Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pierson posted:

Speaking of online is there anything that would keep me from seeing other people's summon signs but keep myself able to be summoned? Trying tot take down a certain trio and there are zero white signs in the entire zone, even though I can put down my own and not only be summoned instantly but the world master will already have a second white phantom 50% of the time.

I think you need to be fully human? Ala Dark Souls 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

There's another way into the giant hole that doesn't require jumping that you'll find later, which is probably the "proper" method, although using the cat ring is definitely the first solution everybody thinks of.

You can try stacking more health to survive it, or wait till later, or get the slow fall spell, or whatever.

Something not immediately obvious is that fall damage is based on a percentage of your overall maximum health. If you're too hollowed you'll never survive dropping into the pit.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Songbearer posted:

Whoever wrote this is a lovely man or woman :3:

That's my message! Its up to like 300 "likes" now which is rad except the notifications are getting overwhelming.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This game is really pretty. I mean regardless of the quality of the graphics, the enviornment designs are just great.

Admittedly, I'm a sucker for ocean vistas. Of course every beautiful scene is littered with the blood stains of a dozen clumsy players. I saw several bloodstains that consisted of people managing to run off the dock into the water. Given this comes right after beating a boss, I can only imagine how horribly dumb that must feel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks for all the help man! I'll see what I can do!

So if I offer my help by putting summoning runes next to the entrance of the boss right?

Yes!

Some people prefer to put their sign right outside the boss, because then its very clearly "I want to fight this boss, not be summoned for another boss in this area, or just to help you dick around" and also because it saves time. Get summoned, fight boss.

Other people prefer to summon near bonfires, so you can travel to the boss together safely, and because its easier to get to if you're lazy and you just got out of being summoned or whatever.

Try placing it different places and see what happens! And try your best to communicate with hosts using gestures. (I guess you can use voice chat too or whatever :rolleyes:)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kimmalah posted:

Heide is pretty much your main route. However, if you beat the Pursuer, there is another option.

If you go to the area in Forest of Fallen Giants where you fight him with the ballistas, there's a big bird's nest there. Go to it ans his bird will take you to a new area. But it's tough too, so that's your call. The big guys in Heide are actually not bad once you get their timing. Big and very slow.

I went this way and totally forgot about the door in the temple to get to Heide. I am now in Sinner's and have joined the Bell Tower. Still using a Longsword, really wanting an Iaito or something. I will have to go check out the Tower because holy poo poo, gently caress going anywhere in that water at the bottom of the elevator.

I thought I was stuck between that area and those loving Gargoyles on the roof. I didn't know FROM could make a boss that was more of a dickhead than Maneater. I was wrong. :negative:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Logan 5 posted:

Ugh I'm really enjoying some parts of this game but having major difficulties with others. My number one issue right now though is where the hell do I go after killing the last giant? I think I opened all the doors the soldier's key can open, is my only option killing the pursuer at this point? Cause that guy wrecks my poo poo.

You're done there now. Go back to Majula and explore for other areas.

Alternatively Did you defeat the Pursuer? The key can open the fight to him, and then after him there's a way opened to another zone...Although that zone is technically for later

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Logan 5 posted:

Ugh I'm really enjoying some parts of this game but having major difficulties with others. My number one issue right now though is where the hell do I go after killing the last giant? I think I opened all the doors the soldier's key can open, is my only option killing the pursuer at this point? Cause that guy wrecks my poo poo.

You can always go back to Majula and explore other options.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Seems to me that after the Sentinels the number of people putting down signs really dropped. I was summoned instantly for the Old Sinner but had trouble finding anyone to summon myself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

Speaking of online is there anything that would keep me from seeing other people's summon signs but keep myself able to be summoned? Trying tot take down a certain trio and there are zero white signs in the entire zone, even though I can put down my own and not only be summoned instantly but the world master will already have a second white phantom 50% of the time.

You must be fully human.

