Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stultus Maximus posted:

What a dick. It's one thing to attack your opponent, it's another thing to attack your opponent for giving you a ham for Christmas.

The GOP's war on Santa Claus continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm wayyy behind in the thread reading about Hillary's VP choices so please excuse me, but I have a weird feeling that Hillary will not be the Democratic nominee in 2016. I'm not sure why other than it never seems to work out that way this far away from the election.
Anything is possible but the GOP has been so sure/afraid that it's gonna be Hillary in 2016 that they created Benghazi and repeatedly hammered on that Hillary murdered a bunch of Americans.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Stultus Maximus posted:

What a dick. It's one thing to attack your opponent, it's another thing to attack your opponent for giving you a ham for Christmas.
Unless you're Jewish or Muslim.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Joementum posted:

Let's say you're a 12 term, 90 year old, Republican Congressman from Texas in a R+21 district. What do you spend your campaign donations on?

If you're Ralph Hall, the answer to that question is obviously $33,000 worth of ham and chocolate. :hellyeah:

Yea gently caress it I'll vote for whoever runs on a ham and chocolate platform.

"Military spending? All I'm seeing is a big ol pile of nice cured ham or fancy swiss chocolate waiting to get bought."

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

Honestly if a GOP rep sent ham to every muslim in their district that would pretty much solidify the tea party vote in their favor forever no matter what their leanings were before.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Joementum posted:

And a candidate for Lt. Gov. of South Carolina wants to abolish public schools because they aren't in the Bible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4_DaY3Uzis

The shellfish menace must be stopped at all costs.

based gaddis
Jul 4, 2012

Joementum posted:

And a candidate for Lt. Gov. of South Carolina wants to abolish public schools because they aren't in the Bible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4_DaY3Uzis

I'm curious if this "Dave Jolly" giving him big ups for it is the one that just got elected in FL

http://godfatherpolitics.com/14692/sc-lt-gov-candidate-says-take-kids-public-schools/

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

based gaddis posted:

I'm curious if this "Dave Jolly" giving him big ups for it is the one that just got elected in FL

http://godfatherpolitics.com/14692/sc-lt-gov-candidate-says-take-kids-public-schools/

It isn't.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
You know, I'm awAre of the history of buying votes with a bottle of liquor and all, but seriously, if a candidate wants to take a few million from a billionaire/lobbyist/both and use it to buy food for all their constituents gently caress it that's a plus in my mind. It is a better use of the money than another twitter "expert" or whatever. Send every family a Christmas ham and every individual chocolate. It beats the usual "let me dump toxic chemicals in their water" bribe.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I dunno where to post this but has there been any talk/threads in D&D about glassdoor? It seems like if it reached a certain threshold it could be a pretty powerful tool

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

Fried Chicken posted:

At this point in 2007 she was up 23 points on her competition. Presently she is up 55. I think the only way she doesn't get the nomination is if she doesn't run

Having literally no competition isn't killing her chances.

Mornacale posted:

No guys, right-wing politician Hillary Clinton will unite with the right-wing Democratic Party to fight to move our country to the left!

Liberals can bitch about this all they want but until they start sending more people to Congress it doesn't matter if Bernie Sanders rides a flying pig straight into the White House nothing is going to change.

SavageBastard fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 26, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Im reading the new Michael Lewis book, Flash Boys, and its fantastic. I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone interested in the dark inner workings of High Frequency Trading. Alternatively its a great way to keep abreast of the new financial wankery Wall Street has invented with which to gently caress you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SavageBastard posted:

Having literally no competition isn't killing her chances.

Liberals can bitch about this all they want but until they start sending more people to Congress it doesn't matter if Bernie Sanders rides a flying pig straight into the White House nothing is going to change.

The Democratic party in America has focused so hard on the presidency that they've failed to see the importance of Congress (see: Senate obstructionism) and the governor races (see: GOP sweeps leading to horrible gerrymandering). For crying out loud, "ultra liberal" California has such a piss poor farm system that there wasn't anyone better than Jerry loving Brown to run for governor.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What jerry Brown rocks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

greatn posted:

What jerry Brown rocks.

"Let's run this guy who won 20 years ago" is not a sign of a healthy party. When I was living in CA, this was one of the things the liberal groups I was involved with complained about - a complete failure to groom young, local politicians who could move up the ladder.

e: also gently caress him and his refusal to obey court orders to relieve the inhumane prison system

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SubponticatePoster posted:

And even then, if he was unaware of the fact at least it was well-intended.

