Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Danith posted:

Sublime bone dust thing -

so the first one is on that corpse on the rail by the 2h mace dude in the tower of flame right?

I don't know wtf happened but I don't have it and the corpse has been looted and I don't have estus flask+

Should I restart?

You kill the Mace guy for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Brain Fog posted:

What the hell was with that area in Lost Bastille at the holding cells where you go down the elevator and there's just a ship in the ocean?
I had this goddamn feeling I was doing the game backwards because everything was backwards. That's the entrance to Lost Bastille silly

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I'm loving this game so far. There's only a couple things I've come across that I cannot stand, pivoting enemies and soul memory. It's really irritating that the amount of souls you have accumulated affects your ability to summon/invade. It punishes players who grind souls to buy items, and players who have been using the same character for a while even if they haven't leveled. It's annoying that I have to start a new character and grind my soul memory to within a certain threshold if I want to play with a friend.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Both Yahtzee and a friend of mine complained about bosses just being "dudes in armor" and they were right, at least from what I can tell so far. Sometimes the dudes don't have armor as such but they're all very much humanoid enemies.

Where's my Gaping Dragon 2.0 From??

I'm not sure I understand this complaint. Here's a list of odd bosses that I've run into, and I still haven't finished several areas:

Gargoyles
A chariot that when broken becomes a horse
A giant slug... thing?
Three skeletons who summon masses of other skeletons (wearing armor, but that's not just a dude in armor)
Two undead grafted to each other (wearing armor, granted)
A giant

I guess the Rune Sentinels count? There are three of them and they're huge though

Off the top of my head, the only dudes in armor that I remember are the Pursuer, Dragonslayer, and Old Dragonslayer

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I'm at 500k+ soul memory...and only just finished the Lost Bastille. It's mainly from doing tons of multiplayer stuff, but drat. Fortunately I still see signs, so I guess that's okay.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

The Bell Keepers covenant is fun.

Should we feel bad about this?

It's ridiculous. I've probably died as many times as actually won bellbro fights, but it still feels pretty one-sided. Here and there are people who actually thought to bring a co-op buddy which drastically evens things out, and the occasional powerhouse, like this one NG+ dude in full Faraam armor and the actual Moonlight Greatsword which he wielded like a pro while mixing in hexes and pyromancy very unpredictably. That was a good match. He wrecked my fellow Bellbro and had me down to a sliver, but was gracious enough to let me get in a duel-bow emote (look, he impressed me) before finishing me off. You earned it, buddy. :patriot:

But yeah, most of 'em just stumble in and don't even know what hit them.

Dual-cesti, I gotta say, is really drat fun in PvP too. Encountered one other, and of course he was a shirtless dude with that one mustache. But, had one other guy who saw me switch out the estoc+shield I'd been PvE'ing with when I popped in and actually thought I was going bare-handed, so he proceeded to unequip his weapons entirely. :downs:

So far: Exactly one dark spirit invasion, in the Forest of Fallen Giants. And they left before they could ever find me. Apparently not all dickwraiths know that those cracked orbs are limited now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drat it, that white knight in the bastille and I killed either other so now I just never get his drop do I? :smith: Beat the boss though, it wasn't that bad though the next one in the bell tower really threw me for a loop. How the hell do I get to that fog door above the area with the white knight? It's driving me mad. If it needs me to open that pharros door I'm gonna be real sad, if not particularly surprised.

Also please tell me the twinblade isn't poo poo I wanna be medievil Darth Maul so bad, it's just so stupid and amazing.

Brain Fog
Dec 27, 2012

Sanctum posted:

I had this goddamn feeling I was doing the game backwards because everything was backwards. That's the entrance to Lost Bastille silly

So you're saying getting airdropped by an eagle wasn't the correct way to get into this area?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Manatee Cannon posted:

drat it, that white knight in the bastille and I killed either other so now I just never get his drop do I? :smith: Beat the boss though, it wasn't that bad though the next one in the bell tower really threw me for a loop. How the hell do I get to that fog door above the area with the white knight? It's driving me mad. If it needs me to open that pharros door I'm gonna be real sad, if not particularly surprised.

Yeah, it does. :v:

No worries, it's optional.

ed. Oh, wait, you were in the bell tower? Now I'm confused. Disregard.

But to answer your other question, yeah, you won't get that knight's spear now. It isn't the greatest spear anyway though unless you specifically are collecting Heide stuff.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Okay, Lost Sinner is hard to fight in the dark. I think I'm missing something, what with the cutscene, and those two locked doors. I also heard a bell ring while exploring around that area.

