Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Kaebora posted:

I don't want to know what my level 25 retainer had to do to get this, but I did spend a good couple minutes laughing.

Now I just need to stop crafting and actually level a combat class. Retainers are hilariously awesome.

Holy poo poo. Give that man/woman a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Kaebora posted:

I don't want to know what my level 25 retainer had to do to get this, but I did spend a good couple minutes laughing.

Now I just need to stop crafting and actually level a combat class. Retainers are hilariously awesome.

poo poo, my retainer is level 30 and all she brings back after an 18 hour long adventure is 2 to 3 pieces of HQ fleece. What the gently caress am I paying you for, Cyrian? :mad:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Line Feed posted:

poo poo, my retainer is level 30 and all she brings back after an 18 hour long adventure is 2 to 3 pieces of HQ fleece. What the gently caress am I paying you for, Cyrian? :mad:

You have to do quick exploration to get the insane rewards. I've gotten the garuda extreme couch before, it was awesome.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Line Feed posted:

the quick explorations dont have a set loot. They pull from a very big list of possible items no matter your retainer level.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Boten Anna posted:

this game is a team effort

exactly, help out your healer

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fauxtool posted:

the quick explorations dont have a set loot. They pull from a very big list of possible items no matter your retainer level.

Does gear level affect the loot at all?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Boten Anna posted:

I play healer very rarely so I can't give specific tips, other than the general advice of exhausting your bag of tricks. I'm a lovely healer because I rarely play a healer so I don't always know where all my buttons are or remember what all my abilities are at my disposal.

When I levelled a new WAR last patch with the requisite lovely gear one has on a new 50 I could power through it because I know WAR inside and out, and when deciding where to spend resources for new gear, where to spend it. I was main tanking everything in CT at i54 or some bullshit and doing just fine, coil turn 1 was impossible until I got some crafted pieces and accuracy materia (and then because people joining t1 parties in PF are super bad at the game and I got bored of playing an alt).

So memorize what all your abilities do, know where they are on your bars, learn the weird quirks in the game engine, and oh yeah for healers get good at cure precuring--casting cure but then cancelling it halfway through the cast if the target doesn't sustain damage.

Wish I could offer something more helpful than A High Level Overview To Getting Good, if you want to know about WAR tanking I can be much more specific :v:

Still good advice, so I appreciate it! Too bad I'm leveling Paladin instead of Warrior right now, heh.

What's good advice for keeping aggro in low-level dungeons beyond spamming Flash several times? I know you want to hit an enemy with a move that gets enmity after provoking it, but any general advice would be nice.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

PunkBoy posted:

Does gear level affect the loot at all?

Nope, quick exploration pulls from a loot table that has almost every item in the game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wow doing the last 2 raids in Duty Finder is complete poo poo your first time. Care to enjoy the cutscenes for the end of the story on your first go round? Too bad. Everyone ran in and the arena sealed off.
gently caress you, noob!

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Still good advice, so I appreciate it! Too bad I'm leveling Paladin instead of Warrior right now, heh.

What's good advice for keeping aggro in low-level dungeons beyond spamming Flash several times? I know you want to hit an enemy with a move that gets enmity after provoking it, but any general advice would be nice.

Hit Flash a couple of times, establish an enmity lead on whichever target your DPS are focusing first (a couple of 1-2-3 combos), then cycle through the targets with your combo to avoid one peeling off to go attack the healer or summoner.

If DPS aren't attacking the same target, consider marking, but you usually shouldn't need to.

At the lowest levels you don't have very good tools for keeping hate, but it also doesn't matter a whole lot if a mob goes rogue because anyone in the party can tank pretty well, so don't freak out while you're getting a feel for how many rotations you need to put into things to keep them.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Feenix posted:

gently caress you, noob!

I queued up for T4 today for the hell of it. Got in, said, "I'm new," and half the group left.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mega64 posted:

What's good advice for keeping aggro in low-level dungeons beyond spamming Flash several times?
Spamming Overpower several times. :laugh:

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

seorin posted:

I queued up for T4 today for the hell of it. Got in, said, "I'm new," and half the group left.

