Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
TRS remarks: Callsign Citrus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
N124 5 miles south of FARTO cross FARTO at or above 2,100.......

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kmcormick9 posted:

N124 5 miles south of FARTO cross FARTO at or above 2,100.......

My favorite fix in my airspace is DONGO.

Sinbad's Sex Tape
Mar 21, 2004
Stuck in a giant clam
There's a SHART somewhere out in Denver center I'll try and short cut people to. We've got a BULLZ arrival that has nothing Bulls related on it, but it does have BHAWK, STNLE, CUUPP. They started working on adding those fixes in 2010 and luckily they won the Stanley Cup again a few months before they activated them last year.

Edit: A controller cleared a guy direct BHAWK the other day and the guy asked if he meant direct blues

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I have always appreciated KC BBQ:

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1404/00780IL1R.PDF

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I went to Kansas City for my FAA pre employment processing years ago. Jack Stack BBQ was absolutely amazing.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Memphis just got into this game with one of their new RNAV arrivals. WHOLL, HOOOG on the BRBBQ Arrival.

The Ferret King posted:

I went to Kansas City for my FAA pre employment processing years ago. Jack Stack BBQ was absolutely amazing.

I just ate some Oklahoma Joe's about an hour ago :smug:

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Any Canadians working for NavCanada reading this thread?

I'm thinking of applying but I come from a wine retail/purchasing/logistics background and have zero aviation experience. It's always interested me though.
The NavCanada website seems fairly informative with regards to training length and other things.

What concerns me is reading a bunch of stuff online about how NavCanada is a terrible company to work for and that people would leave in a heartbeat if their ATC skills actually translated to other, non-aviation, fields. So consequently, it sounds like you have people who make decent money but absolutely hate their jobs.

I'm assuming the training is probably as extensive as it is in the States, so thanks to those who posted their experience with their training period.

Basically, I'd love to hear from anyone working for NavCanada and what their experience has been thus far with the company, how the training component was, the odds of being stationed in Iqaluit or some other remote outpost for years on end, etc..

Also, a more general question here, do you need any specific skills or personality traits in order work in this field?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Question: Does tower have to specifically give you approval to overfly the field when commencing a circle?

re: http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1404/00022VB.PDF

I asked my student what circling instructions we expected to hear, and he said "cleared to overfly the field, circle NE for a L base to runway 13"

I told him I've never requested to overfly the field, and never said "overfly the field" when requesting the specific circling instructions above. However, tower read back "cleared to overfly, circle NE for a L base to runway 13."

So is it required to say, or is he being nice because he knows it's a student training sortie? How would Tower specifically like me to phrase my circling requests?

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug
By all means if you have a specific direction/special request for the circle put it on request and we'll try to make it happen. I don't hear requests like that too often but I have heard checkins like "xxx, 5 miles out on LDA 22, request to overfly 22 circle west for 13" or something similar. Overflying can help us eliminate the conflict at the base to final turn that can happen with runway configurations like Ardmore and my airport's (Amarillo).

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

ColdBlooded posted:

Any Canadians working for NavCanada reading this thread?

I'm thinking of applying but I come from a wine retail/purchasing/logistics background and have zero aviation experience. It's always interested me though.
The NavCanada website seems fairly informative with regards to training length and other things.

What concerns me is reading a bunch of stuff online about how NavCanada is a terrible company to work for and that people would leave in a heartbeat if their ATC skills actually translated to other, non-aviation, fields. So consequently, it sounds like you have people who make decent money but absolutely hate their jobs.

I'm assuming the training is probably as extensive as it is in the States, so thanks to those who posted their experience with their training period.

Basically, I'd love to hear from anyone working for NavCanada and what their experience has been thus far with the company, how the training component was, the odds of being stationed in Iqaluit or some other remote outpost for years on end, etc..

Also, a more general question here, do you need any specific skills or personality traits in order work in this field?

I started on with NavCanada about 6 years ago as an FSS(at a site and not a FIC thank god) and I love it, no complaints but I don't know how it is from the control side of things so I can't really answer from that end.

e: if you're going to be a controller the most remote you'll be is Yellowknife or Whitehorse(which I hear is very nice).

mcvey fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 24, 2014

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I had a C-17 that couldn't get into the local Air Force base because the weather was below mins he needed to shoot the approach. He asked to hold, and I asked him if he was familiar with one of our holding fixes known as WAKOV. The pilot replied "Yeah, we're *very* familiar with WAKOV"

"Proceed direct WAKOV and hold"

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

mcvey posted:

I started on with NavCanada about 6 years ago as an FSS(at a site and not a FIC thank god) and I love it, no complaints but I don't know how it is from the control side of things so I can't really answer from that end.

e: if you're going to be a controller the most remote you'll be is Yellowknife or Whitehorse(which I hear is very nice).