So, I'm guessing I missed the Belfry?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

^^^ You did, but it's not required, you'll just have limited light and range to lock on to the Sinner.

Brain Fog posted:

So you're saying getting airdropped by an eagle wasn't the correct way to get into this area?

Either one is the correct way - Dragonrider is easier than the Pursuer, but the path to him isn't - vice versa with the Pursuer (for new people at least), so either way to get to the Bastille is fine.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

ColdIronsBound posted:

If anybody is looking to use their Xbone gamepad with this, here's the workaround you'll need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu-eUUesN_w

Just to confirm, this worked great for me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Okay, Lost Sinner is hard to fight in the dark. I think I'm missing something, what with the cutscene, and those two locked doors. I also heard a bell ring while exploring around that area.

So, I'm guessing I missed the Belfry?

Depending on your build, the Belfry boss can be much harder than Lost Sinner, so that's :darksouls:

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

neetengie posted:

You kill the Mace guy for it.

ahh.. you know, I think what happened was we killed each other at the same time. Is this something I should restart for? I'm like at SL 45 :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also please tell me the twinblade isn't poo poo I wanna be medievil Darth Maul so bad, it's just so stupid and amazing.
It's got some seriously big durability issues but it's a loving buzz saw in 2 hands. It's great with a weapon buff. There's a few other twin blades around like a dragon rider one, a chunky strength one and an awesome spear/curved sword/twin blade hybrid thing.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I keep finding crappy wired 360 controllers, sending them back fresh out the packaging with the exact same right thumbstick fault - that the input cuts out if the stick is anywhere down left. I don't mind kb+m but I wanna kick back from the desk and act like I'm listening to other people in the room when I play. Anyone recommend a reliable place for a wired controller?

Game's uglier than I was expecting but I can't really complain about more Dark Souls. Even the crappy starter weapons looked cool all encased in quartz and fungus and poo poo. :toot:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Danith posted:

ahh.. you know, I think what happened was we killed each other at the same time. Is this something I should restart for? I'm like at SL 45 :(

Are you sure the drop isn't where you killed him? Try checking around the area just in case where he died, like a detective solving a murder. If you can't find it, and think you can deal without it, there's 4 more in the game, and they all come back NG+.
If you're really, really desperate for one, beat the boss and ascetic the bonfire of Heide.

Or just restart if you can't be assed and you're not far into the game.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I keep finding crappy wired 360 controllers, sending them back fresh out the packaging with the exact same right thumbstick fault - that the input cuts out if the stick is anywhere down left. I don't mind kb+m but I wanna kick back from the desk and act like I'm listening to other people in the room when I play. Anyone recommend a reliable place for a wired controller?

Game's uglier than I was expecting but I can't really complain about more Dark Souls. Even the crappy starter weapons looked cool all encased in quartz and fungus and poo poo. :toot:
Buy a DS4.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm still very new to the game and wondering about to what degree stats will really affect the way you can play... Is it a realistic proposition to increase dexterity/adaptability so much that you'll be significantly better at simply staying out of the way of attacks, instead of absorbing them with a shield?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mazed posted:

Yeah, it does. :v:

No worries, it's optional.

ed. Oh, wait, you were in the bell tower? Now I'm confused. Disregard.

But to answer your other question, yeah, you won't get that knight's spear now. It isn't the greatest spear anyway though unless you specifically are collecting Heide stuff.

Nah I was talking about the Bastille. I found my way to the Belfry trying to make my way up to that door, actually. :v: I don't think there are any pharros doors in the Belfry, though maybe there are and I just haven't found them. It's a shame that I can't get that weapon but if it isn't great it's not a huge deal.

chaos rhames posted:

It's got some seriously big durability issues but it's a loving buzz saw in 2 hands. It's great with a weapon buff. There's a few other twin blades around like a dragon rider one, a chunky strength one and an awesome spear/curved sword/twin blade hybrid thing.

I can deal with the durability, I'm just glad it's gonna not be terrible.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

PirateBob posted:

I'm still very new to the game and wondering about to what degree stats will really affect the way you can play... Is it a realistic proposition to increase dexterity/adaptability so much that you'll be significantly better at simply staying out of the way of attacks, instead of absorbing them with a shield?

