Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
It actually seems like if you drain your stamina completely you can't sprint unless it's full and you wait a second or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone else miss the menu music from Dark Souls? Messing around in the character creator just didn't feel right without that music in the background.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

The Crusher posted:

You can initiate a sprint with a partial stamina bar, but if you completely drain your stamina with a sprint then you cannot sprint again until it is completely full. So sprint to 20% bar, stop, let it recover to 50%, and sprinting again works just fine.

Yeah I just tested again and you're right.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

The Crusher posted:

So I spent 3 hours last night protecting Belfry Luna with my shirtless bodybuilder. Powerstance dual cestus is still obscenely powerful in PvP for stun locking and guard breaking. I've got no idea what I'll do with 40+ titanite cynks, but that bell sure is safe.

Isn't it amazing?? :woop:

Dual cesti that is. Also protecting the bell but that's more just dumb stupid fun.

I want someone to set all the Bell Keeper guy's dialogue to dubstep so you can put it on loop while you bellbro.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone else miss the menu music from Dark Souls? Messing around in the character creator just didn't feel right without that music in the background.

Yeah, I do. I know it's a really simple melody, but it was nice. I think the DaS2 way of doing it was cool as well, but nostalgia kicks in an yeah it was fun sitting there configuring your nose bridge width with that cool track in the background.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I am a moron.

I am playing on the PC and cannot figure out how to light my torch at the first bondfire. I am using a keyboard and mouse.

How do I do this?

I lit the fire, then broke the cart and found the torch behind it. How do I light it?

I do not see any control listed as a "toggle" button. Y on a controller but nothing listed in the PC controls.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 26, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Also all the people complaining about the jumping... you know you can rebind it to work the old way, right?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fuzz posted:

Also all the people complaining about the jumping... you know you can rebind it to work the old way, right?

Why would you do this? Why would you not want a dedicated jump button? :psyduck:

Diogines posted:

I do not see any control listed as a "toggle" button. Y on a controller but nothing listed in the PC controls.

Its whatever you have twohand weapon bound too. It took me way too long to figure this out.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Crusher posted:

So I spent 3 hours last night protecting Belfry Luna with my shirtless bodybuilder. Powerstance dual cestus is still obscenely powerful in PvP for stun locking and guard breaking. I've got no idea what I'll do with 40+ titanite cynks, but that bell sure is safe.

Last night I got summoned alongside another Bellbro using that muscleman dual cestus so I guess that's either you or it's a much-imitated character. I'm playing dual cestus too (though as a fat lady currently in Drangleic mail) and it's pretty fn having two of you just pummelling the guy to death.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Noxville posted:

Last night I got summoned alongside another Bellbro using that muscleman dual cestus so I guess that's either you or it's a much-imitated character. I'm playing dual cestus too (though as a fat lady currently in Drangleic mail) and it's pretty fn having two of you just pummelling the guy to death.

Maybe! I just had the Drangleic pants on, bald head and the fancy mustache. The only other girl character I bellbro'd with just punched me relentelessly while I punched her after a successful kill.

Though my favorite thing right now are people who hide on the narrow bridge so I can close the door, punch it to pieces, and then wave at them.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I started off as a swordsman and have rolled with dual wield, but I feel like I'm doing reallly low damage. I just cleared Forest of the Fallen Giants, and have moved on to Heide's tower. I'm trying to fight Phantom Ornstein and man, do I feel anemic even with +2/+1 weapons. It's a real endurance match because it takes so long for me to grind his health anywhere. Thank gods I realized early on that I can just rush past all the sentinels.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So I decided to do Heide's Tower and No Man's Wharf pretty much first. Glad I used an Effigy and summoned for the ship, because I got the 'at risk' message on my sword literally right on my first hit on the boss.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Put in a solid chunk of my day off yesterday playing Dark Souls 2 after no previous experience or spoilers. It was really fun, frustrating and foreboding - everything I was looking for.

