Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

Someone just invaded me, died, gave me a half million souls, now I'm level 100 can't summon for anything, and am getting invaded by people with much better gear then me.

:sigh:

I guess I'm just going to re-roll.

He gave you a half million souls? I guess he was a hacker, that shouldn't be possible.

That didn't mean you HAD to spend them and go up to level 100, though. You could have bought armor or weapons or upgraded them. Kinda poor planning on your part.

You can always burn an effigy at a bonfire to prevent invasions for awhile until you gear up to match your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Lockstones are limited, but if you explore there are actually quite a few. I've found and looted over 16-17 of them. And certain covenants will make them even more plentiful.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

dis astranagant posted:

Skeleton Lords are really pissing me off. I wreck the mages but then just get shredded by the millions of regular skeletons that spawn. And if I kill them one at a time to cut down on the chaff they always manage to find the exact right moment to stun me with a fireball and let the chumps cut me down.

Just do one at a time and move around a lot so the mage can't get you easily.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
^^^^ No they are not stop lying. The rat clan generates lockstones. Infinite lockstones for everybody.

Lionguild posted:

I've only used one and it triggered a trap and nothing else. gently caress.

They're not limited! I already responded to that post and said they're not. Keep reading before you post.

You'll have loving INFINITY lockstones as soon as you're halfway through the game!

They are PURELY rare during the intro of the game. Keep going.

gently caress.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Or really, any Greatsword / UGS would be fine, but i need to smash my enemies instead of twirling around them ineffectually.
Bastard sword can be grabbed in the Forest as a drop from the guys wielding it.

Nice, Lucatiel. Totally spazzed and just stopped doing anything besides walking into enemies.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So there's no way around the extinction thing? I was hoping if I wanted to just bash my head against an area until I got it down I could.

I mean I could burn the Ascetic I have, but the enemies get tougher and I'd lose it, right?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

neetengie posted:

Start opening yellow-brown doors with black bracing over them - there's 3.

Theres the one below the ballistae hollows, the one near the start, wheres the third one?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Buck Turgidson posted:

You should be very careful about cheating (and using any dlls or other software that may trip any kind of anti-cheat system) because you can actually lose the ability to play other multiplayer games.

Or going to websites in search of sprays, because I have a VAC on Team Fortress II and I never installed anything to mod it. Suggested solution from Valve? Re-buy every game I own, and never again do what tripped off the vac sensor in the first place. Not included: Any suggestions as to what it was that did it. I only think it's the website thing because someone suggested it years later and yeah, I go to websites, maybe that was it. gently caress the VAC system, it's garbage.

You can play Dark Souls II online by making a new steam account and "Family Sharing" your old one with it, btw, for everyone like me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Skeleton Lords are really pissing me off. I wreck the mages but then just get shredded by the millions of regular skeletons that spawn. And if I kill them one at a time to cut down on the chaff they always manage to find the exact right moment to stun me with a fireball and let the chumps cut me down.

That's another fight that really helps to summon co-op for.

I assume you already realized To kill the mage that summons the bonewheels last?

^ That's a big spoiler for people who haven't done the boss yet but have played Dark Souls 1, don't read it :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Bastard sword can be grabbed in the Forest as a drop from the guys wielding it.

Nice, Lucatiel. Totally spazzed and just stopped doing anything besides walking into enemies.

Lucatiel is this game's Solaire. In many boss fights she's more of a liability than a help.

If you want to see her quest line all the way She has to survive 3 of the 4 boss fights she can show up for, good loving luck doing that

Sober posted:

So there's no way around the extinction thing? I was hoping if I wanted to just bash my head against an area until I got it down I could.

I mean I could burn the Ascetic I have, but the enemies get tougher and I'd lose it, right?

You're correct. It does kinda suck if you're the single player gamer who dies a lot but really wants to get better and complete that challenge, there's no real solution.

But its there to stop you from farming (just fight bosses with people in co-op!) and to help newbies who die a whole bunch and get frustrated.