When it comes to dodging have your agility rating to be at least 100, iirc that only goes up via ADP and ATN. Yes, dodging is always better than tanking hits.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

neetengie posted:

Are you sure the drop isn't where you killed him? Try checking around the area just in case where he died, like a detective solving a murder. If you can't find it, and think you can deal without it, there's 4 more in the game, and they all come back NG+.
If you're really, really desperate for one, beat the boss and ascetic the bonfire of Heide.

Or just restart if you can't be assed and you're not far into the game.

Ya, where ever it was, it's gone. I think I was in this area last night killing things. Today while playing I kept thinking to myself 'didn't I have the upgraded flask on my other char at this point'..

That sucks. Don't have any bonfire ascetics either

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey guys I have a quick question that isn't directly answered in game. If I don't meet the strength requirements for a weapon, can I still wield it with 2 hands effectively?

If I DO meet the strength requirements, do I do bonus damage? Maybe attack faster?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Some of these bonfire placements are retarded (looking at you, Earthen Peak). It makes me want to despawn enemies.

On that note, the thing you have to do with your torch in Earthen Peak isn't intuitive at all. I only realized what I had to do thanks to messages.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Danith posted:

Ya, where ever it was, it's gone. I think I was in this area last night killing things. Today while playing I kept thinking to myself 'didn't I have the upgraded flask on my other char at this point'..

That sucks. Don't have any bonfire ascetics either

Then it's fine to restart, it seems that you're mainly in the Forest and Heide's still, so no problem.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey guys I have a quick question that isn't directly answered in game. If I don't meet the strength requirements for a weapon, can I still wield it with 2 hands effectively?

If I DO meet the strength requirements, do I do bonus damage? Maybe attack faster?
If you have 10 Strength, you can wield weapons that require 11-20 by two handing them. If you have the requirements for one handing them, that's it as far as I know. You can one hand them effectively and depending on the weapon, maybe attack faster because the 2Hand and 1Hand movesets are different usually.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm currently burning my way through the game with a trusty Bastard Sword+4 (spent a pleasant hour getting chain summoned for the House Of Doom in the Wharf :v:), and I'm at 20 STR/12 Dex for it - flicking between one handed and two handed stance depending on whether or not I know I can stagger an enemy. I don't really plan to go much higher than that for these stats (I'm planning to round out my spell casting attributes to take advantage of Dark buffs and Pyromancy), but will the sword last me in higher PVE or PVP? I'm having a huge amount of fun with the weapon but I'd rather not suddenly discover I should have been pumping my chunks into a Greatsword or whatever.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Right down from the heavy hag merchant/tower bonfire, there's that dude sitting on a bench next to an open portcullis. Well, I went through that portcullis, and died, and now it's closed and I can't re-enter.

Any way to open it or is that area just closed off from me forever now?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Can anyone tell me how to light the torch? I'm using the function 2 key (bound to N, I changed it to Y) and it just refuses to take. Anyone know?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

The Joe Man posted:

Right down from the heavy hag merchant/tower bonfire, there's that dude sitting on a bench next to an open portcullis. Well, I went through that portcullis, and died, and now it's closed and I can't re-enter.

Any way to open it or is that area just closed off from me forever now?

Yeah, there was some flying knight guy I was fighting on a roof somewhere, I fell off, and he left. Now he never comes back, I'm assuming there are some places we only get one chance at?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So wanting to confirm this, your invasion/summon name is now tied to your actual character name as apposed to your account name?

Can I call my character Bert The Soup Chef and invade people with dual Ladles :allears:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

So wanting to confirm this, your invasion/summon name is now tied to your actual character name as apposed to your account name?

Can I call my character Bert The Soup Chef and invade people with dual Ladles :allears:

Too long. Pizzalawyer420 is about all you can get in.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Some of these bonfire placements are retarded (looking at you, Earthen Peak). It makes me want to despawn enemies.

There's only like six enemies between you and the boss from the second bonfire, and you can shoot the poison pots next to the two of them to kill them no problem.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah, there was some flying knight guy I was fighting on a roof somewhere, I fell off, and he left. Now he never comes back, I'm assuming there are some places we only get one chance at?

Oh you'll meet him later. But there are some one of a time chances similar to that if my memory is right. Very rare in game though and sometimes only in NG+.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Can anyone tell me how to light the torch? I'm using the function 2 key (bound to N, I changed it to Y) and it just refuses to take. Anyone know?