I still haven't done t4 or up because of that poo poo.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Comedy option "equip an axe" but yeah for PLD you have to play the hate game more closely; get enough hate with flash to where you can afford a gcd of the lovely fast blade hate (usually 2x, I think when you have Circle of Scorn you can get usually away with CoS and 1x Flash) then finish the combo on the primary target, then once you have adequate hate on the main target work on the secondary ones by spreading around combo pieces (i.e. fast blade primary target, savage blade secondary, rage of halone third target, then reverse), maybe throwing a flash between combos.

Like most times you're level synced in this game, you just kind of have to deal with the added difficulty of not having a bunch of your important skills :(

I'm mostly basing this on how I hold hate when not using AOEs as WAR though :v: Like that awful guildhest that syncs you to level 11 and there's a ton of mobs to pick up. God it's been a while since I played PLD.

Doublestep posted:

exactly, help out your healer

i did, the healer sucked and didn't pull their weight to the point where it was impossible to carry them myself, why does this bother you so much?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

i did, the healer sucked and didn't pull their weight to the point where it was impossible to carry them myself, why does this bother you so much?

It's kind of his shtick, don't worry about it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I did a couple of T4 runs. It's at a point that an ilevel 80 whm can heal it pretty much solo with the 15% buff. T4 difficulty is OT -> Healer -> Melee DPS (final rook) -> MT -> everyone else. It isn't really hard. If you can do either #1 or #2 you can do all the jobs. It was fun to run into the big packs and just start holying like a mofo because the scholar was keeping up with the healing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It also makes sense that front lines will come in the next big patch. The next big patch will include the actual Crystal Tower. Frontlines is all about the various Grand Companies fighting over new territory/dungeons.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mr. Nice! posted:

It also makes sense that front lines will come in the next big patch. The next big patch will include the actual Crystal Tower. Frontlines is all about the various Grand Companies fighting over new territory/dungeons.

There's probably going to be at least another 2-3 sections of Crystal Tower released before it's done if the promotional art is any hint.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Well, yeah, there's definitely a lot more coming with that, but I can see CT being a thematic point where the GCs start warring over the secrets/treasures.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm thinking of giving this game a try, if only to shut up a friend who is pestering me to play it. I just have one important question though.

Why the gently caress is there no Red Mage? I mean, c'mon, its been in FFs with job systems since the first one! :argh: I really enjoyed playing Red Mage in FF11, granted being refresh bitch was a drag in most parties, but the versatility at other times was great, plus they're are the most stylish motherfuckers ever.

So why the hell does this game not give me the option to sling spells and wave a rapier around while wearing a fancy red hat with a massive feather in it?

Is there anything that plays remotely like Red Mages?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There is no straight up RDM yet, but there will probably be something similar. Right now if you want someone that can heal and do damage, you have a few choices thanks to cross-class skills.

CNJ -> WHM is probably the closest to what you want. You're primarily a healer, but you can do a shitload of damage thanks to aero 2/aero and holy.

Really, though, just futz around with all the classes and find what you like.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Anyone who has FFXIV on PS4, I have purchased it and am downloading it, when should I expect my key so that I can link it into my account on the Mog Station?

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm thinking of giving this game a try, if only to shut up a friend who is pestering me to play it. I just have one important question though.

Why the gently caress is there no Red Mage? I mean, c'mon, its been in FFs with job systems since the first one! :argh: I really enjoyed playing Red Mage in FF11, granted being refresh bitch was a drag in most parties, but the versatility at other times was great, plus they're are the most stylish motherfuckers ever.

So why the hell does this game not give me the option to sling spells and wave a rapier around while wearing a fancy red hat with a massive feather in it?

