Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
From Jeff Probst's EW blog during the season.

Jeff Probst posted:

JT’s hand-written letter to Russell is the kind of moment that reality producers dream about. You just can’t believe it’s really happening and you hold your breath that he won’t change his mind. (By the way, you’re no doubt wondering where they got pen and paper? It was part of Amanda’s luxury item that they won in an earlier episode.)

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/16/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-heroes-vs-villains-episode-9/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What was the last all-newcomer season that didn't have a weird gimmick tacked on? This season has the Tyler Perry idol; One World had... well, one world; Nicaragua had The Medallion of Power, what else has there been?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

What was the last all-newcomer season that didn't have a weird gimmick tacked on? This season has the Tyler Perry idol; One World had... well, one world; Nicaragua had The Medallion of Power, what else has there been?

Samoa had Russell Hantz, so you'll have to go back further than that

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I thought it was Gabon but that had exile island. I guess it's China.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just finished Redemption Island. I can see why it's lumped in with the bad seasons cause there's not much in the way of great strategy but as a huge Boston Rob fan it was a joy to see him completely school everyone for the whole season. Also there was crazy Philip and the hilarity of Matt being endlessly beaten with the poo poo stick at Redemption Island.

Felt really bad for Natalie at the FTC though. Yeah, she was super naive but that's no reason to have such a go at her :smith:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Rarity posted:

Just finished Redemption Island. I can see why it's lumped in with the bad seasons cause there's not much in the way of great strategy but as a huge Boston Rob fan it was a joy to see him completely school everyone for the whole season. Also there was crazy Philip and the hilarity of Matt being endlessly beaten with the poo poo stick at Redemption Island.

Felt really bad for Natalie at the FTC though. Yeah, she was super naive but that's no reason to have such a go at her :smith:

Next you get to watch one of my favorite seasons. (although most people will disagree with me).

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

Next you get to watch one of my favorite seasons. (although most people will disagree with me).

GODAMMIT ANOTHER loving HANTZ

:negative:

e: Oh god, and he's really loving creepy

Rarity fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 26, 2014

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Aerox posted:

The Super Idol is lame because it virtually guarantees that the rest of the players in the game can't even attempt to vote that person out. It's literally a free ticket to the finals unless someone does something super idiotic.
If a guy has the super idol and you don't have the 2/3 majority for vote splitting, the only way to get rid of him is to sacrifice a member. It's like drawing rocks, except with no chance someone from the other alliance draws the purple rock. In other words, there's no point in even bothering to vote that guy out, and you oughta just let him cruise to the end instead. Ridiculous power.

Spatula City posted:

Tony is more personable. His strategy is more erratic, but unless the editors are really lying to us, he handled the post-LJ situation REALLY WELL, soothing everyone except Jefra. I wish that idol hadn't existed, but Tony deserves a huge amount of credit for getting to this point, and I think, idol or no, he'd be in until at least final 5. Next boots will probably be one of the brains and then Woo or Jefra.
Or Trish handled it really well, keeping her cool and pulling Jefra back in.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Rarity posted:

Disclosure: I'm not a Boston Rob fan

The main reason I feel this season really sucked (and possibly my all-time least favorite) is because yeah he schooled everyone for the whole season - but even if you are a fan - is it that interesting to watch a FOUR time player school a bunch of people playing for their first time? Not only that, but most were starstruck fans of him. The season may have had some potential if Russell and Rob both made merge because then at least there would be strategy maybe - but instead it was just hey I've done this poo poo wrong a few times so let me use my unprecedented experience to dominate a bunch of newbies.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
And hey it's cool that I've always been really good at puzzles and almost EVERY challenge this season involves a puzzle.

(I really hated this season)

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Joose Caboose posted:

but instead it was just hey I've done this poo poo wrong a few times so let me use my unprecedented experience to dominate a bunch of newbies.

