?

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm convinced the Bluebros have had their counter-invasion timer decreased. I've invaded five people in a row and their buddy has appeared within twenty seconds, at most, of me invading.

It's probably from people having faster machines. Load times in DS1 on the PC were near instant for me while Demon Soul's on PS3 felt just as slow as Dark Souls 2.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 25, 2014

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

NeurosisHead posted:

Are the controls for this using an xbox controller on PC really finnicky or am I just dumb and bad? I can't get the guard break or jump attacks to fire at all. :saddowns:

I don't think it has anything to do with the xbox controller on the PC - the window for doing those combo moves is just much smaller than it is on other games. Especially if you are the kind of PC gamer that rarely uses gamepads it is very frustrating at first.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Zaphod42 posted:

You start with one :downs: 4 total estus, not 4 total shards.

Oh hahah thanks :saddowns:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

He never returned.

Yes yes yes we talk about this on every page you fight him again later keep going

Kimmalah posted:

There's a reason he's called "The Pursuer." :v:

This game really just requires a little bit of thought and everything is explained.

But if its not in flashing neon numbers that yell at the player, modern gamers don't even notice. :smith:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Don't know if you've found it, but there is a way to open that little metal door next to the house with the two archers on the roof. It'll save a little bit of time on the way to the boss (not a lot though until the area stops respawning).
Yeah, I found the shortcut while exploring, the NPC summon sign is right next to it. I did eventually get through the area and the boss without bumbling to my death, that next bonfire was such a welcome sight.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

You people are really bad at dark souls. Slow down, explore more.

That key is in plain loving sight.

Well he's right that the key isn't in the cave. But true that there is a whole area he's apparently not touched.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Hahahaha oh my god goddamn it From why did you change the moveset of the longsword? I was hoping there was going to be a straight thrust secondary like the shortsword but then I hit R2 and I get this sweeping attack.

Don't loving tell me I gotta carry a shortsword to the end of the game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Fight? I wanted to talk with him! He didn't attack me, at least.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Sober posted:

Hahahaha oh my god goddamn it From why did you change the moveset of the longsword? I was hoping there was going to be a straight thrust secondary like the shortsword but then I hit R2 and I get this sweeping attack.

Switch to 2H for a thrust

e: I think roll+R1 is a thrust too?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sober posted:

Two-handed R2 is a thrust.

e: :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sober posted:

Yeah they changed a few movesets which wasn't super cool at first, but the thing is like every single weapon from DS1 returns (except dragon bone fist) and there's lots of new weapons.

So if the longsword doesn't work like you want anymore, odds are there's another new straight sword that does.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes yes yes we talk about this on every page you fight him again later keep going

This game really just requires a little bit of thought and everything is explained.

But if its not in flashing neon numbers that yell at the player, modern gamers don't even notice. :smith:

Well they don't tell you he's called the Pursuer. Looked like a miniboss and I was a bit disappointed I haven't seen him since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Whoever wrote this is a lovely man or woman :3: