Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
ATX has been the standard since ~'95. So, it ought to fit unless you're trying to fit an ATX into a BTX (which didn't really catch on, except maybe at Dell for a few years). Either way, cases are pretty cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Wouldn't it be easier/less risky to just drill new standoff holes into the case?

:siren:

You'll awake the thought police

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I've heard a story about a company that secured a POS system to the desk by driving lag bolts through the case, including the HDD, motherboard, and disk drive.
Apparently they were disappointed when it would no longer turn on.

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I've heard a story about a company that secured a POS system to the desk by driving lag bolts through the case, including the HDD, motherboard, and disk drive.

Reminds me of something from Rinkworks.

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_abuse.shtml posted:

I used to be a technician on the U.S.S. Ranger, an aircraft carrier, just before the Gulf War. A new commanding officer had just come on board, and, in preparation for our excursion out to Iraq, he ordered that we go through all our spaces and ensure that everything was secured in place, so that if we hit rough seas, or hit something explosive, there wouldn't be debris flying everywhere. Fairly standard routine.

About two days later, the Ranger's marine detachment called my shop and said, "Our computer is broken." So I head down to the detachment office to take a look. These PCs were the old Zenith Z-248 desktop models, secured with four zillion screws and weighing in at what seemed like half a ton. Our marines had taken the order to secure things pretty seriously, because they had done it with two half inch lag bolts. They had drilled straight through the case, the mother board, the bottom of the case, and the desk it was sitting on, to drop the lag bolts in place.

They couldn't figure out what was wrong, but they knew that it wasn't going anywhere.

Feedback Agency fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 25, 2014

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
We have a system of several DVRs and half of them don't work. The manufacturer is Vigilant. They seem to keep all the secrets in house and refuse to help either me directly or my CCTV contractor.

There is a weird credential problem where there appears to be a username for 3 of the DVRs and a different username for the other 2 so the matrix & viewing station can only connect to half the system at any one time

You'd think resetting credentials would be simple but I've managed to break into just about every other part of the system apart from where I reset / create credentials.

I did find what appears to be a ghost image on one partition I am tempted to see what happens if I image a DVR - If I can image all of my DVRs then at least they will all be the default password! Bit of a drastic last resort though.

Speaking to Vigilant the only fix seems to be send the DVR back and they repair it - we did this with one and it took 2 months (you have to send it to Israel) they refuse to talk to my contractor over the phone and won't send an engineer to site

Nearly there though :)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Reminds me of a family member's hospital work story, where they asked the maintenance staff to move a series of computers from one room to another, and rather than disconnect and untangle the rats-nest of cords from the back of the PCs, they hacked through all of them, in a line, down at the floor level. Power, monitor, network, everything.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
One of the most surprising things i've learned in this industry is "The nastier you are to your customers, the more money they will throw at you."

Feedback Agency
Apr 23, 2014

Bobulus posted:

Reminds me of a family member's hospital work story, where they asked the maintenance staff to move a series of computers from one room to another, and rather than disconnect and untangle the rats-nest of cords from the back of the PCs, they hacked through all of them, in a line, down at the floor level. Power, monitor, network, everything.

At least it was just the cables...

It was just the cables, right? :ohdear:

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

Gilok posted:

Please pray for me, goons. I'm one of two candidates up for either one or two positions at a university helpdesk that would be a salary bump, closer to home, and potentially a permanent job. This would set me on track to actually have a career, and not a series of lovely contract jobs.

:yotj:

Good luck!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gilok posted:

I've done that. The new motherboard needs to go in this 15 year old case? Get me the Dremel.

I just got done drilling the rivets out of a Lenovo so I could rip out the 3.5 bays and fit some long-rear end Radeon card into it to play games when I'm working on a holiday.

Great Orb!
Feb 4, 2009
A panicked user called in...looks like she accidentally deleted a file from one of the file shares. No problem! Shadow copies should be enabled on the file server.

...wait, they're not? Right, it's on a DFS drive! I'll just--

Oh, right. the server it mirrors to is in pieces in our lab...

And the new SAN we ordered for them won't be out of Development for another week at least.

Now I'm trying to scramble to find out if we have any kind of backups running on that server, because the file in question is business-critical audit data.

:shepicide:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
An "I told you so" came in ...

