Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

"Yes, is this the Bo Dallas hotline?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

"Yes, is this the Bo Dallas hotline?"
This was the best. That woman was so freakin' rude. I couldn't even understand what she said.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I feel bad for Dr. Lucha because he thinks Figure 4 Weekly is a thing humans read.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LividLiquid posted:

This was the best. That woman was so freakin' rude. I couldn't even understand what she said.
To be fair, they also said that she probably got a lot of people calling that number.

Also, Bryan's whole tangent on Emma's snake puppet looking like an...'Usic' (sp?)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Austin: So any of you kids out there in the indies, if you wrestle a rat and backdrop it, make sure you do it from 51 feet or higher so that it'll sell. And if it don't, then it's exposing the business :colbert:

I love Austin's podcast :allears:

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Punch/Pisspisscasterspodscasters:

I don't want to venture into the NJPW threads to ask this: What's with all the random capitalization of Japanese wrestler names? TAKA? Wasn't that guy just Taka Michinoku, here? Why does his name have to be in yelling text on the webspace? TAICHI? Who? Why? KAGEtora? Why is one half of your name capitalized and the other is in lower-case in my English spell-space? I assume Japanese esoteric language stuff is the cause, here, and also that I am stupid and probably racist.

Separate question: Pick the most convincing person in the current WWE roster to kick the poo poo out of Lesnar.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Desumaytah posted:

Punch/Pisspisscasterspodscasters:

I don't want to venture into the NJPW threads to ask this: What's with all the random capitalization of Japanese wrestler names? TAKA? Wasn't that guy just Taka Michinoku, here? Why does his name have to be in yelling text on the webspace? TAICHI? Who? Why? KAGEtora? Why is one half of your name capitalized and the other is in lower-case in my English spell-space? I assume Japanese esoteric language stuff is the cause, here, and also that I am stupid and probably racist.

Separate question: Pick the most convincing person in the current WWE roster to kick the poo poo out of Lesnar.

The general q/a thread is good for questions like that and we welcome newcomers in the NJPW thread. Most Japanese wrestlers' names are written in kanji characters like average Japanese people, such as 中邑 真輔 for Shinsuke Nakamura. Some wrestlers, like TAKA Michinoku, KENTA, KUSHIDA, and YOSHI-HASHI are written in all cap Latin script for a different effect. As to why I guess that would indeed be kinda esoteric Japanese language stuff, but from talking to people who actually know Japanese like harperdc on this form it basically seems to be for style reasons. They'll be written that way on chyrons during Japanese wrestling broadcasts and are generally the only wrestlers whose names are rendered in the Latin alphabet.

Gaijin wrestlers like Prince Devitt (プリンス・デヴィット) generally have their name written in Katakana, a syllabic writing system generally used for foreign names and many foreign loan words and not in the Latin alphabet. So does Kazuchika Okada ever since he came back from TNA and adopted the Rainmaker gimmick for some reason as well, so it gets tricky.

There's also weird cases like Minoru Suzuki who uses the standard Kanji for Suzuki (鈴木) but the Hiragana for Minoru (み(mi)の(no)る(ru)).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Apr 24, 2014

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle

Jerusalem posted:

Austin: So any of you kids out there in the indies, if you wrestle a rat and backdrop it, make sure you do it from 51 feet or higher so that it'll sell. And if it don't, then it's exposing the business :colbert:

Austin's podcast is amazing. Even when he's saying goofy poo poo like that, it's still heaps better than Jericho's retarded attempts at humor. I've yet to laugh at anything he says and just end up fast forwarding to the interview.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jerusalem posted:

I laughed so hard at that.

Quicksand_Jesus posted:

Austin's podcast is amazing. Even when he's saying goofy poo poo like that, it's still heaps better than Jericho's retarded attempts at humor. I've yet to laugh at anything he says and just end up fast forwarding to the interview.

