Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mcmagic posted:

Why can't they just lien his bank accounts/tax refunds?

That is what they are going to do now

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Is it accurate to say that every society ever has been racist? Lots of societies have been xenophobic, and a fair few have had extreme biases against other groups, but from what I've read and been taught, the kind of ingrained, structural racism that we deal with today is a result of a very specific path of development tied to Western modernity ideas of constructing nation-states around racial and/or ethnic identities which requires juxtaposing other racial and/or ethnic groups as being antithetical or somehow otherwise inherently different (see Andrea Smith's the Three Pillars of White Supremacy). Not saying that every society before the peace of Westphalia was dancing in a circle singing Kumbaya, but there's plenty of evidence that shows many ancient societies were racially and/or ethnically diverse or at the very least, not trying to kill other people solely based on being a different color than them.
It is accurate to say every society has been governed by rules of kin-selection, and our structural racism is just the current form of structural kin-selection strategies. Racism as we understand it now is a fairly modern invention. The structural discrimination under, say for example, the Romans had a very different feel to it. But there was definitely a structure in place to say who was us and who was other and the rights, protection, and access to resources for others was curtailed. It's why I buy into the idea Jamelle Bouie advances of viewing racism as more of a caste system than a grouping of hatreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Reindeer, that being said, what is your opinion on open carry?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

You're right in the sense that racism as we see it and as it is practiced today is a relatively recent development. But I don't think you could find a society in which bigotry in some form or another existed. Humans are going to otherize groups and classes of people, and it's that otherization that's the problem, rather than the specific flavor of bigotry applied.

Just as an example, the Iroquois Confederation is often used as a positive example of how people can be free and peaceful but from external reports if you weren't part of the Confederation they would hunt you down and murder your entire family before taking your land for their own.

So you know, business as usual.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

ReindeerF posted:

I'll take credit here, though I'm sure you had the same realization independently. I have all of you beat by about seven years on this one. I grew up with guns and still own two back home, but a very specific thing happened sometime in my teens when the gun, for many people, became a fashion accessory. Back before TFR (I also bought the original "Total loving Rednecks" SA banner) cleaved off the gun nutters from D&D, they used to poo poo up every thread with their second amendment / John Lott nonsense. It's then that it's nice to come from a gun culture background where you were taught to shoot in sand pits at like 8, are familiar with firearms, have no problem with hunting as a concept and also be able to say, "You're no different than a bunch of teenagers running to the mall to buy the latest cool pair of shoes or nerds obsessing over the latest console or whatever. You're not using guns as a tool, you're wearing them as a fashion accessory. You're rich housewives bragging about your new purse." The last one really gets people going for obvious reasons.

I think I grabbed the exact articulation of it from Charles Pierce but I'm there right with you. My family was not gun friendly so my first real exposure to them was in the military, where it was hammered home that this is not a loving toy. It is a weapon, a dangerous tool with a very specific purpose, and if you use it for anything other than that purpose you are a loving idiot. So seeing people treat them like a status symbol instead of an object with a definite purpose pisses me off. Go buy an Audi if you want to claim you have a big dick, not an AR15. AR15s aren't for showing off, they are for killing and practicing to kill, nothing else. Treat them as such.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm wayyy behind in the thread reading about Hillary's VP choices so please excuse me, but I have a weird feeling that Hillary will not be the Democratic nominee in 2016. I'm not sure why other than it never seems to work out that way this far away from the election.

It looks more and more like Jeb will be the GOP nominee though. For a long time I would have bet Christie but we know how that turned out. Maybe Rand in the VP slot to shore up the conservative cred. By GOP standards, that's not a horrible ticket really.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm wayyy behind in the thread reading about Hillary's VP choices so please excuse me, but I have a weird feeling that Hillary will not be the Democratic nominee in 2016. I'm not sure why other than it never seems to work out that way this far away from the election.
At this point in 2007 she was up 23 points on her competition. Presently she is up 55. I think the only way she doesn't get the nomination is if she doesn't run

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

I think I grabbed the exact articulation of it from Charles Pierce but I'm there right with you. My family was not gun friendly so my first real exposure to them was in the military, where it was hammered home that this is not a loving toy. It is a weapon, a dangerous tool with a very specific purpose, and if you use it for anything other than that purpose you are a loving idiot. So seeing people treat them like a status symbol instead of an object with a definite purpose pisses me off. Go buy an Audi if you want to claim you have a big dick, not an AR15. AR15s aren't for showing off, they are for killing and practicing to kill, nothing else. Treat them as such.

