Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

THF13 posted:

I really don't know how Microsoft managed to become the go to PC gamepad.

Wanted to replace my wired 360 controller I've been using since the 360 launch today so I can play some Dark Souls this weekend.

Can I use the Xbox One controller on PC? No
Can I get the updated 360 model with the transforming D-Pad with a PC adapter? No
Can I get the transforming d-pad version in a color that doesn't hurt my eyes to look at? Only bundled with a useless play and charge kit.
Can I buy the wireless receiver on its own? Only online and it will be a knockoff.

So I guess I am stopping at best buy on the way home from work to get Microsoft's 3rd best controller. :shepspends:

The 360 controller is the de facto controller due in part to the Games for Windows alliance (not to be confused with GFWL the service) and Microsoft.

That doesn't stop the 360 controller from being straight garbage in my opinion. For my usage the dual shock 3 is perfect along with MotionInJoy plus BetterDS3 and it fits my hands proper. It also had a dpad that isn't straight dog poo poo.

You can get a legit wireless controller adapter from eBay by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

THF13 posted:

Any product that's labeled "Games for Windows" had to include support for the 360 controller if it had support for any controllers, and that went on for a few years.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

THF13 posted:

Can I buy the wireless receiver on its own? Only online and it will be a knockoff.

I have a knockoff wireless receiver that I believe I picked up at either Fry's or ordered off Amazon, I don't recall nor do I have it handy to look at, but it works just fine. You have to go into your drivers and manually install it, but it's really not hard and it has worked flawlessly for me ever since. I don't know what everyone's problem with them are, they get the job done and they're cheaper than Microsoft ever made their "legit" receivers. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

averox posted:

The 360 controller is the de facto controller due in part to the Games for Windows alliance (not to be confused with GFWL the service) and Microsoft.

That doesn't stop the 360 controller from being straight garbage in my opinion. For my usage the dual shock 3 is perfect along with MotionInJoy plus BetterDS3 and it fits my hands proper. It also had a dpad that isn't straight dog poo poo.

You can get a legit wireless controller adapter from eBay by the way.

Since you mention them, are either the DS3 or DS4 particularly problematic to get running on PC? (Preferably wired, I get a LOT of weird interference bullshit at my home with bluetooth / other wireless devices.)

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Since you mention them, are either the DS3 or DS4 particularly problematic to get running on PC? (Preferably wired, I get a LOT of weird interference bullshit at my home with bluetooth / other wireless devices.)

I'm running my DS3 with Bluetooth. I think wired is even easier since you don't need to finagle with a Bluetooth dongle and other poo poo. The DS3 and DS4 work with most games as it's just mimicking Xinput commands or something.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
The G600 is fantastic for WoW style hotbar MMOs. If that's not your cup of tea then you don't need so many buttons.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

The real reason the 360 is the defacto gamepad is because before the 360 controller came along PC gamepads had useful names for buttons like "Button 1" and "Button 12" and you would have to configure the gamepad in just about every game and good luck hoping you find the perfect setup. Now with the 360 games can give you useful default button assignments and can give you names for the buttons that actually represent what you're pressing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I just wish I could get some games to show PS prompts instead of Xbox ones. It's really weird that disconnect my brain gets where I have to check and make sure I am hitting the right button every time if the prompts don't match the controller. That said, would there be a way to get a DS4 set up perfectly? Like if I started using it the game would recognize it and swap to console prompts like it does with my F310?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'd guess soon we'll see the PS4 pad be a choice, some games already have DS4 button prompts.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

I just want to chime in and say that the Logitech F-series gamepads are pretty much garbage in my opinion. While compatibility with games is excellent, it combines the worst aspects of the 360 controller and the pre-DS4 sony controllers. The d-pad is mushy, the deadzones are huge, the grips are tiny and the triggers are stiff and difficult to press as they're completely flat. Once I got a DS4 I put my F310s away for good because the difference in build quality, comfort and precision is like night and day.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

notZaar posted:

The G600 is fantastic for WoW style hotbar MMOs. If that's not your cup of tea then you don't need so many buttons.

Ditto the Razer Naga. Also good for dotes/weapon switching/poker hotkeys

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

El Mido posted:

I just want to chime in and say that the Logitech F-series gamepads are pretty much garbage in my opinion. While compatibility with games is excellent, it combines the worst aspects of the 360 controller and the pre-DS4 sony controllers. The d-pad is mushy, the deadzones are huge, the grips are tiny and the triggers are stiff and difficult to press as they're completely flat. Once I got a DS4 I put my F310s away for good because the difference in build quality, comfort and precision is like night and day.

I'm really curious about the DS4. I googled a bit and found this: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/176263-how-to-use-a-dualshock-4-to-play-pc-games to make it work decently for XImput. I mostly play Fifa 14, some racing games (Burnout Paradise, Carmageddon Reincarnation beta) and some fighting games. Is the tool shown in that website the one you use?