Last thing I did was kill some creepy giant that tore his arm and then looted more souls than I'd ever seen before

I spent all those souls on armor and now I look like a real knight:

Hello, ladies...

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I see what people mean by disjointed level design. Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep -> Belfry Sol feels very "unnatural". The areas in general don't feel like anyone actually lives or lived there, it's all very video game-y.

I never get the feeling that I'm "done" with an area either because sometimes you pick the wrong way and hit a point of no return. Sure, you can warp, but depending on the level you'd have to do it alllll over again first.

e: The limited lockstones also don't exactly help.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 26, 2014

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you do this? Why would you not want a dedicated jump button? :psyduck:

Because you've developed hundreds of hours of muscle memory from previous Souls games and/or find clicking the same analog stick you're using to move around awkward for whatever reason.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Do you guys in heavy armor just dump shitloads of points into Vitality? I can't imagine not having the <40% roll, but then again I only have like 12 VIT at the moment and am still using Wanderer armor because I haven't found anything better (looking) yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow, so gently caress whoever designed the baskilisk acid gently caress hole. You either die or get all your armour broken because you rolled into acid. gently caress.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 26, 2014

vittles for the chitlins
Nov 4, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaay~
I like being hit by soul arrows that are ten yards away from me, and teleporting back stabs. Otherwise this game is pretty drat fair and I like everything about it.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Can I just say that all the rings in this game look fantastic and I like looking at them. Especially the cat ring, I'd wear the hell out of it if one existed.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

My next stupid question, because they can spend MILLIONS to make a game, yet not overlay keyboard controls...

I rebound a key. How do I exit the menu and save the change? Every way I use to close the menu, the change resets.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Do you guys in heavy armor just dump shitloads of points into Vitality? I can't imagine not having the <40% roll, but then again I only have like 12 VIT at the moment and am still using Wanderer armor because I haven't found anything better (looking) yet.

I thought the only time it checks is at 70% and the rest is just Adaptability. I've got like 15 Vitality and the Drangleic set myself, I can equip a sword and catalyst but can't afford a shield. Which doesn't matter since I've not used one all game anyway.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Umbreon posted:

The shortcut in cardinal tower where you firebomb a bunch of explosive barrels didn't work. The barrels just exploded but no hole in the wall opened at all. I tried resting at the bonfire to reset the barrels, but it didn't work.

Are they gone for good and I'm hosed?

No, teleport out and back. Load screens reload objects

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Diogines posted:

My next stupid question, because they can spend MILLIONS to make a game, yet not overlay keyboard controls...

I rebound a key. How do I exit the menu and save the change? Every way I use to close the menu, the change resets.

You have to press whatever you have cancel bound too. Yes, that sounds dumb but that's how it works. As much as I love this game the pc version still using console button displays is really loving dumb.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Spudd posted:

Can I just say that all the rings in this game look fantastic and I like looking at them. Especially the cat ring, I'd wear the hell out of it if one existed.

Given how much Dark Souls stuff is on Etsy, I'd be shocked if someone didn't make one eventually.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Is it possible that they will ever fix this keybind poo poo? I'm really confused and have spent more time trying to figure out basic stuff and binding than I have dying to monsters and ledges.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Maybe I'm retarded but how the gently caress do you execute a guard break move, or a jump attack?

All I know how to do is hold my shield up, hit + strong hit with my sword. Strong hit with the shield holding hand doesn't seem to do anything.. just a swipe at the air.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

PirateBob posted:

Maybe I'm retarded but how the gently caress do you execute a guard break move, or a jump attack?

All I know how to do is hold my shield up, hit + strong hit with my sword. Strong hit with the shield holding hand doesn't seem to do anything.. just a swipe at the air.