Thanks for the response. I'm getting the impression that you end up assigned to a specific field (FSS or Area Controller or whatever) based on your initial testing; is that correct or do you have a say in where you end up?

Also, where is the classroom and simulator training held at? Is it a regional thing or is it at a single location? What about the on the job training? I live in Winnipeg so would I be doing the training here or would they ship me to some random place? I'd like to think they would hold off on sending you to some random place until you're actually being paid your full salary, but of course I have no clue..

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 24, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

xaarman posted:

Question: Does tower have to specifically give you approval to overfly the field when commencing a circle?

Nope, only the cardinal direction of the circle and the pattern leg to enter.

"Circle south of the airport for a right downwind to runway 13"

If that instruction results in needing to overfly the field, so be it.

quote:

4-8-6. CIRCLING APPROACH

a. Circling approach instructions may only be given for aircraft landing at airports with operational control towers.

b. Include in the approach clearance instructions to circle to the runway in use if landing will be made on a runway other than that aligned with the direction of instrument approach. When the direction of the circling maneuver in relation to the airport/runway is required, state the direction (eight cardinal compass points) and specify a left or right base/downwind leg as appropriate.

PHRASEOLOGY-

CIRCLE TO RUNWAY (number),

or

CIRCLE (direction using eight cardinal compass points) OF THE AIRPORT/RUNWAY FOR A LEFT/RIGHT BASE/DOWNWIND TO RUNWAY (number).

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 24, 2014

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
From the fix discussion on the last page: RNAV STAR's seem to be growing in popularity, and with them creatively named waypoints.

There's an arrival into ORD that has has WELCM, TEEOO, CHCGO in a row. Edit: beaten to the BULLZ/BHAWK irony.

The best (worst) have to be the FRDMM and TRUPS arrivals into DCA. They both have a serious helping of :911: and are a royal pain in the rear end to fly because they have waaaaaay too many speed and altitude restrictions.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 25, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

KodiakRS posted:

The best (worst) have to be the FRDMM and TRUPS arrivals into DCA. They both have a serious helping of :911: and are a royal pain in the rear end to fly because they have waaaaaay too many speed and altitude restrictions.

I don't know. For best I kinda like the Portsmouth RNAV 16. Especially if you come in from the eastern western IAF and have to go missed southwest southeast of the airport.

fordan fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 26, 2014

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
You mean western and southeast?

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I hope the western service area HR management division had a lot of paper in their fax machine today. Sent 4 different ERRs. Anyone work in Arizona?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

The Ferret King posted:

You mean western and southeast?

Derp. Yes.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Iucounu posted:

I hope the western service area HR management division had a lot of paper in their fax machine today. Sent 4 different ERRs. Anyone work in Arizona?

I did a transfer request blast like that about a year ago now. I hope you have better luck. Mobility in the agency is low right now. A lot of people become supervisors just to get the opportunity to transfer. I'm hoping it won't take much longer for me to get picked up somewhere I want to go.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

ColdBlooded posted:

Recognize a mistake you have made and then fix it without getting worked up. Also skills with interacting with other makes your job easier. I work in the states but I would imagine those two things would be required regardless of the country. As far as things that would be easier to learn... math, geography, weather and pilot lingo.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

The Ferret King posted:

I did a transfer request blast like that about a year ago now. I hope you have better luck. Mobility in the agency is low right now. A lot of people become supervisors just to get the opportunity to transfer. I'm hoping it won't take much longer for me to get picked up somewhere I want to go.

Speaking of that, I just did it. Got called last week Thursday, after over 5 years of trying to get there I'm headed to MSN as a supe! Can't wait to be back home in Wisconsin again.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

General aircraft knowledge as well. Types, relative performance, the basics of VOR navigation, weather, quick in-your-head math, etc.

No one expects you to solve for x on the fly, but being able to math out whether the guy will make it 3400 feet in six minutes by observing his rate of climb helps.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

ColdBlooded posted:

Thanks for the response. I'm getting the impression that you end up assigned to a specific field (FSS or Area Controller or whatever) based on your initial testing; is that correct or do you have a say in where you end up?
You do have a say on what you want go for whether it's VFR controller, flight services, IFR, etc.

quote:

Also, where is the classroom and simulator training held at? Is it a regional thing or is it at a single location? What about the on the job training? I live in Winnipeg so would I be doing the training here or would they ship me to some random place? I'd like to think they would hold off on sending you to some random place until you're actually being paid your full salary, but of course I have no clue..
Training is all regional and takes place at the Area Control Centers across the country meaning you would get to stay in Winnipeg for it. All training used to take place in Cornwall, Ontario but they scrapped that several years ago and went with the regional system they have now.