I wonder how a "counter" protest would work where people show up with all sorts of tools, bragging about how open carry of saws and drills and hammers will lead to a society that rewards work and how condemning all these things to the basement and the shed is what's holding the country back. Because, you know, nothing says "I understand what this tool is used for" like carrying is around all the drat time and brandishing it like a little kid with a new action figure.

"Hey, come look at my new Ryobi vibrating multi-tool! Look, it's dayglo yellow, and the man at the store said it was contractor grade. I can cut things easily with it! I even get to wear a utility belt, like Batman! I'm a responsible adult!"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

At this point in 2007 she was up 23 points on her competition. Presently she is up 55. I think the only way she doesn't get the nomination is if she doesn't run

Eh, it's not like anyone else has really started acting like a contender apart from maybe Biden. Considering the non-Obama 2008 field consisted of the two of them, Edwards (lol), and a bunch of dudes who got a few percentage points each, I think we'd have to wait until some other people started actually raising their profile before we start making predictions like that.

The probable Republican candidates have been way better at making noise and drawing attention to themselves so far, for all the good it's done them.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 25, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Hillary wants it, the nom is hers. It's her loving turn.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

zoux posted:

If Hillary wants it, the nom is hers. It's her loving turn.

Gotta be careful with poo poo like this, it's how the GOP ended up with Romney 2012.

e: also how the Dems ended up with McAuliffe in VA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Gotta be careful with poo poo like this, it's how the GOP ended up with Romney 2012.

Actually it was the opposite of that because instead of everyone recognizing who the best candidate was for the party's chances at the White House and standing aside they had retard thunderdome for eight months and ended up where they should've started from in the beginning.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

loquacius posted:

No one really wanted Romney, whereas Hillary isn't really divisive unless you're mcmagic and/or still care about how people voted for the Iraq War.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Spoilers Below posted:

I wonder how a "counter" protest would work where people show up with all sorts of tools, bragging about how open carry of saws and drills and hammers will lead to a society that rewards work and how condemning all these things to the basement and the shed is what's holding the country back. Because, you know, nothing says "I understand what this tool is used for" like carrying is around all the drat time and brandishing it like a little kid with a new action figure.

"Hey, come look at my new Ryobi vibrating multi-tool! Look, it's dayglo yellow, and the man at the store said it was contractor grade. I can cut things easily with it! I even get to wear a utility belt, like Batman! I'm a responsible adult!"

This would accomplish - at most - nothing, but it is certainly a hilarious mental image :tipshat:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I'm getting a Biden -> Clinton Secretary of State vibe.

He's certainly trying out the diplomat shoes lately.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Let's say you're a 12 term, 90 year old, Republican Congressman from Texas in a R+21 district. What do you spend your campaign donations on?

If you're Ralph Hall, the answer to that question is obviously $33,000 worth of ham and chocolate. :hellyeah:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

the kind of ingrained, structural racism that we deal with today is a result of a very specific path of development tied to Western modernity ideas of constructing nation-states around racial and/or ethnic identities which requires juxtaposing other racial and/or ethnic groups as being antithetical or somehow otherwise inherently different (see Andrea Smith's the Three Pillars of White Supremacy).
Go read this essay by the way, if you haven't heard of it, it's easy to find. I know this thread loves it some Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Smith is the same type of stuff though a feminist and native perspective.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Joementum posted:

Let's say you're a 12 term, 90 year old, Republican Congressman from Texas in a R+21 district. What do you spend your campaign donations on?

If you're Ralph Hall, the answer to that question is obviously $33,000 worth of ham and chocolate. :hellyeah:

Finally, a politician that shares my spending priorities!

Alternate take:

Now that's pork barrel spending!

Seriously though, it's a pretty sensible move. If you are in a low population area like that the personal touch is the way to go. I knew an IL state rep who made a point to speak with every voter in his district directly at least once between election cycles. The bigger campaign people who came through didn't get it, but he did it every time and kept winning, so there you are. Sending your constituents ham and chocolate is on the same level. It shows you are thinking of them and establishes a personal connection.

