Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Tentacle Party posted:

Do they give you guidelines? Like it must be .40 and 10 rounds? Or can you go out and buy a single action army in drop holster.

9, 40, 45 & 38 ammo is supplied by the department, if you want some crazy moon rounds like 357 sig, or 45 gap have at it, but you're bringing your own bullets. You can carry pretty much whatever as long as it's on the approved manufacturer list, which is extensive. It would be easier to list the manufacturers they don't allow (kel tec, hi-point, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Cool, my Deagle arrives tomorrow.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Neo Duckberg posted:

Cool, my Deagle arrives tomorrow.

Good luck finding a level 3 retention holster :wotwot:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Harry in Rio posted:

My question is this, for US and Canadian cops: would you work for a police agency that did not issue you a sidearm?

Private handgun ownership in Canada is a bit more complicated: without a private carry license (which for all practical purposes don't exist) all an off-duty member can do with a handgun is leave it locked and unloaded in a secure container, even when transporting it to the range. If I owned it I'd be responsible for protecting it so I was happy to let the drat thing remain my department's problem.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does traffic slow down often around you guys? I don't mean like people going above the limit and slowing down to the limit, I mean as much as 10 below the limit.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I hope I'm not straying too close to gun-control talk, but I'm surprised to read that UK police do not carry guns. I had always thought that they didn't wear them, but they did have them at the ready (locked in the car or something).

Do all U.S. departments require police to carry sidearms? Would any of the American copgoons even be willing to patrol without one?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Leal posted:

Does traffic slow down often around you guys? I don't mean like people going above the limit and slowing down to the limit, I mean as much as 10 below the limit.

Yeah I've always wonder about that. Do you chuckle when you see people slow down to a crawl when they see you under an overpass? Because as a motorist that annoys the hell out of me.

SrgMagnum
Nov 12, 2007
Got old money, could buy a dinosaur

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah I've always wonder about that. Do you chuckle when you see people slow down to a crawl when they see you under an overpass? Because as a motorist that annoys the hell out of me.

Every. Single. Time.

There are times it can be aggravating as hell to have everyone around you decide to show you how legally they can drive. Especially when they insist on doing it in the left lane while you're running to a priority call.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

PostNouveau posted:

I hope I'm not straying too close to gun-control talk, but I'm surprised to read that UK police do not carry guns. I had always thought that they didn't wear them, but they did have them at the ready (locked in the car or something).

Do all U.S. departments require police to carry sidearms? Would any of the American copgoons even be willing to patrol without one?

That's kind of what I was asking in my original question. I knew a cop at the University of Delaware that carried a Makarov, because they had to furnish their own firearms.

What I really meant is if you'd be a cop that doesn't carry a gun.

There was such a thing as the uniform allowance in some departments that didn't issue sidearms - that would allow (and compensate you for ammo; for the piece, qualifying ammo and duty loads) a personal preference for a sidearm. Later it got amended by many departments when they issued an approved list of firearms. I'd find this more in the smaller departments that I supplied for ammo when I worked for Federal Cartridge. I remember one occasion when I made a house call for body armor to a small department on the Eastern Shore in Maryland and they had two cops, one was packing a SAA Colt in 44-40 (hooked him up with Black Hills)and his son was packing a Remington-Rand 1911 in 45 ACP. I've seen some oddball calibers - 41 Mag in Nebraska, a department in West Virginia that still hung on to 10mm forever (even in their subguns), and even one sheriff's department that had 45 ACP revolvers.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

SrgMagnum posted:

Every. Single. Time.

There are times it can be aggravating as hell to have everyone around you decide to show you how legally they can drive. Especially when they insist on doing it in the left lane while you're running to a priority call.

To be fair the pigs in Australia have a revenue gathering quota, so its pretty much open season to match speed with all the 'responsible' motorists when a cop is trapped behind you.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

I would bet that every US cop carries a gun. And given how many guns are out there I wouldn't want to not have one. Other than felons, i've never met a person in my county who didn't own at least one gun.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

College police may or may not have firearms depending on the school.

College police aren't REAL police

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
can you even find a retention holster for a makarov? I love me some milsurp but I don't know if i'd rely on one in a gun fight.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)

Motherfucker posted:

To be fair the pigs in Australia have a revenue gathering quota, so its pretty much open season to match speed with all the 'responsible' motorists when a cop is trapped behind you.