(Doubt you'd be unaware of your political opponent's religious leanings, admittedly.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

"Let's run this guy who won 20 years ago" is not a sign of a healthy party. When I was living in CA, this was one of the things the liberal groups I was involved with complained about - a complete failure to groom young, local politicians who could move up the ladder.

e: also gently caress him and his refusal to obey court orders to relieve the inhumane prison system

Yeah but isn't the young hotness Gavin Newsome about to take the reins as the face of the CA Dems?

Why didn't they run him for Gov?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
He was losing by double digits to jerry brown in public polling and dropped out to run for lt. Governor.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also he's a wishy washy centrist type who loves himself (openly) more than is advisable. Kamala Harris would be a better face of the party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah we wouldn't want any wishy washy centrists in the Democratic party would we now.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

You know, I'm awAre of the history of buying votes with a bottle of liquor and all, but seriously, if a candidate wants to take a few million from a billionaire/lobbyist/both and use it to buy food for all their constituents gently caress it that's a plus in my mind. It is a better use of the money than another twitter "expert" or whatever. Send every family a Christmas ham and every individual chocolate. It beats the usual "let me dump toxic chemicals in their water" bribe.

I don't know if this helps explain Ralph Hall's ham and chocolate thing but, I'll throw it out there for you. Years ago, I worked for some men that were pretty well politically connected in Texas. These were guys who worked the ground game for people like Mark White, Ann Richards and Jim Wright in his district. This was obviously before the days of the internet and cell phones so when I say they worked the ground game, they literally hit the streets and paid a visit to every precinct chairman, church and Kiwanis/Elks/Rotary in the area; recruiting people to get out the vote. Every christmas, they never failed to send some kind of gift box to the people in each precinct that they relied on for support. It wasn't a bribe, it was just common courtesy to show appreciation for the work they did. Given Hall's age, it doesn't surprise me that he does this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

greatn posted:

What jerry Brown rocks.

His founding of the suede-denim secret police was kind of a bummer, though.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I still miss my uncool niece :(

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hey folks! It's been nearly a month since I've followed this thread. Before I kinda used this as a us politics RSS, and I'm wondering if Fried Chicken or anyone else has been prepping next month's OP. If so, is there anything really big the spectacularly uninformed should be aware of? Is Sanders still making noise about a presidential bid?

e: 'hey folk!' oh god. Oops. #cryptoHitler #yolo

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 26, 2014

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey folk! It's been nearly a month since I've followed this thread. Before I kinda used this as a us politics RSS, and I'm wondering if Fried Chicken or anyone else has been prepping next month's OP. If so, is there anything really big the spectacularly uninformed should be aware of? Is Sanders still making noise about a presidential bid?

I think Sanders has emphatically denied it.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

anonumos posted:

I think Sanders has emphatically denied it.

You got a source for this? Because I'm an avid follower of Sanders and the last thing he said of the subject, that I'm aware of, was "I probably wouldn't need to run if Warren was in the primaries," which is something Warren actually has emphatically denied.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Pope Guilty posted:

Always smiling though.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Doctor Butts posted:

Reindeer, that being said, what is your opinion on open carry?
As practiced, the same. I think more broadly than handguns, even though they're really the topic of CCW and what not. In my upbringing, guns were utilitarian. If you were a rice farmer you had a shotgun rack in the back of your truck because you sometimes had to, or wanted to shoot something (i.e. scare off birds eating your rice, shoot a duck to eat or whatever). Carrying a pistol was something you did when you were driving across 12 hours of nothingness in West, Texas and you weren't sure if your car might break down in the middle of the night.

All other non-hunting situations, in my family and when I grew up, were covered by the opening scene of No Country For Old Men, basically. There was no gun fashion back then, other than the shotgun rack in the pickup, which actually was utilitarian to some degree still for most. Handguns were for protection and generally kept out of sight - no one would've thought to drag one into the five and dime for any reason unless they owned the store, where, again, it would be for protection.

I think if you had to choose open carry is preferable, though, because at least you can see what's going on. The idea that I might be in a crowd full of TFR "zombie" home invasion fanfic writers carrying concealed weapons when a black guy pops a bag as a joke just as an aluminum foil-wrapped sandwich falls out of his hoodie, well, that scares me a bit.