I don't know that he ever really "got poo poo wrong" though, winning Survivor requires a lot of luck. He was eliminated in Marquesas because of bad tribe mixing luck and he was in control of the villains in HvV and probably would have stayed so had Tyson not been a complete moron who didn't understand vote splitting (Rob explained it to Tyson a number of times in the episode; there's no way he could have predicted Tyson's stupidity, just like Tasha and Spencer can't be blamed for not seeing Kass's incredibly stupid move coming). Then we have All-Stars, where he potentially (depending on your level of cynicism) made the most manipulative Survivor move ever (post game even!), by proposing to Amber before the results were read (so Amber, not knowing who would win, has a very strong incentive to say yes) thereby guaranteeing he gets access to the money regardless of who actually won.

You're right in that Redemption Island is just him schooling a bunch of newbies, but it's not because he eventually figured out how to win after bungling 3 previous attempts. It's because Boston Rob is one of if not the best castaways to ever play the game.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Shakugan posted:

I don't know that he ever really "got poo poo wrong" though, winning Survivor requires a lot of luck. He was eliminated in Marquesas because of bad tribe mixing luck and he was in control of the villains in HvV and probably would have stayed so had Tyson not been a complete moron who didn't understand vote splitting (Rob explained it to Tyson a number of times in the episode; there's no way he could have predicted Tyson's stupidity, just like Tasha and Spencer can't be blamed for not seeing Kass's incredibly stupid move coming). Then we have All-Stars, where he potentially (depending on your level of cynicism) made the most manipulative Survivor move ever (post game even!), by proposing to Amber before the results were read (so Amber, not knowing who would win, has a very strong incentive to say yes) thereby guaranteeing he gets access to the money regardless of who actually won.

You're right in that Redemption Island is just him schooling a bunch of newbies, but it's not because he eventually figured out how to win after bungling 3 previous attempts. It's because Boston Rob is one of if not the best castaways to ever play the game.

That is fair. I don't remember Marquesas circumstances at all because I haven't seen it since original airing, he did dominate All-Stars and got screwed by others stupidity in HvV. I do think he is deserving of a Survivor win and is one of the best people to play. BUT the time he did win I feel was in the least satisfying situation and therefore I had a lot of trouble appreciating it and had a lot of cynicism in that season hating him.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I quit watching Redemption Island two or three episodes from the end because it was a foregone conclusion. That sort of situation is what I'm worried about for this season, if it just becomes too obvious that Tony's winning.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

This is a whole new kind of Hantz. Teenage daddy bipolar born again Christian Hantz.

Also the Gooniest survivor, Cochran.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

The Lord Bude posted:

This is a whole new kind of Hantz. Teenage daddy bipolar born again Christian Hantz.

Also the Gooniest survivor, Cochran.

There's also the idiot country singer who cheated on her boyfriend on national television!

And, Jack and Jill :haw:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Just got caught up. The super idol is pretty much the worst thing to ever happen to the show. I'll take Redemption Island over the TP idol any day of the week.

Its been fun watching Spencer and Tasha but I don't really see any way out of this mess for them now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Yeah it's a guarenteed final four spot for Tony. There just aren't enough players left to make any sort of serious move against someone with the super idol. It's totally gamebreaking.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The only redeeming factor of the idol is that Tony hasn't revealed to everyone that he has the idol, or what the special power is. His alliance is in a position where they can cut him loose if he keeps acting crazy without much trouble, and he's played a "big game" with two people announcing their intention to vote for him if he makes the final. If everyone realizes it makes no sense for Tony to pull something wrapped in cloth and then announce "THAT WAS A FAKE IDOL BY THE WAY...", he's planted in their minds that he could have an idol, so it could end up a 4-2-1 split vote or something.

In that scenario, the idol basically functions like a normal one except without any chance of it being misplayed. It's still a little lovely, but I think it's the best possible scenario - if he says "If you vote me out I can just nullify your votes and one of you is going home," I think he bullies his way to whenever it stops being valid.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

You'll have to watch Big Brother 14 to complete the Hantz trifecta.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You should watch it anyway- it's a crazy season that has some hilarious moments. BB15 followed by cementing itself as the most vile season of BB!

