Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Where do I get the 100% resist shield after Pursuer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

StashAugustine posted:

Where do I get the 100% resist shield after Pursuer?

Drop down onto the ledges after the Pursuer. Look before you leap though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cheston posted:

Do faith/int improve the fire effect or something? I'm playing a sorcerer and I'm tempted to keep upgrading it.

Your elemental bonuses are now shown on your character sheet, and when you look to level up it will highlight the stats to show you they go up. So yeah that's obvious dude pay more attention. Go highlight "Int" when you go to level and it'll tell you EXACTLY what that stat will do for you. Same with adaptability or faith or anything.

Also pressing the back button lets you highlight each stat if you don't understand what the icons mean yet, and it'll tell you which icon is which.

The game UI does explain the mechanics if you take the time.

To get it out of the way, Magic is based on your Int, Lightning is based on your Faith, Fire is based on Int & Fth, and Dark is the LOWER of Int or Fth.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

But I'll remember it, that crystal's been in my inventory for ages.

The crystal doesn't work if you're invading via Rat Bros.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
So instead of dropping the smooth and silky stone at the nest, I used it instead. Did I miss anything? :(

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That awkward moment when your PVP victim summons you for a boss. :stare:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Omniblivion posted:

The crystal doesn't work if you're invading via Rat Bros.

It should, shouldn't it? You're an invading phantom, you should have the option to go back into your world.

Zaphod42 posted:

To get it out of the way, Magic is based on your Int, Lightning is based on your Faith, Fire is based on Int & Fth, and Dark is the LOWER of Int or Fth.

Fire is the Average between the two.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Artificer posted:

So instead of dropping the smooth and silky stone at the nest, I used it instead. Did I miss anything? :(

The nest is now a roulette wheel. You may have gotten something good or something garbage.

You'll earn more roulette tokens as you play. No worries.

But yeah it could have been like a Demon's Great Hammer or titanite or something

Make sure you drop the stones and you don't throw them away! Different options!

Also you can now drop and pick up stones instantly without having to reload the game or switch zones.

neetengie posted:

Fire is the Average between the two.

Yes you said that on the last page, I don't know why you're being so :spergin: about it. Saying "Int + Faith = fire" and saying "Fire is the average" mean effectively the same thing, because there can always be additional diminishing returns formulas and such in the game mechanics on top of that. The important one is dark, which is dependent on the lower of the two. Raising either raises your fire.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

neetengie posted:

It should, shouldn't it? You're an invading phantom, you should have the option to go back into your world.

If it did, then people that entered those areas could just return home for free if they were in a bad spot. It makes sense that they didn't allow it for pvp covenants. (It definitely does not work).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Artificer posted:

They give you random items. Depending on the quality of the stone it can be really good stuff or literally garbage. They'll take prism stones too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

neetengie posted:

Think about it for a few more seconds. :downs:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Zaphod42 posted:

The nest is now a roulette wheel. You may have gotten something good or something garbage.

You'll earn more roulette tokens as you play. No worries.

But yeah it could have been like a Demon's Great Hammer or titanite or something

Make sure you drop the stones and you don't throw them away! Different options!

Also you can now drop and pick up stones instantly without having to reload the game or switch zones.

Yes you said that on the last page, I don't know why you're being so :spergin: about it. Saying "Int + Faith = fire" and saying "Fire is the average" mean effectively the same thing, because there can always be additional diminishing returns formulas and such in the game mechanics on top of that. The important one is dark, which is dependent on the lower of the two. Raising either raises your fire.

Can I get infinite goes at the roulette wheel then? There's a way to farm them?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Where do I get more torchs? These unlit sconces are must be lit

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Artificer posted:

You know that small white soapstone you have? That nets you smooth & silky stones every time you use it and succeed (either the shorter timer runs out or you beat a boss.)

There's also an area late in the game where you can farm Petrified Somethings, the best trade items.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Artificer posted:

You'll find them as loot, drops and rewards in plenty of places, yes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a quicker way to the Sentinels than the bonfire near the crazy dude? There's a ton of enemies you can't really dodge on the way to the fog door.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Dark Souls noob here.

I barely got to play so far but I found this huge monster after following some footprints right at the beginning of the game after getting my starting equipment. I am a Knight. To make a long story short, I tried to kill him about 10 times, got my butt kicked every time, barely felt like I was improving each attempt despite really trying, and now my total hp is very low. I got more familiar with his attacks, but it just seemed nearly impossible to get a hit in without getting pummeled right afterward even if I tried to dodge roll away immediately after attacking.