Sorry for the late reply!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Figured I'd bring this thread back to life with a simple message to all these little pop up storms that have been over southern Missouri and Illinois this week:

:fuckoff:

One co-worker did have something positive to add in that at least the rides have been good!

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
This is my tracker. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My tracker is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. This tracker is amazing, just like I am amazing.
We just got some new arrivals in Toronto. Here's one:

The only transition fixes are OTNIK, NAKAL, and IRKIM. This is the first time we've had transition fixes so far away from the field.

Now, imagine you're coming in from the west or southwest on a different arrival but there's a thunderstorm in the way. In that case I might prefer if you came in from the north so I might say "proceed direct BOXUM and fly the MANS7 arrival". However, I was told that without specifying the transition fix (either OTNIK or NAKAL, both of which are hundreds of miles away) you would have trouble inputting the clearance into your FMS. Is that true?

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Varlock posted:

We just got some new arrivals in Toronto. Here's one:

The only transition fixes are OTNIK, NAKAL, and IRKIM. This is the first time we've had transition fixes so far away from the field.

Now, imagine you're coming in from the west or southwest on a different arrival but there's a thunderstorm in the way. In that case I might prefer if you came in from the north so I might say "proceed direct BOXUM and fly the MANS7 arrival". However, I was told that without specifying the transition fix (either OTNIK or NAKAL, both of which are hundreds of miles away) you would have trouble inputting the clearance into your FMS. Is that true?

Couldn't they just program IRKIM.MANS7 then just push DIRECT TO: BOXUM or delete the IRKIM fix? That's what I would do (at least that's what I would do in Flight Sim with an FMS aircraft).

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
This is my tracker. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My tracker is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. This tracker is amazing, just like I am amazing.
Okay, so if I issue direct BOXUM it's no problem since it's on all the transitions? What if I issue direct DARID instead?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Down here, we issue direct to fixes on the arrival all the time. I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Are you with NavCanada?

Delayed edit:

Certified on my second two D sides. Just the three high sectors (which train combined,) to go before I can go to R school and actually be useful!

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

MrYenko posted:

Down here, we issue direct to fixes on the arrival all the time. I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Are you with NavCanada?

Delayed edit:

Certified on my second two D sides. Just the three high sectors (which train combined,) to go before I can go to R school and actually be useful!

High sectors are freebies, so grats man.

Varlock
Aug 15, 2001
Alright, thanks for the responses. It sounds like it won't be a problem.

MrYenko posted:

Are you with NavCanada?

Delayed edit:

Yeah, I work for NAV CANADA.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Interesting new arrival to iah popped up in the uret today....

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Dot Dot Dot.

We've seen many new standard arrivals into the Houston area in the last few weeks as a result of their airspace re-design. What are you talking about?

EDIT: I'm guessing the BOOZZ1? Yeah, kinda funny. Because, alcohol?

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 3, 2014

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

The Ferret King posted:

Dot Dot Dot.

We've seen many new standard arrivals into the Houston area in the last few weeks as a result of their airspace re-design. What are you talking about?

EDIT: I'm guessing the BOOZZ1? Yeah, kinda funny. Because, alcohol?

Nope. DOOBI1

Although the WHACK1 was good too

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

kmcormick9 posted:

Nope. DOOBI1

Although the WHACK1 was good too

Should be a STAR to Boulder, CO. :350:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
A UK specific question if anyone knows:

Is there an altitude above which you don't have to check in with ATC? I'm trying to fact check this article: http://t.co/k2g4SKPyWY

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

A UK specific question if anyone knows:

Is there an altitude above which you don't have to check in with ATC? I'm trying to fact check this article: http://t.co/k2g4SKPyWY

I didn't make it past

quote:

at the unusually high altitude of 45,000 feet. It had not filed a flight plan, and was flying above the level at which air traffic control reporting is mandatory.

That alone is full of enough poo poo to discredit whatever else they want to talk about.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thought so. I was going through the CAA documents to find out but got very bored.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

thehustler posted:

Thought so. I was going through the CAA documents to find out but got very bored.

You can probably just google image search "european airspace classes" and get some graphs. I think they have a similar setup to U.S. airspace in that FL180-FL600 are IFR only and therefore require an IFR clearance/flight plan to enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Tops out at 660 across most of Europe. So, yeah.