Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Yeah but do you really think the final boss stand is going to be named The Fool?

Nah, let's be real here. It's gonna be a Fool's Errand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

After all of the in episode talk about how the Tower represents a sudden end to a journey and all, I decided to look up the tarot definitions for the others.

Star: The beautiful images on the Star (17) attest to this tranquility. The woman pictured on Card 17 is naked, her soul no longer hidden behind any disguise. Radiant stars shine in a cloudless sky serving as a beacon of hope and inspiration.

Hermit: The Hermit (9) represents the need to find deeper truth. The Fool begins to look inward, trying to understand his feelings and motivations. The sensual world holds less attraction for him, and he seeks moments of solitude away from the frantic activity of society. In time he may seek a teacher or guide who can give him advice and direction.

Hierophant: Eventually, the Fool ventures out of his home into the wider world. He is exposed to the beliefs and traditions of his culture and begins his formal education. The Hierophant (5) represents the organized belief systems that begin to surround and inform the growing child. A Hierophant is someone who interprets arcane knowledge and mysteries.

Magician: The Magician is the positive side. He represents the active, masculine power of creative impulse. He is also our conscious awareness. The Magician is the force that allows us to impact the world through a concentration of individual will and power.

Chariot: The Chariot (7) represents the vigorous ego that is the Fool's crowning achievement so far. On Card 7, we see a proud, commanding figure riding victoriously through his world. He is in visible control of himself and all he surveys. For the moment, the Fool's assertive success is all he might wish, and he feels a certain self-satisfaction. His is the assured confidence of youth.

So, what I get from this is:

* Jotaro is hope/inspiration as the main protagonist of the arc.
* Joseph is his mentor, being the one who sets him on his quest and due to fighting against supernatural forces before.
* Avdol has conscious awareness that ties into his fortune telling and knowledge of Stands?
* Kakyoin represents education, not only being introduced in the episode where Jotaro goes back to school, but also telling Jotaro things about Hong Kong culture.
* Polnareff is really cocky?

Seems pretty accurate so far, though I might be grasping.

This is really accurate.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Vagithug posted:

Araki is a big fan of fashion design and whatnot.

Didn't he actually design some outfits that models wore and such? While some of his designs are really over-the-top (and I wouldn't have it any other way :allears:), Araki is usually really good at making outfits POP.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I don't know if he actually designed anything, but he was a major influence in the Japanese fashion scene a long while back.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Wark Say posted:

Didn't he actually design some outfits that models wore and such? While some of his designs are really over-the-top (and I wouldn't have it any other way :allears:), Araki is usually really good at making outfits POP.

He did some promotional material for Gucci a few years back, but I don't think he's actually designed anything.

Hace fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 26, 2014

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp
There was a JOJO fashion show I believe but due to spoilers I am not going to post pictures!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

khy posted:

I've heard great things about this series but I can't get past the character design and art. It all looks so flamboyant and gay. I can't decide whether or not the series is trying to appeal to the homosexual male or heterosexual female demographics.

Yeah, wouldn't want to like something FOR GIRLS.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't know if there was a fashion show, but I know Araki had like an entire exhibit in his hometown of Sendai dedicated to 25 years of work he had done on JoJo and he's even in the Louvre for how good his art is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Even the old woman has insane 80's shoulder pads.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I don't know if there was a fashion show, but I know Araki had like an entire exhibit in his hometown of Sendai dedicated to 25 years of work he had done on JoJo and he's even in the Louvre for how good his art is.

I looked it up and it was some thing with shisedo? And it was in a few magazines and whatnot.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like, if your reaction to how fabulous Jojo is to ask "Is this marketed at gays or women? :ohdear:" Jojo might not be for you, because it only gets more fabulous from here, and also I don't like you.

couwy
Nov 9, 2009

~just feels good~

Vagithug posted:

I looked it up and it was some thing with shisedo? And it was in a few magazines and whatnot.

Yeah it was a colab with a hair and make-up stylist from Shiseido, Tadashi Harada, to commemorate the new headquarters opening in Ginza and a second shoot was done for request/ qj magazine. They were great photo shoots and I hope more will be done in the future.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you can't handle pretty men, handsome ladies, and fabulous poses, then yeah you should just get off the Jojo train. I mean, look at Joseph's stripper pants in all those Battle Tendency promo drawings. That's LOW on the Jojo homo-eroticism totem pole. God bless every mad person who helps make this series :allears:

As for the actual episode, Joseph's right hot colais a god drat crime.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I love how Joseph hates Japan but has no problem at all with Hong Kong.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No men from Hong Kong married Joseph's daughter and took her away from him.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I could never live in the Jojoverse. I'd wake right up when Shonen fights started happening on my plane.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

NTT posted:

Of course! Hong Kong still belonged to the United Kingdom at this point!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I could never live in the Jojoverse. I'd wake right up when Shonen fights started happening on my plane.