Besides, here we have a republican donating food to people less rich than him. That's like finding a unicorn

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I've already seen two articles claiming that Bundy was taken out of context, as proved by his talk about how Mexican people aren't that bad.

Can someone please explain to me the context where implying black people were better off under literal chattel slavery is ok. Please. Go for it. I'm pretty sure everyone got the bullshit point he was trying to make already. Government bad. We got it. Thanks for the clarity.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Emron posted:

I've already seen two articles claiming that Bundy was taken out of context, as proved by his talk about how Mexican people aren't that bad.

Can someone please explain to me the context where implying black people were better off under literal chattel slavery is ok. Please. Go for it. I'm pretty sure everyone got the bullshit point he was trying to make already. Government bad. We got it. Thanks for the clarity.

"Here is my impression of a racist rear end in a top hat. Ready?"

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Uh, clearly you took it out of context as well, good sir!

He said Spanish people aren't that bad even if they don't follow the laws that the Constitution set out for immigration. They're the good ones, because they work and live in a way he approves of and also benefits him.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Joementum posted:

Add weed and beer and, if I somehow make it to 90, that'll look a lot like my weekly shopping list, so eh whatever.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Uh, clearly you took it out of context as well, good sir!

He said Spanish people aren't that bad even if they don't follow the laws that the Constitution set out for immigration. They're the good ones, because they work and live in a way he approves of and also benefits him.

Another Project Veritas plot, foiled again.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

I don't know how typical I am as a voting Democrat, but in 2008, I voted for Obama over Hillary in the primary because I really bought into Obama's idea that he could bring civil discourse back to Washington, and felt that Hilary would be more divisive. Roughly 2 months into Obama's first term, I had already fully realized how naive I had been to think so.

It seemed to me that this was a pretty common mode of thought among registered Democrats. I felt like leading up to the election and inauguration, I would talk excitedly with other Democrats about how great it was going to be to return to a post-partisan America...and then around the time "our side" was giving everything away for nothing in return over the Stimulus was about the time all the literal same people were just wanting someone to hit the Republican bullies back, hard.

Deserved or not, I think Hilary is seen as someone who will indeed hit back, despite the fact that her husband had been known for negotiating. Since the election, I personally have come to identify more with the left wing of the party than with the larger tent of the party itself, and have definite reservations about her on those grounds. However, if my shift in perspective was not uncommon, and I don't think it was, then yeah, I think the nomination is hers to lose. I don't think we'll see another upstart like Obama this time, certainly not if one comes in like he did, claiming to be able to cut through the partisan-ship. I don't think the party is ready to buy that line again. I think the Democrats are about ready to elect a partisan fighter, and Hilary is at least perceived as such (largely thanks to the ways Republicans have painted her of course).

Maybe the most excitement we could hope for is if someone runs against her from the left, but while leftist thinking is more popular than it was, I don't think it's become anywhere near ascendant enough to dethrone Hilary...but it might push her platform slightly left. You can say what you want about Hilary, but like her husband, she'll support pretty much any idea that's has majority popularity in the country, and doesn't let useless things like personal principles stand in the way.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justus posted:

I don't know how typical I am as a voting Democrat, but in 2008, I voted for Obama over Hillary in the primary because I really bought into Obama's idea that he could bring civil discourse back to Washington,

Yeah we pretty much all did.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Though to be fair he didn't fail due to lack of trying.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

computer parts posted:

Though to be fair he didn't fail due to lack of trying.

No, it's because Republicans predictably (in hindsight) responded to his outreach by going "Oh, so your big thing is bi-partisanship, huh? And...that means all we have to do to turn you into a failure is refuse to be negotiated with? Ha...ha ha... HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Justus posted:

No, it's because Republicans predictably (in hindsight) responded to his outreach by going "Oh, so your big thing is bi-partisanship, huh? And...that means all we have to do to turn you into a failure is refuse to be negotiated with? Ha...ha ha... HAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Well that and his own party refused to stand together half of the time (because big tent politics).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justus posted:

Obama isn't blameless in all this mate.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

Add former US Representative Joe Walsh to the list of people still defending Cliven Bundy and his position on slavery government dependency.