Tell me more about this quota I'm supposed to be meeting.

Noeland
Feb 28, 2006

Tentacle Party posted:

Tell me more about this quota I'm supposed to be meeting.

Its the special quota that everyone know exists but everyone knows police will deny. You know, quotas. (The Master at Arms onboard the carrier I was on actually had quotas for uniform violations, but that wasn't a sane place.)

On that note, does the situation where "Its not a quota, but I want to see results." happen often, if at all?

Branis
Apr 14, 2006
your sheriff or chief is going to expect you to do work, if that means going to calls or writing tickets or whatever, just something to show you arent hiding behind the grocery store or sitting at home your entire shift.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
I've only ever written out 1 traffic ticket, because the person was a jerk and also I had to write at least 1 to finish my probation training.

PND's (disorderly conduct tickets) on the other hand, I give out like a pedophile handing out sweets at a playground. Here in good old London we have no shortage of people shooting fireworks at buildings or being drunk arseholes.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

College police may or may not have firearms depending on the school.

Fighting words right there.

Of course if you ask GBS, bike cops and evidence tech's aren't cops either, I guess. Neither are the squirrel... I mean park police!

The Shep fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 25, 2014

RichieHimself
May 27, 2004

No way dude, she looks like Gargamel.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Does that mean campus police don't have the same powers as city officers? Or are they not real police the same way people in the national guard aren't real soldiers?

Just curious because my school is in a terrible neighborhood and the campus police patrol the surrounding neighborhoods because people keep getting robbed and/or murdered.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

RichieHimself posted:

Does that mean campus police don't have the same powers as city officers? Or are they not real police the same way people in the national guard aren't real soldiers?

Just curious because my school is in a terrible neighborhood and the campus police patrol the surrounding neighborhoods because people keep getting robbed and/or murdered.

Seriousposting here: Whip was referring to a longstanding joke. At a minimum, expect your college police to have the same authority as the property owner to identify, detain or expel anyone on campus, as well as to stop a crime in progress on or in relation to campus grounds. Some of them are also peace officers on top of that, and others are bona fide police.

The takeaway is that loving with campus cops is a bad idea no matter where you find them unless you are 100% dead-certain that they do not have authority in that particular place.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
The campus cops in my town are real police but they are pretty worthless.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Do you (cops) believe that your life is more precious than non-cops? Seems the penal code thinks so.

This guy shot a cop who lived and was given life in prison + 53 years. The cop survived. It was a bad shooting, granted. The perp hit the cop in the face and the cop cannot shut one eye and is deaf in one ear.

(citation http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/25/gray-gets-life-sentence-shooting-officer/8146575/ )

Then we have a guy who straight up cold blooded murders a dude. Planned it, followed the guy around, freakin' executed the guy.

( citation http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/25/wilton-park-shooter-gets-life-plus/8149089/ )

Dude was only given Life + 25 for murder.

I'm sure you're all aware of the pedestal that law enforcement gets placed on when it comes to justice. You get preferential treatment - paid administrative leave, union lawyers and what not. My question is this.. do you regret that you are treated better by the legal system and if so, how would you change it? It doesn't take an awful lot of searching to find dirty cops repeatedly being given their jobs back in spite of their actions.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Way to load the question :thumbsup:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Harry in Rio posted:

Do you (cops) believe that your life is more precious than non-cops? Seems the penal code thinks so.

This guy shot a cop who lived and was given life in prison + 53 years. The cop survived. It was a bad shooting, granted. The perp hit the cop in the face and the cop cannot shut one eye and is deaf in one ear.

(citation http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/25/gray-gets-life-sentence-shooting-officer/8146575/ )

Then we have a guy who straight up cold blooded murders a dude. Planned it, followed the guy around, freakin' executed the guy.

( citation http://www.delawareonline.com/story/news/crime/2014/04/25/wilton-park-shooter-gets-life-plus/8149089/ )

Dude was only given Life + 25 for murder.