Juxtapose that with Manila, in the Philippines, where there's constantly someone with an openly carried, loaded weapon within a few feet of you. It puts you more on edge to be around that, but you can skirt the situation a lot better knowing that. About the only advantage to concealed carry is that the person with the handgun doesn't have the drat thing out playing with it, which is of some comfort since it's more likely to go off somehow (as does happen) if it's being handled or jangling around or whatever.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Joementum posted:

Let's say you're a 12 term, 90 year old, Republican Congressman from Texas in a R+21 district. What do you spend your campaign donations on?

If you're Ralph Hall, the answer to that question is obviously $33,000 worth of ham and chocolate. :hellyeah:

The Nino Brown of Texas?

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

zoux posted:

Yeah but isn't the young hotness Gavin Newsome about to take the reins as the face of the CA Dems?

Why didn't they run him for Gov?

If you were to sculpt, from clay, a model of an untrustworthy, too slick by half, filandering politician, he'd probably look like Gavin Newsom.

I've seen him on Real Time with Bill Maher a bunch of times, and the guy genuinely gives me the creeps.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

richardfun posted:

If you were to sculpt, from clay, a model of an untrustworthy, too slick by half, filandering politician, he'd probably look like Gavin Newsom.

I've seen him on Real Time with Bill Maher a bunch of times, and the guy genuinely gives me the creeps.

After looking up Gavin Newsom, a few things cross my mind. First, if that motherfucker ever put on a Huey Lewis and the News album I'd run for the door like a goddamn bolt of lightning. Second, for some reason, I always associated the name Gavin Newsom with a footballer, not sure why that is.

In all seriousness, I've seen him do a few talking head interview segments on MSNBC, and he seemed decent enough. He definitely gives off that DemoBot vibe, though. It's the hair. No one has hair like that anymore.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

BUSH 2112 posted:

After looking up Gavin Newsom, a few things cross my mind. First, if that motherfucker ever put on a Huey Lewis and the News album I'd run for the door like a goddamn bolt of lightning. Second, for some reason, I always associated the name Gavin Newsom with a footballer, not sure why that is.

In all seriousness, I've seen him do a few talking head interview segments on MSNBC, and he seemed decent enough. He definitely gives off that DemoBot vibe, though. It's the hair. No one has hair like that anymore.

Well done, sir. :golfclap:

I kinda needed a big belly-laugh, and this comment did it. Cheers :tipshat:

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

zoux posted:

Obama isn't blameless in all this mate.

I feel like history will record Obama as a conciliatory figure in the cast of Lincoln. Now, whatever he accomplishes is largely up to 2014 and how well the ACA fares. He'll get credit for the largest overhaul of American healthcare since Johnson.

The next decade or so will determine how this period in history will be remembered overall. The GOP had continued to obstruct any progress for nearly 6 years now. It's been pointed out, but a lot of those obstructionists are coming from former Confederate strongholds.

In mainstream circles, the American south is rightly seen as holding American politics at a standstill throughout the 1850s and 1860s. It's really plausible they could get that blame again. Sans Civil War II because that ain't gonna happen.

Fake Edit: My point about "a racist" vs "racist" wasn't to make some scholarly esoteric point. "A racist" is used by people on the right to isolate a person from a set of beliefs.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

radical meme posted:

I don't know if this helps explain Ralph Hall's ham and chocolate thing but, I'll throw it out there for you. Years ago, I worked for some men that were pretty well politically connected in Texas. These were guys who worked the ground game for people like Mark White, Ann Richards and Jim Wright in his district. This was obviously before the days of the internet and cell phones so when I say they worked the ground game, they literally hit the streets and paid a visit to every precinct chairman, church and Kiwanis/Elks/Rotary in the area; recruiting people to get out the vote. Every christmas, they never failed to send some kind of gift box to the people in each precinct that they relied on for support. It wasn't a bribe, it was just common courtesy to show appreciation for the work they did. Given Hall's age, it doesn't surprise me that he does this.

I can't think of this sort of thing without thinking of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMMkztRN-ns

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey folk! It's been nearly a month since I've followed this thread. Before I kinda used this as a us politics RSS, and I'm wondering if Fried Chicken or anyone else has been prepping next month's OP. If so, is there anything really big the spectacularly uninformed should be aware of? Is Sanders still making noise about a presidential bid?

