Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

You need to get very close to the bonfire to actually light a torch, closer than sitting at the bonfire.

I'm as close to the bonfire as I can get short of sticking it up my rear end. Am I really the only person having this problem? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Dreggon posted:

I'm as close to the bonfire as I can get short of sticking it up my rear end. Am I really the only person having this problem? :negative:

You could always try a brazier or a lit torch on the wall, that should default to lighting your torch.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

The things in the first don't aggro you so don't fight them. The ogre you come back to. Just go to the hut and start the game proper before trying to fight anything.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.

Sex Robot posted:

Thats because you're punching things that massively outnumber you that won't fight you if you leave them alone. And you've gone off of a side route that you don't really need to do yet until you at least have a weapon.

Well excuse me for not just cheating at the game like you do! I bet your "cutie mark" is this!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Sex Robot posted:

By Now in Dark Souls 1 I'd fought a demon that was 80% butt, a giant furby and giant ladybirds. You get the idea.
I got lost and went into a tower and got murdered by a dude with elephantiasis of the scrotum :shrug:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just ran into a belbro who healed instantly after attacking him. As in, whack-whack-whack, backstab, health gauge empty for a second, full health.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
So after having to redownload all of DS2 for some reason, this popped up before I got back to playing (yes I went with the best name):

But it didnt really seem to effect much of anything, still had all my (useless) preorder junk which is the only thing I can think of that would count as DLC at this point. Luckily I barely lost any progress either.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

RasputinVarez posted:

Well excuse me for not just cheating at the game like you do! I bet your "cutie mark" is this!

Actually VAC didn't touch Dark Souls 1, not to mention I never used it online. hth

Logan 5 posted:

So after having to redownload all of DS2 for some reason, this popped up before I got back to playing (yes I went with the best name):

But it didnt really seem to effect much of anything, still had all my (useless) preorder junk which is the only thing I can think of that would count as DLC at this point. Luckily I barely lost any progress either.

So many people are calling their characters PizzaLawyer420. I'm waiting for a run where PizzaLawyer420 and PizzaLawyer420 bro up with PizzaLawyer420 to defeat a boss.

Aug 24, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could always try a brazier or a lit torch on the wall, that should default to lighting your torch.

Are there any of these in the Bastille? I'm trying to light one for the blacksmith guy.

Also, does anybody know where the key binding config file is? Maybe that will have some answers (but probably not)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Sex Robot posted:

I'll probably play it again when I've finished some other stuff, but in lieu of the story that tantalized me from the begining in DsK1 right now the main draw for me is (like DsK1) the tourism aspect. I want to go see cool places and admire the poo poo and for that I can probably wait until there's a trainer or something so I can just mince around with my binoculars out. That and of course when Kay Plays starts up again and I can watch her play. That was more fun than playing it ever was.

Footnote: For those who are wondering about my title. It's from the DsK1 thread where my deattachment from the game and apathetic cheating drove Genocyber into a :spergin: rage.

:10bux: worth of rage.

Yeah, we can kinda see what might've spurred someone to get you that.

Either play a game and have fun or don't and go play something else.

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, I'm totally stuck and i can't work this part out at all so, could somebody just give me a hand on how to get past this part?

first, these things kill me, i can take one of them down but that's it

and if i manage to get passed them i run into this guy who kills me faster!

this game is loving impossible, i know it's meant to be hard but this is absurd, i don't even have a weapon and i'm either being gang banged by goblins or killed by cyclops monsters!

oh you :allears:

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

OK, so I am just screwing around and am not actually retarded, but I am honestly stuck very early on. Right here.

Knight or Sorcerer, the eternal conflict. I can't decide between them. Or possibly Deprived, having to fight for everything and just using found stuff, but i think that's best left for another play-through.

I was looking forward to this all day, i had stuff to do, and now I can't decide a class!

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Mazed posted:

Never be critical of anything ever.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Apr 26, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sex Robot posted:

The open world feel from the other game is nowhere to be found. Everything is conveiently linked through claustrophobic towers and cliff faces. The areas don't blend and mix like they did before, they might as well have a "LEVEL START" flag at the beginning of areas. Yahtzee is pretty correct in that everything is dudes in armour. By Now in Dark Souls 1 I'd fought a demon that was 80% butt, a giant furby and giant ladybirds. You get the idea. The main draw for Dark Souls for me was always the plot and the characters that inhabited the world. Right now I couldn't even give you any of their names, let alone tell you who was who, I get the leveling dude, the blacksmith dude, if they were going to do that they could have just wrapped it up in one character who just chills around the Majula campfire instead of making me run around talking to people I don't care about.