From a few pages back but I just have to say that every time I see or hear the name Joe Walsh, this goes off in my head.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So how do you say something so stupid even local Tea Party people disown you? Ask Drew Turiano:
http://mtstandard.com/news/local/turiano-says-he-s-his-own-man-in-house-race/article_2c1e529a-cb4f-11e3-b3a0-001a4bcf887a.html

quote:

Turiano, 40, has run a low-key campaign, raising and spending little money, but has drawn controversy.

He received sharp criticism for his proposed “Operation Wetback” a plan to round up and deport all illegal immigrants and their American-born children.

Although Turiano has called himself a Tea Party Republican, the Montana Tea Party Coalition has denied any affiliation with him.

“I believe in a moratorium on all immigration to America,” he said. “The reason I believe in that, it will be the end of conservatism in this country. The majority of immigrants who come to America are big government people. They’re going to mostly support the party of big government, the Democrat Party. They will not support the party of small government, the Republican Party.

Congressional improvements. “Congress is seen as corrupt,” he said. “In a lot of cases, it is that. I’ll try to be as ethical as I possibly can.”

The good news is, I live in Helena and have never heard of this guy.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Emron posted:

Anyone claiming that Bundy isn't racist at this point has the bar for 'racist' set so high that no living person qualifies. Bundy can't be a real racist unless he's covered from head to toe in swastika tattoos, wears a klan hood 24/7, and reflexively shoots every minority that crosses his field of vision. Since Bundy is apparently OK with some "Spanish" people, he can't possibly be that elusive "true racist" and is just somehow misunderstood.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

So how do you say something so stupid even local Tea Party people disown you? Ask Drew Turiano:
http://mtstandard.com/news/local/turiano-says-he-s-his-own-man-in-house-race/article_2c1e529a-cb4f-11e3-b3a0-001a4bcf887a.html

The good news is, I live in Helena and have never heard of this guy.

quote:

About Drew Turiano

Office sought: U.S. House.

Office salary: $174,000.

Political party: Republican.

Birth date and place: Born March 12, 1974, in Mount Kisco, N.Y. Moved to Montana in 2006.

Home: Helena.

Family: Single.

Education: Graduated from Pleasantville (N.Y.) High School in 1993. Received bachelor’s degree in political science from Pace University in New York in 1998 and master’s degree in political science from Fordham University in New York in 2004.

Past employment: Wrote a science fiction book that he self-published, “George Buchanan Enters the Wormhole.”

Military: None.

Political experience: Communications director for Michael Lange’s U.S. Senate campaign in 2008. Lost Republican primary race for secretary of state in 2012.

:lol:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

zoux posted:

I can't imagine why or how.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
No guys, right-wing politician Hillary Clinton will unite with the right-wing Democratic Party to fight to move our country to the left!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Michael Grimm (R-NY) will be indicted for campaign finance violations and the GOP is stuck with him on the ballot in that district.

Meanwhile, Steve Stockman is facing a House Ethics violation for bad FEC filings, which may be connected to the fact that he decided to accept bitcoin donations.

And a candidate for Lt. Gov. of South Carolina wants to abolish public schools because they aren't in the Bible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4_DaY3Uzis

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Joementum posted:

And a candidate for Lt. Gov. of South Carolina wants to abolish public schools because they aren't in the Bible.

He's gonna feel so silly when he remembers that America isn't in the Bible.

...wait, he isn't a secessionist, is he?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Joementum posted:

Neither was the united States of America, should it be abolished too?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Joementum posted:

Michael Grimm (R-NY) will be indicted for campaign finance violations and the GOP is stuck with him on the ballot in that district.
This is the guy who got caught on camera threatening to throw a reporter (who asked about the charges) off a balcony

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

pangstrom posted:

This is the guy who got caught on camera threatening to throw a reporter (who asked about the charges) off a balcony

A reporter related to one of the big time Mafia families, no less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

quote:

A spokesman for Ratcliffe noted Hall sent a 7-pound ham to Ratcliffe after Ratcliffe announced he was running against the 90-year-old incumbent.
“After six votes to increase the debt ceiling, and support for bloated farm bills, cash for clunkers and billions in earmarks, this level of questionable spending from Ralph Hall is unfortunately not surprising,” Ratcliffe spokesperson Daniel Kroese said. Ratcliffe is wealthy and is largely self-funding his congressional bid.

What a dick. It's one thing to attack your opponent, it's another thing to attack your opponent for giving you a ham for Christmas.

• Locked thread