If you're trying to use a mouse the timing is a huge bitch to get right unless you use autohotkey or another of the rebinding methods, however by default w + g instantly pulls the jump attack and the same goes for the guard break except by default it's w + h. The swipe you're getting is a parry not a guard break.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Assuming you're with a controller, guard break is up on the left stuck + R1 light attack. The inputs must be simultaneous, an upward tap and and attack. This move only works against a raised shield and will stagger an opponent. If you attack them with a light attack while staggered you get a free critical hit. This is mostly useful in PvP.

Jump attack is an upward flick on the movement stick + heavy attack.

The strong attack with a shield is a parry, if you time the swipe correctly against an attacking opponent (usually only viable against humanoid opponents that are of equal or similar size to yourself) you will brush their attack off and bring them to the ground. If you light attack them after they have fallen to the ground you will get a critical strike.

NamePolice
Feb 26, 2011
Is there somewhere special you have to stand to not die against Executioner's Chariot? My general strategy is to rush the necromancers but I keep getting killed in the alcove after the first one, which seems like a problem with the arena geometry. I'm using the Drangleic Shield so I should be safe against his attacks when he comes by, but regardless I just get OHKO'd.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You have to press whatever you have cancel bound too. Yes, that sounds dumb but that's how it works. As much as I love this game the pc version still using console button displays is really loving dumb.

Ah.

Thank you.

Last question for now.

Any way to manually controls to something else, say, in an .ini file?

I want to bind jump back to X but it has very limited options for WHAT I can bind it to.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Now... I'm not saying the Smelter Demon is a poo poo boss but unavoidable damage is cheap.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

NamePolice posted:

Is there somewhere special you have to stand to not die against Executioner's Chariot? My general strategy is to rush the necromancers but I keep getting killed in the alcove after the first one, which seems like a problem with the arena geometry. I'm using the Drangleic Shield so I should be safe against his attacks when he comes by, but regardless I just get OHKO'd.

Just stay in the alcoves and keep pushing ahead. It's a puzzle.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

NamePolice posted:

That's weird, the alcoves will keep you safe so long as you're huddled up inside one. Maybe you're trying to hide in something that isn't an alcove but just some decorative texture? I dunno. Try another alcove further on. Also, for what it's worth, you can avoid him whenever he comes around just by rolling underneath one of the wheel spikes, if you have high enough agility. No alcoves necessary.

RushJet
Aug 29, 2013

Barfk! Barfk!
:goatdrugs:
Any one else notice the lack of invasions happening? I have yet to be invaded once by another player. Are they just not as common in your first play through?

:iiam:

NamePolice
Feb 26, 2011

chaos rhames posted:

Just stay in the alcoves and keep pushing ahead. It's a puzzle.

I understand the fight, it's just that the Chariot attacks me even when I should be safe inside the alcove.

e: Ah, I understand it now. If anyone else is having trouble, the Executioner's scythe alternates sides each time, so you have to alternate between the alcoves on both sides to avoid getting owned.
e2: Or not.

NamePolice fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 26, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

RushJet posted:

Any one else notice the lack of invasions happening? I have yet to be invaded once by another player. Are they just not as common in your first play through?

Cracked Red Eye Orbs are not as easy to acquire.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I lied, I have one more keyboard question.

How do I break guards?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Nathilus posted:

If you're trying to use a mouse the timing is a huge bitch to get right unless you use autohotkey or another of the rebinding methods, however by default w + g instantly pulls the jump attack and the same goes for the guard break except by default it's w + h. The swipe you're getting is a parry not a guard break.

What do you mean by G and H? I changed the controls a bit.

edit: n/m, got it. Thanks.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 26, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

RushJet posted:

I'm not sure how they WOULD happen early on. I invaded exactly one person my first ten hours, and that's because of the single cracked red eye orb I found in the tutorial. If you want more easily, the pigs by the mansion in Majula have a relatively low chance to drop them. Aside from that, up until the invasion covenant, there's not many ways/chances to invade like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Spudd posted:

It kind of does! Here's a very similar one.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cute-Silver-Cat-Shaped-Ring-With-Rhinestone-Eyes-Adjustable-and-Resizeable/1161473405.html