Also: Hantz's never disappoint. At least in the entertainment sense, excluding their own show.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Apr 26, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is it me or is Coach actually kinda likeable this time round?

And you know, I thought Russell was bad but Brandon is so much worse. At least Russell owned the fact he was a dick.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

And you know, I thought Russell was bad but Brandon is so much worse. At least Russell owned the fact he was a dick.

Russell is a dick, but I'm pretty sure Brandon has legitimate mental health issues - his social media life has been interesting. He's now separated from his wife, has a new true love every few days, posts legitimately crazy videos to youtube, etc. Rob C has regular updates on the Brandon Crazy train from his special 'Hantz correspondant'.

You may be interested in some backstory - Brandon married his wife when they were 16, after he knocked her up. I believe I remember reading some stuff that was dug up in the south pacific thread, re: brandon having a history of being physically abusive towards her.

But at least you get Cochran that season. Someone should dig up that thread he made as a teen where he showed off all his disgusting nose surgery photos.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Joose Caboose posted:

Disclosure: I'm not a Boston Rob fan

The main reason I feel this season really sucked (and possibly my all-time least favorite) is because yeah he schooled everyone for the whole season - but even if you are a fan - is it that interesting to watch a FOUR time player school a bunch of people playing for their first time? Not only that, but most were starstruck fans of him. The season may have had some potential if Russell and Rob both made merge because then at least there would be strategy maybe - but instead it was just hey I've done this poo poo wrong a few times so let me use my unprecedented experience to dominate a bunch of newbies.

The people competing that year were not Survivor fans for the most part (that's usually how it is) and they were shown clips of Russell and Rob from HVV. Of course they idolized Rob because he got a great hero edit and they hated Russell and voted him out quickly. Rob was a great player but the fact it took him four tries to win takes a lot away from it, same with Tyson who is a far inferior player to Rob but had a lot of the same idol worship helping him along.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Lord Bude posted:

But at least you get Cochran that season. Someone should dig up that thread he made as a teen where he showed off all his disgusting nose surgery photos.

Oh poo poo is this the guy who's a goon? That makes so much sense.

Bigass Moth posted:

Rob was a great player but the fact it took him four tries to win takes a lot away from it

There are plenty of great players who have never won it at all, I think anyone getting the win deserves respect for it. Except Neleh. gently caress Neleh.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Rarity posted:

He's not terrible but I think the most common opinion round here is that Coach v3 is the worst Coach.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

Brandon also had a YouTube series called enHANTZed. Looks like some of the episodes are missing, but this is pretty representative of them:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZy15S9Co88

enHANTZed... comegetchusome.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm thinking Ozzy's alliance made a huge mistake for not voting out Cochran early. The one thing he's got to offer is that he's clearly gonna have a strong strategic game so it makes sense to take him out while keeping the tribe strong is the main deciding factor.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Rarity posted:

He comes and goes with being somewhat likeable. Also, I forget how far into the season - but I hope you like religion with a side of Survivor because if I remember right - that was one thing that became unbearable in the stretch you're currently in.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Joose Caboose posted:

He comes and goes with being somewhat likeable. Also, I forget how far into the season - but I hope you like religion with a side of Survivor because if I remember right - that was one thing that became unbearable in the stretch you're currently in.

Yeah, I didn't really mind Matt going on about God so much cause he needed something to keep him sane and he never really made an effort to play the game but going straight from that to Brandon is a bit much.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

xbilkis posted:

The only redeeming factor of the idol is that Tony hasn't revealed to everyone that he has the idol, or what the special power is. His alliance is in a position where they can cut him loose if he keeps acting crazy without much trouble, and he's played a "big game" with two people announcing their intention to vote for him if he makes the final. If everyone realizes it makes no sense for Tony to pull something wrapped in cloth and then announce "THAT WAS A FAKE IDOL BY THE WAY...", he's planted in their minds that he could have an idol, so it could end up a 4-2-1 split vote or something.