I'm sure you're all aware of the pedestal that law enforcement gets placed on when it comes to justice. You get preferential treatment - paid administrative leave, union lawyers and what not. My question is this.. do you regret that you are treated better by the legal system and if so, how would you change it? It doesn't take an awful lot of searching to find dirty cops repeatedly being given their jobs back in spite of their actions.

so they both got life sentences?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

krispykremessuck posted:

so they both got life sentences?

This is more of a law question but why the gently caress do they tack on extra years to life sentences? It make no loving sense. You're stuck there for life, why does adding 25 or 53 years to it matter?

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Way to load the question :thumbsup:

I was just wondering if some cops carried around a condition similar to white guilt, like "supercitizen syndrome" or whatever. How do you cope with an officer, like for example, Jonathan Josey, of the Philadelphia Police. He was fired by the police commissioner. The video of his assault on a woman was all over the internet. He gets a loaded court (with a judge married to a cop) and comes back to work.

How do you treat a fellow employee who was rightfully fired and has a history of unlawfully assaulting people? Do you just treat him like anyone else, or pray he stays away from you, or do you keep a watchful eye on a rogue cop?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Harry in Rio posted:

Asked and answered in one of this thread's previous incarnations. The short version is the higher penalties are the government's attempt to discourage people from attacking us.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This is more of a law question but why the gently caress do they tack on extra years to life sentences? It make no loving sense. You're stuck there for life, why does adding 25 or 53 years to it matter?

Because this will reflect the seriousness of their offense should some future action make them eligible for probation. (Delaware has done away with parole. I believe that there's a handful of people that are still on active parole - so few that Delaware has rolled the parolees into probation programs. It's essentially the same thing here, anyway.)

Anyway about the extra time, it's happened - a governor is petitioned to grant clemency to a long timer who was a model inmate, and the extra time the receive is indicative of the heinous nature of the offense.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

Asked and answered in one of this thread's previous incarnations. The short version is the higher penalties are the government's attempt to discourage people from attacking us.

That doesn't answer the question. The question was, how do you feel? Do you feel it's right to impose more/less penalties on someone because of their job title?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Generally people who 'value their lives more highly than others' wouldn't go out of their way to put themselves in situations (or careers) where they're more likely to be victims of violence.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Harry in Rio posted:

I was just wondering if some cops carried around a condition similar to white guilt, like "supercitizen syndrome" or whatever. How do you cope with an officer, like for example, Jonathan Josey, of the Philadelphia Police. He was fired by the police commissioner. The video of his assault on a woman was all over the internet. He gets a loaded court (with a judge married to a cop) and comes back to work.

How do you treat a fellow employee who was rightfully fired and has a history of unlawfully assaulting people? Do you just treat him like anyone else, or pray he stays away from you, or do you keep a watchful eye on a rogue cop?

I'm not a cop so I don't want to put words in other peoples mouth but I imagine that what with unions and other poo poo you pretty much just avoid that person and hope to not have to deal with them. alternatively maybe there was more to it than the video? I'm not familiar with the case, and despite my (at best) disdain for most cops (especially whip, the pollack bastard) I'd be really hesitant to pass judgment unless I'd been present at the trial

e: tbqh I'm not even sure what you're getting at here, but if you're asking or implying that cops should be taking a principled stand against a departmental or court decision while potentially putting their livelihood at stake, that's pretty silly and ignores a whole host of factors beyond "did this guy do something wrong"

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 25, 2014

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

^^Yeah, you hear a lot of "I don't know the guy personally" or "I wasn't there, as long as he can shoot straight and write a clean report I don't care." If a guy's a sex offender or weirdo or something like that, he may not be able to tolerate his work environment for long enough to do any more damage.

Harry in Rio posted:

That doesn't answer the question. The question was, how do you feel? Do you feel it's right to impose more/less penalties on someone because of their job title?

I thought the question was

quote:

Do you (cops) believe that your life is more precious than non-cops?

No one life is worth more than another. The higher penalty is there to discourage people from screwing with the state's ability to exert its will. Cops are expensive to train & equip, and they can only protect the public if they're healthy. The government gets justifiably upset when somebody starts breaking them.

"Paid administrative leave" is most definitely not a perk. It's not a vacation so much as it's a rollercoaster through PTSD and lawyers and managerial bullshit and weeks or months of legal peril and degradation. I imagine a small part of the reason these people aren't allowed to come to work is to stop them from going berserk in the office. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

Thanks for the answers. I've learned quite a bit.