You can either eat a human effigy (Don't burn it at a bonfire! That does something different)

or you can put down your sign to help others co-op, and if you win you'll be humanized.

Dark Souls works on a pay it forward scheme; you can help others, and if you do, then you're humanized and allowed to get help in return for free.

Or if you don't want to help others and just want help right now, then you can eat an effigy.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Fuzz posted:

I went this way and totally forgot about the door in the temple to get to Heide. I am now in Sinner's and have joined the Bell Tower. Still using a Longsword, really wanting an Iaito or something. I will have to go check out the Tower because holy poo poo, gently caress going anywhere in that water at the bottom of the elevator.

I thought I was stuck between that area and those loving Gargoyles on the roof. I didn't know FROM could make a boss that was more of a dickhead than Maneater. I was wrong. :negative:

Too bad, no Iaito this time - the Blacksteel Katana has a similar moveset though.
Keep going through Sinner's Rise you nerd.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The weird thing being, you have to be fully human to invade too, right? So you have to help others, to harm others. Yin, yang.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fuzz posted:

You may want to go back and do Heide's. It leads into another area, which then leads back into the same area you're in now, but from another direction.

There's lots of non-linearity and alternate paths in Dark Souls.

But you'll want to go do those easier zones now rather than doing the harder zones now, or they'll be too easy later.

But feel free to skip through and do whatever you like :)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

The weird thing being, you have to be fully human to invade too, right? So you have to help others, to harm others. Yin, yang.

Yes. I would have liked it if you could invade while hollow so you can get humanity back by killing the host of another world, like Demon's Souls. Would have been nicer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Seems to me that after the Sentinels the number of people putting down signs really dropped. I was summoned instantly for the Old Sinner but had trouble finding anyone to summon myself.

Most people who haven't played already from console aren't going to get that far in a single day.

Hell dude, I"m still at work :v:

This weekend there'll be lots of people pushing through all the way to the end.

Cowcaster posted:

yeah I think so. Thing is, by halfway through the game you'll have lots of human effigies.

Also, I don't think you need to be human to invade using rat-clan or bell keepers. Rat-clan is best pvp in the game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is it just me or are the bosses in this game really easy? I've beaten like 15 bosses now and I haven't really had problems with any them. Even bosses that have multiple bosses at one like the ruin sentinels or the bell gargoyles felt easy to zone out and deal with.

Is it just because I'm more experienced after the first DS (never played Demon's souls) or is the game actually easier?

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
So has anyone else tried Durante's new downsampling tool yet? I tried it @ 3840x2400 downsampled to 1920x1200 w/ the rest of the settings at default and had absolutely zero performance loss on my 3-year-old system (i5-2500K, Radeon 6950). It was 60 fps before and 60 fps now. :dance:

And it adjusted colors and contrast in a way that seems in the spirit of the atmosphere of the pre-release footage. Game seriously looks even better now (to me at least). Some before/after shots.

B:

A:

B:

A:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I've had it with this lovely Falchion, i'm getting Zweihänder withdrawal. I saw it in a loading screen, i know it's in the game. Please tell me i can get it in a timely fashion after, let's say, the first boss or even before that.

Or really, any Greatsword / UGS would be fine, but i need to smash my enemies instead of twirling around them ineffectually.

Scared of going to any wikis or the like, 'cause i'm trying to stay pure. But i REALLY NEED A ZWEIHÄNDER.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

Is it just me or are the bosses in this game really easy? I've beaten like 15 bosses now and I haven't really had problems with any them. Even bosses that have multiple bosses at one like the ruin sentinels or the bell gargoyles felt easy to zone out and deal with.

Is it just because I'm more experienced after the first DS (never played Demon's souls) or is the game actually easier?

Some of the bosses aren't that hard, but it can be pretty challenging. Are you playing solo?

If you were playing on like NG++++ it should still be different and fresh, but if you're just really good it may not challange you that much.

At the very least :ssh: In NG+, this time around, things are actually changed up more. Its not just more stat points, there's actually new enemy placement and bosses are harder. So you have that to look forward to?

