Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

twistedmentat posted:

Wolverine is going to die in that book, but still be alive in all the other books he's in.

And great, I'll grab uncanny x-force trades once next time I got some money. Maybe i should just get Marvel unlimited, all this stuffs on there,and its only what, $60 a year?

The Omnibus for Uncanny X-Force came out not too long ago.
It's a steal, especially at that price for 30+ issues:
http://www.amazon.com/Uncanny-X-For...+Xforce+Omnibus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I suppose impending announcements will further clarify this, but it sure sounds like Death of Wolverine was originally going to happen in the Wolverine ongoing. Perhaps a response to underwhelming sales of the latest relaunch?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Barry Convex posted:

I suppose impending announcements will further clarify this, but it sure sounds like Death of Wolverine was originally going to happen in the Wolverine ongoing. Perhaps a response to underwhelming sales of the latest relaunch?

Yeah makes sense. Everything that Cornell has been doing with the book has been leading to this and Marvel seem to be sticking with the kill Wolverine angle despite nobody caring about the book or run, might as well stick it in a different mini and burn it off during a month.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Waterhaul posted:

Bookwise it will no doubt be X-23 or someone like that taking over Wolverine spot for a while. Though I'd be alright without someone new running around in a Wolverine costume with fake claws.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wolverine and the X-Men becomes Nightcrawler and the X-Men or just gets renamed to something similar.

Wait why does someone need to take over for him? He isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Where at least the other characters have some sort of rationale for needing replaced.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah I would have gone with Storm and the X-Men but I don't think that's a title Marvel would put out but Nightcrawler having a solo book, a team book and taking another would make him a perfect Wolverine replacement :v:

Why not? If they're taking a chance with a solo Storm book, tacking on "and the X-Men" might attract fans of the other X-Men. Put Rockslide and Anole in there, and you'd have BSS reading it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Die Laughing posted:

Why not? If they're taking a chance with a solo Storm book, tacking on "and the X-Men" might attract fans of the other X-Men. Put Rockslide and Anole in there, and you'd have BSS reading it.

When did they announce a Storm ongoing? I don't think having a one shot of a character is taking a chance, especially when they've already done it for a million other characters.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 25, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Waterhaul posted:

When did they announce a Storm ongoing? I don't think having a one shot of a character is taking a chance, especially when they've already done it for a million other characters.
There's something in the July solicits. It's one of the 100th Anniversary books.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder if they're going to pull the old "death of the identity, not the character" dodge and we'll find out Logan's been living by himself in a log cabin in Canada.

"I got to sleep for nine hours!" :dance: "...bub."

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Wanderer posted:

I wonder if they're going to pull the old "death of the identity, not the character" dodge and we'll find out Logan's been living by himself in a log cabin in Canada.

"I got to sleep for nine hours!" :dance: "...bub."

He'll "die", but it turns out to be a ruse as he becomes a secret agent in a new series, Logan: Agent of B.U.B.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

goldenoreos posted:

He'll "die", but it turns out to be a ruse as he becomes a secret agent in a new series, Logan: Agent of B.U.B.

It will be a team up between him and the Goat from the upcoming Secret Avengers.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
WatX could easily just take the name X-Men Legacy vol 4 or 5 or whatever the hell it would be. If they don't rename it that'll be a pretty big indication that Wolverine won't be dead for more than a couple months.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
We're all missing an angle here: Ghostverine.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

We're all missing an angle here: Ghostverine.

Sabertooth takes over Wolverine's mind. He is now the Superior Wolverine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Sabertooth takes over Wolverine's mind. He is now the Superior Wolverine.

THE BUB IS CAST!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

THE BUB IS CAST!

They quickly realize something is up when he stops drinking and watching hockey.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Diet Poison posted:

WatX could easily just take the name X-Men Legacy vol 4 or 5 or whatever the hell it would be. If they don't rename it that'll be a pretty big indication that Wolverine won't be dead for more than a couple months.

I can't look it up, but Cable and Deadpool must have continued on for a year after Cable's death. I don't even think they showed his death in that series, it was off in an X-Men title.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

bobkatt013 posted:

They quickly realize something is up when he stops drinking and watching hockey.

By "they", you mean Yukio, who spends the next 15 issues trying to convince the X-Men to do something. The X-Men give no shits. The situation magically rights itself in time for The Wolverine 2.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Inkspot posted:

By "they", you mean Yukio, who spends the next 15 issues trying to convince the X-Men to do something. The X-Men give no shits. The situation magically rights itself in time for The Wolverine 2.

