Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If I were an owner of any pro sports team the first thing I would do is either buy out the Phoenix Suns training staff or pay them to teach my staff everything they do, including but not limited to instructions on how to build the lazarus pit they must use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
The NFL is considering extending the draft to four days.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

korrandark posted:

[url=http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000344129/article/roger-goodell-nfl-draft-could-increase-to-four-days] The NFL is considering extending the draft to four days.

Attaboy Rog!! Keep it up!

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Go gently caress yourself, NFL. It's already stretched too thin. Nobody but die hards watch on saturday anyway.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Febreeze posted:

Go gently caress yourself, NFL. It's already stretched too thin. Nobody but die hards watch on saturday anyway.

So it doesn't affect us?

I mean, what else are we going to watch in late April before hockey playoffs start in the evening?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

I was really high on Mack until I watched his Ohio State and Baylor games. He'd be a great ILB (and a monster with Lavonte David in Tampa Bay), but he gets held up by decent Tackles too much.

If we trade down to No. 6 I'd love to take Mack and put him at ILB next to Cush due to his blitzing and coverage ability, but I'd worry about his ability to play OLB, even going against Right Tackles.

In no way is he an ILB. Mack is a classic strongside linebacker.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
If you're drafting Mack top 10 and sticking him at ILB you might be fired on the spot. That's like making clowney a DT

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
7 day draft. A round a day. Picks have 45 minute counters.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

How would you even split the days up then? 1-2-2-2, and give equal coverage of the 6th and 7th rounds as you would the 2nd and 3rd? 1-1-2-3, and drag out the early rounds way too long?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I still can't believe they hosed up the draft weekend. It was so perfect the way it was.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't his coverage pretty much uncharted territory anyways? He seems to have the tools to be solid though. If he goes to Oakland at 5, I'm not really sure how that works, because we have Sio Moore at sam, and I'm not really sold on either of them at the will spot. Moore definitely deserves to be on the field as well.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

How would you even split the days up then? 1-2-2-2, and give equal coverage of the 6th and 7th rounds as you would the 2nd and 3rd? 1-1-2-3, and drag out the early rounds way too long?
Knowing the NFL?

Day 1: Round 1, 15 minute clock
Day 2: Round 2, 10 minute clock
Day 3: Rounds 3-4, 7 minute clock
Day 4: Rounds 5-7, 5 minute clock

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Gah, I hate 15 minute clocks. It takes foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

In no way is he an ILB. Mack is a classic strongside linebacker.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

If you're drafting Mack top 10 and sticking him at ILB you might be fired on the spot. That's like making clowney a DT

I was thinking more 3-4 ILB, but go watch his Ohio State and Baylor games and see how he does against non-MAC tackles. As soon as hands are on him he's usually stuck there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

I was thinking more 3-4 ILB, but go watch his Ohio State and Baylor games and see how he does against non-MAC tackles. As soon as hands are on him he's usually stuck there.

3-4 ILB is even worse. They're just thumpers, usually, whose main goal is to occupy guards and centers, although the SAM ILB is usually in charge of picking up TEs and crossing routes. Still a waste considering Mack is all about defeats which is why I like him as a prospect so much. You kinda want him operating at the line of scrimmage and diagnosing plays as he sees them. That pretty much completely slots him as a strong side LB in either scheme.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Doltos posted:

3-4 ILB is even worse. They're just thumpers, usually, whose main goal is to occupy guards and centers, although the SAM ILB is usually in charge of picking up TEs and crossing routes. Still a waste considering Mack is all about defeats which is why I like him as a prospect so much. You kinda want him operating at the line of scrimmage and diagnosing plays as he sees them. That pretty much completely slots him as a strong side LB in either scheme.

Mack's defeats is what I was considering; I just liked the idea of him blitzing some middle gap a la Ray Lewis and doin' cool things. :allears:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shath Hole posted:

Gah, I hate 15 minute clocks. It takes foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

Goodell is the one that reduced the first round from 15 minutes to 10. He's not going to extend it again.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Febreeze posted:

I'll have you know I watch every minute of it. I've got half a dozen draft guides printed out, got my dynasty fantasy rankings out so I can use situation based tiebreakers before my rookie drafts, I take vacation on Thursday/Friday so I don't get trapped at work and miss the start and clear my weekend schedule. I even record both the ESPN and NFL feeds so I can see what the different talking heads have to say.

