Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Action Launcher

I just switched fron Nova to this, I'm really enjoying it so far. Swiping from far left and far right for app drawer and pinned apps is better than I expected.

Edit: New page so I should add something, Ceberus is giving out free pro keys today when you install and register an account for their 3rd birthday. Go get it, it's a great app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus.client&hl=en&referrer=utm_source%3D42matters.com%26utm_medium%3DWidgetWeb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sri.Theo posted:

Also can I uninstall the gallery app if I use Google Photos?

I've uninstalled the gallery app and don't seem to have any problems from it

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

TwistedNails posted:

I just switched fron Nova to this, I'm really enjoying it so far. Swiping from far left and far right for app drawer and pinned apps is better than I expected.

Are folders still limited to 16 items? That's a deal breaker and the only reason I haven't gone back.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Sri.Theo posted:

Also can I uninstall the gallery app if I use Google Photos?
Yes, but you lose it's pretty cool built in editor.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
My mother's tablet (Nexus 7) and phone (Sony Z1 Compact), both running Kitkat, keeps changing the default keyboard from SwiftKey to whatever else is available (even the voice-to-text thing). Does anyone have any idea why? I'm aware of the bug with updates, but the N7 isn't set to automatically update and still has the same problem.

Is there anything she might be hitting accidentally or an app that can change it back automatically?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rusty! posted:

Yes, but you lose it's pretty cool built in editor.

Which is all built into Photos now (with the exception of a few weird tools like gradiant).

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I did not know that. Cool!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
One thing to keep in mind with the new Photo's editing tools, they work like Google's snapspeed app. Thumb up and down to change the tool, thumb right and left to change the strength of the filter. The Photo's app doesn't really make that clear when you use it for the first time.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

E: VVVVV Oh poo poo thanks for the warning. Don't use this app until you clear it with your employer/school

If you've been using Touchdown but aren't completely satisfied, I highly recommend that you check out CloudMagic, which is currently my favorite app for Exchange. It's a pretty standard email app, with a few features that make it way more convenient than Touchdown:
  • You can choose a folder as your "Archive" folder for quick archiving
  • You can easily batch delete or archive emails (more intuitively than in TD imo)
  • You can quickly set followups/reminders
  • You don't have to hit "enter" after entering your PIN
  • Search seems to be much faster than TD
  • The interface is from this century
  • It's free!

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 25, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It also involves your exchange email going through a 3rd party's servers. DO NOT USE this until you clear it with your company as that's a fast track to fire town.

If you want an exchange client with a modern interface with the same application level lockdown as touchdown, try Nine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dik-dik posted:

If you've been using Touchdown but aren't completely satisfied, I highly recommend that you check out CloudMagic, which is currently my favorite app for Exchange. It's a pretty standard email app, with a few features that make it way more convenient than Touchdown:
  • You can choose a folder as your "Archive" folder for quick archiving
  • You can easily batch delete or archive emails (more intuitively than in TD imo)
  • You can quickly set followups/reminders
  • You don't have to hit "enter" after entering your PIN
  • Search seems to be much faster than TD
  • The interface is from this century
  • It's free!
How on earth did they manage to make full Exchange support free? Edit: ^^^^ ahh that explains it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I'm not saying the service is bad or no one should use it, you just have to be really sensitive to the context.

Unless your authentication is handled through oauth, they are storing your username and password on their servers (encrypted.) They also keep the most recent 30 days of mail (sent and received) on the servers. They do NOT store attachments.

For some companies, that's fine. For others it's a major security breach.

I also really wonder what their business plan is as I cannot figure out how they generate money. They say they don't read your emails so it can't be datamining, but it doesn't look like there are any in app ads either.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, I can't imagine there are many companies or schools that would both require Exchange (this seems to usually only be required for the security features) and also be okay with them storing your username, password, and mail on their servers. If you're in healthcare, I'm pretty sure that'd be a HIPAA violation.

It's a real shame because this app is otherwise really great (has a few features that make it slightly more convenient than Nine), and I would gladly pay the $10-20 to get rid of this security hole.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Does anyone use a planner app? Are there any particularly good ones aside from just using the calendar? I've never used a planner before, but figure I need to, like, manage my time man.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Donald Kimball posted:

Does anyone use a planner app? Are there any particularly good ones aside from just using the calendar? I've never used a planner before, but figure I need to, like, manage my time man.

I find just putting everything on my calendar and then throwing the Agenda widget for the calendar on a home screen works plenty well, and I'm a guy with 30+ hours of pre-scheduled work and life responsibilities every week on my calendar.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Donald Kimball posted:

Between a Widget and Keep, I don't really need a separate planner app.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wow didn't know until randomly lookning at the Cheapass Gamer thread for Android apps that Plex is only a dollar on the Amazon Android store. Which also on Amazon a number of music apps are free today, including Shazam Pro.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Rirse posted:

Wow didn't know until randomly lookning at the Cheapass Gamer thread for Android apps that Plex is only a dollar on the Amazon Android store. Which also on Amazon a number of music apps are free today, including Shazam Pro.

Just be wary that Amazon seem to take ages to push updates for the apps on there. I think plex is like 3-4 updates behind.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What's the landscape like for Facebook clients? I'm sick of the official app hiding away 'most recent' posts.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

JoeMB posted:

Just be wary that Amazon seem to take ages to push updates for the apps on there. I think plex is like 3-4 updates behind.