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Yep, that's it. I magically got much better at Sonic Racing Transformed and my hands didn't cramp up anymore once I switched over. I only play over usb but if you choose to play over bluetooth make sure to adjust the brightness of the LED so it isn't sucking your battery dry. The touchpad works decently too, but I disabled mine because I didn't have an immediate need for it.

edit: It should also be noted that the DS4 functions as a directinput controller right out of the box so you have options when it comes to older games.

El Mido fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 27, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sounds great then! I prefer to play over USB normally so I don't have to worry about battery. Talking about that, is the battery removable like the wireless 360 pads?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

120 Hz and 60 Hz monitors. I can feel difference between those (at least I think so). Now watching Starcraft 2 on DreamHack Open 2014 Bucharest and there is EIZO FORIS FG2421 monitor advertisement that claims their stuff is 240 Hz. Opinions?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

kalstrams posted:

120 Hz and 60 Hz monitors. I can feel difference between those (at least I think so). Now watching Starcraft 2 on DreamHack Open 2014 Bucharest and there is EIZO FORIS FG2421 monitor advertisement that claims their stuff is 240 Hz. Opinions?

It just takes 120 hz input and tries to upsample it to 240 hz. This can only add input lag and possibly make things look blurry.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Maxwell Adams posted:

It just takes 120 hz input and tries to upsample it to 240 hz. This can only add input lag and possibly make things look blurry.
Well, that is one underwhelming gaming 'feature'. Thanks for explanation.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Pews posted:

I appreciate the advice as I haven't picked out a new pair yet, but I'm really looking for something with 5.1 surround. And I don't think that mic will work double duty with the PS4 too like I want it to.

5.1 Surround on headphones doesn't really work. Putting 3 drivers in each cup makes for terrible interference between them, and the methods to wire all those channels to the phones can involve lossy conversion to-and-from stereo. Besides, stereo headphones already have passive surround sound in any game where you can move the camera, because you mostly perceive front-back location by parallax.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
240Hz refresh rates are doable but I don't think any video card will push 240 updates a second soooooo....

THF13 posted:

Wanted to replace my wired 360 controller I've been using since the 360 launch today so I can play some Dark Souls this weekend.

Can I use the Xbox One controller on PC? No
Can I get the updated 360 model with the transforming D-Pad with a PC adapter? No
Can I get the transforming d-pad version in a color that doesn't hurt my eyes to look at? Only bundled with a useless play and charge kit.

So I guess I am stopping at best buy on the way home from work to get Microsoft's 3rd best controller. :shepspends:
Wait wait what? The transforming d-pad ones don't work with the wireless adapters? I just picked one of those up last week on sale for use with a wireless adapter. I'd better test it before the return window closes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Wait wait what? The transforming d-pad ones don't work with the wireless adapters? I just picked one of those up last week on sale for use with a wireless adapter. I'd better test it before the return window closes.

Works fine for me, been using it for a year or two at this point.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Veotax posted:

Whew, thank you.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The problem I've been having with my Logitech F310 is unbelievably huge deadzones on the sticks. Something like 30-40% of their range of movement is dead, then *snap*. It's making navigating in Dark Souls (and now Dark Souls 2, but I think there's a separate bug there) really aggravating.

Not only that, the buttons on that controller are very poorly made, so they get stuck very easily.

RBX posted:

I'd guess soon we'll see the PS4 pad be a choice, some games already have DS4 button prompts.

Which games? Developers supported the 360 controller because Microsoft developed a standardized input system for it. The drivers for the PS3 and PS4 controllers just use their own version of the 360 controller drivers. Sony has to make their own PC drivers for their controllers to get developers to really support it, and they haven't said anything about that.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Veotax posted:

However, I don't believe it works as a wired USB controller when you have the charging cable plugged in, which may be what he was trying to say.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wired 360 gamepads will only ever be wired gamepads. Wireless 360 gamepads will only ever be wireless as well. The charging cable will only ever be a charging cable. This is granted you don't do some hardware modding of some sort or driver fuckery.

These guys get more into it and it seems Microsoft intentionally disabled the use of the controller on the PC with the plug and charge kit. http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?39007-Wireless-controller-to-Pc-through-Play-and-charge-kit

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Weird. Everyone I know who has a 310 (which is only like 10 people, granted) has no issues with the buttons and have had them for a couple years. The dead zones are a little bigger than expected, true, but nobody seems to mind. Maybe they would if they tried a different controller.

I might get a DS4 some day, they do feel really nice. I'll have to wait until a once-in-a-blue-moon sale.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I have a F710 and I love it. The triggers are a little stiff but it's great.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
When I was reading around on the internet trying to decide what kind of gamepad to buy, I found that a lot of people do mind the huge deadzone on the F310. It was all over the Logitech forums. Some people were saying that the earlier model(s) in the same series didn't have such problems, which is why they were particularly irritated that Logitech seemed uninterested in making any changes to the current design.