The irony is that Jericho is a naturally fun, entertaining guy who doesn't need to try as hard as he does for laughs.

Regarding Heyman, I think people are willing to ignore/put up with his bullshit because it's so refreshing to hear someone involved with wrestling whose frame of reference extends beyond wrestling.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CombineThresher posted:

The irony is that Jericho is a naturally fun, entertaining guy who doesn't need to try as hard as he does for laughs.

Yeah, when he tries to force the humor it falls flat more often than not, but if he just talks or he gets into an interview then it's very engaging to listen to.

JR's interview with Jim Cornette was good, and they spend a chunk of it talking about Paul Heyman and just how good he is. Cornette sounds like he is a bit more relaxed at the moment which is nice, I sometimes worry that guy's head is going to explode.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, when he tries to force the humor it falls flat more often than not, but if he just talks or he gets into an interview then it's very engaging to listen to.

JR's interview with Jim Cornette was good, and they spend a chunk of it talking about Paul Heyman and just how good he is. Cornette sounds like he is a bit more relaxed at the moment which is nice, I sometimes worry that guy's head is going to explode.

Cornette is either at peace or stressing out as much as he ever has in an attempt to sound like he's at peace.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
Back by oh so popular demand...

Wrestling With Marks-ism - Episode 2 "Ring of Hugs"
Now available on the iTunes Store

Zarikov and I reflect on the Ring of Honor TV Taping in Baltimore last weekend, which does not work well if you are actually bothering to not spoil anything. We also discuss the extremely surreal experience that was the ROH After Party featuring what appeared to be a middle-aged bachelorette party and an on-stage confrontation between one of the boys and a guy from the cover band. Who could it be?! We also bullshitt about our previous attempts at collaborating on certain projects.

And remember: if you don't find all of our episodes incredibly entertaining, it is ChemicalWarfare's fault for being a primadona.

RSS Feed
Show Twitter
Take me and my dick jokes seriously as an adult
Daniel Bryan lookalike

As you listen to this, keep in mind that I've always been targetting goons and people who I know in real life as well. I try to avoid namedropping anyone who isn't universally known, but I'm sure it still happens.

ExplodeYourself fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 25, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jerusalem posted:

He says that he's a lot happier and calmer now that he's not involved with a wrestling promotion anymore. He just does conventions and appearances around Kentucky these days.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Luigi Thirty posted:

He says that he's a lot happier and calmer now that he's not involved with a wrestling promotion anymore. He just does conventions and appearances around Kentucky these days.

Yeah, I think his time at ROH finally made him see that the wrestling business has passed him by.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Jerusalem posted:

I just started listening to his podcast today and his rant on rats is hilarious.

"In 2006, it was revealed that a team of scientists at Tel Aviv University in Israel had created brainship out of rat neurons. I don't know why the gently caress they did that but they did that."

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
Listening to Jim Ross fantasy book a Cena heel turn has now turned me off the idea of both a Cena heel turn and fantasy booking in general, so good job there, JR.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Listening to Jim Ross fantasy book a Cena heel turn has now turned me off the idea of both a Cena heel turn and fantasy booking in general, so good job there, JR.

He wasn't though. He was booking a way for Undertaker to go out with the streak intact, playing up the idea that fans would assume that Cena could win it and become a Heel.

He thinks there's no money in John Cena being a heel.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Onmi posted:

He wasn't though. He was booking a way for Undertaker to go out with the streak intact, playing up the idea that fans would assume that Cena could win it and become a Heel.

He thinks there's no money in John Cena being a heel.

Fair enough. I didn't care for it at all, frankly, since the idea of winning the belt just to willingly vacate seems silly and wasteful to me. Then again, so does the idea of Cena turning heel by beating the streak.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BlueArmyMan posted:

Fair enough. I didn't care for it at all, frankly, since the idea of winning the belt just to willingly vacate seems silly and wasteful to me. Then again, so does the idea of Cena turning heel by beating the streak.