Looks like it the latest version. Amazon shows the same version number and patch notes as the Google Play version.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tunga posted:

Hangouts -> Settings -> SMS.

Oh no, I know about this. I meant ones that are different per person. Sorry, should've been more clear.

I'm not looking to replacing Hangouts, just something if Tasker or lightflow or something can do that.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Rirse posted:

Looks like it the latest version. Amazon shows the same version number and patch notes as the Google Play version.

Ah I haven't checked in a week or so but generally they're slower on pushing updates.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

JoeMB posted:

Ah I haven't checked in a week or so but generally they're slower on pushing updates.

Yeah I noticed one of the negative reviews was about the app being out of date. Still I am very happy with getting it for a dollar since I briefly had the Google Play version, but felt it really wasn't worth the five dollar price and got a refund on it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

spincube posted:

What's the landscape like for Facebook clients? I'm sick of the official app hiding away 'most recent' posts.

The official app is your best bet still because due to how certain people handle privacy settings 3rd party FB apps won't be able to see every update.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

bull3964 posted:

It also involves your exchange email going through a 3rd party's servers. DO NOT USE this until you clear it with your company as that's a fast track to fire town.

If you want an exchange client with a modern interface with the same application level lockdown as touchdown, try Nine.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

Thanks for mentioning this. I already had the app installed and ready to go. Cloud storage of company email would get me some major poo poo.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh no, I know about this. I meant ones that are different per person. Sorry, should've been more clear.

I'm not looking to replacing Hangouts, just something if Tasker or lightflow or something can do that.

Lightflow can do that

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Crosspost from the Dashcam thread:

I actually succeeded with my Android Rearview Mirror / Dashcam experiment... mostly.

I got a cracked Galaxy S 4, no touch or screen display for free from someone at work in return for recovering her files from it.

Then I switched it between USB OTG Mouse and HDMI display back and forth until I activated "TalkBack" blindness accessibility mode, where it calls out where the mouse is.

Then I paired it to a Bluetooth Mouse so I can use a small monitor and the mouse at the same time, so it's more like a PC.

Then I attached a 235-degree widescreen lens, $5 from Amazon.

Everything is ready to go except that I want this as a rear-view cam, so I need the image mirror-flipped.

Daily Roads Voyager and AutoGuard don't seem to have a mirror flip option. There's another app called "Dashcam" that does, but it only works with UTB OTG webcams, which is stupid that it won't give me the option to run it with the built-in cam.

Anyone know of anything?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
OK, I've been out of the android game for over a year now, but I just copped a Nexus 5 and drat, has it matured. Anyway, with KitKat, is it worth using a custom launcher any more? I remember Nova Launcher being pretty functional, and then Buzz Launcher came out shortly before my GS3 went for a fecal dip. I'm trying to avoid loading up my new device with unnecessary bloat, but still definitely want to maximize functionality when it comes to things like syncing calendars, email accounts, music & photos, and other forms of communication. Hangouts seems like a good stock messaging app, and CloudMagic seems like a nice solution to using both Gmail & Exchange. As far as "essentials" go, it seems like other old standbys like Tasker are largely obsolete now. Anyway, I'm sure posts like this get made all the time, so forgive the redundancy. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Isn't it weird that there isn't a Google Drive extension for Muzei?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Chill Penguin posted:

...CloudMagic seems like a nice solution to using both Gmail & Exchange. ...

You did read the warnings above right?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

dissss posted:

You did read the warnings above right?

Yeah, I saw that, but the size of my company, my position, the industry we're in, and my relationship with our IT make me not too worried. I will probably still ask him what he thinks, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dik-dik posted:

Lightflow can do that

How? I've checked and can't seem to find a way to do it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Go into 'Notifications' then click the person icon with the little plus sign in the action bar.

This will add the contact to the list. You can then tap the contact anf change their notification settings for various apps including Hangouts

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Is there a way to get Hangouts to do popup notifications?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

OK, I've been out of the android game for over a year now, but I just copped a Nexus 5 and drat, has it matured. Anyway, with KitKat, is it worth using a custom launcher any more? I remember Nova Launcher being pretty functional, and then Buzz Launcher came out shortly before my GS3 went for a fecal dip. I'm trying to avoid loading up my new device with unnecessary bloat, but still definitely want to maximize functionality when it comes to things like syncing calendars, email accounts, music & photos, and other forms of communication.
I still use Nova but by no means would I call it necessary. The Google Now Launcher is really nice, it just lacks customization options. If you're happy with the way it comes then there's no benefit.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Do any London goons have a recommendation for the best London transport app? Something that can handle buses and trains would be perfect.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

spincube posted:

Spatio works alright for me. It won't update the feed automatically though, and i don't know if it'll show all kinds of posts like the above poster mentioned.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

i don't know if it'll show all kinds of posts like the above poster mentioned.

It can't so it won't. This may or may not be an issue for you (depends entirely on what privacy settings your friends are using)

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Really enjoying stick tennis atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Sri.Theo posted:

Do any London goons have a recommendation for the best London transport app? Something that can handle buses and trains would be perfect.

What are you looking for specifically, because Google Maps navigation handles the buses and the tube.

Much to my surprise there is no official TFL app but there are numerous 3rd party options in the play store, and the TFL mobile site actually works really well.

• Locked thread