Its actually really nice for those couple enemies between a bonfire and a boss fight, if you keep dying to the boss, so eventually you can just run straight to the boss when they despawn.

The thing is it takes so many kills to despawn an enemey, if you despawn anybody that's the game saying "Okay its really time you moved on by now..."

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 25, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

^^^ It's easy for her to survive by wearing the red eye ring and never doing Smelter Demon

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Theres the one below the ballistae hollows, the one near the start, wheres the third one?

the one near the start can be broken down, so don't count it. the other one is across the bridge where two hollows play dead when you descend the ladder, and another is where the first fog door past the 2 bonfire of the forest is.
fake edit: the one near the ballistae hollows isn't one, when you go down the ladder go where the crystal gecko was and keep going, between the two pikemen go right.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wait, I went into that cave and all I found was... I forget what I think maybe a ring. Do you mean I have to go in past the Salamander?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^^ No they are not stop lying. The rat clan generates lockstones. Infinite lockstones for everybody.

They're not limited! I already responded to that post and said they're not. Keep reading before you post.

You'll have loving INFINITY lockstones as soon as you're halfway through the game!

They are PURELY rare during the intro of the game. Keep going.

gently caress.

They are limited if you don't want to join the Rat Covenant. Which is why I mentioned that option in my previous post.

As for the Skeleton Lords, they are very weak to holy water urns. Make sure you kill the little skeletons before you kill another lord, use the bone piles for cover/crowd control. If you're a sorceror, Yearn can be a helpful spell here.

Fuzz posted:

Wait, I went into that cave and all I found was... I forget what I think maybe a ring. Do you mean I have to go in past the Salamander?

There's a door midway through on the left leading to a room with a chest. Don't gently caress with the salamanders until you're pretty strong. :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Zaphod42 posted:

He gave you a half million souls? I guess he was a hacker, that shouldn't be possible.

That didn't mean you HAD to spend them and go up to level 100, though. You could have bought armor or weapons or upgraded them. Kinda poor planning on your part.

Doesn't matter. Invasions are based on Soul Memory not Soul Level. So yeah hackers can suicide after they invade you to screw up your co-op.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Lucatiel is this game's Solaire. In many boss fights she's more of a liability than a help.

If you want to see her quest line all the way She has to survive 3 of the 4 boss fights she can show up for, good loving luck doing that

They made her much stronger in 1.03 so its much easier now, probably a lost cause in new game+ though.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Sober posted:

You get souls while you're summoned and doing JOLLY COOPERATION with other people.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

They are limited if you don't want to join the Rat Covenant. Which is why I mentioned that option in my previous post.

As for the Skeleton Lords, they are very weak to holy water urns. Make sure you kill the little skeletons before you kill another lord, use the bone piles for cover/crowd control. If you're a sorceror, Yearn can be a helpful spell here.

There's a door midway through on the left leading to a room with a chest. Don't gently caress with the salamanders until you're pretty strong. :v:

Do you not get them for defeating rats? I guess not.

Thing is there's no penalty for leaving a convenant like in DS1, you maintain your progress in all covenants, so there's no reason not to join rat clan, get some, and then leave.

Also rat clan is best clan :colbert: Seriously that's the most fun pvp you'll ever have.

havenwaters posted:

Doesn't matter. Invasions are based on Soul Memory not Soul Level. So yeah hackers can suicide after they invade you to screw up your co-op.

My experience on console was that Soul Memory wasn't a factor until NG+ really.

I mean maybe a million made a big difference, but maybe you're just assuming that?

From hasn't told us the specific soul memory formula.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

You can always burn an effigy at a bonfire to prevent invasions for awhile until you gear up to match your level.

I tried but that also takes titanite I bought 10 and got my weapon up, but I don't really have nice weapons because this was a sorcerer run. So I spent as much as I could, bear in mind this is in the first place you even find a cracked red-eye orb.

e: and if I don't spend them, then my soul memory goes up AND I'm now level 20

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you not get them for defeating rats? I guess not.