I'll probably play it again when I've finished some other stuff, but in lieu of the story that tantalized me from the begining in DsK1 right now the main draw for me is (like DsK1) the tourism aspect. I want to go see cool places and admire the poo poo and for that I can probably wait until there's a trainer or something so I can just mince around with my binoculars out. That and of course when Kay Plays starts up again and I can watch her play. That was more fun than playing it ever was.

Footnote: For those who are wondering about my title. It's from the DsK1 thread where my deattachment from the game and apathetic cheating drove Genocyber into a :spergin: rage.

:10bux: worth of rage.

That's pretty understandable, the main thing that draws me towards Dark Souls 2 is the Hexes, and that's it really - everything else hasn't stuck to me. I could remember all the bosses of DeS and DaS1, but I blank out for most of the ones in this game unless they get mentioned in the thread. When I get my copy of Demon's Souls back from my friend I'll probably be playing that all day instead of this really. I'm waiting for more mods so I can change some of the stuff in the game, but if they're all texture it's gonna suck.

Do you mind linking to the page where Genocyber went :spergin: everywhere? I'd like to see that.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Man, I feel so incredibly weak compared to everyone else whenever I co-op. :( It's not that I'm expecting sorcery to just carry me through the whole game effortlessly, but I'm wondering why I didn't just go melee since most of the time, enemies end up in my face after the first cast or two, and everyone else I group with just seem to cleave enemies apart in 2 or 3 hits anyway.

Aug 24, 2011

cool i worked out how to light the loving TORCH

it's not the function 2 key

it's the

wait for it

manmode righthand weapon key

gently caress you fromsoft and your lovely ports

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I think the whole 'all the bosses are guys in armor' complaint comes from the fact that after Last Giant, who I guess is the tutorial boss, you have Pursuer, Dragonrider and Ornstein, all of whom are very similar and fought in the same way - bait lunge/jump attack, roll to back, attack, back off, repeat. The bosses I've seen after this in the next tier of levels seem to have been more varied - skeletons, chariot, conjoined twins. Hopefully the variety keeps up, they've definitely missed some potential 'wow' points here - contrast the DS1 sequence of Asylum Demon, Taurus, gargoyles, butterfly, Capra, gaping dragon.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

The Walking Dad posted:

In the console version I could see that she took off her mask, but I could never make out the features of her face very well. It looks like she is a leper. Explains the covering of every portion of skin, and why she doesn't allow people to get close to her.

I believe her dark sign is on her face. She also playfully feigns ignorance when she gives you a human effigy.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Dreggon posted:

On the note of torch talk, I let my torch burn all the way out, and after that it was gone from my inventory entirely. Is it gone forever or can I buy a new one somewhere?

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012

You just admitted that you are a total scrublord who cheats at a multiplayer game, it's kind of like reading the end of a mystery book first, or looking up a movie on IMDB whilst in the theater. Sure you paid for it and you are free to do that, but it's kind of against the spirit of the activity. you should always finish the game once at least before cheating to see everything else, half the fun comes from the struggle to get through and being rewarded with knowledge. At least the LPer you mentioned isn't a camwhore with her tits out in the corner begging for donations like most female LPers who livestream.

Personally I got my redtext from recommending a $130 AMD CPU for a budget video editing computer that needed to do some non intel specific encoding and wasn't going to be used for games ever, but because a $280 CPU can get 20% more fps in skyrim and 5% better fps across the board it was apparently a better choice and I was a huge troll who was told to "read the OP" for disagreeing with it. Also, looking up the source for a graph that looks dodgy and pointing out that it's massively cherry picked a page that has a dozen other graphs that conflict with it is apparently looked down on by intel users.

Posted from my overclocked i5 2500k with 128gb Intel SSD

Regardless, KNIGHT OR SORCERER WHAT SHOULD I PICK!?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Most of my problems could probably be solved by going for a quest to find my Gamepad. The Keyboard/Mouse controlls are worse than in the first port... doesn't help that all the interfaces only ever explain how they are used with a gamepad.

