Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i have not been in the "reading camera nerd poo poo on the internet" game long but does steve huff ever NOT love something? has steve huff ever just like... completely trashed a product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Twenty-Seven posted:

i have not been in the "reading camera nerd poo poo on the internet" game long but does steve huff ever NOT love something? has steve huff ever just like... completely trashed a product?

I don't read too much of him, but from what I understand he gets a lot of stuff for free to review, hence his enthusiasm.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Twenty-Seven posted:

He didn't like Fuji cameras until the X-T1.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Mitakon 50mm f/0.95 lens announced for FE mount.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/mitakon-50mm-f0-95-full-frame-e-mount-officially-announced/

Steve Huff got #00001 so I'm sure it's going to be the mostest super awesomest lens in the universe.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

He didn't like Fuji cameras until the X-T1.

I remember him going nuts over the X100 when it came out, but he always saves his most slavish praise for Leica no matter how absurdly stupid the product is because he is on their payroll.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

STEVE HUFF posted:

So to those who will come here and comment and bash the D-Lux 5 because it is $300 more, know that you do indeed get MORE with the camera as well as the joy of owning a Leica :)

That is a stellar review, brb selling my Fuji gear.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

d0s posted:

I remember him going nuts over the X100 when it came out, but he always saves his most slavish praise for Leica no matter how absurdly stupid the product is because he is on their payroll.

Did anyone ever find out what the difference was between the D-Lux5 and LX5 apart from the logo?

I read the word 'improved software' everywhere, but never found any details. I've seen a couple of people say that the colour rendition is fractionally different, but nothing more than that.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

So a mirrorless slow zoom is going for roughly the same price as a refurbished Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II? I know it's Leica but wow.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Oh, 30 new posts in the mirrorless thread! *click* Oh.

Steve Huff goes nuts over Leica because it gets Leica fans to read his reviews, and Leica and Leica resellers to put ads on his site, and that's where he gets a bulk of his money from. He's a nice guy, but he knows who pays the the six+ figures his site brings in.

Edward IV posted:

Well it is using the sensor from the NEX-3N. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the electronics came from one too.

I can only imagine what kind profit Leica is getting since they're using such an old and lower grade sensor that the sensor and electronics can't cost that much. Then I find out that the body is milled from 1.2 kg of aluminum down to just 94 g. :stare:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/04/24/solid-metal-creating-the-leica-t/5

That's 92% of its original mass cut away which means an awful lot of machining, milling, waste material, and money. That body probably cost more than the sensor and electronics combined. As a mechanical engineer, I just feel appalled at all that waste.

So much for selling them for a high profit. :v:

It's aluminum. You can collect and reform it - do you think Apple just discards the waste from making a MacBook? Yes, it's an expensive way of doing things, but it's not like the material evaporates.

Anyway, I do think that the new Leica camera is everything that's good and terrible about the company. Beautiful design, ridiculous everything else. They're holding to the old attitude of doing things - a more complex lens that is completely optically corrected, rather than taking advantage of new technology and processing to do it in software and create something smaller and lighter.

They could do something incredible here - make something small, high-tech, beautiful, and amazing, but they like money too much, and it's hard to argue with that.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 25, 2014

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Steve Huff goes nuts over Leica because it gets Leica fans to read his reviews, and Leica and Leica resellers to put ads on his site, and that's where he gets a bulk of his money from. He's a nice guy, but he knows who pays the the six+ figures his site brings in.

Where do you get six figures? The posts of his I have read seem to imply that, while he loves his site, it isn't the most lucrative job there is.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Mirrorless Thread: LALALALALALALA LEICA SUCKS LALALALALAALALA

spend more time worrying about your own images and not what dick steve huff is sucking

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Musket posted:

spend more time worrying about your own images and not what dick steve huff is sucking

There are many image threads for posting images, talkin about cameras/hardware/making GBS threads on leica is what this thread is for :confused:

If you can't see and laugh at the immediate irony of this image I don't know what to tell you, son:

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Apr 25, 2014

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Where do you get six figures? The posts of his I have read seem to imply that, while he loves his site, it isn't the most lucrative job there is.

Friend works for a camera site and goes on all those press tours Sony (et al) flies everyone out for; these guys make quite a bit of cash.

Musket posted:

Welp this is the mirrorless thread and we're discussing a new mirrorless camera sooooooo

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Looks like the Sony A7s is going to be priced over $3000. That makes for a sad HPL. :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sucks. I'd been considering moving the the A7 series for everything, but the 7r I rented was pretty tricky to get solid focus with and $3k for the 7s is just too much, whatever its capabilities.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sony is working on curved sensors: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-is-very-very-very-serious-about-the-curved-sensor-tech-new-official-announcements/

I'm reading this to be a potential solution for full frame mirrorless sensors. This seems like a nice solution that doesn't need the currently non-existent organic sensor technology.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

spog posted:

Did anyone ever find out what the difference was between the D-Lux5 and LX5 apart from the logo?