Thing is there's no penalty for leaving a convenant like in DS1, you maintain your progress in all covenants, so there's no reason not to join rat clan, get some, and then leave.

Also rat clan is best clan :colbert: Seriously that's the most fun pvp you'll ever have.

I don't know, maybe? I went offline for Doors of Pharros because I have no interest in PVP personally so you could be right.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

^^^^ poo poo dude you missed out, wow. Rat clan pvp rules. For both parties.

Because its inverse invasion you have nothing to lose as the "invaded" player. And as a ratbro its fun to set off traps!

Baron O Beefdip posted:

To make it clear; there's one down the ladder from the cardinal tower bonfire; that' leads to another zone full of enemies and a few items but not much else.

There's also another down the ladder from cardinal tower where you go across the bridge. I think you just get an item? Can't remember.

There's one back in the hall with the giant sword you can walk on, that one leads to the pursuer, fight number 2.

VVV Ah yeah that's what it was. Either way though you can get it from joining the clan, running from clan members, and I think the rat NPCs drop them occasionally too.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kimmalah posted:

I don't know, maybe? I went offline for Doors of Pharros because I have no interest in PVP personally so you could be right.

You do not get them for defeating Rats.

You do get a pharros stone for running from the rat and racing to the fog door at the end of their zone.

e: obviously the rat isn't going to make that easy. If you die he gets a pharros stone and a rat tail.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
So I just ran into a familiar guy in the Chapel. That is so not something I wanted to ever see again in my life. I died quickly to it mostly because I was convulsing in my chair from PTSD and looking for the other guy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

So I just ran into a familiar guy in the Chapel. That is so not something I wanted to ever see again in my life. I died quickly to it mostly because I was convulsing in my chair from PTSD and looking for the other guy.

He's actually way easier now

You can do it!

Turtlicious posted:

I tried but that also takes titanite I bought 10 and got my weapon up, but I don't really have nice weapons because this was a sorcerer run. So I spent as much as I could, bear in mind this is in the first place you even find a cracked red-eye orb.

e: and if I don't spend them, then my soul memory goes up AND I'm now level 20

That does suck, hackers suck. On the bright side you can probably speedrun back there fast since you know it now.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Logan 5 posted:

Ugh I'm really enjoying some parts of this game but having major difficulties with others. My number one issue right now though is where the hell do I go after killing the last giant? I think I opened all the doors the soldier's key can open, is my only option killing the pursuer at this point? Cause that guy wrecks my poo poo.

Try Summoning a co-op partner, then having one of you use the ballistas in the map and fire on the Pursurer. It deals massive damage and can frequently kill him in 2-3 shots..

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

be human

Thanks guys, I guess somewhere I picked up "it's not like Dark Souls 1" and figured that meant I could summon as a hollow this time around. Boy is my face red. Green. Also rotting.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 25, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Zaphod42 posted:

He's actually way easier now

You can do it!

I will go back to it in a bit. Other side of the area had a pretty easy boss. For now just in co-op mode and gathering souls that I dare not use and being painfully indecisive about my build. Got me the starter soldier armor, a rapier, a shield and 15 in adaptability.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

NullDragon posted:

Try Summoning a co-op partner, then having one of you use the ballistas in the map and fire on the Pursurer. It deals massive damage and can frequently kill him in 2-3 shots..

Or if you're feeling ballsy enough, parry him when he's in front of a ballista and you can kill him like that.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

^^^^ poo poo dude you missed out, wow. Rat clan pvp rules. For both parties.

Because its inverse invasion you have nothing to lose as the "invaded" player. And as a ratbro its fun to set off traps!

I just don't like PVP (especially in water), I like exploring the areas uninterrupted. I wasn't worried about losing stuff, just not my cup of tea.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

That does suck, hackers suck. On the bright side you can probably speedrun back there fast since you know it now.