Walk up to a fire, hit whatever your use key is. If it's a bonfire or something's in the way you'll have to toggle which option shows.

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm currently burning my way through the game with a trusty Bastard Sword+4 (spent a pleasant hour getting chain summoned for the House Of Doom in the Wharf :v:), and I'm at 20 STR/12 Dex for it - flicking between one handed and two handed stance depending on whether or not I know I can stagger an enemy. I don't really plan to go much higher than that for these stats (I'm planning to round out my spell casting attributes to take advantage of Dark buffs and Pyromancy), but will the sword last me in higher PVE or PVP? I'm having a huge amount of fun with the weapon but I'd rather not suddenly discover I should have been pumping my chunks into a Greatsword or whatever.

What's the house of doom? The wharf was one of the easier areas I've been through, can't think of anything like that.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Too long. Pizzalawyer420 is about all you can get in.

A Soup Chef will have to do but good god why would want I to play any other game now, that's amazing! So many possible gimmicks :swoon:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

What's the house of doom? The wharf was one of the easier areas I've been through, can't think of anything like that.

The room with all the long armed dudes. I've noticed the people summoning me for that bit have them all bunched up in the house, which is where the difficulty is. If they're not all in there it's a piece of piss.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Walk up to a fire, hit whatever your use key is. If it's a bonfire or something's in the way you'll have to toggle which option shows.

I am pushing my 'Function 2' key - which shows up as the xbox yellow Y and works on all menus - but for in-world things that aren't menus the toggle isn't working, which means I can't light my torch.

Is there an alternate solution to the key just not working?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So after being goaded into buying this while high and getting poo poo on by people for being anything less than evangelical about the game I had some free hours, I might as well give it a go, earn an opinion on the game. It's not bad. It fixes a lot of the poo poo that pissed me off in Dark Souls. The graphics are nice enough. Sure they're better than the console version but if you're one of the 4 people who've been playing Dark Souls 1 with the High Res Textures mod the different isn't that huge, it's adequate for PC. I like the improved messaging system, put a WELCOME TO DARK SOULS message in the entrance to Majula is like cheat mode. I just finished No-Mans Wharf. After finally killing the boss my initial thought was "Have I done enough yet to warrant an opinion? I want to see the artifact update for Risk of Rain". The constant torch brackets and little beacon stands are a testament to the hamstrung lighting system which is amusing if nothing else. I at least have to give it up to From this time round, whereas last time the Demon Ruins was an ungodly mess this time they appear to have spread their cut poo poo much more thinly in the form of rooms with no point, peaks and hideaways that contain nothing etc etc. Inconsequential stuff which is certainly harmless. That's a plus I guess?

The open world feel from the other game is nowhere to be found. Everything is conveiently linked through claustrophobic towers and cliff faces. The areas don't blend and mix like they did before, they might as well have a "LEVEL START" flag at the beginning of areas. Yahtzee is pretty correct in that everything is dudes in armour. By Now in Dark Souls 1 I'd fought a demon that was 80% butt, a giant furby and giant ladybirds. You get the idea. The main draw for Dark Souls for me was always the plot and the characters that inhabited the world. Right now I couldn't even give you any of their names, let alone tell you who was who, I get the leveling dude, the blacksmith dude, if they were going to do that they could have just wrapped it up in one character who just chills around the Majula campfire instead of making me run around talking to people I don't care about.

I'll probably play it again when I've finished some other stuff, but in lieu of the story that tantalized me from the begining in DsK1 right now the main draw for me is (like DsK1) the tourism aspect. I want to go see cool places and admire the poo poo and for that I can probably wait until there's a trainer or something so I can just mince around with my binoculars out. That and of course when Kay Plays starts up again and I can watch her play. That was more fun than playing it ever was.

Footnote: For those who are wondering about my title. It's from the DsK1 thread where my deattachment from the game and apathetic cheating drove Genocyber into a :spergin: rage.

:10bux: worth of rage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

The room with all the long armed dudes. I've noticed the people summoning me for that bit have them all bunched up in the house, which is where the difficulty is. If they're not all in there it's a piece of piss.

Ah, I know what you're talking about now. They always get jammed in the doorway for me so I get to murder them basically for free.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You need to get very close to the bonfire to actually light a torch, closer than sitting at the bonfire.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

Thats because you're punching things that massively outnumber you that won't fight you if you leave them alone. And you've gone off of a side route that you don't really need to do yet until you at least have a weapon.