I think it was implied that Tower of Gray's user was putting everyone on the plane to sleep except the Crusaders, at least in the manga. It's been a while.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

NTT posted:

Remember, in the 80's HK was run in part by good, English-speaking white dudes from England. Joseph of course has no issue with that!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NTT posted:

They drink hot cola. That's a big problem. :colbert:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Robviously posted:

Oddly enough Polnareff's work's very good in the abstract as well once we learn more about our fine French friend. I mean, hell, tarot reading is basically all about merging the literal and abstract. I'm on my phone currently but once I get to my computer I'll make a more :effort: post in regards to Jotaro, Joseph, and the bizzare adventures of the Tarot.

This shot also gave me a priestly vibe, which would fit the Hierophant.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Superstring posted:

Of course! Hong Kong still belonged to the United Kingdom at this point!

He still loves his walkman though.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Dio actually spends the majority of his time spying on Joseph and friends with Hermit Purple, it's just off screen so we never know it and he obviously just copied the naming scheme from them cause it was too cool to pass up. :3:

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Dio actually spends the majority of his time spying on Joseph and friends with Hermit Purple, it's just off screen so we never know it and he obviously just copied the naming scheme from them cause it was too cool to pass up. :3:

I don't know if this is mentioned but Hermit Purple is supposedly Johnathan's stand and not DIO's.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

No DIO thought of the scheme first, then that drat Joestar body went and told Joseph. DIO bites no one's style rather, ironically, it is the style of DIO that is bitten!

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's medicinal. And super nasty. Of course this was before they replaced the sugar with corn syrup.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Waffleman_ posted:

The whole scene on the street was original to the anime, along with "Japanese coffee sucks!" and "Why Japan sleep on floor?" For whatever reason, the anime is giving us extra scenes of xenophobic grandpa adventures.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Tobaccrow posted:

The whole scene on the street was original to the anime, along with "Japanese coffee sucks!" and "Why Japan sleep on floor?" For whatever reason, the anime is giving us extra scenes of xenophobic grandpa adventures.

I welcome it, they are amazing.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Tobaccrow posted:

Racist grandpa Joseph is my favorite character, so I am glad of this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Saagonsa posted:

Racist grandpa Joseph is my favorite character, so I am glad of this

Seriously I loving love crotchety racist Grandpa Joe, especially when people call him on being an idiot repeatedly. It's just so fun to watch Joseph Joestar bluster.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

NTT posted:

That's because he's a bawdy westerner World War 2 vet stereotype, from the POV of the Japanese. :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Dude's just still pissed his daughter ran off with a japanese guy without his permission a filthy japanese scumbag stole his daughter :argh:.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm all for the extra Joseph scenes, in fact, I like to think they're adding them to make up for the OVA where Joseph had no personality whatsoever.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh man I'm loving this so far :allears: I actually read Stardust Crusaders ages ago but forgot most of the details/fights so it's all semi-surprises for me really

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tobaccrow posted:

He's not entirely xenophobic. He loves his Japanese walkman. :allears:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I'm all for the extra Joseph scenes, in fact, I like to think they're adding them to make up for the OVA where Joseph had no personality whatsoever.
The current pace encourages me because it seems likely we'll have 39 episodes.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

frajaq posted:

Oh man I'm loving this so far :allears: I actually read Stardust Crusaders ages ago but forgot most of the details/fights so it's all semi-surprises for me really

Same here, and I totally forgot some of the small details in fights I actually remember (like fire clock in this episode), but I'm really hoping this is going to be either 39 or 52 episodes, because if it's only 26 they'll have to step up the pacing or cut out some things, which would be disappointing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

When he was a teen he used the ripple to knock out hijackers trying to kidnap Speedwagon.

Oh yeah, that's right. It's a mild surprise he got to Japan in the first place without incident.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
During the airplane battle, I thought the solution to "how do we find the Stand user" was rather simple : just find whoever has the most flamboyant outfit. Then it turned out that the Stand user was just some old man.

But then, Polnareff happened and yeah, they should have seen this one coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

A Meat posted:

I'm really hoping this is going to be either 39 or 52 episodes, because if it's only 26 they'll have to step up the pacing or cut out some things, which would be disappointing.

It's obviously going to be more than 26 episodes, the pacing has been so meticulous that we've barely covered one out of 16 manga volumes in four episodes. They wouldn't cover the beginning in such loving detail, even adding in extra scenes, if they were going to cut out more significant stuff later on.

• Locked thread