Yeah I wouldn't involve the Title, I understand why he would do it though, since it helps work the fans into thinking Taker is going to leave, he can't leave with the belt.

I mean... it was nice that Edge left on top of the world, but Edge's case happened by coincidence. I think sometimes? it's nice to go out on top of the world, but in the case of Undertaker, the Streak should have been his Top of the World. No one will ever equal it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

I saw him speak in Kentucky not too long ago - guy seems super relaxed now (by Cornette standards, to be clear). And while this is maybe the least surprising news ever, he's fantastic to listen to and is genuinely one of the most entertaining speakers I've ever seen. He also clearly explained stuff like Steen & Generico so, even though I still disagreed with him some (particularly on Generico), you could understand where he was coming from.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
I only just started on the Hey man/Austin podcast, and it's seriously killing my childhood listening to SCSA shill for his sponsors. The Texas Rattlesnake who trusts no one shouldn't be telling me about LegalZoom.com.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Meat Recital posted:

I only just started on the Hey man/Austin podcast, and it's seriously killing my childhood listening to SCSA shill for his sponsors. The Texas Rattlesnake who trusts no one shouldn't be telling me about LegalZoom.com.

Legally protecting yourself in case of an accident is the responsible way to DTA.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Meat Recital posted:

That's the thing, though; he points out that when doing the podcast, it's not Stone Cold, just Steve Austin. He does do some of the Stone Cold character when he does the wrestling with the fly bit, and it's a noticeable difference, but the fly bit was pretty terrible, so I don't blame you for skipping it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved the fly episode :colbert:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Jerusalem posted:

I still can't believe that Snuka would do that :(

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Jerusalem posted:

Someone sent me the link to that bit last night. Turns out Stone Cold is just a big dork. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCp4DGGqVzo

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Meat Recital posted:

On the other hand, hearing him enthusiastically extol the benefits of visiting Cougarlife.com is loving hilarious

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 26, 2014

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
How do you think old Stone Cold could afford to have a man in every city to throw beer to him? Beyond that, how do you think he could afford to pay for that guy's Tommy John surgery?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

shut the gently caress up about childhood killing it's not 1999

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Meat Recital posted:

He's just trying to make some money up in this bitch. Gotta pay those gimmicks that come in the mail called bills.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I don't think Austin actually takes ALPHA BRAIN or gets his legal advice from Legal Zoom, so if you think about it he's lying and lying is a form of deception and deception is sneaky and snakes are sneaky and rattlesnakes are snakes.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

BlueArmyMan posted:

That's the thing, though; he points out that when doing the podcast, it's not Stone Cold, just Steve Austin. He does do some of the Stone Cold character when he does the wrestling with the fly bit, and it's a noticeable difference, but the fly bit was pretty terrible, so I don't blame you for skipping it.

The best example of this is when "Steve Austin" interviewed "Stone Cold"

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

triplexpac posted:

The only good part of that segment.

Superfly, you go straight to hell :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

I don't think Austin actually takes ALPHA BRAIN or gets his legal advice from Legal Zoom, so if you think about it he's lying and lying is a form of deception and deception is sneaky and snakes are sneaky and rattlesnakes are snakes.

I think he actually uses the razor service, the man knows a good deal and a good shave.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

triplexpac posted:

Which episode was this?

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Funktastic posted:

Which episode was this?

The fly episode, after the match. Unless there's another time I'm not remembering.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

BlueArmyMan posted:

The fly episode, after the match. Unless there's another time I'm not remembering.

Based on episode descriptions, Episode 28 looks like another time this happened.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The thing to keep in mind is that those episodes were filmed while he was in Mexico and bored out of his mind. Considering his old method for dealing with boredom on the road was to go down to the hotel bar and drink alone till the early hours of the morning, I'm quite glad he's not the "old Stone Cold" anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All adverts should be done by Stone Cold Steve Austin.

• Locked thread