Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Now... I'm not saying the Smelter Demon is a poo poo boss but unavoidable damage is cheap.

It barely does any damage, just pop a lifegem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just beat Najaska and now found what looks like a Dwarf Fortress, complete with murderous elephants. Is there a bonfire anywhere near the entrance? I have no estus between the boss fight and the first room and don't want to hike all the way back to the bonfire on the bridge.

EDIT: Oh my god I finally find a mimic and of course there are no warning messages. :suicide:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

It barely does any damage, just pop a lifegem.

I am the most miserly sunbro though!

From what I hear, the guy gets exponentially harder for melee characters in NG because of his aura.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man it's really easy to summon people AND be summoned in DSII, the game is much more alive and i'm loving helping all fellow adventurers :unsmith:

If you guys want a pratical way of getting heals i suggest making sex puns messages near all females in the game. Giving genuine help about hidden treasure or ambushes are also good :v:

Is there any way to kill the monster in this link?

http://i.imgur.com/UqYjuKy.jpg

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Diogines posted:

I lied, I have one more keyboard question.

How do I break guards?

Tap forward + right hand normal attack at the same time.. I think you have to stand still when doing it. You have to time it perfectly.. same goes for jump attacks (forward + strong left or strong right attack)

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Mans posted:

Man it's really easy to summon people AND be summoned in DSII, the game is much more alive and i'm loving helping all fellow adventurers :unsmith:

If you guys want a pratical way of getting heals i suggest making sex puns messages near all females in the game. Giving genuine help about hidden treasure or ambushes are also good :v:

Is there any way to kill the monster in this link?

http://i.imgur.com/UqYjuKy.jpg

Yeah but there's no point, just run around there after it's attacked.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RushJet posted:

Any one else notice the lack of invasions happening? I have yet to be invaded once by another player. Are they just not as common in your first play through?

Yeah, it partly has to do with Soul Memory. Since a steady source of cracked red orbs doesn't quite come until you join the BoB you're going to accumulate enough souls to put you out of range of people starting up. The small bits of orbs you otherwise find don't account for very much.

There are also lot of other hoops potential invaders will probably want to jump through before invading to make use of the cracked orbs since getting more can be tedious. Naturally that will just bump SM even higher.

Invasions don't seem to kick in until NG+.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
"The nature of your being has changed!"

What? What does that me- oh, wait...

Hahahahhahahahhahahahhah :darksouls:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Logan 5 posted:

"The nature of your being has changed!"

What? What does that me- oh, wait...

Hahahahhahahahhahahahhah :darksouls:

They actually added a message to indicate the coffin does something? That's lame.

I'm assuming that's what you're talking about anyway

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Did any of you guys manage to make Hexes and sorcery mixed builds not suck at the chariot? These skeletons barely take any damage.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
On the topic of GAVLAN DEAL: Will the guy ever turn up in Majula?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just beat Najaska and now found what looks like a Dwarf Fortress, complete with murderous elephants. Is there a bonfire anywhere near the entrance? I have no estus between the boss fight and the first room and don't want to hike all the way back to the bonfire on the bridge.

EDIT: Oh my god I finally find a mimic and of course there are no warning messages. :suicide:

Oh hey, what's your SM right now, maybe you can come visit my funhouse. :v:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Do you get a bonus from wearing a complete set of matching armor?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Volt Catfish posted:

They actually added a message to indicate the coffin does something? That's lame.

I'm assuming that's what you're talking about anyway

Yes I'm talking about the coffin. Did it not say anything before? Its still pretty unclear what has happened at first if your character is wearing a lot of armor.

On the topic of GAVLAN DEAL: Will the guy ever turn up in Majula?

Wondering this too, just fought my way back to where he was and poof, gone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Logan 5 posted:

Yes I'm talking about the coffin. Did it not say anything before? Its still pretty unclear what has happened at first if your character is wearing a lot of armor.

Nope. Originally, you were just like "Huh? That was pointless. Whatever" and then 5+ hours in the game you're like WHY AM I SUDDENLY A DUDE/CHICK!? :aaa:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
If I'm only halfway through Forest of the Fallen Giants, about how long will it be before I can get to Harvest Valley to join the Sun covenant, and is there a way to get there early? It would be nice to earn Sunlight Medals while I'm still in the first few areas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Holy poo poo the Rat King covenant is amazing.

I almost skewered another interloper to death but he ran away onto the bridge. I followed him but accidentally rolled at the wrong moment and fell off the edge, only for him to do the exact same thing a second later. So we both died :haw:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Schrodingers cat posted:

Did any of you guys manage to make Hexes and sorcery mixed builds not suck at the chariot? These skeletons barely take any damage.

Great Resonant Soul with a decently upgraded chime should work wonders.

From what I hear, the guy gets exponentially harder for melee characters in NG because of his aura.

Not even remotely. The damage really isn't that significant, less than poison. Unless you get taken down to really low HP by one of his attacks and stay close to him at that point, it's not gonna mean anything more than you healing a bit more often.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Oh god, how do I deal with the Old Knight that has a mace? I figured out how to cheese the sword/shield Old Knight by circling counter-clockwise and hitting him in the back with a 2-hand wielded mace (I started Knight, and only have 2 level-ups). The mace Old Knight, on the other hand, just seems to instantly leap at me and murder me. All the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Logan 5 posted:

Wondering this too, just fought my way back to where he was and poof, gone.