I've been working on an overhaul of the OP. The thing is, I think it is getting uncomfortably close to the dividing line between "informative opinionated piece of writing" and "manifesto"

2016 "leftish" candidates:

Sanders is talking about it, it would be an independent run I believe, I think his goal is more to get economic populism more into the debate than any desire for the office.

Warren is polling well, in second place for most Dem support, but keeps telling people she isn't running

Biden is assembling a staff and keeps talking about how he could do it (and things like the trip to Ukraine here are steps to help him)

O'Malley is pitching to the liberal wing of the base

Schweitzer is pitching an interesting "liberal-tarian" suite of policies (personally I'd like to see his views get vaulted into the national dialogue, even if he doesn't go on)

Clinton can waltz to the nomination if she wants it.

Big stuff:

Boehner is attacking the Tea Party over failure to take up immigration reform

There is a push to replace Boehner as speaker (again)

Recent polls have incumbent southern Dem senators doing surprisingly well, putting the chance of the dems holding the senate in the 51-54% chance range (basically a tossup). Rove, Kristol, and a few others are unskewing the poll results again because they learn nothing. For now I'd treat that as an outlier and remember that the primaries aren't all done yet, so a lot stands to change

A new report detailing the excessive power the rich have on our politics is out from Princeton. Basically we are an oligarchy

Piketty's Capital in the 21st Century is making huge waves about inherited wealth and wealth concentration.

Lots of military hardware is being shipped out from bases in the Carolinas on rail, akin to what was happening in 2002 back when Bush hadn't even brought up invading Iraq in public yet. (Watching the trains near the big bases is a great and under reported way to track what is going on with out military positioning well before it becomes part of the public discussion) We will be getting involved somewhere, smart money is we are reinforcing NATO/backing up the Ukraine

Climate projections suggest it will be a year of water shortages

Food prices are steadily climbing

EFF and Mark Cuban are planning to do a big push for patent reform this summer

Housing market is making noises akin to trying to start your car when you are out of gas - construction is ready to pick up but there is a sharp lack of demand from our generation so there is no "fuel" for it

Abortion is more restricted, there is now a 5 state "hole" in the west after a pro life group broke into and trashed one of the last clinics and then bought the land of another and closed it down. But remember in this country, property destruction and violence for intimidation are ok if you are a christian.

New infrastructure report is out, in states that refused the stimulus it is even worse (eg Florida has 285 bridges now flagged as "imminent" for risk of collapse). In states that took it it isn't great because things are such poo poo it would have cost so much so the money went to repairs rather than replacing

Homelessness in major cities is at a new high (people are now living inside the Brooklyn bridge - as in wedged into the spaces between I beams and concrete, sleeping standing/leaning up)

The CBO reports that the ACA will be even more effective at bringing down costs than previously expected. They also report that the Medicaid expansion will be even cheaper

There was a breakthrough in preventing bacteria from adapting to antibiotics and becoming superbugs, identifying a property of Manuka honey that will have huge impacts for medicine and synthetic biology

Klansman who shot 3 people had previously worked with the police as part of the Greenesboro Massacre in 1979

Climate change looks to be worse than expected as we are looking at 5 C instead of 2 C. I reccomend reading "Global Panic" about the little ice age to understand how we are hosed

Thanks to good reporting and new labor organizing techniques, there has been a huge spike in revealing wage theft. Reminder that wage theft is not a crime, because lol why should the rich have to pay you?

In ongoing war against labor news, Northwestern football players voted on unionizing Friday, but at 10:50 AM Northwestern University got the NLRB to freeze the election so as to review the regional NLRB's decision to allow unionizing. Yes, literally (not at all figuratively) as the ballots were being cast they got the ballots impounded so the vote doesn't (for the time being) matter. Reminder that the NCAA is a 1 billion a year (well 912 million, plus donations) "nonprofit"

American middle class median income is now lower than Canada's, including after taxes. Our lower class incomes have been lower than those in Europe for a long time

Remember, it is 3 parts bourbon, 2 parts lemon, 1 part syrup.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I would read your manifesto, I think.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Bourbon?! Everybody knows the official drink of D&D is whiskey sours!

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

Bourbon?! Everybody knows the official drink of D&D is whiskey sours!

Dude. Really?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's disgusting. The official drink ought to be a heavy-handed Negroni.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

FAUXTON posted:

That's disgusting. The official drink ought to be a heavy-handed Negroni.

Let me tell you something about the Negroni

• Locked thread