Not really. Hybridization isn't so much a thing in this game yet. If you want a class with lots of options at any given moment, consider Monk. At level 50 you'll be moving constantly and you'll have tons of decisions to make in the middle of your rotation.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Im googling around and trying to find out where to start the Manderville dance quest. I'm 50, I beat campaign. It says Hildebrand in Western Thanalan at 20,24 but I don't see a quest there.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Feenix posted:

Im googling around and trying to find out where to start the Manderville dance quest. I'm 50, I beat campaign. It says Hildebrand in Western Thanalan at 20,24 but I don't see a quest there.

I think that's for Chapter 2 of the questline. You want to go to Steps of Nald, I think? The outer ringy sort of place in Ul'dah. There'll be a guy there giving a quest called "A Gentleman Is, Rather Than Does" or something like that.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

HiKaizer posted:

Anyone who has FFXIV on PS4, I have purchased it and am downloading it, when should I expect my key so that I can link it into my account on the Mog Station?

I am not sure if you actually receive a key. It is kind of a convulted process where you link your PS4 to your square account. Once it is finished downloading log in and you'll get further instructions.

Now for another newbie question: I am starting to fly through level 15-20, and I am wondering if it is worth it to hold off on some side quests in Ul'dah and go to another city with the main quest story line or should I try to complete all the side quests in one area before going to another city.

Mean Baby fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 26, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Line Feed posted:

I think that's for Chapter 2 of the questline. You want to go to Steps of Nald, I think? The outer ringy sort of place in Ul'dah. There'll be a guy there giving a quest called "A Gentleman Is, Rather Than Does" or something like that.

Gracias!

[edit] Not seeing any quests there either. (that match that naming...)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 26, 2014

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Feenix posted:

Try speaking to Wymond in Ul'dah.

edit: should've refreshed...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nill posted:

Try speaking to Wymond in Ul'dah.

edit: should've refreshed...

Ah, yes, that guy had 2 quests, one is the Rise and Fall of Gentlemen. Thanks!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Red Mage will probably be in the game at some point. I would hold my breath waiting though.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
Ok, have to rant.

I've been trying to down ultima hm for a couple weeks, so probably 5 or 6 attempts (yes, I am casual scum). Today I got in it and the other tank (warrior) was wearing all pvp gear, but w/e as long as people know the mechanics we can do it.

So he takes first rotation, I'm autoattacking and he can't keep hate off the dps and healers. I end up grabbing it, and get to 3 stacks and tell him to take aggro..he is attacking, but super low on the hate list. I actually stop my autoattack, and he is no where close to getting hate off me... I hit 5 stacks, die, ultima goes through the dps and healers and kills everyone (he was 5th on the enmity list).

So after the wipe, I ask him why he doesn't use provoke to grab him off me, he goes on and on about it not being a warrior skill, even tho people are pointing out that provoke is a cross class skill for warriors. The DPS want to try again, so we do, and wipe, and the group dissolves.

Fast forward 5 hours, I get back online once the kids are in bed, queue up, and get the same drat tank in my group. I ask him if he has provoke yet, and he says 'No, but I have flash so we are ok now'

I roll my eyes, dps wants to give it a go, so we try.. he spams flash until he is out of mp, doesn't grab any hate from the healers and we wipe fairly quickly.

luckily, we were able to boot him (after explaining the fight and why he needs provoke again), and got a goon tank to step in and help me get my first kill!

I thought I was a pretty bad tank, and am always scared of screwing up everything, but now I know I will never be the level 50 warrior tank who thinks flash is a good idea on a single target.

ok end rant!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The fatchocobo.wmv guy is back with a remix of Selfie by The Chainsmokers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMAcUPU0Rs

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The fatchocobo.wmv guy is back with a remix of Selfie by The Chainsmokers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCMAcUPU0Rs

Yeah my selfie is in there too! Don't remember the exact time though and I'm on mobile and too lazy to look.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fozzie Bear posted:

Ok, have to rant.

I've been trying to down ultima hm for a couple weeks, so probably 5 or 6 attempts (yes, I am casual scum). Today I got in it and the other tank (warrior) was wearing all pvp gear, but w/e as long as people know the mechanics we can do it.