Thanks for your service and if you're ever on paid administrative leave you should keep a journal of the experience and publish it, you know, provided it doesn't incriminate you in any way.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A retired Ottawa cop did just that! He's a great public speaker and we were lucky to hear what he had to say while we were still kids in community college (which was a prerequisite for aspiring cops back then) and years away from our own critical incidents. I don't remember a lot of my formal training but I remember that speech.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 25, 2014

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
EFB

The intent of laws that specify higher penalties for crimes against public officials (police, etc) aren't generally put in place because of the "value of a life" but to discourage crimes against those people because they're obligated by their work to place themselves in harms way. I'm not sure about other jurisdictions but the Police Acts and Peace Officer Acts that I'm familiar with mostly have language that obligates an officer to interject into violent crimes. The enhanced penalties for attacking a public servant who is in the execution of their duties are usually intended to enhance public order by deterring resistance to the public servant's lawful actions.

And no, nobody who I work with has ever indicated to me that they felt guilty about increased sentences for crimes against public officials. I believe that the intent of the laws are to enhance public safety in general, so I don't particularly feel special. And sentences up here aren't spectacularly different anyways. I've seen Assault PO convictions receive a fine or probation about as often as they receive a prison sentence.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

A retired Ottawa cop did just that! He's a great public speaker and we were lucky to hear what he had to say while we were still kids in community college (which was a prerequisite for aspiring cops back then) and years away from our own critical incidents. I don't remember a lot of my formal training but I remember that speech.

that sounds like an interesting read but GODDAMN if that isn't one goofy looking motherfucker :eyepop:

edit: also, keep in mind that (in louisiana at least) the harsher penalties on murdering a cop isn't just for cops.. it extends to firemen, lab techs, civilian police employees, children/the elderly, any person who holds a legal restraining order against the suspect, states witnesses (and the family members of states witnesses), taxicab drivers, and a whole host of various federal employees.

beanieson fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 25, 2014

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

Has a cop goon ever acted on information he got from the forums? (Like bust a tcc poster trying to push drugs across state lines.)

I've managed to stop one or two people from committing suicide, not on this particular forum though. One was in the USA, one in the UK. The US guy got carted away in an ambulance because he tried to slit his wrists and the UK guy was cut down from a tree in his back garden, both pretty close calls!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Hezzy posted:

I've managed to stop one or two people from committing suicide, not on this particular forum though. One was in the USA, one in the UK. The US guy got carted away in an ambulance because he tried to slit his wrists and the UK guy was cut down from a tree in his back garden, both pretty close calls!

I'm trying to think of how you'd even write up a warrant for something that gets discussed in TCC. I'd think that it would be more like someone doing some serious internet detective work and a tip to their local agency, but if it's just some dude talking about smuggling weed, I doubt it'd even be worth the effort.

I remember a few years ago, someone was posting pictures of some European women who was posting really horrific photos of self-mutilation, and some goon figured out who she was and either contacted her directly or notified emergency services in her area despite everyone pleading with him not to do so. I don't recall how that all played out, though.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

suboptimal posted:

I'm trying to think of how you'd even write up a warrant for something that gets discussed in TCC. I'd think that it would be more like someone doing some serious internet detective work and a tip to their local agency, but if it's just some dude talking about smuggling weed, I doubt it'd even be worth the effort.

I remember a few years ago, someone was posting pictures of some European women who was posting really horrific photos of self-mutilation, and some goon figured out who she was and either contacted her directly or notified emergency services in her area despite everyone pleading with him not to do so. I don't recall how that all played out, though.

I would imagine they have to balance the quality of the intelligence received versus what they gain to benefit from executing a warrant on an address. If there's some person posting about smoking a bowl then the effort would be disproportionate to the gain. However if it is a guy posting about supply or trying to sell it then it is probably a different matter.

I vaguely remember that, IIRC the cops got to her house and nobody heard from her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Hezzy posted:

I vaguely remember that, IIRC the cops got to her house and nobody heard from her again.

They probably mistook her tv remote for a gun :holymoley:

• Locked thread