Hearing about the impending end of support from Microsoft for Office 2003 a client several months ago decided to look into upgrading. I suggested several options (mainly Office 2010, 2013, Office365) but was emphatic that they check with their financial agency management and client care software provider to make sure their custom add-one and plug-ins were going to gel with their upgrade.

About a week ago I learn that they've finally made the decision to upgrade after deliberating for some months, and have chosen to go with Office 2013. I let them know that I'm available if they need any assistance but am reassured that their resident tech guy (co-owner of the company) has it covered.

This morning I get asked to come in tomorrow because a) Office 2013 isn't supported in their agency management program, and b) the downgrade to 2010 broke everything enough that the owner wants my help "re-imaging"* every computer in the office as he has completely befouled the registry across his network.

Luckily the COO thought something like this would happen and budgeted my time/expense into the project estimates, unbeknownst to the co-owner. Tomorrow is going to be a good paycheck.

*: No, they don't have standard desktop images, he means reinstalling everything from scratch

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Office 2003 is End of Support as well? We just installed it on 400 desktops we replaced from Windows XP to Win7. :negative:

If true, I can't wait until I hear the inevitable "Well they only said Windows XP was end of support. :downs:"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

less than three posted:

Office 2003 is End of Support as well? We just installed it on 400 desktops we replaced from Windows XP to Win7. :negative:

If true, I can't wait until I hear the inevitable "Well they only said Windows XP was end of support. :downs:"

Haha what? I'm sorry but that's really dumb. Yes office 2k3 is also EOL.

You really didn't bother to check? :drat:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

Haha what? I'm sorry but that's really dumb. Yes office 2k3 is also EOL.

You really didn't bother to check? :drat:

I'm the networking guy, just watching the WinXP-Win7 conversion from the sidelines. Will be fun to bring up on Monday, though!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

less than three posted:

I'm the networking guy, just watching the WinXP-Win7 conversion from the sidelines. Will be fun to bring up on Monday, though!

Drop this link into the appropriate mailbox and watch things explode: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/support-has-ended-for-office-2003-HA103306332.aspx :haw:

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

TWBalls posted:

ATX has been the standard since ~'95. So, it ought to fit unless you're trying to fit an ATX into a BTX (which didn't really catch on, except maybe at Dell for a few years). Either way, cases are pretty cheap.

I don't know what specifically the case was, it might have been BTX or some other monstrosity from Compaq or something. The problem was the back panel connectors didn't fit through whatever was there on the case, so I had to make the hole bigger. I don't remember why this was a better plan than grabbing one of the other 50 old cases in the back room that would've worked right.

If I remember correctly, this was part of an attempt to construct frankenstein machines from whatever ancient junk we had in the back room so that we could attempt to sell them for 100 bucks to rednecks who didn't know better (and wouldn't care). This was in 2009 or so, in rural Louisiana. We regularly serviced Windows 2000 machines.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

EuphrosyneD posted:

The 1022n has a nasty habit of crashing and burning (and taking the entire Windows printer subsystem with it) when fed PDF files or other file formats.

Usually I've only ever seen it happen with PDFs.
For the record we had a bunch of 1020s that had this problem, and it doesn't seem to happen with whatever driver Windows 7 pulls down from Microsoft Update. Just stay away from the official HP driver.

Or it may just not happen as often, because we got rid of the bulk of our 1020s once it became evident this bug made them essentially usesless to deploy anywhere remote since they had the potential to completely kill a machine's ability to print until an admin could interviene. I haven't seen it happen on Win7 yet though.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

less than three posted:

Holy poo poo hahaha

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So the last 2 or 3 weeks have been a nightmare with one of our clients, who was just brought on around 3 months ago. When we brought them in initially, I was asked to assist since their primary engineer is in our other business office about an hour away, versus the office I'm in which is maybe 5 minutes tops. From the start, they had issues - a server that was dying (failed hard drive and a bad battery cache module causing lag, freezing, etc), switches that weren't configured properly, slow internet connection, and way, way outdated Dell Vostro desktops still running XP.

It was decided that, to save money, we'd set up a project where we'd let them keep their existing PCs, and set up Dell WYSE PC Extender software, converting them to a thin client that would connect to terminal servers. Their equipment got set up, everything installed, and myself and 2 other engineers went on site to get their 45 PCs configured with the new extender software.