I'm going to die cold and alone.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Azhais posted:

I'll have you know I watch every minute of it. I've got half a dozen draft guides printed out, got my dynasty fantasy rankings out so I can use situation based tiebreakers before my rookie drafts, I take vacation on Thursday/Friday so I don't get trapped at work and miss the start and clear my weekend schedule. I even record both the ESPN and NFL feeds so I can see what the different talking heads have to say.

:stare:

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Who would want to spend days waiting in anticipation to hear each pick exactly when they happen? It's an hour to hear four and eight to get through round one. You could check Sunday night and get the full summary in minutes rather then stretching it to like 30 hours filled with ads and talking heads sprouting nonsense about prospects they don't have anything intelligent to say about anyway, as if that wasn't going to occupy the entirety of every online football related site's coverage til training camp anyway.

Wanna see that day four green room tho. With any luck we can get some newly christened udfas melt down on national tv.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Stretching it out is a dick move I think. When I spoke with Seyi Ajirotutu he had mentioned that the Chargers called him in around round 6 and said "Get Ready" and then they never drafted him. That all sucks and I can't imagine having to wait days

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

SlipUp posted:

Who would want to spend days waiting in anticipation to hear each pick exactly when they happen? It's an hour to hear four and eight to get through round one. You could check Sunday night and get the full summary in minutes rather then stretching it to like 30 hours filled with ads and talking heads sprouting nonsense about prospects they don't have anything intelligent to say about anyway, as if that wasn't going to occupy the entirety of every online football related site's coverage til training camp anyway.

Wanna see that day four green room tho. With any luck we can get some newly christened udfas melt down on national tv.

Don't UDFAs regularly get better contracts than 7th round players? Plus they get to pick what team they sign with.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Azhais posted:

This would be the aforementioned die hards

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Blitz7x posted:

Stretching it out is a dick move I think. When I spoke with Seyi Ajirotutu he had mentioned that the Chargers called him in around round 6 and said "Get Ready" and then they never drafted him. That all sucks and I can't imagine having to wait days

Seyi freaking owns

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Extending the draft to four days is probably a ratings things.

I bet if the NFL had it their way there would be a game every weeknight during primetime and they would be swimming in oceans of ad money.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Democrazy posted:

Don't UDFAs regularly get better contracts than 7th round players? Plus they get to pick what team they sign with.

AFAIK most UDFA jump at the first opportunity they get because they know their chances are slim anyway. I cant see many guys saying "Well I didn't get drafted but sorry Cleveland, I think I'll wait on an offer from Seattle or New England and maybe get back to you."

Also 7th rounders get 4yr contracts don't they? It's rare for a UDFA to get paid more than a drafted player.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

quote:

@AlbertBreer 3m

At 264 pounds, Jadeveon Clowney scored a 71 on his speed of movement test on the force plate today. Similar score to Devin Hester. ...

... To contextualize Clowney's score of 71 further, that's out of 80, which is where an Olympic sprinter would be. Pretty incredible.

gently caress it, put Clowney on kick returns.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Disillusionist posted:

AFAIK most UDFA jump at the first opportunity they get because they know their chances are slim anyway. I cant see many guys saying "Well I didn't get drafted but sorry Cleveland, I think I'll wait on an offer from Seattle or New England and maybe get back to you."

Also 7th rounders get 4yr contracts don't they? It's rare for a UDFA to get paid more than a drafted player.

They'll both be making right around the league minimum. What I suspect Democrazy is thinking of is that some teams will pay a larger bonus to coveted UDFA's to get them to sign, and for these guys, the difference between a $5k signing bonus and a $20k can be pretty loving huge.