In that scenario, the idol basically functions like a normal one except without any chance of it being misplayed. It's still a little lovely, but I think it's the best possible scenario - if he says "If you vote me out I can just nullify your votes and one of you is going home," I think he bullies his way to whenever it stops being valid.

What would be interesting is if Spencer convinces everybody that the idol Tony has is the special one, based on the clue they all got earlier and the fact that Spencer had the only available normal idol at the same time. As a last ditch effort at tribal when he's out of options, he could at least stir up some controversy by arguing something like "lets throw 4 votes to Tony to flush out the idol, and 3 votes to Tasha or I, so that if he plays it, one of us is still going home". Its suicidal, but at least it gives the one of Spencer/Tasha who doesn't get voted out a better chance going forward.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Vernacular posted:

What would be interesting is if Spencer convinces everybody that the idol Tony has is the special one, based on the clue they all got earlier and the fact that Spencer had the only available normal idol at the same time. As a last ditch effort at tribal when he's out of options, he could at least stir up some controversy by arguing something like "lets throw 4 votes to Tony to flush out the idol, and 3 votes to Tasha or I, so that if he plays it, one of us is still going home". Its suicidal, but at least it gives the one of Spencer/Tasha who doesn't get voted out a better chance going forward.

That's a clever play. Something like that might actually save the season. It all hinges on being able to convince people to vote Tony.

Barring a play like that, the only thing that can stop Tony is the final immunity challenge.

I wonder what would happen if the idol plays leave no votes on anyone after the first go-round. Everyone eligible on the revote except immunity and idol players?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The super idol does bring in an interesting strategy for next season. Someone could get a regular idol, show everyone, and then tell them that it's a super idol.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Rarity posted:

There are plenty of great players who have never won it at all, I think anyone getting the win deserves respect for it. Except Neleh. gently caress Neleh.

:confused: Neleh lost that season, Vecepia won.

Shakugan posted:

The super idol does bring in an interesting strategy for next season. Someone could get a regular idol, show everyone, and then tell them that it's a super idol.

Yeah, I think the only interesting thing about the new idol are lies like this. It would also be interesting if Tony lies about what special powers the Idol has-- though it's also very unfair since the other players have no way to know if he's lying.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mancalamania posted:

:confused: Neleh lost that season, Vecepia won.

That's how awful the winner was, I don't even remember her!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Rarity posted:

That's how awful the winner was, I don't even remember her!

That's ok, nobody really remembers that season after Boston Rob got voted out. The purple rock was the only even remotely interesting moment after that.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BGrifter posted:

That's ok, nobody really remembers that season after Boston Rob got voted out. The purple rock was the only even remotely interesting moment after that.

I did really like Kathy's transformation from the annoying outcast to smartest player in the game.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rarity posted:

Oh poo poo is this the guy who's a goon? That makes so much sense.

That's him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BGrifter posted:

It was super funny when right after Boston Rob was voted out that alliance of four people that did it got super smug about their control over the other five people and flat out showed them the boot order in a challenge so the five people just did some basic math and voted him out.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That reminds me, I was watching the most hilarious episode of Panama yesterday ("I will drive to your lovely apartment and kill you" "...my apartment isn't lovely!") and it made me wonder: Why don't they do those coconut chop challenges more frequently? They've been doing a bunch of challenges that are really lovely television (memory/holding a ball on a stick), so they might as well hold a recycled challenge that could legitimately shake up the game.

The auction and the gross food challenge have both made strong comebacks after inexplicably disappearing for a while, so I'm always hopeful that type of challenge returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I swear they did a coconut chop as a reward challenge on One World and it went down exactly as you'd expect it to, and it had little influence on the rest of the season.

If anyone with a better memory than me has the details please chime in.

• Locked thread