Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Archenteron posted:

There's no Red Eye Orb in this game, and Cracked Red Eye Orbs are a little more limited. Most pvp is either in the Bell Towers, the Ratbros (to a limited definition of pvp) and the Redbro Duel Arena, or NG+.

Also you don't need to be human to be invaded anymore.

Oh man, that kinda sucks. I'll miss turning human in specific areas and basically screaming 'COME AT ME BRO' at the top of my lungs til someone showed up and reduced my unskilled rear end to a fine red mist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

MrTheDevious posted:

So how exactly ARE you supposed to fight packs? There's never even a slight pause in their attacks. Not to mention if you backstab one, the rest just assrape you

Strafe, know their attack patterns, attack when you're not vulnerable. Lure things out and know when to just run through. Keep throwing knives around.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

It'll take a while. At some point (clearing Iron Keep) someone in Majula restocks with infinite numbers of smalls, and there's a thing you'll get in the same zone that'll open up another vendor who has larges. Small and large shards are more precious earlier on than they really should be, imo. Chunks you can get easily through the Bellkeepers. Easily as in like 30 in two hours massacring people.

It's really lovely that you can't buy infinite shards right off the bat. Weapons cap up to +3 which pretty much means they're only useful in starter areas, you know, the point in the game where you're experimenting with different weapon types? It's ridiculous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archenteron posted:

The sentinels both are what you said (Though, again, more of a thing in NG+ due to that invasion limitation thing), as well as the Drangleic Police. Let me tell you, murder all your NPCs at the end of a run to rack up the sin, then head to Heide's Tower in NG+ and boy howdy you will have a neverending stream of the po-po.

Oh they take the role of the darkmoons too? That makes it a little better then. Mostly I just want to do any pvp, I'm six hours in and nothing.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kawabata posted:

It is. You will encounter bosses that have a move that insta-depletes your stamina followed by a 3 hits combo. Most trash mobs, and almost all the bosses have such wide swings for every attack that you will get hit regardless, and rolling is terrible now. Also the rat horde fight is the shittiest, worst designed, clunkiest boss fight I've ever seen. It would be an easy one too, what makes it frustrating is the fact that your weapon keeps hitting those loving small statues all the time.

That fight is easy as heck if you have a bit of AoE damage. I think there are a lot of fights in this game that reward flexibility, and just because it's hard to force something using one set tools doesn't make it bad. It's not like the bonfire is far, either.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When in a power stance (I've got two daggers and I'm gonna use em damnit), am I safe in assuming each weapon's attack power is taken into account for its respective hit in a power attack, or does it do something obtuse like only use the left-hand weapon's stats or something?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Ciaphas posted:

When in a power stance (I've got two daggers and I'm gonna use em damnit), am I safe in assuming each weapon's attack power is taken into account for its respective hit in a power attack, or does it do something obtuse like only use the left-hand weapon's stats or something?

Oh my god I can use two rapiers?!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

So how exactly ARE you supposed to fight packs? There's never even a slight pause in their attacks. Not to mention if you backstab one, the rest just assrape you

Two handing a big-rear end sword and getting in some wide slashes is working for me as well as it did in Dark Souls 1, but again I'm not that far in the game.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Maxmaps posted:

Oh man, that kinda sucks. I'll miss turning human in specific areas and basically screaming 'COME AT ME BRO' at the top of my lungs til someone showed up and reduced my unskilled rear end to a fine red mist.

If you've gotten to the Bastille, use a lockstone below the bonfire after the sentinel boss. The zone right after that should suit your needs.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Kawabata posted:

It is. You will encounter bosses that have a move that insta-depletes your stamina followed by a 3 hits combo. Most trash mobs, and almost all the bosses have such wide swings for every attack that you will get hit regardless, and rolling is terrible now. Also the rat horde fight is the shittiest, worst designed, clunkiest boss fight I've ever seen. It would be an easy one too, what makes it frustrating is the fact that your weapon keeps hitting those loving small statues all the time.

It definitely looks like certain bosses are designed to be only killed in coop (or steamrolled solo when you're hilariously over-leveled), but this creates cheesy moments like 1 phantom getting the boss attention and just blocking all the time, another hitting his butt, and you shooting with your crossbow 20 meters away. If it doesn't sound epic it's because it's really not.