7th round draft picks on the other hand average around a $50k signing bonus as I recall.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Disillusionist posted:

They're paid a little-to-no signing bonus, but the 7th rounders only get like $50k signing bonus anyway. If they make the 53-man roster then for all intents and purposes they're both getting the league minimum.

How many years is a typical UDFA contract, though? If you were a gem in the rough it would be better to get a 1 year deal than the 4 year deals the 7th rounders are locked into. If you fall out of the league it won't matter either way, since that "4 year contract" is really just the team's obligation to pay IF THEY KEEP YOU.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DupaDupa posted:

Yes but kick return coverage. Can you imagine seeing that coming at you full speed on kick returns?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that Indiana WR Cody Latimer had a private workout with the Philadelphia Eagles today.

drat that dude's rising into the 1st now.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Only 50k signing bonus what the gently caress kind of jobs do you people have that you're scoffing at 50k? You get that signing bonus you save every penny and then you're at the same level as that udfa who is being auditioned for a starting offensive guard position with the dolphins

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My job came with a no dollar signing bonus with no health benefits and I had to work my way up to 40k a year with dental and health covered. I am so loving thankful for this job too.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Only 50k signing bonus what the gently caress kind of jobs do you people have that you're scoffing at 50k? You get that signing bonus you save every penny and then you're at the same level as that udfa who is being auditioned for a starting offensive guard position with the dolphins

Yeah, didn't Burfict get like $750 signing bonus as a UDFA? And they had to really beg for it so he could afford to move to Cincinnati?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

DupaDupa posted:

God drat the Texans better draft Clowney

e: Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 25m
Sparta founder Phil Wagner laughed reading Clowney's results. Speed graded similar to Hester, strength was at average for an NFL o-lineman.

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 25, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
My basic point was that making the squad moots the difference between being a 7th round draft pick and being an UDFA. In the context of the NFL (the same context that lets most of us say things like "Blaine Gabbert is a bad QB) $50k really isn't that much.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

What do the teams think of the extra day? Would it make a big difference to them?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I know Atlanta trading up for Clowney makes for a great story, but I just can't see it happening. Everything ATL did in free agency felt like they were trying to get more overall depth after TB couldn't infect them with MRSA, but still found a way to give them terrible injury luck. Julio Jones is still amazing, Roddy White might still be 80% of the player he was, and Douglas was a pleasant surprise.

But what about that terrible offensive line. What about the hole at tight end? If they draft Clowney after for so many years playing the "Lets bet our future on singing vets" game, how does that help a team that desperately needs new young talent?

If I look at it as wanting to see a divisional opponent crash and burn, then go for it. While no one is gonna draft running backs with high draft picks, I don't know how I feel about any of the ATL running backs. All this probing on Clowney has to be a smoke screen from them to pacify their fans who just want the team to draft someone with name recognition.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

waah posted:

I know Atlanta trading up for Clowney makes for a great story, but I just can't see it happening. Everything ATL did in free agency felt like they were trying to get more overall depth after TB couldn't infect them with MRSA, but still found a way to give them terrible injury luck. Julio Jones is still amazing, Roddy White might still be 80% of the player he was, and Douglas was a pleasant surprise.

But what about that terrible offensive line. What about the hole at tight end? If they draft Clowney after for so many years playing the "Lets bet our future on singing vets" game, how does that help a team that desperately needs new young talent?

If I look at it as wanting to see a divisional opponent crash and burn, then go for it. While no one is gonna draft running backs with high draft picks, I don't know how I feel about any of the ATL running backs. All this probing on Clowney has to be a smoke screen from them to pacify their fans who just want the team to draft someone with name recognition.

Hahah how the gently caress is Tampa the team that gave Atlanta the injury bug? The Falcons came into the season already injured and each of the first 5 games saw them losing more people.

Also everyone here buys the story not because it "makes for a great story" but because its consistent with TD's drafting. He's done this sort of thing before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
And its the reason they're struggling now. The falcons that drafted Julio Jones believed they were one piece away from the Super Bowl, and they were almost right. This is not that team and I doubt TD is stupid enough to think it is.

• Locked thread