The only thing I find odd is that this is the first time I've seen the deadzone issue mentioned on these forums. The general goon opinion rarely leads me wrong, but in this case I'm glad I read around before buying- that deadzone business would've driven me crazy.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
I have an F510 which, sadly, has been discontinued (it's basically an F310 (so, wired) with vibration) and the thing doesn't really have any meaningful (i.e. annoyingly huge) deadzones to me; It might be possible that the F310s that were produced during the same time have the same sticks and therefore no deadzone problem, while the newer ones (post-F510) get this. Maybe most Goons just own the older ones and hence you don't usually hear any complaints about this here.

Would be a shame if they'd messed up the deadzones on newer models because the F510 I have, and possibly the older F310 I guess, are awesome controllers.

The triggers at the back are a bit stiff, yeah, something I don't mind personally but I guess I can see why it would be a valid point of criticism for some. Other than that I really can't complain.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm sorry but this is just utter crap. While it does take a 120hz signal, it doesn't "upscale" it. The screen instead displays each frame twice, with the backlight turned off for each second frame. This is done to remove pixel persistence and blurred motion, and it does a drat fine job of it according to TFT Central. It is basically a hardware implemented and more effective lightboost. Honestly no clue where you got upsampling from.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I have an F310 and the deadzones never were an issue for me until I played Dark Souls 2. Because one of the moves in that game a requires a movement that apparently gets screwed up by huge deadzones and is therefore impossible to do reliably. So considering Dark Souls 2 might be one of the big controller games on PC, I probably wouldn't go for the F310 again right now.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

I've got a monitor that can do 120hz, but whenever I actually set it to something, say 80+, I get this really horrible... ghosting? in the top right corner of the screen, it'll generally just be the burn in of the firefox browser so then when I go to play a game there'll just be this area with the close/maximise/minimise/extension buttons and then part of the scrollbar. It's literally just this tiny section up in that corner where it happens, nowhere else, but it's really lovely.

Setting it back to 60hz it'll fade fairly quickly, 30mins maybe, but I kinda bought this monitor with the intention of getting poo poo to run at least around 100hz, if anyone has had this problem and knows what's up and could help that'd be great, I just use the nvidia control panel to change it up if that makes a difference.

I've tried googling but since I don't really know what it is it makes it hard and the results I do get don't help at all.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Balobam posted:

I've got a monitor that can do 120hz, but whenever I actually set it to something, say 80+, I get this really horrible... ghosting? in the top right corner of the screen, it'll generally just be the burn in of the firefox browser so then when I go to play a game there'll just be this area with the close/maximise/minimise/extension buttons and then part of the scrollbar. It's literally just this tiny section up in that corner where it happens, nowhere else, but it's really lovely.

Setting it back to 60hz it'll fade fairly quickly, 30mins maybe, but I kinda bought this monitor with the intention of getting poo poo to run at least around 100hz, if anyone has had this problem and knows what's up and could help that'd be great, I just use the nvidia control panel to change it up if that makes a difference.

I've tried googling but since I don't really know what it is it makes it hard and the results I do get don't help at all.

I have the exact same thing with my QX2710@110hz (same screen position, and I most often notice it with chrome). I just live with it personally as 110hz is buttery smooth. Sorry I can't offer more :shrug:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Randler posted:

I have an F310 and the deadzones never were an issue for me until I played Dark Souls 2. Because one of the moves in that game a requires a movement that apparently gets screwed up by huge deadzones and is therefore impossible to do reliably. So considering Dark Souls 2 might be one of the big controller games on PC, I probably wouldn't go for the F310 again right now.

I have a similar problem in DS2 with my F710. Doing the forward+attack moves is extremely finicky. I checked my deadzone in the gamepad config utility in Windows and it is practically non-existent, the device is very sensitive and accurate. So my guess is that it has something to do with the game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I ended up picking up a DS4 and did the magical fuckery to make that work. I swear these are the best controllers yet made, folks. Resolved every problem I had with Dark Souls 2 utterly and completely. :swoon:

UnholyCow
Oct 6, 2005

Yeah, after getting my PS4 I immediately got another DS4 to use with my PC. It is totally worth running the wrapper every time I use it because that controller is pretty much perfect.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I ended up picking up a DS4 and did the magical fuckery to make that work. I swear these are the best controllers yet made, folks. Resolved every problem I had with Dark Souls 2 utterly and completely. :swoon:

I couldn't get the DS4 to work using the wrapper for dark souls one. Does it not support it, did I pick the wrong wrapper, or is something else wrong?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Butt Discussin posted:

I couldn't get the DS4 to work using the wrapper for dark souls one. Does it not support it, did I pick the wrong wrapper, or is something else wrong?

Did you check the "Hide the controller" option when the SCPServer is running?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

neetengie posted:

Did you check the "Hide the controller" option when the SCPServer is running?

Nope, I will try that tonight. Thanks for the help!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Does anyone want these 2x -25% Pixel Piracy Steam coupons I have...? Free. I'm literally never going to buy that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Butt Discussin posted:

Nope, I will try that tonight. Thanks for the help!

Close Steam/uPlay first, otherwise it won't work. The tool is compatible with everything that the 360 controller is since there's no difference as far as the game is concerned, except some have issues when they see both directinput and xinput controllers.

• Locked thread