Yeah, it just uber sucks :\ At least I can take solace in knowing that if he gets caught he will be banned from all steam games.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I just want to say that so far, I'm really enjoying this game. Much more so than I enjoyed the beginning parts of either Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1. I don't feel like I'm punished nearly as much for exploring, and it's making the game a real treat to play. Also, every other goon in this thread is so bad at video games. People are missing super obvious stuff because they aren't exploring.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Kimmalah posted:

I just don't like PVP (especially in water), I like exploring the areas uninterrupted. I wasn't worried about losing stuff, just not my cup of tea.

Don't worry Rats can be huge assholes and usually hide behind the hordes they have unlocked in the Doors of Pharos. Also since you're invading them, the Black Crystal should work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

NullDragon posted:

That fight is entirely optional though. He should just go somewhere else if he's stuck, not keep trying that fight.

You're supposed to go to Heide's after killing the first boss. You can do that one, but if you have trouble just mosey on and come back later.

Kimmalah posted:

Invasion is really intimidating but once you allow yourself outside of your bubble of comfort, you might find its the most fun you'll ever have in Dark Souls. People are the best bosses.

I guess you can always save that for your next character though :cheeky:

Switched.on posted:

I just want to say that so far, I'm really enjoying this game. Much more so than I enjoyed the beginning parts of either Demon Souls or Dark Souls 1. I don't feel like I'm punished nearly as much for exploring, and it's making the game a real treat to play. Also, every other goon in this thread is so bad at video games. People are missing super obvious stuff because they aren't exploring.

I guess the thing is that other videogames kinda train you not to explore and not to expect thinking or exploring to reward you. But Dark Souls really, really does.

In Kay's Lets Play blind Dark Souls run she managed to figure out nearly everything by herself in her first run, just because she took notes and really explored.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
So what's the deal with toggling guard (holding up the shield) vs. bringing it up by clicking?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Does the sublime bone dust improve your estus permanently?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yes. Nothing is "per-bonfire" now. Shards are permanently more flasks, bone dust is permanently + to how much healing a flask gives.

neetengie posted:

Don't worry Rats can be huge assholes and usually hide behind the hordes they have unlocked in the Doors of Pharos. Also since you're invading them, the Black Crystal should work.

Are you sure black crystal works for invasions?

The good news is since you're getting pulled into their world, if you die, you lose nothing. You keep your souls and humanity and whatever.

So being summoned into a rat-clan game means the odds are stacked against you, but its a free chance to kick somebody's rear end and show off how much better you are than them. And if you lose, whatever. Continue on from where you were.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Yes.

PirateBob posted:

So what's the deal with toggling guard (holding up the shield) vs. bringing it up by clicking?

Toggling is annoying as hell, since having your shield up all the time makes your stamina regen slower.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

HenryEx posted:

Got the fire sword and it's a big step up (i love poking stabs), but i'm hesitant to sink Souls into it because i'm not gonna upgrade my faith or int.

Do faith/int improve the fire effect or something? I'm playing a sorcerer and I'm tempted to keep upgrading it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Well poo poo. Now I feel like an idiot for leveling up a regular longsword... oh well, makes it easier to Power Stance 2 of them later! :black101:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Pierson posted:

be human

Thanks guys, I guess somewhere I picked up "it's not like Dark Souls 1" and figured that meant I could summon as a hollow this time around. Boy is my face red. Green. Also rotting.

You have other options than the Pursuer. You can go through Heide, kill the boss (or bosses) and progress from there. Not that you shouldn't kill the Pursuer too! :v:

neetengie posted:

I just don't have a lot of interest in it personally, nothing against those who enjoy it! But I'll remember it, that crystal's been in my inventory for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Cheston posted:

Do faith/int improve the fire effect or something? I'm playing a sorcerer and I'm tempted to keep upgrading it.

The damage is calculated between the average between the two.