I read the word 'improved software' everywhere, but never found any details. I've seen a couple of people say that the colour rendition is fractionally different, but nothing more than that.

One has a Pride Of Ownership feature, one does not :jerkbag:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

spog posted:

About $800

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

red19fire posted:

One has a Pride Of Ownership feature, one does not :jerkbag:

Easily replicable with Leica stickers!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

spog posted:

The LX5 has a comfortable grip.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

"You see those cameras from Sony? They’ve got curved sensors. Curved. Sensors."

Love how innovative Sony is, so I'll be watching for this.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spankmeister posted:

Sony is working on curved sensors: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-is-very-very-very-serious-about-the-curved-sensor-tech-new-official-announcements/

I'm reading this to be a potential solution for full frame mirrorless sensors. This seems like a nice solution that doesn't need the currently non-existent organic sensor technology.

Was there any (medium format) film camera with curved back plate? Seem to be very easy to execute on analog media, if it actually improve IQ.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't thing it's really to improve IQ universally, just a way to deal with that digital sensors tend to react funny to light coming in at shallow angles with the short distances that mirrorless designs create. Sony has been working on organic sensors to try and improve this, but I guess curving the sensor is cheaper or easier.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
How is a curved sensor not going to wreck hell with the concept of the focal plane?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

thetzar posted:

How is a curved sensor not going to wreck hell with the concept of the focal plane?

Redesign the lenses to have a curved focal plane?

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
according to that little graphic there, the ideal focal plane is already curved.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Sony are obviously worried that they have too many lenses for their current system and must immediately design a new, incompatible sensor.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Isn't the curved sensor being designed along with a lens for the RX2? It's a fixed-lens FF compact

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

grack posted:

Isn't the curved sensor being designed along with a lens for the RX2? It's a fixed-lens FF compact

That'd be a cool use, they might be able to make the lens much shorter, which would suddenly make a FF fixed compact make a lot more sense.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

mediaphage posted:

Anyway, I do think that the new Leica camera is everything that's good and terrible about the company. Beautiful design, ridiculous everything else. They're holding to the old attitude of doing things - a more complex lens that is completely optically corrected, rather than taking advantage of new technology and processing to do it in software and create something smaller and lighter.

I didn't see this in your reply before, but according to the two reviews I've read that fancy $1700 slow zoom isn't completely optically corrected - it's apparently got substantial field curvature at wide angle.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Musket posted:

Ahahaha what the gently caress is this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The truth?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

If you had said "a poo poo post" instead, you'd be correct!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Digital Jesus posted:

If you had said "a poo poo post" instead, you'd be correct!

D-Lux 5 owner spotted.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

But I said... Never mind (Fuji forever :getin: )

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

grack posted:

I didn't see this in your reply before, but according to the two reviews I've read that fancy $1700 slow zoom isn't completely optically corrected - it's apparently got substantial field curvature at wide angle.

Ah, must've missed that. Even less of a point.

But yeah, I think the curved sensor stuff is interesting. Perhaps a smaller RX2, or a wider one. Or maybe a wacky medium format camera that's capable of using FE or full-frame A-mount lenses.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

The truth?

It doesn't make you a bad photographer to talk smack about tools or other photographers/people involved with cameras sometimes. That whole "you must be a pure soul only focused on ~your art~" thing is insecure as hell, lots of people do this poo poo for a living and have no interest in the purity of the artform, or they sell cameras, or they work in the industry somehow, or they use cameras as a tool and means to an end, or they collect cameras and don't take pictures because they're dumb weirdos who don't realize how fun it is. You're allowed to care about what tools you use, you don't have to be an ideologically pure postmodern Daido Moriyama before you're allowed to comment on gear/gear reviews.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Picked up a Fuji 60mm Macro for a song today ($320 used)

Updated the firmware and drat is this a fun lens to shoot with.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whatever7 posted:

Was there any (medium format) film camera with curved back plate? Seem to be very easy to execute on analog media, if it actually improve IQ.

Yes. It's particularly common in swing-lens cameras. I know that the (35mm) Horizon pano cameras have them for sure, as well as all of the Noblex cameras (35mm/120/LF).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New lens rumors from Fuji!

16mm f/1.4

120-400mm OIS

18-135mm bumped from f/3.5-5.6 to f/3.5-4.8