We ran into problems from the get-go, and are still having problems, because:

- The Dell PC Extender software doesn't like their video cards and dual monitor setup. Some PCs will boot into dual monitor mode fine, others immediately lock up before the new login appears. Dell is still looking into the issue, and the only workaround thus far is to shut down their PC, unplug one monitor, boot up, log into the admin account, connect the second monitor, and configure dual screens. We can't do this remotely, and users aren't smart enough to figure it out, meaning if anyone shuts down, reboots, or there's a power outage, an engineer has to physically go on site to reset the dual monitors for each of the 14 PCs that are affected. :suicide:

- When the environment went live, people couldn't log in because they got an error about not having Terminal Services/Remote Desktop permissions. Apparently only a couple of the terminal servers got set up with the right permissions, so that had to be configured on the go live day, leaving people unable to work for almost an hour.

- Local/network printers, scanners, and faxes stopped working. The brilliant project manager didn't bother getting any information ahead of time for how this was all configured, requiring the outside vendor for the client's numerous MFPs involved. More downtime, more angry people, more stress for all of us.

- One of the client's switches went bad, taking down about half the people in their office. Cue me having to go on site at 7:20 in the morning to trace cables for every affected user, and move them to one of the other 2 working switches in the office. Some offices didn't have marked ports, so it was more tedious using our tone generator to trace the data port.

- Pain in the rear end on-site manager called last Monday after a power outage, I spent all day on site with them because ALL their equipment went down. Reconfigured the dual monitors, worked with our network guys and the ISP to get their internet and network back up, and had to deal with the bitch boss pitching a fit and wondering why we didn't know they had an outage. Simple answer? The server they had on site was taken down (per the project manager's request) and sent to our other office, and that server had our monitoring software on it to tell us when things went offline. No system in place to notify us of outages, no alerts, a LOT of people unable to work yet again for at least half the day.

- Missing software in the new environment: again, project manager didn't bother to get in touch with anyone to find out what everyone used, get any licensing information, or find out where any files (especially configuration and database) were stored. Took another couple days of tracking down PCs and servers to see where everything was, so it could be migrated over.

All in all, one big clusterfuck, and I've been out there at least twice a week the last 3 weeks pulling a minimum of 10 hours a day, usually getting a call on my way into the office. Project manager is still with us, but last I checked his boss was not so pleased and has had a couple one-on-one meetings with him and the primary engineer for the client to see where numerous balls were dropped. I'll be happy when they're finally set up, running normally, and not having these retarded issues so I don't have to keep going out there and dealing with the loving battleaxe of a manager out there.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ozz81 posted:

Switched from physical desktops to VDI without the proper planning, skills, implementation or people who know how to set up VDI infrastructure.

I feel your pain, we're in these same sort of problems.

I had typed a rant about how my work's transition from XP to 7 has been an entirely self-induced clusterfuck, but it's probably not best to share.

less than three fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 27, 2014

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

evobatman posted:

A trip to an ultramodern offshore semisubmersible oilrig came in! I jump on a helicopter next Friday, spend the weekend unplugging Windows XP computers and plugging in Windows 7 computers, and fly back in on Monday! It's like printing money :whatup:

I've been on the oilrigs before when they were docked for maintenance, but it's my first time on one that's in production out on the sea, and my first helicopter ride ever :woop:

It is indeed like printing money. But what the others said, bring a book. Electronics will most likely not be allowed on the chopper (at least here in Norway/North Sea), and it might take everything from 30 min to 2 hours to get there, depending on where it is located.

I've had 4 trips offshore (North Sea) and 2 trips to site (Korea) so far in my job, but I must say that I prefer site. Even with 12 hour days, you still can actually do poo poo when you're done for the day. But offshore there is only a few things to do; work out, watch TV in the lounge, watch TV in the smokers lounge, or watch (a small) TV in your room.

Offshore is better paid though. But have fun, the first trip is always awesome.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
20 days later and I'm still troubleshooting XP issues...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

20 days later and I'm still troubleshooting XP issues...

That poo poo ain't supported, why would you work on poo poo that ain't supported?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RFC2324 posted:

That poo poo ain't supported, why would you work on poo poo that ain't supported?

Like doing anything you don't want to do "because my boss told me to".