So yes, this is definitely the cheapest of the 3 DS in my opinion, and the least fair.

This is not at all what I wanted to hear since I live in South America with shittacular internet and can't play coop :sigh:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Anyone got those mouse scripts again? Just the simple one. Wanted to give it a try. Thanks.

M+KB isn't bad, but not being able to parry/shield bash/jump attack is kinda crippling.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
For those of you who want to get some random PvP on without going to NG+, once you beat the boss of Lost Bastille, so the Ruin Sentinels, you can go down a ladder in the bonfire room after the boss, and use a Pharros Lockstone to unlock an area called Bellfry Luna. Wander around in it for awhile. If you like what you find happens to you, talk to the midget at the entrance to sign up

Later in the game, there's a second one unlocked in much the same way, after the first boss of Iron Keep

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Archenteron posted:

For those of you who want to get some random PvP on without going to NG+, once you beat the boss of Lost Bastille, so the Ruin Sentinels, you can go down a ladder in the bonfire room after the boss, and use a Pharros Lockstone to unlock an area called Bellfry Luna. Wander around in it for awhile. If you like what you find happens to you, talk to the midget at the entrance to sign up

Oh poo poo I didn't know I was right next to it. I'm glad I was rewarded for slamming my face into those guys now. I probably don't stand a chance in PVP right now though but who cares!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I found the Gutters.

Why

Why

WHY :negative:

...is there anywhere I can buy poison resistant items?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Internet Kraken posted:

I found the Gutters.

Why

Why

:getin:

The thread title, and/or Rat King.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Ahaha the Belfry is crazy busy. I invade, kill the host, come back, and get summoned to do it all over again within seconds.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There's no Borderless Windowed solution yet, right?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I bought the Xbox version and I was lucky to even find someone invade me on the belfry in the Bastille. PC version? I take one step and i get invaded.

Also, I like how your character names are your actual summon names, not your account's name.

Archenteron posted:

:getin:

The thread title, and/or Rat King.

Lifegems can also be a useful way to guard against poison.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Internet Kraken posted:

I found the Gutters.

Why

Why

Got there, something spit at me from the dark, got poisoned, died. The bonfire is miles away.

yes this is a hard but fair game

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So I arrived in the Lost Bastille via ship. Is...the path to the boss really that short? One room with two dogs and a sickle-guy, another sickle-guy on the ramparts, then a few greatsword-wielding guys in the tower before climbing up to the boss. poo poo's weird, and there's a lot of locked doors I can't access right now and I see no way forward except the boss. I suppose I could go back and warp in to the Griffon bonfire and see if there's a key or something that way.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

If you've only gotten to the gutters, you're in for a pleasant surprise.

Note 1: life gems counter poison
Note 2: once you pass through gutters a few times, there is a path that you can use to blow through the area in 2 minutes.
Note 3: Use a torch! Light all sconces that you can in that area

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kawabata posted:

Got there, something spit at me from the dark, got poisoned, died. The bonfire is miles away.

Its the loving statues. Also the bonfire isn't nearly as far as it looks. The layout of this place is a nightmare though, I have no clue where anything is because its so dark. Frankly though, I don't WANT to know what this place looks like so I'm glad its dark.

EDIT: Gravity is your biggest enemy honestly.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Kawabata posted:

I think you missed the bonfire. It's not far.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Should I be sorta high level to beat Heide's Tower of Flame or something? I'm finding it really difficult to beat these giant knight bastards. The first three went okay with some healing, but the place where two knights gang up on you .... ugh.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Kawabata posted:

The Gutter is probably the smallest (yet most densely packed) area in the game and has 2 bonfires? One is fairly hidden but there other is pretty much right at the start.

PirateBob posted:

Should I be sorta high level to beat Heide's Tower of Flame or something? I'm finding it really difficult to beat these giant knight bastards. The first three went okay with some healing, but the place where two knights gang up on you .... ugh.

Your options are to summon help, lure them out and take them on 1 on 1 (one of them will leash eventually), or just come back when you're a bit more prepared.

The Crusher fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 26, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's really lovely that you can't buy infinite shards right off the bat. Weapons cap up to +3 which pretty much means they're only useful in starter areas, you know, the point in the game where you're experimenting with different weapon types? It's ridiculous.

