Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh, hey, I finally found the wharf everyone's talking about! I don't think it's supposed to look like this though...

What the picture doesn't show is everything blinking between pitch black and light up like that every half second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Alkydere posted:

Oh, hey, I finally found the wharf everyone's talking about! I don't think it's supposed to look like this though...

What the picture doesn't show is everything blinking between pitch black and light up like that every half second.

You stumbled upon the hidden wharf rave - enjoy it!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alkydere posted:

We've secretly replaced Alkydere's DS2.exe with a Super Meat Boy level. Let's see if s/he notices!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

neetengie posted:

You stumbled upon the hidden wharf rave - enjoy it!

I didn't realize this game came with an epilepsy warning. :v:

Ciaphas posted:

We've secretly replaced Alkydere's DS2.exe with a Super Meat Boy level. Let's see if s/he notices!

It was kinda hard to not notice the pain in the back of my eyes. :v: Though the cave from the bonfire actually looked kinda cool as it was more of blinking between white and grey.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What god are most people using for the name-engraved ring?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"Hey, lets try invading the Wharf, that would be a fun place to fight people!"

*Invasion ends in 3 sconds as target rolls into the ocean*

What a waste of an orb :argh:

Azuth0667 posted:

What god are most people using for the name-engraved ring?

I heard people in the thread say we were using the blood god so I picked that one.

EDIT: Oh hey, I have just BARELY enough HP to survive falling into the well now. Think I'll explore that since the run up to the Ruin Sentinels is getting old.

VVV He's an enemy. Think of him as this games Black Knight.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
If I can lock on to someone means hes hostile right? I see a dude in white armor chilling near a tree and don't want to agro a friendly and lock myself out of some subquest or something...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I heard people in the thread say we were using the blood god so I picked that one.

I love being summoned to help a person who immediately walks off the world. Two favorite were: the dark fortress area where a guy just walked straight down the rampart and ignored the huge chunks of missing path, and the guy who summoned me to help fight the dragon rider only he hadn't put up either rings and only lasted a single slap from the boss.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

AParadox posted:

If I can lock on to someone means hes hostile right? I see a dude in white armor chilling near a tree and don't want to agro a friendly and lock myself out of some subquest or something...

He's lazy enough to not attack you, but be ready if you poke at him.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Oh hey, I have just BARELY enough HP to survive falling into the well now. Think I'll explore that since the run up to the Ruin Sentinels is getting old.

VVV He's an enemy. Think of him as this games Black Knight.

Bring torches.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

neetengie posted:

It's not just the Mace, it's also the Club, and anything strike related. For Dex centric characters the Magic Mace you find will outdamage your other weapons.

Are there any strike weapons that are an unambiguous upgrade over the mace besides the giant clubs? Playing around with them it seems like the mace is the best all around one hander and if you're going heavy strength eventually the big silly clubs are better.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

When can I find something stronger than the Heide Knight Sword as a dex character? I'm up to the Smelter Demon and I want to change it up but everything I've tried is just significantly weaker even with upgrades.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

Bring torches.

I legit have no idea how to use torches. I picked some up but can't find them in my inventory or find a way to equip them. Its like they don't exist.

EDIT: Oh cool I got summoned to another guys world without doing anything and immediately killed because I had no idea what was going on.

That's fair :geno:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 25, 2014

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012
Broadsword at risk and I haven't seen a smith yet, and I have no repair consumables as far as I can tell, do I have to indefinitely store it for now?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pubbies in the Bastille are almost as dangerous as the boss. Please open all the doors and aggro everything at once, I'm sure we can take it.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Internet Kraken posted:

I legit have no idea how to use torches. I picked some up but can't find them in my inventory or find a way to equip them. Its like they don't exist.
Light them at a bonfire, frantically avoid enemies because you can't swap it out (it'll extinguish) and it sucks as a shield.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

FuzzySlippers posted:

Are there any strike weapons that are an unambiguous upgrade over the mace besides the giant clubs? Playing around with them it seems like the mace is the best all around one hander and if you're going heavy strength eventually the big silly clubs are better.

The club is better because of the A scaling. Both have the same STR requirement, but the DEX requirement is lower.

the Paper
Aug 12, 2003

SUP GANGSTA BRUTHAS. I BE DA BIGGEST PIMP IN DA HOOD

Phoix posted:

When can I find something stronger than the Heide Knight Sword as a dex character? I'm up to the Smelter Demon and I want to change it up but everything I've tried is just significantly weaker even with upgrades.

The Alonne knights drop their blacksteel katana which has S dex scaling after you upgrade it a few times.

AParadox posted:

Broadsword at risk and I haven't seen a smith yet, and I have no repair consumables as far as I can tell, do I have to indefinitely store it for now?

The repair system is different in this game, all of your items' durability is filled back up once you rest at a bonfire. But, if your item actually breaks (ie 0 durability), you have to go to one of the smiths and pay souls to have it repaired. You can also buy repair powder from certain NPCs (limited from the blacksmith, unlimited from the NPC in Drangleic Castle) that will fill up your durability if it's low, but it won't actually repair anything fully broken.

the Paper fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 25, 2014

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
It looks like the halberd can attack from behind a shield now, which is great. I don't really have enough endurance to make use of it, though. But it seems they fixed the weird tracking for spear thrusts from the last game. Well, I assume it applies to spears too, I actually haven't found one yet!