I didn't take long to figure out how to light a torch though, because I read the guide for it (the guide on how to light a torch with keyboard controls) before I embarked on my first journey into the game.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
If I recall correctly, the reason why he cheated was because he either felt like he hosed up his character or rage-deleted or something, and used cheat engine just to rush back to where he left off. Unless he kept going with it but I stopped paying attention after that. :v:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

RasputinVarez posted:

:words:

DEPRIVED

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

neetengie posted:

That's pretty understandable, the main thing that draws me towards Dark Souls 2 is the Hexes, and that's it really - everything else hasn't stuck to me. I could remember all the bosses of DeS and DaS1, but I blank out for most of the ones in this game unless they get mentioned in the thread. When I get my copy of Demon's Souls back from my friend I'll probably be playing that all day instead of this really. I'm waiting for more mods so I can change some of the stuff in the game, but if they're all texture it's gonna suck.

Do you mind linking to the page where Genocyber went :spergin: everywhere? I'd like to see that.

I'd have to say This one :rimshot:

But seriously, if you mean the one that got me a new avatar, I'm not sure because that was a biiig thread. I'll have look but no promises.

RasputinVarez posted:

You just admitted that you are a total scrublord who cheats at a multiplayer game, it's kind of like reading the end of a mystery book first, or looking up a movie on IMDB whilst in the theater. Sure you paid for it and you are free to do that, but it's kind of against the spirit of the activity. you should always finish the game once at least before cheating to see everything else, half the fun comes from the struggle to get through and being rewarded with knowledge. At least the LPer you mentioned isn't a camwhore with her tits out in the corner begging for donations like most female LPers who livestream.

You are a bad troll. Stop being a bad troll.

As for class? Depends. Sorcerer is still pretty much easy mode imo especially now that you can buff casting speed and there are several early on mobs that pose a considerable bump in the road for other classes that sorcerer can poo poo all over from 20ft away.

Sex Robot fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 26, 2014

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
If any kind souls around 200k SM have a spare bat staff lying around, I'll perform nonspecific unnatural acts for it.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012

Sex Robot posted:

I'd have to say This one :rimshot:

I see nothing there at all, i wanted to see a guy have ten bucks worth of rage!

I can't imaging how much rage a guy must have had to make and give you that awful avatar though

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

:haw:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

No, seriously, it's fine to be critical, but there's a difference between that and being obnoxiously dismissive like, "eh whatever I'll just cheat to see the pretty parts and only watch streams".

But, there are far more important questions we should be asking ourselves. On that note:

RasputinVarez posted:

Be a knight! If this is your first playthrough, the melee combat would be the best thing to focus on, and the knight starts you off with some solid stats and gear. Sorcerer does not, and the magic, while fun, doesn't feel as engaging.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Welp, didn't take a torch down the big pit in town. Found the bonfire in The Gutter and just narrowly missed the platform it's on. Why does From keep making these lovely levels? No one likes them.

RasputinVarez posted:

Personally I got my redtext from recommending a $130 AMD CPU for a budget video editing computer that needed to do some non intel specific encoding and wasn't going to be used for games ever, but because a $280 CPU can get 20% more fps in skyrim and 5% better fps across the board it was apparently a better choice and I was a huge troll who was told to "read the OP" for disagreeing with it. Also, looking up the source for a graph that looks dodgy and pointing out that it's massively cherry picked a page that has a dozen other graphs that conflict with it is apparently looked down on by intel users.

Posted from my overclocked i5 2500k with 128gb Intel SSD

Be the not-Knight fighter dude. That way you're only one soul level from the bliss that is powerstance clubs

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So uh there's a secret room past the Ruin Sentinels with a chest and a suicide bomber.

What was in that one? :(

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

scamtank posted:

So uh there's a secret room past the Ruin Sentinels with a chest and a suicide bomber.

What was in that one? :(

Rouge Water. You're not missing much.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

dis astranagant posted:

Welp, didn't take a torch down the big pit in town. Found the bonfire in The Gutter and just narrowly missed the platform it's on. Why does From keep making these lovely levels? No one likes them.

I haven't made it past the first level of the pit, every time I try jumping down I die :v: I better buy that ring some time.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012

poo poo, Pre-Ordering bonuses

I don't like that, they kind of ruin game balance. I take it i get them on all my characters?

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

RasputinVarez posted:

I don't like that, they kind of ruin game balance. I take it i get them on all my characters?

As far as I know, yes, but you can discard them. They're not actually exclusive people who didn't preorder them can buy them later in game.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

At this point in time it almost feels like a running gag.

That said, Blighttown was better. The Gutter doesn't quite strike the same note of surreal, oppressive squalor. For the most part, it's a bunch of scaffolding in the dark, though parts do at least look like some kind of domicile. There's one exception: The cave with the gigantic motionless bug and the at-first inexplicable silhouettes of the gas beetles shambling towards you. :gonk:

On a note related to those areas (kinda): do people have major issues with the jumping in this game? I find the sprint+left stick to be MASSIVELY easier than the sprint+double roll. And yet, there's all those bloodstains of people bungling off a jump, and I've even tried, as a white phantom, demonstrating how to do it to get to certain things (like the Human Effigy on a ledge in the first 'courtyard' area of FoFG), only for them to fumble it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

RasputinVarez posted:

Just stuff them into your bonfire item box and forget about it. You don't have to even look at them.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Everything is ordinary.

Mazed posted:

At this point in time it almost feels like a running gag.

That said, Blighttown was better. The Gutter doesn't quite strike the same note of surreal, oppressive squalor. For the most part, it's a bunch of scaffolding in the dark, though parts do at least look like some kind of domicile. There's one exception: The cave with the gigantic motionless bug and the at-first inexplicable silhouettes of the gas beetles shambling towards you. :gonk:
I think that's the other thing that niggled me as someone who thoroughly spoiled the game before hand. There is making references to another game in the series and then there is DsK2. HEY DO YOU REMEMBER DARK SOULS 1? THAT WAS A GOOD GAME! LOOK HAVE MORE STUFF LIKE THAT? IT'S SIMILAR BUT DIFFERENT :iiam:

While I'm sure the Old Dragonslayer worked some people up into a frenzy when I saw it, it was more a... "really?"

Mazed posted:

On a note related to those areas (kinda): do people have major issues with the jumping in this game? I find the sprint+left stick to be MASSIVELY easier than the sprint+double roll. And yet, there's all those bloodstains of people bungling off a jump, and I've even tried, as a white phantom, demonstrating how to do it to get to certain things (like the Human Effigy on a ledge in the first 'courtyard' area of FoFG), only for them to fumble it.

That's what earned my This is Dark Souls achivement. Flinging myself off of the edge of the gap at the jumping tutorial :v: You're probably right and I will probably get used to it, but old habits die hard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

While I'm sure the Old Dragonslayer worked some people up into a frenzy when I saw it, it was more a... "really?"

It's a legit fun fight though. Though if that upsets you, I'm sure you'll love the Belfry. :v:

Now, if they're gonna take old bosses from previous games they should bring back the False King and Soulsucker. :unsmigghh:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's a legit fun fight though. Though if that upsets you, I'm sure you'll love the Belfry. :v:

Now, if they're gonna take old bosses from previous games they should bring back the False King and Soulsucker. :unsmigghh:

There needs to be a drat good story/lore reason why False King is back, since the actual King Allant is dead. Also no Maiden in Black around so there needs to be a good reason for Soulsucker to be back too.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Sex Robot posted:

That's what earned my This is Dark Souls achivement. Flinging myself off of the edge of the gap at the jumping tutorial :v:
Same. I was like "yeah, I don't need to read the tutorial signs, I know what I'm doing" and then tried to jump like you would in DS1. A split second before rolling to my death, I remembered that they changed the jumping controls. (I had played the console version for a few hours when it came out, so I really have no excuse) Then I hosed up the jump again because I'm an idiot who can't operate an analog stick properly. :downs:

Ruin Sentinels down in two attempts. :getin: (I'd rather not go into how many times I died to the royal guards before that) Summoned the NPC phantom to help out, though, she did a good job keeping one of them busy and somehow managed to avoid getting killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

quaunaut posted:

Steps to making this game 10x easier:

1. Don't join Champions Covenant.
  2. Stop being afraid you're gonna outlevel summons. You probably won't.
  3. Use your soapstone constantly. Seriously, if you're stuck even for a bit, just use the stupid thing.

Luckily there are loads of people playing right now, so you should always find someone to summon. Even though I'm fairly sure my soul memory is much higher than it should be, I'm still getting summoned pretty much instantly. It's great.

Also, I think I might be coming around to the soul memory system. I think it might increase the replayability of the game quite a bit. Like, how much can you level and gear up with a soul memory of 100k? How far can you get? Your reward is being stronger than anyone else in PvP and co-op. It almost makes the game like a roguelike. Sometimes you have a good run with a character, sometimes you don't. Maybe that's what they wanted to accomplish with the system. It also helps that the game isn't linear and character builds are more diverse, so your playthroughs are going to be more different in general than they were in DkS1.