Three questions:

1. If you want to restore yourself easily and expect to do it a lot then what is the best way to go about this?
2. Is this monster that I am fighting "par for the course" or is he supposed to be extra challenging for those looking for a tough fight early on?
3. Tips on fighting him in general? Is he worth killing or should I skip him?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Artificer posted:

Use your small white soapstone right outside boss doors instead of the regular one, you will get smooth and silky stones, not sure if they're the small ones or not. Either way they give you a spin on the wheel.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012

a shameful boehner posted:

Looking forward to lore discussion with PC folks once they start getting a little bit deeper into the game.

For example, the argument over whether or not it makes sense how you get to a certain place in a world full of eagles that airdrop knights onto you and ghost ships and mechanically impossible elevators

To be honest the mechanically impossible elevators bug the poo poo out of me.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Xavier434 posted:

Dark Souls noob here.

I barely got to play so far but I found this huge monster after following some footprints right at the beginning of the game after getting my starting equipment. I am a Knight. To make a long story short, I tried to kill him about 10 times, got my butt kicked every time, barely felt like I was improving each attempt despite really trying, and now my total hp is very low. I got more familiar with his attacks, but it just seemed nearly impossible to get a hit in without getting pummeled right afterward even if I tried to dodge roll away immediately after attacking.

Three questions:

1. If you want to restore yourself easily and expect to do it a lot then what is the best way to go about this?
2. Is this monster that I am fighting "par for the course" or is he supposed to be extra challenging for those looking for a tough fight early on?
1. Small white soapstone. A few minutes of chilling with a host will get you human again.
2. The hippo guy isn't really supposed to be fought right at the start.
3. He drops a ring that increases poisebreak I think?

It's driving me crazy that greatswords are held hovering over my shoulder instead of actually resting on my shoulder pad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Artificer posted:

There's different tiers of tokens, but you can get all 3 of them pretty frequently. That was the highest tier.

Co-op with the small soapstone gets you the medium tier tokens :) So yes!

There's other ways too but that's the easiest to "farm"

You can get the high tier tokens from some enemies or as treasures in the game

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Dyna+and+Tillo

None of the starting gits are really all that special. So its NBD which you pick, or if you waste it.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

Dark Souls noob here.

Three questions:

1. Use the Small White Soapstone
2. He's a bit of a tough challenge, but the reward is worth it.
3. One to two hits when he falls on his rear end after he fails his 3 hit combo, make sure he doesn't devour you.

Zaphod42 posted:

It's because I'm a finicky rear end in a top hat.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Xavier434 posted:

Dark Souls noob here.

Three questions:

1) You need to use the item "Human Effigy" to restore your reduced HP pool. To heal, you can use one of the several healing items (life gems or estus flasks, etc)
2) That monster is completely optional and a challenge early
3) The easiest way to beat him is to stay by his back so he does his sitting attack- once he does that sitting attack, run to his back again and get a few swings in. He will continue to do that sitting attack as long as you are directly behind him (just don't get hit by it!)

Edit: human effigy, not "humanity" gently caress

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 25, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Elysiume posted:

1. Small white soapstone. A few minutes of chilling with a host will get you human again.

I am so new at this that I don't know what you mean. I have read about these soapstones a bit in posts but never really understood the big picture. I also don't know what you mean by "chilling with a host".

Omniblivion posted:

1) You need to use the item "Humanity" to restore your HP

How do I acquire these items early on?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Elysiume posted:

3. He drops a ring that increases poisebreak I think?

3. The ring makes your attacks do more poise damage. It's pretty nice with the caestus

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So ... you can be fully ambidextrious now? I switched my shield to right hand and unlike Dark Souls 1 I have the full moveset for the weapons in the left it looks like.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is the name people see in-game based off what you named your character?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If I wanted to dabble in some magic to supplement hitting things with a sword, should I go for Int or Fth?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a quicker way to the Sentinels than the bonfire near the crazy dude? There's a ton of enemies you can't really dodge on the way to the fog door.

Do you mean the guy you un-petrify? I think technically that is a shortcut because the standard way is longer. I just killed those guys until they stopped respawning.

Xavier434 posted:

Dark Souls noob here.

Three questions:

Even though he's at the beginning, that's not really a monster you want to fight up close starting off. I killed him with magic because he's too fat to fit through the door to his lair. :v:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Sober posted:

So ... you can be fully ambidextrious now? I switched my shield to right hand and unlike Dark Souls 1 I have the full moveset for the weapons in the left it looks like.

Yes. You can go right hand shield, left hand weapon if you want. Holding down Triangle/Y will make you 2hand your left hand weapon (or go into powerstance if you have two compatible weapons and the right stats

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is the name people see in-game based off what you named your character?