So he takes first rotation, I'm autoattacking and he can't keep hate off the dps and healers. I end up grabbing it, and get to 3 stacks and tell him to take aggro..he is attacking, but super low on the hate list. I actually stop my autoattack, and he is no where close to getting hate off me... I hit 5 stacks, die, ultima goes through the dps and healers and kills everyone (he was 5th on the enmity list).

So after the wipe, I ask him why he doesn't use provoke to grab him off me, he goes on and on about it not being a warrior skill, even tho people are pointing out that provoke is a cross class skill for warriors. The DPS want to try again, so we do, and wipe, and the group dissolves.

Fast forward 5 hours, I get back online once the kids are in bed, queue up, and get the same drat tank in my group. I ask him if he has provoke yet, and he says 'No, but I have flash so we are ok now'

I roll my eyes, dps wants to give it a go, so we try.. he spams flash until he is out of mp, doesn't grab any hate from the healers and we wipe fairly quickly.

luckily, we were able to boot him (after explaining the fight and why he needs provoke again), and got a goon tank to step in and help me get my first kill!

I thought I was a pretty bad tank, and am always scared of screwing up everything, but now I know I will never be the level 50 warrior tank who thinks flash is a good idea on a single target.

ok end rant!

if he was in pvp gear then another reason his hate was low is that it doesnt have ACC and he was probably missing every 3rd attack

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So the database doesn't say this but Provoke immediately puts you at the top of any enmity chart? So if I have 5 hate, and the dragoon has 7, it'll put me at 8?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rei_ posted:

So the database doesn't say this but Provoke immediately puts you at the top of any enmity chart? So if I have 5 hate, and the dragoon has 7, it'll put me at 8?

the drg will still have 7 though, so you better hit the enemy with something too

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Our FC on Adamantoise with a few goons in it just did Ultima HM for the first time tonight too. :3: First time for most of us, anyway. We were fine on everything except the final wave of orbs, god those are annoying.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

pksage posted:

Our FC on Adamantoise with a few goons in it just did Ultima HM for the first time tonight too. :3: First time for most of us, anyway. We were fine on everything except the final wave of orbs, god those are annoying.

Pretty sure our "sacrifice the black mage" strategy was perfect in every way.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Fauxtool posted:

the drg will still have 7 though, so you better hit the enemy with something too

Well I assume that's a given. I noticed today flash doesn't break mez, so if we have someone doing CC is that a good combo?

I've been doing a lot of stone vigil and it's the first dungeon I've actually had problems in, where I can look at a wipe and say 'Yeah, that was probably my bad'. With pub groups it comes down to hoping I get heal-bombed in time as soon as a big pull happens. (All my armor is at my current level, specced for vitality, just gathered 45 AF gear.)

Like so far my strat for pulling has been tomahawk, overpower on the mobs, and then Butchers Block Combo, Fracture, Storms Path Combo, Butchers Block Combo x2, Overpower, Storms Path Combo, etc. I do the overpowers because inevitably the DPS isn't focusing on the same target and I'm trying to maintain aggro. If we have someone doing CC I use Flash instead now.

I've also been using Inner Beast and avoiding Unchained because I find the damage buff is hard to notice and it doesn't last that long.

Also with my own self-buffs, like Protect. Should I aim to have them up constantly or hold onto them incase things start to go bad, like healing starts falling behind?

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not really, no. This is very much a WOW-era MMO and I doubt you're ever going to see a jack-of-all-trades (read: can do everything but poorly) class. Every class in the game excels at a single role, because it's easier to design things around that and it's just straight up more fun for the majority of players. If they ever do implement red mages, I can almost guarantee it's going to be either a full healer or full DPS with red mage flavor, rather than a half healer and half DPS. Because why would you bring along a RDM who does significantly less DPS than a MNK when you can just bring a MNK to do the same job but better?

• Locked thread