Also, large club is no longer poop-infused.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phoix posted:

Ricard's Rapier can be found at the bottom of the cave in the Copse and has S dex scaling out of the box (I think.) It breaks easy but can do a ton of damage really fast.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: Oh cool I got summoned to another guys world without doing anything and immediately killed because I had no idea what was going on.

That's fair :geno:

Light them at a bonfire (you'll have to toggle the control to do it), light them at another fire source or use flame butterflies to light them yourself. You can't equip them, they just appear when you light them.

I just mention that because the pit leads to somewhere incredibly dark and it's a good idea to bring a torch both to not fall to your death and light every single sconce you find down there.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Why do I get the message "Can't burn now" when trying to burn a human effigy?

edit: never mind. Figured out that you use them to restore max hp. What's the point in burning something?

vvv thanks.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 25, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

PirateBob posted:

Why do I get the message "Can't burn now" when trying to burn a human effigy?

You need to use them like a regular item, not burn them. Burning it makes you less likely to be invaded for a bit, which you can't do if you're not online or have killed the area boss. I think.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
This game is so stupid fun. I'm still awful at it but I've got the bonfire grid 75% full just from the fun of exploring.

The rat boss owns.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Why does my max HP go lower and lower? How do I reverse that?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ymgve posted:

Stop dying. It stops at 50%. Also if you co-op and finish your objective you'll be restored to human.

You also can eat a human effigy but they aren't unlimited.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

TheQat posted:

The rat boss owns.

Oh hey whats behind this fog doooooOOOOOOOOH GOD :stonk:

I had to burn through so many healing crystals because I didn't think ahead to have poison curing items equipped. However, once again I won because the boss hit me and died from my ring of thorns. Murdering Pate is looking less like a bad decision every fight!

What was the deal with that grey phantom though? I was summoned into someone elses world as one and had no clue what was going on. So I walk up to the guy thinking I'm a coop partner and then he shoved a lighting spear into my face.

EDIT: Oh my god I can worship a Rat King :lol:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 25, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

You need to use them like a regular item, not burn them. Burning it makes you less likely to be invaded for a bit, which you can't do if you're not online or have killed the area boss. I think.

Burning an effigy cuts off all online interaction in the area for a certain amount of time. This includes friendly stuff like summons. I don't think the area boss is a factor, that's for ascetics.

ymgve posted:

You lose a little health every time you die, stopping at 50% max health. You can get a ring that will up the cutoff to 75%. To reverse it, use a human effigy or co-op and don't die (or use life protection items).

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 25, 2014

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

havenwaters posted:

Also if you co-op and finish your objective you'll be restored to human.

Wait, does that work now? I know when it came out on consoles they decided that was a bug and took it out in a patch, but I haven't really played or paid any attention to the game since they did that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

VarXX posted:

Wait, does that work now? I know when it came out on consoles they decided that was a bug and took it out in a patch, but I haven't really played or paid any attention to the game since they did that.

The bug was that it didn't work every time. We had a bad translation from twitter. The game has worked this way since calibrations 1.04 so a couple weeks on consoles.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

VarXX posted:

It should have always worked, it was like that in DeS and DaS1, why would they take it out? I'm assuming the glitch was that it didn't always work.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Well dang. I was really pissed when I heard they were taking it out so I quit playing. It was really boring to have to run back to majula to repair the ring everytime I died. Good to know it actually works now though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VarXX posted:

Well dang. I was really pissed when I heard they were taking it out so I quit playing. It was really boring to have to run back to majula to repair the ring everytime I died. Good to know it actually works now though.

Um...then don't repair the ring and use an effigy every couple of deaths?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

So I'm finding a lot of "illusory wall" messages, but I attack the wall and it's as solid as ever.

Are those just trolls or is there something else needed to open illusory walls?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Anyone got any early game recommendations for sorceries/pyromancy? You can spoil it if you want, I already beat it on PS3 but I wanted to play a wizard. I'm just using soul arrow and greater soul arrow and it's eh. I found the spell dude in wharf but didn't know what to buy.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Nelson Mandingo posted:

So I'm finding a lot of "illusory wall" messages, but I attack the wall and it's as solid as ever.

Are those just trolls or is there something else needed to open illusory walls?

You can also press A instead of attack. Sometimes people put that message in front of a regular wall as a lark.

edit not quote

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

havenwaters posted:

Stop dying. It stops at 50%. Also if you co-op and finish your objective you'll be restored to human.

You also can eat a human effigy but they aren't unlimited.

So...people like me that die A LOT will have an even tougher time. Who thought that was a good idea?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

ymgve posted:

So...people like me that die A LOT will have an even tougher time. Who thought that was a good idea?

Use a Small White Soapstone, just help kill a few dudes and you'll go back to human form with a Smooth and Silky stone, it's not bad at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can fully restore your humanity using the small white soapstone, entering someones world, and killing some enemies with them for a bit. You keep all the souls from it and once its done you come back to your world fully human. Its quick and easy, probably the best way to get rid of the health penalty in early areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AParadox posted:

It auto-repairs when you rest unless it's outright broken, keep a second weapon handy in case the first runs low.