Yes. It is your character name. There's some name censoring going on too.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Sober posted:

Yes, and you can even powerstance two of the same class of weapons and get a new moveset! To powerstance, you have to have 1.5 the STR required for the weapon and you have to hold the (one handed -> two handed switch button).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a bonfire where the pursuer entrance takes you, but its not much faster. Sometimes you gotta fight through the level and the boss at once!

If it takes you too many tries they'll stop spawning :)

Xavier434 posted:

Dark Souls noob here.

Three questions:

Good job, that guy's a cyclops, and he's a secret that most dark souls noobs miss (hell most vets miss him)

You can always kill him later. He does drop a good reward. He is meant to be VERY challenging for the beginning of the game, a reward for pros.

If you're new, FEEL TOTALLY COOL with ignoring that guy, the rest of the enemies you face for HOURS will be easier than him.

1. lifegems, then estus flasks, and also human effigies
2. NOPE
3. you gotta dodge, he hurts BAD but he telegraphs his moves really bad too, just wait for him to do his slower attacks and then poke him a few times and run away, repeat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

If I wanted to dabble in some magic to supplement hitting things with a sword, should I go for Int or Fth?

They're both fantastic honestly. Hard to say.

Int will give you magic weapon which has more casts than faith which gives you sunlight blade.

But faith will give you group heals and buffs which is cool.

Probably Int.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

should I go for Int or Fth?

If you're just "Dabbling" in them, focus on either Fire or Hexes (in other words, get both Int and Faith at equal levels). You'll thank me later.

Edit:

Conveniently, both Fire and Hexes are extremely powerful in PVP as well. I would argue that they are more powerful than either Lightning or Magic in PVP. Namely because most magic spells are relatively easy to dodge, and even Helen Keller could dodge lightning spears

Omniblivion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 25, 2014

ThePineapple
Oct 19, 2009
I'm sure this has been asked, but I didn't see it in the OP. How does this game play on a keyboard and mouse? Do I 100% need a controller?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

They're both fantastic honestly. Hard to say.

Int will give you magic weapon which has more casts than faith which gives you sunlight blade.

But faith will give you group heals and buffs which is cool.

Probably Int.

I've found faith to be handier late game because lightning and hexes are pretty damaging with low stat requirements. Sorcery is good too early, but the stronger stuff demands pretty high INT.

Pyromancy is also awesome for killing groups once you level the flame.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ThePineapple posted:

I'm sure this has been asked, but I didn't see it in the OP. How does this game play on a keyboard and mouse? Do I 100% need a controller?

You 100% need either a controller or a autohotkey script to fix the mouse buttons. Outside of that, if you can stomach brawlers with KBM it's no worse.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

If you're new, FEEL TOTALLY COOL with ignoring that guy, the rest of the enemies you face for HOURS will be easier than him.

I feel relieved that this is not what to expect from most enemies that I commonly encounter going forward, but with all due respect gently caress that noise. This thing is going down tonight even if I have to do it at 50% of my hp. It's on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Artificer posted:

Small White Soapstone. You can find it near the merchant lady in the second bonfire in the Forest of the Giants. Every time you do your duty (farm some souls helping someone) you get another smooth and silky stone. Oh, doing your fraternal duty it also restores your humanity and it gives you all the benefits of resting at a bonfire without enemies respawning, so you can set one down, explore a bit, help a dude, then continue exploring fully refreshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah you want a controller.

Omniblivion posted:

If you're just "Dabbling" in them, focus on either Fire or Hexes (in other words, get both Int and Faith at equal levels). You'll thank me later.

Edit:

Conveniently, both Fire and Hexes are extremely powerful in PVP as well. I would argue that they are more powerful than either Lightning or Magic in PVP. Namely because most magic spells are relatively easy to dodge, and even Helen Keller could dodge lightning spears

You don't get fire weapon until NG+ though. You could burn an ascetic, but its easier for most players to go int and use magic weapon or dark weapon.

Xavier434 posted:

I feel relieved that this is not what to expect from most enemies that I commonly encounter going forward, but with all due respect gently caress that noise. This thing is going down tonight even if I have to do it at 50% of my hp. It's on.

Yeah I refused to move on until he died :black101: I almost got him my first try, but then he caught me. Then I got lazy and he killed me like 4 times in a row, until I finally got serious and focused and took him out.

You get a pimp ring for killing him as a reward!

Also there's a second cyclops up ahead in the tutorial area, also totally optional. That one's reward is stranger though; its guarding a coffin that lets you change genders :stare: