Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Wasnt he training exceptionally hard for ADCC which was coming up very soon at the time and at the time his primary focus so he was going out of his way to not throw punches in hopes of making sure he didnt break his hands?

That was the story at the time. He was just trying not to get hurt. But who knows if it was actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm watching a WEC collection thing on fightpass and in one of them Cerrone drops Rob McCollough on his rear end with that same jab he nailed Barboza with. Crazy.

That fight was rad, the funniest part was that it wasn't televised because they had to make room for Jake Rosholt fighting some schlub because it was stipulated in his contract that all his fights had to be televised. After they realized how badly they screwed up they scheduled a special WEC end of the year show pretty much expressly for the purpose of airing Cerrone/McCullough.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

in my budreck opinion,

arlovski is going knock out schaubi

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

colonel_korn posted:

That fight was rad, the funniest part was that it wasn't televised because they had to make room for Jake Rosholt fighting some schlub because it was stipulated in his contract that all his fights had to be televised. After they realized how badly they screwed up they scheduled a special WEC end of the year show pretty much expressly for the purpose of airing Cerrone/McCullough.

This was one of my favorite fights of all time. It made me a Cowboy fan but it made me more of a Rob McCullough fan. Those guys are tough as loving hell in that fight. I really wish Rob would have had a better career and we could have seen him in other punch fests.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Google Butt posted:

in my budreck opinion,

arlovski is going knock out schaubi

Abu Schaubi vs Et Tu, Buddy?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Nathaniel Diaz's next fight will be against a treadmill, apparently

He walks around at like 180 it's not surprise that he looks a little beefier here, he has to diet down really far to get within cutting range of 155. When I met him we weighed the same cause I was carrying about an extra 5kg, but he was at least as broad as I was in the shoulders and a good 20cm taller. He was a lot bigger than I thought he would be.

Meat Recital posted:

Literally the only thing interesting about Brendan Shchaub is that he is doing Ronda Rousey.

Not that I want to turn this thread into the MMATMZ but I didn't think this was confirmed and she was just at Rener's wedding and had a photo with him. Lyoto was there too, so was a bunch of other BJJ and MMA dudes. Plus it kind of sounded like she was getting filled by Uriah Hall after he talked about "staying" at her place.

Pwny_Xpress posted:

Seriously. Is he too broken to grapple in like.... Metamoris? I would watch the poo poo out of that.

I'd watch it, but chances are he'd get wrecked by legit dudes like Octavio or Kron in pure BJJ competition.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
so specific

niethan fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 26, 2014

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

niethan posted:

so specific

That is a mustache-less Don Frye, sorry.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Gregor Samsa posted:

That is a mustache-less Don Frye, sorry.

That only existed for five minutes after Don Frye's birth, so that's impossible.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

LobsterMobster posted:

That only existed for five minutes after Don Frye's birth, so that's impossible.

Who are you to say that isn't a photo of a five minute old infant D.Frye.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

niethan posted:

Who are you to say that isn't a photo of a five minute old infant D.Frye.

Fair point. I will concede that possibility.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/4/26/5654626/vitor-belfort-my-opponents-wont-have-trt-excuse-when-they-lose-now

hahah

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
I would have been happy to see Weidman grind Vitor into a fine paste but I am actually really pumped for Machida now.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Watched Leben vs Akiyama from UFC 116 and holy smokes how do two guys take a beating like that and still stay standing. I know missed the talk about Browne's rib and the science of a liver blow but Leben needs to donate his jaw to science after he dies. I've seen a couple fights now where guys keep fighting after they've been rocked, but the way both Leben and Akiyama kept trading jabs after they've punched each other silly was almost scary. I'm not sure if Leben really had the presence of mind to lock in the sub at the end or if he got a little lucky that Akiyama slipped the way he did, but it was an amazing fight.

Also watched the legendary Hendo vs Rua match from UFC 139 and really enjoyed that as well. Obviously Rua did well, but I'm not sure that he was quite on par with Hendo like a lot of people say, but I was pretty tired when I watched the fight and I'm just getting into the UFC so maybe I just didn't see what more experienced fans saw. Pretty insane that Hendo was 41 at the time of that fight and he's still going strong now. He looks like Alice the Goon from the Popeye cartoons but he is one hell of a fighter.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I do want Vitor to get licensed in Nevada even though he probably failed his test and should be suspended for a year.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Panama Red posted:

Watched Leben vs Akiyama from UFC 116 and holy smokes how do two guys take a beating like that and still stay standing. I know missed the talk about Browne's rib and the science of a liver blow but Leben needs to donate his jaw to science after he dies. I've seen a couple fights now where guys keep fighting after they've been rocked, but the way both Leben and Akiyama kept trading jabs after they've punched each other silly was almost scary. I'm not sure if Leben really had the presence of mind to lock in the sub at the end or if he got a little lucky that Akiyama slipped the way he did, but it was an amazing fight.

Also watched the legendary Hendo vs Rua match from UFC 139 and really enjoyed that as well. Obviously Rua did well, but I'm not sure that he was quite on par with Hendo like a lot of people say, but I was pretty tired when I watched the fight and I'm just getting into the UFC so maybe I just didn't see what more experienced fans saw. Pretty insane that Hendo was 41 at the time of that fight and he's still going strong now. He looks like Alice the Goon from the Popeye cartoons but he is one hell of a fighter.

You should watch the Hendo/Shogun rematch too. Also you should be standing and pacing infront of your television set like a Real American.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Panama Red posted:

Watched Leben vs Akiyama from UFC 116 and holy smokes how do two guys take a beating like that and still stay standing. I know missed the talk about Browne's rib and the science of a liver blow but Leben needs to donate his jaw to science after he dies.

You should make sure not to watch Leben's retirement fight against Uriah Hall, because it's really depressing for this exact reason. He just continuously plods forward into stiff counterpunches and almost gets TKOed but is saved by the bell, at which point he decides on the spot that he's going to retire from MMA rather than fight a second round.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Watch Uriah Hall's post fight interview though.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Watch Uriah Hall's post fight interview though.

SHOUT OUTS TO PAUL WALKER AND NELSON MANDELA

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

-Atom- posted:

SHOUT OUTS TO PAUL WALKER AND NELSON MANDELA

I don't know what phrase I'm looking for, but I wish someone would catalogue great non fight mma moments. It would Include quotes like this, the best excuses, and stuff like Cody Mckenzie losing his shorts and Yoel Romero crapping his shorts etc.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Panama Red posted:

Shouldn't be too hard, his brain's probably already been red flagged for CTE research.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
(also shane del rosario i guess)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Panama Red posted:

There is a pretty common notion of a "lucky punch", but the more I watch combat sports the less I believe this is true. Luck seems to be a combination of skill, timing, set-ups, and your opponent making mistakes.

When it comes to submissions, there is no such thing. You can't accidentally triangle a guy, it is a very complex move requiring you do several subtle moves simultaneously. Especially against grappler like Akiyama, who knows how do defend such a thing. That choke has to be 95% perfect to have any effect at all, and even then its possible to escape. Akiyama was beaten and tired at that point which probably contributed a bit to the tap, but I recall it being a pretty good triangle in any case.

I never liked Leben, but that fight made me respect him as a martial artist instead of some dumb brawler.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
So apparently Andre Fili is a man of many hats, and fancies himself a bit of a musician (because of course he does) and fronts a mathcore band called "It's Godzilla" and some bro-y real bad hip-hop/rap whatever group "Boss Biz"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItJwFWDlH9w

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Seltzer posted:

I don't know what phrase I'm looking for, but I wish someone would catalogue great non fight mma moments. It would Include quotes like this, the best excuses, and stuff like Cody Mckenzie losing his shorts and Yoel Romero crapping his shorts etc.

not quite entirely what you asked for and they're so old it seems like another world now but

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21gvs_don-t-fear-me-fear-the-consequences_sport
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x21gzw_don-t-fear-me-fear-the-consequences_sport

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
All Hail Krazy Horse

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Seltzer posted:

Here is some bad Tito/Affliction quotes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4bGO5ndVs

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
"Michael Jordan-esque in his grappling skills is Travis Lutter"

"No. No. No. He's not that good."

"Kobe Bryant then? Tim Duncan"

"No. No."

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Kevin Love Esque.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

"Michael Jordan-esque in his grappling skills is Travis Lutter"

"No. No. No. He's not that good."

"Kobe Bryant then? Tim Duncan"

"No. No."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQd0dhfFoUQ&t=113s

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

All Hail Krazy Horse

he'll always have a place in history :allears:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

-Atom- posted:

So apparently Andre Fili is a man of many hats, and fancies himself a bit of a musician (because of course he does) and fronts a mathcore band called "It's Godzilla" and some bro-y real bad hip-hop/rap whatever group "Boss Biz"

Fili vs CortXBomb - Alternate battle raps and grappling

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
loooool Mike Goldberg loving everything up is twice as funny now that I've seen him get upset about getting made fun of

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
good arlovski moment:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

loooool Mike Goldberg loving everything up is twice as funny now that I've seen him get upset about getting made fun of

links?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I 100% remember reading something about how his performance in that fight was impacted by the fact he wanted to do his absolute best at ADCC. Maybe it wasn't not throwing punches, maybe he is just Brazillian, but it was A Thing That Happened.

That's so funny. And also so disrespectful to Arlovski. Pretty cool.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
@UFCONFOX
Chuck Liddell: "If Jones wants to fight me, if he convinces Dana, I'm not so sure I wouldn't give it to him." #UFC

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
I wouldn't pay money for that fight but I'd be reasonably happy to know that it had happened.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

-Atom- posted:

After seeing him fight and his walkout this is the least surprising post ever made retrospectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

origami posted:

@UFCONFOX
Chuck Liddell: "If Jones wants to fight me, if he convinces Dana, I'm not so sure I wouldn't give it to him." #UFC

Well Jon's wanted a real one-punch knockout on his highlight reel.

• Locked thread