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
Any reason why my achievments don't pop-up or notify when they happen in game? They are getting unlocked, but it'd be nice to get them, when I get them, rather than check my steam profile after play session.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

HenryEx posted:

I've had it with this lovely Falchion, i'm getting Zweihänder withdrawal. I saw it in a loading screen, i know it's in the game. Please tell me i can get it in a timely fashion after, let's say, the first boss or even before that.

Or really, any Greatsword / UGS would be fine, but i need to smash my enemies instead of twirling around them ineffectually.

Scared of going to any wikis or the like, 'cause i'm trying to stay pure. But i REALLY NEED A ZWEIHÄNDER.

You have to go through 3 zones to get the Zweihander - don't bother, just get the Greatsword or the Pursuer's ULTRA Greatsword.

Andrast posted:

I think it's a bit of both, but the enemy tracking makes the game a bit more annoying.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Zaphod42 posted:

You're done there now. Go back to Majula and explore for other areas.

Alternatively Did you defeat the Pursuer? The key can open the fight to him, and then after him there's a way opened to another zone...Although that zone is technically for later

FrickenMoron posted:

You can always go back to Majula and explore other options.

Ohhh, right. I'm dumb.

Or I guess I'm just used to DS1 having an interconnected world and figuring out where to go next by continually poking around for shortcuts.

Also the best part of this game so far is all the bloodstains of people accidentally falling off cliffs, never fails to crack me up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

First greatsword is in the 3rd area of the game No Man's Warf

So bad news, nope. You can't get it before first boss at all.

The Zwei you get in Iron Keep But that's even later, and Greatsword is better anyways. You'll love the greatsword.

Its Berzerk as gently caress. :black101:

Did you get the Fire Longsword or Heide Knight's Sword?

What am I saying, you haven't even killed the first boss yet. Just keep going. (Although both of those badass weapons can be obtained before the first boss)

Shadalator posted:

Any reason why my achievments don't pop-up or notify when they happen in game? They are getting unlocked, but it'd be nice to get them, when I get them, rather than check my steam profile after play session.

Steam overlay settings?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 25, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Got the fire sword and it's a big step up (i love poking stabs), but i'm hesitant to sink Souls into it because i'm not gonna upgrade my faith or int.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Some of the bosses aren't that hard, but it can be pretty challenging. Are you playing solo?

Yeah, I'm playing it solo.

quote:

If you were playing on like NG++++ it should still be different and fresh, but if you're just really good it may not challange you that much.

At the very least :ssh: In NG+, this time around, things are actually changed up more. Its not just more stat points, there's actually new enemy placement and bosses are harder. So you have that to look forward to?

Well, that's good to hear. Should keep things interesting.

Aside from that I joined this Bell keeper covenant and I'm constantly invading someone. PvP in this seems to work miles better compared to DS1. Being summoned has been fairly smooth too.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I discovered this by accident: If you think there are enemies behind a door, you can just knock on it (punch it) and the enemies will come to you.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Looking forward to lore discussion with PC folks once they start getting a little bit deeper into the game.

For example, the argument over whether or not it makes sense how you get to a certain place in a world full of eagles that airdrop knights onto you and ghost ships and mechanically impossible elevators

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Cheston posted:

I discovered this by accident: If you think there are enemies behind a door, you can just knock on it (punch it) and the enemies will come to you.

There is at least one locked door in the game you open by taking advantage of this.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
I feel this change is so big and important that everyone who's coming to Dark Souls 2 should know it full stop:

If and when you find a Ring of Life Protection, realize it is not like it's DaS1 counterpart where "breaking" means deleted from your inventory. Breaking means the ring's durability goes to 0 and you must take it to a blacksmith to get repaired for a non-changing fee of 3000 souls. This means as long as you are currently carrying 3000 souls, wearing this ring will save you the risk of not recovering your body and going hollow. It will save you a ton of human effigies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone just invaded me, died, gave me a half million souls, now I'm level 100 can't summon for anything, and am getting invaded by people with much better gear then me.