Gavlan goes from Wharf to Harvest Valley to Doors of Pharros each time you talk to him, and then stays at the last one selling infinite supplies of his consumables.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So I wanna God Hand it up with dual lightning Cestus. If I grab Sunlight Blade, is there any way to get that on both fists, or is it one only?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If I'm only halfway through Forest of the Fallen Giants, about how long will it be before I can get to Harvest Valley to join the Sun covenant, and is there a way to get there early? It would be nice to earn Sunlight Medals while I'm still in the first few areas.

It's a ways away, you need to kill the Dragonrider at least. You need the priest lady's help to rotate the weird contraption in the Fire Tower tunnel to open up the way to Huntsman's Copse. Harvest Valley is beyond another boss in there.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So, I just got to Sinner's Rise, and the water hell. I swear those chain noises are driving me insane, they're loud and ominous and it makes it impossible to tell if they're near or far until BOOM while you're fighting a biggie.

Oh, and it's dark as hell, making me paranoid. Hahahahahahah. This was the Dark Souls I remember.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Orv posted:

Gavlan goes from Wharf to Harvest Valley to Doors of Pharros each time you talk to him, and then stays at the last one selling infinite supplies of his consumables.

Okay, I'm assuming these are places I havent gotten to yet cause I'm still trying to get out of the Bastille.

holy gently caress is it just me or is the three ruined sentinels boss fight a pain in the rear end?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

You can melee him from outside of aura range with many, many melee weapons. Any thrust attacks or polearms work fine, it's really only super point blank no range attacks like cestus and maces that have to get that close. Either way his aura is totally insignificant even on NG+ since you're 99.999% more likely to die to a flubbed dodge into one shot than you are to aura ticking.

Also what the christ, if you're a phantom pop an estus since you get it back if you win anyway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Man, it's like nothing has any kind of resistance against bludgeoning damage. Maybe this is From's way of saying "AND THIS IS WHY PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE AGES DIDN'T GENERALLY HACK AWAY AT BREASTPLATES WITH SWORDS".

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I keep getting a bug where when I get summoned it keeps looping on the load screen and I have to force the program to close, anyone know what the deal is here and if I can fix it?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So wait, there's still NPC summons? And you need to summon them for questlines? I know that reportedly the player signs thin out but is there something to make the NPC signs stand out? Or should I just check a wiki if I don't want to miss anything?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

scamtank posted:

Man, it's like nothing has any kind of resistance against bludgeoning damage. Maybe this is From's way of saying "AND THIS IS WHY PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE AGES DIDN'T GENERALLY HACK AWAY AT BREASTPLATES WITH SWORDS".

Yeah, maces are kind of ridiculous for that reason. There's nothing strong against Strike damage.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I've seen only a single one.

Pilgrim Bellsomethingorother just before the Ruin Sentinels, inside a busted jail cell with a skeleton.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

So wait, there's still NPC summons? And you need to summon them for questlines? I know that reportedly the player signs thin out but is there something to make the NPC signs stand out? Or should I just check a wiki if I don't want to miss anything?

The only questlines are with Lucatiel and Benhart. Lucatiel's are The Rotten, Smelter Demon, Flexile, and Lost Sinner, while Benhart's are Last Giant, Looking Glass Knight, Prowling Magus, Throne Watcher/Defender. They each need to survive three out of the four for their questlines to end well.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Genocyber posted:

The only questlines are with Lucatiel and Benhart. Lucatiel's are The Rotten, Smelter Demon, Flexile, and Lost Sinner, while Benhart's are Last Giant, Looking Glass Knight, Prowling Magus, Throne Watcher/Defender. They each need to survive three out of the four for their questlines to end well.

You can summon Benhart for Giant Lord, not Last Giant. You can also summon him for the final boss if you face it separately from the nerds.

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 26, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

This sounds aggravating but only because of the type of person I am where I need to do everything I possibly can in a single runthrough.

turtlecrunch posted:

You can summon Benhart for Giant Lord, not Last Giant.

Oh whew, thought I had already started the process of loving up.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

The Throne Defender/Watcher fight has never worked for me. I've only gotten Benhart's quest completed with Giant Lord, Looking Glass Knight, and Prowling Magus.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Cowcaster posted:

This sounds aggravating but only because of the type of person I am where I need to do everything I possibly can in a single runthrough.

Oh whew, thought I had already started the process of loving up.

No matter how you beat the boss the first time it's actually ok, you can just ascetic the nearest bonfire and fight them again with the NPC.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
No really, you should all buy the silver cat ring and take a trip down the well. I want to introduce you to my friends. We can have a party! :v:

Actually for anyone that knows a lot about the stats in this game, I have a question; how viable would it be to branch out into pyromancy on an explorer? I want to use some flame magic for old times sake but I don't know how much skill investment it would take to make it worthwhile. These are my stats at the moment;

Also where did that lady you save from petrification run off too?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Internet Kraken posted:

Also where did that lady you save from petrification run off too?

She's at the foot of the stairs leading to the Way of Blue monument in Majula.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Door
but
ambush ahead.

Thanks for the warning, how hard could it... :catstare:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

jonjonaug posted:

The Throne Defender/Watcher fight has never worked for me. I've only gotten Benhart's quest completed with Giant Lord, Looking Glass Knight, and Prowling Magus.

If the fight segues into Nashandra's fight you also need to have him survive that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Internet Kraken posted:

No really, you should all buy the silver cat ring and take a trip down the well. I want to introduce you to my friends. We can have a party! :v:

I have no idea how to fall down the well correctly unless I'm missing something. I'm up to the part of the fall where I need to do a jump to get the next platform and I just can't do it right.

Unless there really is a ladder that all the NPC's keep joking about?