That's not even remotely true. The game is balanced very similarly to demon's, which means you will be perfectly fine even with +3 weapons for everything prior to the halfway point.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA The Dragon Rider was the most loving pathetic thing.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
^^^^^^^ 1....2....3.....4.....5....6 -> roll past him to the right -> free boss kill

PirateBob posted:

Once you get used to the attack sequences, it's not as bad. Just really make an effort at noticing their patterns. Even with 2 of them, the shield dudes are pretty easy. Just bait their attacks and roll away, then get a swing or two in.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
"Hurrah for skeleton!" Is my new Praise the Sun.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA The Dragon Rider was the most loving pathetic thing.

Considering there's a very easy trick to make him kill himself, yes this statement is 100% accurate.

His armour is cool as hell though :allears:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even without the trick he's not hard, he telegraphs his attacks heavily and you can roll through them. The only reason he killed me was because I kept expecting him to pull out a 3 hit combo, but no he never did. The fact that he stayed slow and sluggish the whole fight threw me off and caused me to make a dumb mistake.

Second time I just crushed his slow fat rear end.

EDIT: Wow, the Gutters is actually one of my favorite things yet because the gimmick with the statues is great. That place went from utterly terrifying to pathetic once I realized that the horrible poison and sickening heart beat was actually just coming from the nondescript statues. What a weird place.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 26, 2014

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Going to stream a couple more hours of my first playthrough here in a minute or two: http://www.twitch.tv/gos_jim Stream over! Will probably do more tomorrow at some point!

sighnoceros fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its the loving statues. Also the bonfire isn't nearly as far as it looks. The layout of this place is a nightmare though, I have no clue where anything is because its so dark. Frankly though, I don't WANT to know what this place looks like so I'm glad its dark.

EDIT: Gravity is your biggest enemy honestly.

You can break the statues and that will stop the poison. The darkness is obviously why I mentioned torches - besides helping you navigate, you can use them to light sconces in the area that will be permanent environmental lighting. It's still really loving dark, but that helps. There's a light sorcery too.

As for poison, Gavlan sells poison moss, there are monsters that drop it in another area you haven't been to yet called Huntsman's Copse, stuff like Divine Blessing the miracle Caressing Prayer will also cure it.

But yeah even with lighting I think that was my least favorite place in the whole game. :negative:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Is there an easy run over to the chariot bro or am I going to have to pull all those fuckers with ranged attacks every time I want to try it?

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
So what are torches for?

Do they actually reveal anything or is it some dumb lighting gimmick?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

bef posted:

So what are torches for?

Go to the gutter and come back.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

KoldPT posted:

Is there an easy run over to the chariot bro or am I going to have to pull all those fuckers with ranged attacks every time I want to try it?

Which ones? You mean the guys on the pillars? If so, yes.

bef posted:

So what are torches for?

Lighting dark areas mostly. You can also set certain things on fire which can be immensely helpful in some levels. I don't feel like it's a gimmick, you genuinely need them in some levels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I still can't figure out how to use torches. It honestly feels like my game is bugged because as far as I can tell the item doesn't exist.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

KoldPT posted:

You don't need ranged, you can pull them one at a time by getting close enough for one to jump down then backing off.

Internet Kraken posted:

I still can't figure out how to use torches. It honestly feels like my game is bugged because as far as I can tell the item doesn't exist.

It's not an item. Stand next to a bonfire and use the "toggle" prompt button at the bottom of the screen.

re: torches
They have a few uses:
Burning a thing in one level to make the boss easier
Seeing ledge cutoffs without pointing your camera straight down in a late-game water area
Producing Light in a late-game area (you might not want to :colbert:)
Seeing ledges below you in a couple dark places

Other than that, they don't serve much use. They were kind of scrapped when the lighting system changed because you don't need them to see anymore (thank goodness!)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Walk up to a bonfire until it says "Rest at bonfire." There will be a button you can push to toggle the command to "Light the Torch." If it absolutely won't give you the option to toggle, you have no torches.

Alternatively, walk up to a burning brazier/sconce thing (like the ones on the tripods) until it says "Light the Torch." Or go into your inventory and use a flame butterfly, but I'd save those for when you need them.