:sigh:

I guess I'm just going to re-roll.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The summoning rate for BellBros is crazy at the moment, and I love meeting them down at the entrance because chances artery good that they'll accidentally agro the covenant guy

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

So I just have absolutely no idea where to go after the Last Giant. Am I done in the forest now? should I go somewhere else?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turtlicious posted:

Someone just invaded me, died, gave me a half million souls, now I'm level 100 can't summon for anything, and am getting invaded by people with much better gear then me.

:sigh:

I guess I'm just going to re-roll.

Is Soul Memory total soul accumulation regardless if you lose the souls or not?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

HenryEx posted:

Got the fire sword and it's a big step up (i love poking stabs), but i'm hesitant to sink Souls into it because i'm not gonna upgrade my faith or int.

Wait where is that anyway... saw people with it when I killed the Sentinels, was wondering if I just sucked and missed a Blacksmith or something... I'm assuming it's in that fiery Salamander pit area? I don't even know how to get down there yet.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've been playing this game online all day and haven't been invaded a single time.

Seriously, don't worry about the online stuff. Even if invasions were common I'd say keep it on, and not because of any "real Dark Souls experience" nonsense either. Messages are A LOT more helpful this time around. The game throws a lot more tricks at you and there are many hidden things. Messages can give more specific advice so genuinely helpful ones are actually pretty common. There are a lot of traps I avoided and items I found purely because of the messages.

Keep in mind there are areas of the game where invasions/summoning WILL happen 100% of the time when you enter due to the covenants that control the areas. So if you're not into or ready for PVP your only options really is to disconnect from the internet or stay out. You can burn an effigy at the bonfire connected to the area, but you'll be invaded before you make it that far.

You're right that random invasions outside those areas are more rare though.

a shameful boehner posted:

Looking forward to lore discussion with PC folks once they start getting a little bit deeper into the game.

For example, the argument over whether or not it makes sense how you get to a certain place in a world full of eagles that airdrop knights onto you and ghost ships and mechanically impossible elevators

Thanks for bringing it up, I've really missed hearing that stuff for the billionth time.

Fuzz posted:

Wait where is that anyway... saw people with it when I killed the Sentinels, was wondering if I just sucked and missed a Blacksmith or something... I'm assuming it's in that fiery Salamander pit area? I don't even know how to get down there yet.

Sort of. The sword is in that fiery cave in the area with all the scaffolds and petrified statues. Down from the second bonfire in Forest of Fallen Giants. Just watch your back and then your front when you enter.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 25, 2014

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuzz posted:

Check out the grassy/bridge area next to the Cardinal Tower

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

You can get a regular longsword... doesn't the smith sell one?

Alternatively if you upgrade the fire longsword to like a fire longsword +3, you could later make it a regulard longsword +3 or a lightning longsword +3.

Its not like Dark Souls where you have to make it +5 or +10 and then it goes down to Fire +0. :) Really nice change!

Also no colored titanite! All titanite is the same, good for any type of weapon, regardless of enchant.

Also note that Fire Longsword is a Longsword with Fire infusion, but Heide's Knight sword just does lightning damage on its own, you could stack a Lighting infusion on top for even more lightning damage, although less strength and dex scaling.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Well poo poo, I had no idea Lockstones are limited... I already used two, one under the ballista room in the forest fort, and the other to open up the Belfry.

Did I already gently caress up?

I've only used one and it triggered a trap and nothing else. gently caress.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Baron O Beefdip posted:

So I just have absolutely no idea where to go after the Last Giant. Am I done in the forest now? should I go somewhere else?

Start opening yellow-brown doors with black bracing over them - there's 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Skeleton Lords are really pissing me off. I wreck the mages but then just get shredded by the millions of regular skeletons that spawn. And if I kill them one at a time to cut down on the chaff they always manage to find the exact right moment to stun me with a fireball and let the chumps cut me down.