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Because my helpdesk supports the army and some national guard computers still run xp.

That's bad, isn't it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

Like doing anything you don't want to do "because my boss told me to".

Half my servers still run Solaris 6, using decade old firmware(because they won't let us reboot them to update anything) so I do actually understand.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Because my helpdesk supports the army and some national guard computers still run xp.

That's bad, isn't it

Blame procurements. A shiny, sexy new $25,000 S&R IR camera for each urban unit that may or may not be forgotten about in the armory. Approved!

75,000 to bring all devices up to spec? They still work don't they? $Software isn't Approved for use on $System. Upgrading $software will cost $AbsurdAmountOfResources

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

That's bad, isn't it

Don't tell the Chinese! :ssh:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rolleyes posted:

Don't tell the Chinese! :ssh:
Do you think they have their own EOL winxp equivalent that is still running a bunch of critical apps?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KoRMaK posted:

Do you think they have their own EOL winxp equivalent that is still running a bunch of critical apps?

Yeah, it's probably WinXP :v:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, it's probably WinXP :v:

Pirated WinXP.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A bunch of tickets went out, and a bunch of Line workers came in.

We moved offices and the new one cannot get stable internet here because of a huge amount of noise on the line. I'm a dev here, so this is technically IT stuff and I wasn't in on the loop for what service we were going to get, nor is it my problem.

But when we toured this office before they remodeled it, I noticed the remnants of a thing on the wall that had a telephone line coming into it saying something to the effect of "ground isolator" or some crap like that. It was a little beige rectangle above the phone outlet in one room. I kind of brought it up to my boss before the move by saying "hey what internet service are we going to use here? It looks like they must have had a difficult time with noise or something because there looked like some kind of noise isolator thing on the telephone lines."

Wow, was I right. Not that I can rub anyone face in it nor do I want to, but drat, that little box set off my spidey sense.

e: I'm a dev now but I spent a couple years running low-voltage lines for telcom, data, security and in house and car stereo systems. So my eyes still wander to those sort of things.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 28, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/27/5659006/internet-explore-zero-day-security-flaw-affects-all-versions

People still using XP are getting their first taste of unpatched exploits already.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/27/5659006/internet-explore-zero-day-security-flaw-affects-all-versions

People still using XP are getting their first taste of unpatched exploits already.

I love that this article was posted. Now I can bring it to management and be all "Told ya so"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I have a media machine that serves as my living room TV that still runs xp. Good thing I run chrome though... I guess?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Pffth, the US's nuclear arsenal runs on 8 inch floppies, be glad some of it's military is using XP.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm picturing a virus written for a UYK-20.

A padded envelope with way too much postage, misspelled addresses and oily stains comes in. Opening it reveals a roll of paper punchtape decorated with skulls.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

deimos posted:

Pffth, the US's nuclear arsenal runs on 8 inch floppies, be glad some of it's military is using XP.

Remember how much 3.5" floppies went bad? Yeah me too.
Remember how much 5.25" floppies went bad? Yeah me neither.
Remember how much 8" floppies went had? Just. Didn't. Happen.

The arsenal is safe. :colbert:

Edit: A phone call came in. I'm off to work for the Major's Office in a position that was basically written for me. The extra ~$1k/month extra doesn't hurt either. :yotj:

Crowley fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

less than three posted:

I feel your pain, we're in these same sort of problems.

I had typed a rant about how my work's transition from XP to 7 has been an entirely self-induced clusterfuck, but it's probably not best to share.

Don't get me wrong, the project guys that set up the VDI environment knew what they were doing, but we're a bit short-handed in their area so I think a big part of it was having multiple projects going at once, and an unrealistic time constraint to get it done. That ultimately led to overlooking a lot of things in the client's existing environment before migrating them over, and made something that should have been relatively painless a huge ball of poo poo rolling downhill. Especially the PC Extender part with dual monitors, since we really had no idea it would be an issue until it was too late.

RFC2324 posted:

Guessing you work in corporate IT? The MSP I work for has basically sent out a notice to all clients stating that due to the XP EOL, any work done on XP machines after 4/8/14 will be billed outside their agreement. Easy way to get those people to buckle down and start looking at new stuff to replace their aging machines that are anywhere from 5 to 8 (or more) years old.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 28, 2014

• Locked thread