I expect more out of non slott writers. It's a three issue arc as people are written in character

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

bobkatt013 posted:

I expect more out of non slott writers. It's a three issue arc as people are written in character

Oh. If we're actually writing actual characters, …

Sabretooth mindswaps with Wolverine using some tech Mystique purloined. Shi'ar, maybe? Colossus and Nightcrawler instantly notice the difference, lure him into the Danger Room, and toy with The Superior Wolverine until he pleads to be swapped back. Cut to a very confused Sabretooth waking up in bed with an incredibly satisfied Mystique.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Wanderer posted:

That was how Cornell's "Killable" arc ended before the solo relaunched and immediately hand waved it away by having Logan say he was just being melodramatic.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, if we are going by conjecture from solicitations, Professor X is a Jerk(tm), Wolverine dies (again), and Storm gets a solo title. That sure sounds exciting :sigh:

And they just relaunched W&XM, so god knows what they are thinking.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

And they just relaunched W&XM, so god knows what they are thinking.

They'll just Batman & Robin it and replace the "Wolverine" in "Wolverine & the X-Men" with a different X-Man every issue until Wolverine comes back.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ice Man and the X-men!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

twistedmentat posted:

Ice Man and the X-men!

X-Man and the X-Men!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The most/only interesting thing I can think to do with it is play it meta, a stint of characters just waiting for Wolverine to pop back up or looking for him because he's Wolverine and Wolverine can't really be dead. Except he actually is.

If anybody takes over the mantle it'll be Jubilee as per the totes legit Battle of the Atom timeline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't there a spare Wolverine running around from the end of Best There Is or something?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rhyno posted:

Isn't there a spare Wolverine running around from the end of Best There Is or something?

Also, what happened to the second Wolverine from Age of Ultron (drat, that event sure was forgettable...)?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Isn't cool-rear end Xtreme eXiles Wolverine still around? He should be the Superior Wolverine.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

Decius posted:

Also, what happened to the second Wolverine from Age of Ultron (drat, that event sure was forgettable...)?

Alt-reality assisted suicide.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Mr. Maltose posted:

Isn't cool-rear end Xtreme eXiles Wolverine still around? He should be the Superior Wolverine.

Too busy having sex with Hercules.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah but his Hercules is dead per the terrible crossover before Age of Ultron.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I don't know about that. Exiles Wolverine (latest Exiles) is around and I think Albert (the robot who is friends with Elsie Dee) is still alive. Right?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Laura & the X-Men > Albert & the X-Men > Warmachinerine & the X-Men > Deathlokerine & the X-Men > All New, All Different Reborn Mullet Wolverine & the X-Men

There you go, sorted.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
In an episode of grief, Beast goes back in time to warn his now-dead "friend" Wolverine, but goes too far and ends up in James Howlette's time. Shrugging, Hank takes the youth back and enrolls him into Jean Grey's, thus giving birth to... Young Wolverine and the X-Men.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Probably Magic posted:

In an episode of grief, Beast goes back in time to warn his now-dead "friend" Wolverine, but goes too far and ends up in James Howlette's time. unbeknown to him his incursion causes a freed slave to get captured and forced to work on a plantation in Canada where his life is saved by Howlett via a blood transfusion, granting him the powers of the feral Wolverine! In an effort to make things right, Hank takes the young man back and enrolls him into Jean Grey's, thus giving birth to... Black Wolverine and the X-Men.

Gotta tie in with a popular movie!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cyclops goes back to the mansion in his free time and dresses up like Wolverine to lead that team.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Cyclops goes back to the mansion in his free time and dresses up like Wolverine to lead that team.

"Wolverine did you grow like a foot taller and lose 100 pounds of muscle?"

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
So anybody getting the feeling there's a shock Wolverine dies moment in Days of Future Past and this is just tying in?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Probably Magic posted:

In an episode of grief, Beast goes back in time to warn his now-dead "friend" Wolverine, but goes too far and ends up in James Howlette's time. Shrugging, Hank takes the youth back and enrolls him into Jean Grey's, thus giving birth to... Young Wolverine and the X-Men.

Finally a chance to make Wolverine a more modern hero, who just can't stop riding his longboard and taking selfies during combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Hugh Jackman was saying he feels like he could be replaced in the role if he decides he wants to move on recently.

• Locked thread